Football (American style)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Football (American style)

Post by TheWarmth »

The interesting thing about this Calvin Johnson play is that I've spoken to multiple people who insist that the call was correct and that the rules simply need to be changed. I'm no expert with the rules, but it seemed like a touchdown to me.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Everything I have read points to the fact that the refs in the Detroit vs Chicago game made the correct call. The play, however, looked good to me.

More importantly though in Jim Schwartz's press conference he was a true gentleman with stellar sportsmanship. He said that there's no point harking on about one play...it was the culmination of several things the Lions didn't do and errors that ultimately beat them. Sometimes you get the calls and sometimes you don't. Class act.

Now, I just hope the Browns can learn from their mistakes, protect the ball and go out and show that they are an improved team. After week two our schedule gets MUCH harder. Yesterday's game should have been a win. Hopefully, we'll get a win this week against KC.

Hopefully! :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Interesting first week of football...seven playoff teams from last year lost their opening game this season. The Jets received so much coverage and hype in the off season but they looked totally inept last night.

And how about Kansas City ripping San Diego apart last night? The Chiefs offense in the first half looked pretty awesome at times. Defensively too, hats off to them for stopping the Chargers from coming back in the second half. Browns play KC this Sunday. What I had initially circled as a win before the season started is now looking a little more worrying....
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I know we've covered the Glazers quite a bit in the past, but there was a very good article in today's Guardian which I thought some of the forumites on both side of the pond might be interested in:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/davi ... ter-united
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Regarding that Guardian article on the Glazers...isn't it interesting how fans of each respective team on both sides of the ocean feel exacly the same way? I can't speak for Tampa Bay/Man U. fans but the team I support (Cleveland Browns) are owned by Randy Lerner who also owns Aston Villa FC. Most die hard Browns fans will tell you that Lerner needs to choose between one or the other because in our eyes his investment seems to favor his English football club and not us.

God, I would love for the Browns to be like the Green Bay Packers...owned by the community rather than one person.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yo Spzretent, Spartans bye week?

I didn't attend either Univ of Oregon or Oregon State so no allegiance here. But, as I now live in Oregon I do like to see both our major Uni's do well.

That said, the Ducks play Portland State today. My son and I often pop down and watch PSU games. They're fun in the sense that they can score 50 points yet still manage to lose the games (reminiscent of the Nigerian soccer team, anyone?)! PSU's main rivals are Montana and Weber St who are both class organizations pulling many talented kids from California. But today's game will be a different story...even the Ducks 3rd string should annihilate the Vikings. Why such weak competition? UofO were meant to play Illinois but the Illini pulled out so the PSU game is a late addition to the schedule. Should be good experience for PSU and $$$ for the University though. But, who knows...maybe Portland State can pull off an upset that triumphs even James Madison's win over VT last week? Oregon State have Louisville, which in theory should prove more interesting.

Sorry, I know I'm probably rambling to myself but I'm doing my best to keep this thread alive in a forum dominated by Britons who have little interest in our version of football. :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Spartans at home to play Ta dah....Notre Dame. 8pm start.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

That should be a good match. Good luck. Strangely, Yahoo's front page for NCAA doesn't have that game listed on today's schedule :roll: . Thus, the reason I thought they were on a bye.

Is Stafford playing tomorrow? Our #2 QB (Seneca Wallace) most likely starting for us too.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Wow....spzretent's probably still celebrating. Last second play and a risky call helps win it for his boys. Sweetness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctt6L_Ul4SE
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I would have been were it not for fasting all day for Yom Kippur, then breaking the fast with a giant helping of jewish soul food(bagels, cream cheese, lox, noodle kugel, blintzes etc..). Then falling asleep just as overtime was about to start. I didn't know what happened until the 3am Sportscenter.
Gutsy call even though he rationalized it completely. Glad to beat Notre Dame and be 3-0.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Another rough week for us Recloud. Losses by Browns & Lions by a grand total of 5 points.
I'm sick to my stomach. Second week in a row that we play decent in the first half...go into halftime with the lead and then come out totally flat in the 2nd half, manage to go scoreless and allow the opponent to come back and win the game. Just plain sick.

