Football (American style)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

redcloud
Known user

Re: Football (American style)

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: The criticism of Tebow has been immense, but he fought thru and had one of his best games in his young NFL career : 300+ yards passing, 2-3 touchdowns, qb rating of 125 pts. , etc., etc. He chewed up the Steelers secondary with ( oh my gosh ) long passes !

I love that he did everything nobody thought he could do. Holy shit, the guy who everybody dissed at the start of the season threw the ball repeatedly towards Polamalu...and won!
I'm not a god fearing bloke, but I'm a disciple now. Jesus is alive. :wink:
I saw this and had a chuckle:

"Tebow had 316 yards passing and averaged 31.6 yards per pass in the game didn't escape notice on Sunday night. Tebow wore "John 3:16" on his eye black in the 2009 BCS Championship game and has since become identified with the famous Bible message. The coincidental stats caused millions of fans to perform Google searches on the Bible passage in the past 24 hours. Here's one more unbelievable stat: John Ourand of Sports Business Journal reports that the final quarter-hour television rating for the Broncos-Steelers game was, you guessed it, 31.6."
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'm sorry, but that is no coincidence, it is just plain freaky : John 3:16 and 316 yards, 31.6 per pass AND 31.6 rating is just unexplainable.

Terrell Suggs last week was just blasting Tebow and he tweeted that he was just amazed by his performance !

ROLL TIDE !
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:
ROLL TIDE !
I didn't really care who won this game I was just hoping for a decent match. Unlike the Rose, Fiesta and Outback Bowl the championship game was void of sparks and high drama. But, it was also no contest who won...Alabama hands down dominated. In fact, I don't think LSU's offense showed up. Certainly their offensive line seemed absent.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Saturday, after running my errands, etc. I am parked on the couch for both of those games. I think the most anticipated game would be the 49'ers vs. Ain'ts. Offense vs. Defense. I doubt that this will be the high scoring game last week w/ Detroit. I'll take S.F. in that game. Tebomania stops at Foxborough. Patriots will win that game.

Sunday, I'll take the Ravens over the Texans and Packers over the Giants.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Saturday, after running my errands, etc. I am parked on the couch for both of those games. I think the most anticipated game would be the 49'ers vs. Ain'ts. Offense vs. Defense. I doubt that this will be the high scoring game last week w/ Detroit. I'll take S.F. in that game. Tebomania stops at Foxborough. Patriots will win that game.

Sunday, I'll take the Ravens over the Texans and Packers over the Giants.
I don't think they are the "Aint's" anymore. Their Super Bowl win put that monikor to rest. One day I hope to say the same about the Browns. To be able to put to rest their hapless, bumbling years will be great. I can't even begin to tell you how many jokes I get literally on a daily basis for being a Browns fan. But, when they do one day win a championship every bandwagon, glory supporter fan will stock up on Browns gear and say how cool our no-logo team named after a legendary coach really is and how they have always loved us! :roll:

But, I digress...

SF v NO should be a good game. I think either team can win. Not sure who I will be rooting for...probably SF as they are only 540 miles south of Portland.

Denver vs New England....I agree that I don't think Tebow has it in him to win in Boston. But, Denver does have a solid defense. Saying that, they were toasted last time they played New England. I'd quite like to see Tebow do it again. Tebow has been a great story this season but I am also tired of New England. We need new blood.

Ravens vs Texans....I hate the Baltimore Ravens. Only Pittsburgh and possibly the Dallas Cowboys receive more bad energy from me (although the current Jets have quickly made themselves another easy to hate team). These teams really get under my skin . Life is too short...I know. BUT, I have never liked Pittsburgh or Dallas and Baltimore's return to the NFL is still a sore wound to all Browns fans. I am hoping for Houston to light these fuckers up and send them back to Baltimore.