I do take some glee in the fact that both Dallas and Minnesota are also 0-2!
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

The Lions make me laugh.
Luckily I live on the west coast.
So I never see any games.
I read the ticker...
And usually it starts good with a score !
Then they fuck it all up ! 8)
So the schedule looks like they won't win a game !
Next week in Minnesota ! with an 0-2 Vikings ! lol.
This is gonna be good !
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yo Spzretent and Muscles (?)...Quality win for your Lions today (against Green Bay) and with a 3rd string QB no less.

Shame I can't say the same about the Browns. They looked totally inept against Buffalo. Jake Delhomme HAS to go. Or maybe I just expect too much from somebody who is earning 7 million. :roll:
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

3-10 is a reason to CHEER !
after the last few seasons ! :D
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Anybody see that classless idiot on the Jets coaching staff trip up the Dolphins player? What a fucking idiot. It speaks volumes of the Jets organization.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote:Anybody see that classless idiot on the Jets coaching staff trip up the Dolphins player? What a fucking idiot. It speaks volumes of the Jets organization.
The Jets keep showing us how much of a class act they're not.

"The NFL suspended New York Jets strength coach Sal Alosi for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs without pay for his intentional tripping of Miami Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll(notes) on Sunday. He was also fine $25,000. The announcement, first reported by Jay Glazer, came hours after an apologetic Alosi met with the New York media to reiterate his regret for the incident.

In a brief statement at Jets headquarters in New Jersey, Alosi told reporters that he had apologized to Carroll, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, Jets owner Woody Johnson, team general manager Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Rex Ryan. He said he didn't offer his resignation and would be accepting of any punishment that was handed down.

That ended up being three games, and any potential Jets playoff games, without salary, an essential ban for the rest of the season. The decision was jointly decided upon by the Jets and the NFL. That, plus the fine, is a severe penalty for a coach who makes a working-man's salary, not the millions of dollars earned by the players he trains take in per year.

The 33-year-old coach looked nervous in front of the assembled media earlier on Monday, but his words and mannerisms seemed sincere."
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I just saw something on tv this morning about how some teams line their coaches on the sidelines like that on kick off and punt returns specifically for situations like that, when the opposing teams players get pushed out of bounds its less likely for them to get back into the play. Seems like cheating. This guy just took it a few steps too far.
I do enjoy watching these New York teams lose. Hell, Detroit should have beaten the Jets too.
And the Yankees didn't get Cliff Lee. Bonus!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

spzretent wrote: And the Yankees didn't get Cliff Lee. Bonus!
I woke up this morning to the news of Cliff Lee coming back to Philly, for less money too. I'm in a complete state of shock! :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Jets are bogus. The Browns took them to OT with our rookie QB. Hell, we should have beaten them had Chansi Stuckey not fumbled in OT. :x

I do love the fact that the Jets haven't scored a TD in two weeks. Looking at their roster is like the Miami Heat of NFL yet their overrated QB can't get the ball into the endzone. New England made them look like a bunch of high school boys. :lol:

Regarding Cliff Lee...good for him. Shame the Indians had to cut costs and shave him from their salary but then again he's been on about 10 teams in the past 2-3 years. Glad he now has a place to call home. Dude is amazing and brings much spark and weaponry to any team he's on. Also glad he didn't sign to the Yanks!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Yeah, it's crazy. Reminds me of the Braves' rotation of Glavine, Maddux & Smoltz, back in the 90's. If Werth is kicking himself, I'm sure all that money with cure his ills. I just wish he wasn't in the same division. Now we get to face him a lot next year.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I think the Phillies new rotation is better. You have arguably the best two pitchers in baseball. The other two aint so bad either.
I am so happy to see an athlete, at the top of his game, take less money and go somewhere he wanted to play. I'm sure the MLB Players Association is none too happy about him taking less money.
And he called the Rangers GM and walked him through the negotiations and explained why he decided what he did. He is a class act.
I have been glued to the MLB Network for months. Its making this shitty weather more bearable.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Early Super Bowl predictions?

At the moment I don't think any team in the league is playing better than New England and I see only Pittsburgh ( :evil: ) getting in their way. Jacksonville too are playing solid ball and capable of pulling off an upset or two. But, Baltimore and San Diego are flawed & Kansas City will collapse.