Green Bay vs NYG...hmmmmm.....don't really care. I don't mind GB but similar to New England...I am bored of them!
NYG are just one of those "whatever" teams that I don't care about.
Last edited by redcloud on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I hope NO kills SF and they wipe the smile off that smug piece of shit coach of theirs. I hope Drew Brees picks them apart.
And then you can watch SF kick field goals all night when they get in the red zone. NO is the hottest team in the NFL right now.
Long may it continue.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: NO is the hottest team in the NFL right now.
Long may it continue.
NO vs GB NFC Championship could be like one of those College Bowl games.....serious offense and little defense.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Beats the hell out of a defensive struggle like Alabama and LSU. That was unwatchable.
Yep, for a Championship game it was pretty dull compared to a few of those exciting bowls we were spoiled with on January 2nd!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

spzretent:

are you still upset that :

- Harbaugh backslapped Schwartz after the game ?
- that Harbaugh is a "Michigan Man" ?
- or that Niners beat Shitroit earlier this year ?

Maybe all (3) choices ? :oops:

Neverless, should be a great game !
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

One of the above.
He has always been an arrogant twat. From his days at Michigan to his days in the NFL. He thinks he is smarter than everyone.
I realize he has done a great job this year. It is his antics, and yes the condescing explantion of the backslap is part of it. That is a no no. Did you watch the reactions of the NFL commentators? They all agreed.
So yeah, I cant stand him. Plain and simple. I hope they get blown out tonight.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Harbaugh is like Pete Carroll up in Seattle. They are both very rah-rah college style coaches. I can overlook his moment of idiocy with Schwartz. Unlike Rex Ryan for the Jets, I think Harbaugh will have learned from his gaffes and you probably wont see him do that again. Ryan on the other hand is an obnoxious, loud mouth whose losses are quickly eclipsing his win ratio.

There is also no question that Harbaugh has been the spark of the SF organization that Singletary wasn't. In one year they have made a complete full swing and with pretty much the same players. It helps that their division is weak BUT, he clearly connects and inspires his players to win. I also like that SF has stuck with the development of Alex Smith at QB and it seems to be paying off. Time will tell if Smith is "the guy" or if he is just having a great season.

I know I keep harking back to the Browns...but, I wish we had a coach who inspired and motivated our players like Harbaugh clearly has in SF. I also hope that our front office sticks with the development of Colt McCoy. Like Alex Smith, I think with patience McCoy can grow into that role and be "our guy".
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Lets see how long the rah rah shit works. Pro sports history shows that it fizzles out quickly.
SF would be scary if they had a good qb. He has made Alex Smith serviceable. He rarely gets them in the end zone.
I do think Smith is still a work in progress. But, they have been patient with him, which is good and encouraging to all developing QB's. Let's see how it pays off. If, like Josh Freeman (2010 Tampa Bay) and Derek Anderson (2007 Browns), this is a fluke year...then SF's QB position will need to be seriously addressed.
Unfortunately for the Lions its seems like Schwartz's reaction to the "backslap" set the tone for a portion of the season. Glad they stopped the Bad Boy stuff the last few games. Really after the NO game they stopped it. Unfortunately the refs still hosed them but they have no one to blame but themselves.
Fire Millen!
Some serious holes in the Lions defense. On paper the d-line looks good but they were shredded as were their defensive backs by NO and a 2nd string GB unit. More discipline next year may be the key to them winning more and becoming serious contenders.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Yeah. Defense wasn't their strong suit this year. Especially at the end of the season. But then NO and GB rank at the bottom of the NFL in defense too so at least we have good company. Still, if anyone told me we would have a playoff game this year when the season started I would have laughed my ass off.
I definitely trust the GM/Front office. Once they got rid of the king of incompetence, Matt Millen, the ship seems to have righted itself quicker than anyone thought. No reason to not think they will improve again this off season.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Once they got rid of the king of incompetence, Matt Millen, the ship seems to have righted itself quicker than anyone thought.
I often question if Cleveland needs to rid itself of Randy Lerner. He could then focus on Aston Villa FC and the Browns may get somebody dedicated to truly bringing a winning team to Cleveland. I'm not sure if Lerner's heart is there nor do I think he understands how much the city lives and breathes for their Browns. It is in the fabric of every Cleveland'er. Shamefully we have been given shit for too long that the legacy of the once proud team is now just a ghost and stories told by the die hard, old guard.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Is Randy Lerner the owner or GM?
The owner here is horrible. When Millen's contract was up the fans were so happy. It was a foregone conclusion he was a goner. What did Mr. Ford do? Gave Millen an extension. The most incompetent front office person in sports history got an extension. All because mr. Ford wanted to say fuck you to the fans. No one was going to tell him what to do.
Some of the t shirt lines that came out here because of him are hilarious.
One has a Ford logo and says "Rebuilding Since '57".
When we went 4-0 in 2008 in the preseason and then went 0-16 someone came out with shirt that said. "Detroit Lions 2008 Pre Season Champs. Winning When It Counts".
It is because of Mr. Ford I gave up on the Lions. Or became a bandwagon fan. Most of my friends have season tickets and they stopped asking me to go years ago because I would not go to a game. My own personal protest.
I rarely watch the NFL during the regular season except Lions games. I cant stand it being shoved down my throat by ESPN.
I do like the playoffs.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Is Randy Lerner the owner or GM?
The owner, which means we are probably stuck with him unless he decides to sell to somebody.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Joe's Picks (Broadway Joe, by the way):