In the NFC I think Atlanta are by far the best team. New Orleans and Philadelphia potential upset makers (Chicago are flawed and Green Bay will struggle without Rodgers but more importantly GB's O-line are appalling!).

All of this said, I guess I predict the Bowl will be: Patriots vs Falcons.

On another note...how about the BCS game? Oregon vs Auburn

Obviously I have to support Oregon. Ducks offense is a well oiled machine and when it gets rolling it is hard to stop. Auburn don't have the typical SEC defense either. In fact, I think Auburn's defense is rated below Oregon's and the PAC-10 is not known for defense! Oregon's defense have a big task too...to shut Cam Newton down or else he will pick the Ducks apart. I predict a 4th quarter shoot out with Oregon winning the prize!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am one of those rare people that had interest in the NFL burned out of me due to the inept management of my home team. Especially during the Matt Millen era. I watch most of the games because I work sundays and we have a flat screen in the shop. My knowledge of all things NFL is limited. I know no one is playing better than New England. I have not seen Atlanta play.
I'd like to see a New England vs New Orleans Super Bowl.

BCS. Since I have no rooting interest other than against Can Newton's Dad, so by default that makes me an Oregon fan, I just want a close, down to the wire game. Michigan State have a monster match up vs Alabama. I think MSU is gonna get killed. I hope i'm wrong. They should want revenge on Nick Saban.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

How come Univ.of Nike keeps changing their uniform ( no influence by Phil Knight ) ??? The uni's suck by the way.
Yeah, Cam didn't know ANYTHING about the pay-for-play situation regarding his father - yeah right. Don't deny he's a good player, smashed all SEC records and he's 6'6'' and can run and pass (ala Vick), but could potentially much better than him in the NFL, but still don't like him.

All pro and collegiate sports have gone to hell and are corrupt ... :cry:
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

spzretent wrote:I think the Phillies new rotation is better. You have arguably the best two pitchers in baseball. The other two aint so bad either.
I am so happy to see an athlete, at the top of his game, take less money and go somewhere he wanted to play. I'm sure the MLB Players Association is none too happy about him taking less money.
And he called the Rangers GM and walked him through the negotiations and explained why he decided what he did. He is a class act.
I have been glued to the MLB Network for months. Its making this shitty weather more bearable.
Lee's definitely a class act, watched the press conference a little earlier. Should be interesting with those four if they all stay healthy. Apparently Lee & Werth are pretty tight. Lee said Werth wasn't too happy when he told him that he signed with Philly.
I'm in football mode now but baseball is really my thing, can't wait for 2011 season.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:How come Univ.of Nike keeps changing their uniform ( no influence by Phil Knight ) ??? The uni's suck by the way.
Yeah, Cam didn't know ANYTHING about the pay-for-play situation regarding his father - yeah right. Don't deny he's a good player, smashed all SEC records and he's 6'6'' and can run and pass (ala Vick), but could potentially much better than him in the NFL, but still don't like him.

All pro and collegiate sports have gone to hell and are corrupt ... :cry:
University of Oregon is Phil Knight's Alma Mater. So, it's a given that Nike, which is HQ'd in the Portland area is going to use the Ducks jerseys as their testing ground for new designs. Why not? Not that big of a deal. Sure, the bright yellow jerseys are hard on the eyes (bit like Boise State's blue field!) but I quite like their all white strip with the silver wing design on the pads and silver O on the helmet. I also like their all black strip with the silver wing design. When you see their O-line and D-line crouched in their stances wearing those two strips they look pretty formidable. They are wearing an all white uni in the BCS game but with bright yellow green socks that blend into the back of their cleats. Say what you will about their multiple jerseys but the team get the job done on the field and are a high performance machine.

Also, have to get use to the design changes because Nike replace Adidas as designers of Pro football strips next year.

No denying the corruption in sports...but it certainly is not confined to the USA. Plenty of corruption in sports across the globe. It all comes down to the vast amounts of money. We're all just greedy pigs.

Minky...predictions? How far do you think Vick can lead your boys in the playoffs?
Last edited by redcloud on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Just got my Tigers season ticket renewal last week. 27 game package. Cant wait.
BCS- I do get sick of all the SEC chest thumping about how great they are. Fun to see them lose. Go Ducks!
I'm jealous. So many great memories going to see the Indians and Browns with the old man. My son and I go see the Trailblazers (NBA) but we can only afford about 4 maybe 6 (if we're lucky) games a year. Even the cheap seats aren't so cheap anymore. We try to get up to Seattle to see the Indians when they play the Mariners and next year the Browns are scheduled to play the NFC West with an away game in Seattle. As long as the team isn't a bunch of scrubs due to this potential lockout we'll get tickets and turn it into a weekend in Seattle.

MLS arrives in Portland spring 2011. That should be fun. The rivalries with Seattle and Vancouver will be great as all three teams were in USL together and enjoyed intense rivalries, which should continue in MLS.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote: Minky...predictions? How far do you think Vick can lead your boys in the playoffs?
Good question. With this team this season, I've been taking it game by game. Sundays game against the Giants is crucial for both teams.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Bears? Flawed?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:The Bears? Flawed?
Yea...sounds ridiculous coming from a Browns fan, I know.

I'm just not sure about Jay Cutler. Are you guys sold on him? Also, losses to the inconsistent Seahawks and Redskins stand out. Last weeks thumping by New England is excusable though as the Patriots have played great football since their humiliating loss to the Browns ( :D ). That said, if I were a Bears fan I would be a bit worried that they only scored one TD against NE but allowed 36pts to be scored on them.
Last edited by redcloud on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Not only that, they did lose once('cept for that ridiculous call at the end) to the Lions and almost twice.
Paul, are you really sold on the Bears? Really? Lions did them yet another favor last week. Not only beating Green Bay but knocking out Aaron Rogers.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Not only that, they did lose once('cept for that ridiculous call at the end) to the Lions and almost twice.
Paul, are you really sold on the Bears? Really? Lions did them yet another favor last week. Not only beating Green Bay but knocking out Aaron Rogers.
Agree. BUT, I think Detroit and Buffalo have played much better than their records. They just need to learn how to finish games. Hell, same can be said for Cleveland.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: but knocking out Aaron Rogers.
And we all know how crucial that play was. Green Bay are pathetic without Rodgers. If he comes back their O-Line had best learn how to protect him. Wasn't this his 2nd concussion this season?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

How the mighty have fallen...first Brett Favre now Donovan McNabb.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I don't know how the Eagles can come off such an incredible win against the Giants last week only to be totally killed by the Vikings. They looked terrible. It was embarrassing!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Obviously the Bears are flawed. Am I sold on them? I don't know. I think their chances of winning the Super Bowl are pretty slim because it doesn't seem like any team can beat the Patriots. However, it is pretty annoying that people are constantly ragging on them. Do the wins against the Eagles and the Jets mean nothing? My buddy who is a Packers fan is constantly arguing that the Packers are a better team than the Bears, so I suppose we'll see what happens this weekend (but then, even if the Packers win, that puts those two teams and 1 and 1 for the season against each other). Also, I think Cutler has really pulled it together in the second half of the season. You can't argue with the numbers he put up against the Jets.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Definitely don't want to face your Bears. This whole NFL season has been so unpredictable. Who knows what's going to happen.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote: it doesn't seem like any team can beat the Patriots.
Oh yes there is....take a look back to November 7th, my friend.

:D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Embarassing doesn't begin to describe how I feel after Michigan State got waxed today. 49-7 and it wasn't even that close.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ouch! Sorry dude. I had that game on but quickly lost interest when it was clear it was going to be a blow out. I guess, in a sense, for a Spartan it feels somewhat better knowing that the Wolverines also got their asses kicked in their bowl game.

Normally I'm not a fan of Texan teams but I admit I would love to see TCU beat Wisconsin (14-10 at the moment).
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The sporting gods really, truly hate Cleveland and all of her teams. The only thing I can say about today's horrific end of season performance is that it probably makes Mike Holmgren and Randy Lerner's decision about coaching changes much, much easier.

:roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Are you kidding me? Seattle win their division and make it to the playoffs yet they have more losses than wins? What a joke. There are several teams above .500 that are more worthy...Tampa Bay in particular. Damn, if the Browns were in the NFC West we would easily be king of the hill. Seahawks are just a distraction....New Orleans are going to toast them!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I've always had a problem with that part of football. What determines whether a team goes to the playoffs or not is only their record against other teams in their division rather than their overall record. Someone was a few weeks ago was explaining to me why San Diego may not go to the playoffs despite having a better record than another team that was "for sure" going to the playoffs.

Football also has the worst video review system. They need to learn from the NHL (hockey): you set up a team of people in one location who do ALL the reviews for every game. It's so much more efficient. It should not take 5 minutes to review a 10 second slo-mo clip of a 2 second play. Plus, when it's a present referee reviewing a play, they're always going to factor in what they saw in person - ironically, this is the reason why the play is being reviewed in the first place.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

redcloud wrote: Seahawks are just a distraction....New Orleans are going to toast them!
:oops:

I stand corrected! What a game! Hats off to Seattle they saved their best football for this playoff game. Lynch's 67 yard TD run to seal the victory was un-fucking-believable.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

That was unbelievable, what a run. Glad to see Seattle win.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

That was so good I had to watch it again....WOW! :shock:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/08/mars ... nts-video/
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

WOW :shock:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

No one in their right mind would have picked that score. What happened to the defense?
I enjoyed the NY/Indy game too. Until NY kicked that last second fg. Damn.
Not sure if there are any hockey fans but even though I am a die hard fan I am amazed the run the Red Wings are on. Western Canada road trip. They have 4 major players out injured and went into Vancouver(hottest team in hockey) and beat them in their own rink in a shoot out. As well as the other two games on this road trip so far. This town has serious extremes when it come to sports teams. One who does nothing but win-Red Wings. One who does nothing but lose-Lions(though that is changing finally). One who spends like crazy to win but doesn't- Tigers. And the Pistons- who have had their fair share of success in the last 20+ years but suck right now.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:No one in their right mind would have picked that score.
I'm not a gambler but damn...whoever put some $$ on Seattle to win is now sitting on a nice bag of money.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

A friend of mine who is a die-hard Packers fan is already bemoaning the fact that the Bears on on "easy street" this coming weekend now that they're facing Seattle instead of New Orleans. The Seattle/N.O. game was easily the most exciting of the four so far.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

BCS game was a fun game to watch. Oregon's offensive line really struggled against Auburn's defensive line. Our running backs could never find space, our QB was rushed and couldn't find people down field. So the high powered offense wasn't clicking. That said, I felt Oregon's defense did very well to contain Auburn. When the game was tied with only 2'30 left I honestly felt we had a shot to win it in OT. BUT..the final set of downs for Auburn were very odd and it's a shame the game came down to that massive "was he down or wasn't he" play. As a fan of the sport, I know the answer (he wasn't down) but for a championship game it is just a shame that the play had a profound effect on the final outcome.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Probably a few too many fancy trick plays by Oregon. Auburn were not biting and they backfired on the Ducks. Also, towards the end of the third quarter when the Ducks were on a 4th and goal due to the difficulty they were having penetrating Auburn's line they should have been more conservative Taking the 3pts would have been better than none and it would have sealed OT. But, it's easy to second guess things like this in hind sight.

Great game though. Best BCS in recent memory.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I enjoyed watching Pittsburgh and Baltimore beat the shit out of each other. That was brutal but easily the best game of the weekend. I hate both teams but I hate Pittsburgh more so anybody playing the Steelers I tend to root for. Have to say, I have also developed a serious disliking to the NY Jets. Nothing classy about that team at all. In the NFC, Seattle did what they have done all year. One week they pound somebody the next week they roll over and die. I was surprised Atlanta did pretty much the same thing. I was hoping for more fight and spark but they were lame. Next week's Green Bay vs Chicago will be a decent Conference championship game. I'm still not sold on Cutler (sorry Warmth) but I admit he has played much more consistently each and every week, so who knows maybe he will emerge victorious. But, I still think the Super Bowl will be Pittsburgh vs Green Bay.