"New Orleans Saints vs. San Francisco 49ers — I said this was my game to watch and now you'll find out who I like. I know it doesn't make sense going against the experience of the Saints, but with the 49ers at home and with the way they protect the ball, I think they'll win. I like that Frank Gore kid, too. Oh baby, he's a player. "

Alex Smith is a terrible quarterback, will he improve remains to be seen ? How would you perform with 6-7 offensive coordinators during that time and working w/ several head coaches i.e. - Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary and now Harbaugh.

Harbaugh turns water into wine, look at the programs that he has turned around in a short amount of time i.e. - Stanford ( top 10 college team, recruiting Andrew Luck, etc. ) and turning the 49'ers into a 13-3 season ( I know that still the NFC West is weak ), but beating Detroit Lions and Philly Eagles on the road and Shittsburgh and NY Giants at home and almost beating the Dallas Cowboys ?

Let's play smashmouth football now ...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spacemanrich wrote:
Harbaugh turns water into wine, look at the programs that he has turned around in a short amount of time i.e. - Stanford ( top 10 college team, recruiting Andrew Luck, etc. ) and turning the 49'ers into a 13-3 season ( I know that still the NFC West is weak ), but beating Detroit Lions and Philly Eagles on the road and Shittsburgh and NY Giants at home and almost beating the Dallas Cowboys ?
Still doesn't stop him from being an asshole. And its good for sports. It gives me someone to root against.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: Alex Smith is a terrible quarterback, will he improve remains to be seen ?
I disagree. He isn't terrible. He is solid and he is developing and he is getting the job done. Does that make him great? No. But, look at all 32 starting QB's. There are only a few that you can say are truly great. SF are currently playing against one of them!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Wow, what a great game!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

WOW!!!! What a game! 4th quarter was brilliant.

And...uh...spacemanrich, your "terrible" QB just put your boys into the NFC Championship game! If I was a 49er fan I would be pretty damn stoked with him.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

WoW is right. (4) lead changes in the last 4 minutes of the game ! Alex Smith drove the Niners done 85 yards in 1 minute 45 seconds for the win ! All the analysts had the Saints pegged, but the Niners defense is downright nasty, they took Thomas Pierre right out of the game. Hopefully, Alex can get his self-confidence and self-esteem back, even Terry Bradshaw mentioned that he had (7) offensive coordinators and (3) head coaches in his short NFL career. Harbaugh is doing something right, the players believe in him ! What a win on a beautiful S.F. day !