Whether it's the Bears or the Packers I will definitely be rooting for the NFC to win it all this year.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I am going to withhold predictions and favorites because if I publicly state who i want to win they never do.
That has an all too familiar ring with me too, spzretent! In fact, most of my friends now ask me who I don't want to win because those are the teams that seem to do so!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Packers over da Bears. Sorry, Aaron Rodgers is very good (always has been) and their 10-6 season record don't reflect their abilities. Rodgers was 31-36 for over 250+ yards and 3 touchdowns and has always been consistent like that. He plays like he's not that serious, but he can hurt you. Cutler is like Romo, you don't know if he is good or not and he's not consistent.

Steelers over the Jets. I hate the Jets and mouth of the south Rex Ryan.

Packers vs. Steelers (SuperBowl) : Packers. Period.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

If Cutler and the Bears bring their A-game and can force a few key turnovers, I think they can win.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:If Cutler and the Bears bring their A-game and can force a few key turnovers, I think they can win.
You have a chance, no doubt about it. Keep in mind too that GB's offensive line is their weakest link. Rodgers can certainly attest to that. Should be a good game and given the divisional rivalry it should also be a fun one to watch.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

So, the best of the AFC North and the best of the NFC North will play for the Super Bowl.

One word...Cutler? WTF? A lot of speculation is already going around the web that he quit on the team. But honestly, if he really hurt his knee to the point that he couldn't go back in the game how could he stand and walk around the sidelines? The 3rd stringer did pretty good given the circumstances. Unfortunately for him, on Chicago's final drive it was looking more and more likely that there would be an interception if he chose to throw to midfield.

I really hope GB now win it. Anybody but Pittsburgh.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

If Cutler was such an(apparent) asshole this whole storm would have blown over. Instead its getting bigger by the hour. I cant stand Twitter. Twitter plays a big role in this story.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm sure Cutler is an asshole, but I think the suggestions that he quit or gave up in the middle of the game are ridiculous. Just because he was able to walk on the sidelines doesn't mean that he was in any shape to continue as quarterback. I could still walk after I sprained my ankle a few years ago, but I sure wouldn't have been able to run up and down a football field, let alone do anything that could be described as athletic. Asshole or not, I find it hard to believe that in the game that could have gotten his team into the Super Bowl that he'd "quit" halfway through.

As a side note, I also think Twitter is pretty dumb.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

If you hate Twitter so much then why do you keep on reading the comments ?
Tweets by ex/current football players about the situation is lame. Are they doctors ? Are they a reliable source ? They are just forming their own small iq opinions.

Try standing on a sprained/torn meniscus weighing 220 lbs. and let me see how you cope ? The doctors told him not to go back into the game, but he did anyways in the 3rd quarter and realized it was much more serious when he couldn't plant his foot during a play. He cried in the locker room when a couple of players called him out. So, is he really a wimp ? Or just a human being ? Neverless, I wanted the Packers to win and they did.

Like I said earlier : Packers vs. Steelers. Packers will be the Champions.

Yeah, Twitter and Facebook suck.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I agree abut Twitter...I am proud to say I am one of the few in this country who does not even have a Facebook account let alone use Twitter.

I saw the first quarter and a half then had a few errands and came back for the fourth and Cutler was already out and the media running with the various players Twitter accusations. I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of Cutler and in my opinion he was always going to be Chicago's weak link in the match. Shame he couldn't at least finish the game tho.

But, congrats for making it to the Conference championship game. That is something the Browns haven't been able to do since 1989/1990. :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Hello....Lions....once in my lifetime.....and they lost like 40-0 to Washington.
Now now...give your boys some credit. They scored 10 points in that game (41-10 to 'Skins).

Normally I would feel some sort of empathy but at least you have the Red Wings, Pistons and Tigers. Can't say the same about the Browns, Indians or Cavs.
Last edited by redcloud on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

True. And truth be told I am a much bigger Tigers and Red Wings fan. Been lucky there.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This weekend as I prepare for Super Bowl Sunday with my family...I hope for two things:

1. A good game that is both exciting and fun to watch. I think we've been relatively spoiled the past few years with some very good Super Bowl games.
2. A Green Bay victory!! I can't fathom the thought of Pittsburgh winning a 7th Super Bowl. The thought of all those fair weather fans/glory supporters makes me nauseous. In fact, the thought of Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers basking in more glory makes me physically nauseous.

Enjoy your Super Bowl weekend, all.