Could get ugly in New England. Tom Brady is 8 for 8 with (2) touchdowns in the 1st quarter ( i think both td's to Gronk ) ? Earlier this week, Chad Ochocinco asked Wes Welker and Troy Brown how come T.Brady is so grouchy. They both said, " it's playoff time ! " He is as serious as one can get. He's been getting some flak since he has won no Super Bowls post Giselle Bundchen.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I gave up on the Denver game well into the 1st half. Just looked at the score....not totally unexpected. Denver had an advantage last week as Pittsburgh were very bruised and battered. New England certainly look like the team to beat in the AFC.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

After the Pats game last nite, they will probably represent the AFC I can't see the Texans/Ravens beating them. Tom Brady was focused and Gronk is just a Polish beast ! Defense was suberb, God was absent last nite for Tebow. :oops:

Last nite, Dan Marino said that the Niners can beat either the GMen or Packers ! (S.F. already beat the NY Gianst this year) Flat out said that, because the defense can snuff out both of those teams - we'll see ....

I wouldn't mind a 49'ers/Packers vs. New England game.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:After the Pats game last nite, they will probably represent the AFC I can't see the Texans/Ravens beating them. Tom Brady was focused and Gronk is just a Polish beast ! Defense was suberb, God was absent last nite for Tebow. :oops:
New England were also playing a flawed opponent yesterday. NE gave them absolutely no passing game and forced them to run. Once they did that they were able to shut down the running game. Denver's defense, however, couldn't stop NE's high powered offense. Pure blow out.

Baltimore and Texas could represent stiffer competition for the Pats. Personally, I have never rooted for a Texas team but I really dislike the Ravens for obvious reason. I hope they get torched today.

San Francisco are the dark horse in all of this. They played well on both sides of the ball but I think their defense can cause problems for both the Pats and the Packers.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Bah humbug! 2nd string QB in Houston couldn't get it done (or is he a 3rd stringer?). But, Baltimore are going to have to step it up a notch if they are going to beat Brady and co. Their offense looked flat. Flacco, like Romo, has never convinced me.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Green Bay look terrible...dropped passes, fumbles and unfortunately outplayed by the Giants who are now healthy and are hot at the right time.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Just like their loss to Kansas City....I think Green Bay TOTALLY underestimated the Giants.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

How about the Giants beating the Packers hey? Next year the Vikings will do it, all the way!!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Packers / Giants game was so boring yesterday. I was hoping for a nail-biter. Still pleased with the outcome, but it sure didn't feel like a playoff game.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I didn't see all of the Packers game but what I did see was littered with mistakes. I think Alan is right, they were rusty from sitting their starters in week 16. I also think they underestimated NY.

BUT, we were also spoiled with that amazing SF v NO game. That 4th quarter stands as THE best 15 minutes of professional football all season.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I just read this article and it makes me mad....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... flinlondon

I'm not a Rams fan...so it does not affect me. But, I totally sympathize with their hard core, working class fan as well as the season ticket holder. There are only 16 weeks in a regular season. 8 home games and 8 away. So, that means that one of their home games is stripped away from the population that lives in the city of St. Louis and who support the team. Also, a season ticket holder will now only get 7 home games. This is total bullshit and completely 100% behind making a larger profit margin.

Imagine if the EPL decided to do this type of thing? One Arsenal, Leeds, Man U etc. home game in NYC every year? Fuck that. If the NFL wants to play in London fine but why don't they do it during pre-season when it's an exhibition game and the true fans don't care as much?

:evil:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

It's all about $$$$$$$$$$ !

Increase interest in the NFL and perhaps an NFL team abroad in the near future - which I think is a very bad idea !!!

At least the EPL, La Liga, etc. are friendlies and not real matches...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

AFC Championship was tighter than I expected. I predicted New England would win by 10. I was glad to see Baltimore shank the game tying field goal. Bye bye Ratbirds. :lol:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Another great game btwn Pats and Ravens. Tom Brady didn't play his best game, but it would good enough.

That was called a pork shank ... what an easy miss.

On to a wet, muddy and windy day at the Stick - football weather. Let's play smashmouth football !
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Great game again ! You got your wish spzretent - a Harbaughless Super Bowl.

ONLY two turnovers in the game for the Niners by Kyle Williams ! He gave the G-Men 10 points !

I'll take the Pats over the G-Men now.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Great day for football fans! Two superb games.

Interesting that both losing teams had a player make serious mistakes that essentially cost them the game (Baltimore's kicker & SF's punt/kick returner - who actually made the mistake twice!).

Sorry spacemanrich, I know it doesn't help but you should be proud of your team. To go from a 6-10 season last year to an overtime loss in the NFC Championship in only one year and with a new coach is pretty damn incredible. Even more impressive when you consider that the team didn't have much time to practice or study the playbooks due to the lock out. The Niners future is bright.

On to the Super Bowl....rematch of 2008 and NE has a score to settle.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Both of Sundays game decided by 3 pts. ! Yeah, the kick/punt returner lost the game for the Niners. No turnovers for them until the second half w/ Kyle Williams committing both of them. That's the way it goes, I didn't think that they would get this far. Still a young team to work with next year ...

I was actually more sad w/ the passing of JoPa - R.I.P. - he got shafted in the end with this scandal. A coach who dedicated 60-65 years of his life to Pennysylvania State University ! His wife and him have donated millions of money into Penn's State - library, student scholarships, other endeavors and I don't think hardly any money into football - more to life than football. During his tenure, I don't think that he has committed one NCAA infraction i.e. - no money under the table, no unscrupulous dealings w/ boosters, no loaning of cars to players, etc... It wasn't the lung cancer that killed him, it was the permeation and erosion of his soul over this scandal. He didn't die a lonely man ( surrounded by family, friends and fans ), but a defeated man ... succumbed to life. Only one person is responsible ( in my opinion ) SANDUSKY. That guy should be castrated and hanged !

I remember an article awhile back where a Nike representative wanted to ' update ' Penn State's helmet and uniforms and JoPa said, "NO!" Penn State is about tradition ! Now, don't be suprised if you see O'Brien changing the colors and perhaps the helmet of Penn State to satisfy Nike ( the evil empire ).

R.I.P. - JoPa - the last of his kind
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

JoePa does not get off that easy.
He looked the other way and let Sandusky's abuse continue. He is at the very least responsible for that. He seemed bordeline senile at the end and hiding behind letting the athletic dept handle it was a cop out imho If he was that out of touch with reality he should not have been a head coach at a major university.
I'm not for piling on when someone passes away. I am simply responding to your post.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I agree with Alan.

Paterno and everybody else who knew what was going on DIDN'T do anything to protect the kids nor did they do anything to make sure it wasn't still going on. Clearly, they were all more concerned about the reputation of their football program and the university than they were with people's lives. That, to me, is criminal.

Paterno's legacy at the university and the team may be long and storied but this scandal completely tarnishes it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Super Bowl predictions?

I'm bored of the Patriots and the Giants are just kind of a "whatever" team for me. I don't dislike the Giants but I don't follow them at all. So, I don't really care about the winner of this game. I just hope that we get another good one like we had when these two last met in 2008. In fact, thinking about it....the past four or so SB's have been pretty good games.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I liked the half time show. It was probably all lip-synched, but who cares? My only gripe is that I don't like those idiots from LMFAO (can't believe I just typed that "band's" name).
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Great game. Glad it came down to the final drive. That 40 yard catch was brilliant and a game changer. But then again, the pass from Manning to thread it into his arms was equally phenomenal.

Prediction time: Super Bowl "L" (50)....the Cleveland Browns will represent the AFC. 8)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Tom Brady is soft, he hasn't won anything since post GB (Gisele Bundchen) : http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... -teammates
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spacemanrich wrote:Tom Brady is soft, he hasn't won anything since post GB (Gisele Bundchen) : http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... -teammates
Know what?
She is right.
Wes Welker catches that pass on the last NE drive we are talking a completely different outcome.
Especially when some asshole Giants fan is heckling her right after the game at the suite level elevator.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Draft Day tomorrow (4/26)......I honestly cannot wait to see what Cleveland does with its two first round picks. Most people think # 3 and # 4 could be huge picks that decide the rest of the draft. Especially if Minnesota (# 3) trade down and somebody leap frogs to # 3. Current rumors have Cleveland at # 4 taking either RB Trent Richardson or WR Justin Blackmon. Yet, other rumors have us taking the QB, Tannehill. Being a supporter of Colt McCoy, I'd be happy with either of the first two options then, at #22 taking a WR (if we get Richardson at 4). Then we need to address our O-line and our defensive secondary/linebackers in the other rounds. Oh, and a fullback too would be good. Or, do we take the stud CB (Claiborne) at #4? Decisions, decisions.

Watch us go and trade down (again) or draft somebody like a punter or a long snapper. Honestly, I wouldn't put it past Cleveland. :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Welcome to Cleveland, Trent Richardson! Love that pick.

Scratching my head a bit at pick #22 but I'm not surprised we chose a QB. Personally, I would have been elated if we chose one of the top five receivers instead. As three of them were already gone I was hoping for Stephen Hill at 22.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Browns have been sold....perhaps Randy Lerner wants to spend more time with Aston Villa? Who knows. Maybe he plans to sell AVFC as well? Apparently part of his daddy's deal was that he couldn't sell Cleveland for at least 10 years. He inherited them in '02 I believe and so, ten years on he sells for 1 billion. Sold to a man who made his fortune with truck stops. Truck stops....very American and very working class for a working class team and its blue collar fans. It all sounds good....my one concern is that the new owner is part owner of the Steelers too (our main rival)! However, two parts of the deal apparently are:

1. The Browns must remain in Cleveland
2. The portion of the Steelers that he owns must be sold before he takes over control of the Browns.

I guess, if all this is adhered to then it must be a good thing. Mr. Lerner never really showed much interest in the Browns so hopefully this guy will. But, I do think it will mean that the current Browns President, Mike Holmgren, days may be numbered after this season. Not that he has done much since he was hired. Best thing Holmgren did was bring our GM, Tom Heckert, to the team. I hope he at least stays with us.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm treating it positive and hoping it may bring some more serious investment and commitment.

Have to admit I don't like the fact that he owns part of the Steelers but if NFL Commiss ensures he sells that portion as part of the deal (as it says in stipulations) then I will feel much better. In a perfect world the Brownies would be owned by the city like GB are. But, this isn't a perfect world and more importantly....we're talking about Cleveland!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Looking forward to the start of the NFL season but with some trepidation. I expect noticeable improvement and I hope for at least 7+ wins. But, Cleveland has a tough schedule this year (we play the AFC west and the NFC east) and we are also in the toughest division in the AFC. So, who knows. I seriously hope we can win more than 4 or 5 games though. I've read that some sports journalists think 2013 will be Cleveland's "breakout" year. :|

College wise...I have season tickets for Portland State University football. Big offense, little defense....always fun. They are the only team I know of that can score 65 points and still lose! :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ok so, I know it is only pre-season BUT....the Browns sure looked good last night against Green Bay!

:D
HorizonRadar
Known user

Post by HorizonRadar »

Sky announce a new 3 year deal to show NFL games. Cutting it fine but they got it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

HorizonRadar wrote:Sky announce a new 3 year deal to show NFL games.
Wonder what teams/games they will show?

Cleveland start off week one against Philadelphia. :|
For those in England that's like Southampton starting off playing Manchester or Arsenal. Tough days ahead but maybe Philly will underestimate us and we'll upset them. One can only hope....
HorizonRadar
Known user

Post by HorizonRadar »

They show the same game as US channels get. Same Sunday evening game anyhow, think they have a choice at the earlier kick-offs. BBC Online are doing the Monday night game too.
Up until 2 days ago it looked like there might have been no coverage at all. Delighted Sky got it.
They do a good job.

DAL 24-17 NYG was the first seasons & first Sky game last night.

Let's go Steelers! :arrow: :arrow:
HorizonRadar
Known user

Post by HorizonRadar »

I like the Browns. Proper Franchise. The dog-pound lol
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

HorizonRadar wrote:
Let's go Steelers! :arrow: :arrow:
HorizonRadar wrote:I like the Browns. Proper Franchise. The dog-pound lol
Sorry my friend, you can't say "lets go Steelers" and then follow it up with "I like the Browns". They are bitter rivals. One of the best rivalries in American football that dates back decades. Because of the proximity between the two cities, their industrial, working class populations and they are in the same division make the games intense and fierce. Even though Cleveland have struggled to beat them in recent years it is still a HUGE game on both teams schedule and one with an extremely passionate fan base.

To compare it to something in the EPL I guess it would be similar to the rivalry between Liverpool and Man U or West Ham and Tottenham.

And on that note...I HATE the Steelers with a passion! :twisted:
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

redcloud wrote:
And on that note...I HATE the Steelers with a passion! :twisted:
I agree with Redcloud on this one, I despise the Steelers and I will be at the Broncos v. Steelers game on Sunday night. Of course, Redcloud probably despises the Broncos for the three AFC Championship game in the 80s. :D I was actually sat right in front of the Earnest Byner fumble at Mile High in January 1988. The greatest play Jeremiah Castille ever made.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Alex English wrote: Of course, Redcloud probably despises the Broncos for the three AFC Championship game in the 80s. :D

:cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:

The pain and the tears that flowed were devastating to anybody and everybody closely related to Cleveland. "The Drive" was still fully engraved in our minds....but we actually thought that this was our time. Even when we fell behind the belief was there that we could win. The momentum had swung in our favor...had we scored we would have gone to the Bowl. The pain of those losses as well as other playoff losses was still very raw when fucking Modell moved us to Baltimore. Only a Clevelander will know that horrible, sickening feeling on that day when it was announced he was moving the team. I remember specifically seeing my dad cry for the first time when it was announced they were moving. At least, it was the first time I acknowledged he was crying. Only recently has he started to watch them again...shame the team just struggles year in year out. But ONE DAY.....we will rise again. I have hope. That's what keeps me watching every game and following them very closely.
I was actually sat right in front of the Earnest Byner fumble at Mile High in January 1988. The greatest play Jeremiah Castille ever made.
One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

At the time, the disbelief that this was happening again was more overwhelming than frustration or anger at Byner. After the shock and the sickening feeling began to subside I actually felt sorry for Byner. Understandably, he was vilified in Cleveland and eventually cut. But, he was picked up by the Skins and won a Super Bowl ring. I have read though that he regularly dreams about that one play.

Good luck with your season Alex. But, just remember that on Dec. 23 the gloves come off and I wont be Mr. Nice Guy. :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yep, Cleveland lost. But, only in the final minute of the game. Most Philly fans will have chalked this up as an easy win. It was far from that. Our offense was bad. Our QB was horrible. But, our defense were beasts today and we damn near pulled off a major upset. Had L.T. Fort held on to that interception in the end zone we would have been giant killers. I guess I can take some positives. Offensively though we have to improve if we are to be competitive.

Oh, and Alex English...thank you and your Broncos for beating Pittsburgh. I'm so glad they also lost game one. Hoping Cincy beat Baltimore on Monday night.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I'm from LA, but my family is from NYC/NJ and we've always been Giants (and Knicks) fans. It's a long season, we'll get it together.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

49'ers are the real deal ! Shitroit next week, I hope Harbaugh doesn't slap Schwartz too hard in the back this time around ... :oops:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spacemanrich wrote:49'ers are the real deal ! Shitroit next week, I hope Harbaugh doesn't slap Schwartz too hard in the back this time around ... :oops:
I'm so happy SF have Harbaugh as their coach. It finally gives me an NFL team to fucking hate.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Ah c'mon, spzretent ?! Harbaugh ain't so bad. He's a winner. Turned Stanford into a BCS contender and as a 1st year coach had a record of 13-3, nevermind that they play in a soft division. But beating GreenBay in GreenBay was huge. This team is loaded w/ talent on both sides of the ball - offense and defense.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:49'ers are the real deal !
Calm down....it's only week one. There are 15 games still to play. But, I'll grant you that a win in Wisconsin was a good start.

I also think Seattle might be a tougher opponent than week one showed. Although I'm not sure why they chose to start Wilson over Flynn. With 10 or so chances in the red zone not to mention the fourth time out granted by the replacement refs....I guarantee Flynn would have won against the Cards.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hate to say it but Baltimore looked good tonight. Damn them birds! :evil: