Football (American style)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

Re: Football (American style)

Post by spacemanrich »

Tony Romo is just terrible, he hasn't improved considering he has been a Cowboy for the last 9 yrs. Mark Sanchez is also pathetic. Did you see the hi light where he bounced off of his offensive lineman and coughed up the ball ?

Didn't see the Pats vs. Jets game either, but the Pats are the one to look out for. They can score a ton of points ( now considering that Gronk will be out 6 wks. ). However, their weakness is defense and has been for the last 2-3 yrs.

Not impressed w/ Texans. I don't know about the Falcons, either. Toughest teams has to be the Niners, Ravens, Packers, and Patriots.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Tony Romo is just terrible, he hasn't improved considering he has been a Cowboy for the last 9 yrs. Mark Sanchez is also pathetic. Did you see the hi light where he bounced off of his offensive lineman and coughed up the ball ?
I did see that highlight. Laughable and only beaten by the kick/punt return guy who was hit and the ball popped out right into the hands of a Patriot who ran it in for a quick and easy 10 or so yard TD.

I missed the "phantom TD" in Detroit but saw the highlights on that play too. Called a TD, challenged and still not overturned even when it was pretty damn obvious his knee touched the ground. There are only two teams in the league where that could happen....Detroit and Cleveland! Shameful.

Not impressed w/ Texans.

Certainly not based on last two games. Detroit is a tough team and capable of spoiler. But Jacksonville? I mean, COME ON!
I don't know about the Falcons, either.

Like the Ducks. Offensive explosion but defensively not quite so hot. But, they may be more multifaceted than Ducks. Stanford's game plan was to cover the wings and it worked. I think Falcons can hit you at multiple spots. SF and GB are definitely more complete teams.
Toughest teams has to be the Niners, Ravens, Packers, and Patriots.
Let's see how Kaepernick does. I am wary of the controversy Harbaugh is causing in his locker room though. At the end of the day though as a coach you play to win (rather than not to lose).

Ravens?! :evil: I really hope it's not them. I am bored to death of the Pats and I'll even take a Texan team over the Ravens. Please, please let Flacco choke, yet again. Even if it does help Baltimore I am hopeful Cleveland mess up the Steelers chances. I'll then put my hopes on other teams to stop the Ravens.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I know none of you are Browns fans but this show looks really cool. Even my wife, who hates football, is interested in this behind the scenes focused series.

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/w ... and-browns
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Looks like the Browns might win today ? I don't have any faith in Leftwich or Batch - they are both terrible qb's. Their is a reason why they aren't starting qb's anymore ...

I hate to spend a beautiful day watching football, however, the Niners vs. Saints is a special occasion. Looks like Colin will start, let's see if he gets rattled in a Dome Stadium at an away game. The Ain'ts are terrible against the run (last place) and their defense is not that good, but their offense w/ Drew will be interesting to watch. Let's see them go against the Smith Bros. (Justin and Aldon) and Patrick Willis and Novorro Bowman.

The Packers vs. Giants game will also be good. Looks like 6 hours of football today .... :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

:D

I woke up to a very good day. After a week or more of solid, very heavy rain today is beautiful and sunny. To make it even better the Browns beat Pittsburgh and later this evening I'm going to see the Chris Robinson Brotherhood.

Did I say I'm happy? :D :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Have to say...Browns may only be 3-8 but our games have been fun (and stressful) to watch. For the most part we have been in every game and in many we have gone into the 4th quarter with the lead. We're too young to know how to finish and we're a couple pieces shy of completing the puzzle (and unless we win out we're most likely getting a new head coach). Despite our record I honestly think we have a bright future.

Positives aside, today was another one that could have ended either way though. Our coach simply plays not to lose rather than to win.

But hey, today is a good day because, for now, order has been restored. :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Steelers are on the slide, they just two games in a row and they play the Ravens again next week. Even if BigBen plays, I see the Ravens trying to reinjure his shoulder and so I'll give it to the Ravens next week.

Colin is making it difficult or easy to choose a starting quarterback. Second career start and no less on the road in the Dome of New Orleans. Played well for the most part, but like the analysts stated, he gives the Niners another dimension. Alex can run, but Colin can run better. Alex can throw, but Colin can makes better passes. When Alex played, he would throw these 5 yard dumps to a tight end/receiver - nothing wrong with that. It's about moving the chains and getting a 1st down, however, Colin seems to make more longer passes and Vernon Davis seems to be back catching the ball. Not an easy decision, but you got to play the ' better quarterback. ' You have to understand that Alex is 18-4 or something like that as a starter since Jim Harbaugh was hired and third in qb passing efficiency. Again, passing efficiency on 5 yd. passes compared to D.Brees or T. Brady airing it out on much longer routes.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:The Steelers are on the slide, they just two games in a row and they play the Ravens again next week. Even if BigBen plays, I see the Ravens trying to reinjure his shoulder and so I'll give it to the Ravens next week.
Ravens and Steelers are getting old. Their fans can write the Browns off but I put money on the AFC north table being flipped in Cleveland's favor sooner than their fans may realize.
Again, passing efficiency on 5 yd. passes compared to D.Brees or T. Brady airing it out on much longer routes.
Brady and Pats were once (still are?) masters at short little shuttle passes/screens. Constantly moving the chains.

Smith is capable of running an offense himself. He has had a bum rap in SF. If he sits on bench for rest of season/post season SF need to do the admirable and honorable thing and release/cut him so he can sign with another team. Like I said, KC desperately need one as do Oakland, NYJ, Philly, SD to name a few.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

CRICKEY ! The 49'ers of the Bay lost Kyle Williams (acl) and Kendall Hunter (torn achilles tendon) for the entire year and it all happened on ONE PLAY !!! Maybe Brandon Jacobs or LaMichal James will get more carries. As for receiver, maybe Randy Moss will get more plays or look into free agency ...

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/11/27 ... le-injury/
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Could be worse. You could be an Eagles fan.

Not sure what the hell is happening in Philadelphia....coach, egos, team giving up (probably all three but I suspect egos and giving up are mainly to blame). I know there are some injuries but still, with that roster/payroll it is totally unacceptable that they are 3-8.

I didn't watch much of the game last night but I did see Carolina's first two TD's. The blown coverage by the Eagles was pathetic and laughable. Reid will no doubt be fired and Vick possibly traded. BUT, I'll tell you what....if I were an owner and was spending millions of dollars on these players if I had an inkling any of them were "giving up" on the team and its devoted fans I would seriously consider cutting them from the team. Not only have they let themselves down but they have let their city and their devoted fans down. Shameful.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote:Could be worse. You could be an Eagles fan.

Not sure what the hell is happening in Philadelphia....coach, egos, team giving up (probably all three but I suspect egos and giving up are mainly to blame). I know there are some injuries but still, with that roster/payroll it is totally unacceptable that they are 3-8.

I didn't watch much of the game last night but I did see Carolina's first two TD's. The blown coverage by the Eagles was pathetic and laughable. Reid will no doubt be fired and Vick possibly traded. BUT, I'll tell you what....if I were an owner and was spending millions of dollars on these players if I had an inkling any of them were "giving up" on the team and its devoted fans I would seriously consider cutting them from the team. Not only have they let themselves down but they have let their city and their devoted fans down. Shameful.
You pretty much summed it up here in Philly.. I turned the game off and went to bed.The games I watched on Sunday were so much more enjoyable. I thought the Browns & Pittsburgh was a great game...glad you guys won.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

spzretent wrote:Couldn't happen to a better fan base. They are horrible fans. At least the ones who go to games and terrorize opposing fans and Santa Claus.
Wow, way to judge an entire fan base. I've gone to many Eagles home games and never witnessed anything out of the ordinary. Every sports team has their hooligan fans. The Santa Claus incident was 40 years ago but it's still constantly referenced. How many other incidents have happened since in other cities that you don't hear about? Do a quick google search and you'll find these types of stories for almost every city and every sport.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Minky wrote: I thought the Browns & Pittsburgh was a great game...glad you guys won.
Anytime we beat Pittsburgh it is a good feeling. I really hate that team.

Steeler fans were hilarious after that game. They immediately posted on various sites saying "Browns didn't beat the Steelers, the Steelers beat the Steelers". Ummmmm, wait a minute here....sure Steelers were starting a 3rd string QB but 5/8 turnovers were forced by the Browns young, scrappy defense. Yes, we only scored on a couple of those turnovers BUT...remember, we are starting 15 rookies on either side of the ball AND Pittsburgh's defense is still ranked best in the league. Have to give credit where credit is due. Cry baby's!

Back to Reid....with our CEO/President's connection to Philly I wouldn't be surprised if Reid's name is being discussing as a possible Browns HC next year. Depends on how strong we finish. Oakland, KC, Redskins, Denver & Pitt remain on our schedule. 3/5 are very winnable. I think we can beat Pitt again (to sweep them would be sweet!). Denver though will be tough.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Minky wrote:
spzretent wrote:Couldn't happen to a better fan base. They are horrible fans. At least the ones who go to games and terrorize opposing fans and Santa Claus.
Wow, way to judge an entire fan base. I've gone to many Eagles home games and never witnessed anything out of the ordinary. Every sports team has their hooligan fans. The Santa Claus incident was 40 years ago but it's still constantly referenced. How many other incidents have happened since in other cities that you don't hear about? Do a quick google search and you'll find these types of stories for almost every city and every sport.
I realized that after I posted it. All I can tell you are the tales of Lions fans who call into to local sports radio after having attended one Lions-Eagles playoff game and one regular season game. There are are no other other stories from away games like Philly. Not even Oakland.
Same goes with Flyers- Red Wings.
Like it or not, Philly fans have a really rough reputation when it comes to visiting fans.
My generalization may have been a bit harsh. I'll admit that.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, I heard the same thing w/ Philly fans, just as brutal fans can be. I forgot where I read that these "fans" spit and threw batteries at opposing players as they came out of the tunnel onto the field .... I, also heard of fans that threw snowballs at players ! :(

Looks like Kap will start on Sunday. Here are the stats for Alex Smith for the season :

Before going down with a concussion and subsequently losing his starting spot to Kaepernick, Alex Smith was having the best year of his career. He has 13 passing touchdowns, 1,731 yards and a 70-percent completion percentage.

It's hard to argue over those stats, both are great quarterbacks, but Colin is just a bit better. It is not an easy decision to make, both players win games !

Any GM, Owner, or Coach would salivate at those stats, even Jerry Jones. I wonder what Romo's stats are ? He is just horrible !
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

From one of the sportwriters that covers the 49'ers :

Tight end Delanie Walker acknowledged Kaepernick is more willing to throw risky passes downfield, which is perfectly acceptable since Kaepernick has also thrown just one interception in two starts (48 attempts).

“That’s just Kaep being young so he takes more chances,” Walker said. “Alex is the more ready quarterback, controlling the offense, making sure we get another down. Kaep, he will take a chance and go for the big play.”
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

spacemanrich wrote:Yeah, I heard the same thing w/ Philly fans, just as brutal fans can be. I forgot where I read that these "fans" spit and threw batteries at opposing players as they came out of the tunnel onto the field .... I, also heard of fans that threw snowballs at players ! :(
You of all people, you've got to be kidding me. With your "Shittsburgh" & "Shitroit" comments throughout this football thread. You'd fit right in with the fans that give Philly a bad rap.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Many teams with passionate fans will have a small minority who are hooligans and who will tarnish the fanbase. It also seems to be the more working class cities that have the more passionate fan bases. I don't think Cleveland's fan base is any different than Philly's. I grew up going to Browns games and I have been to a few away games that has a hardcore travelling fan base. I've seen it there too. You wont see it though in Carolina or Jacksonville because those teams have no history and the passion isn't the same as it is in a football town like Cleveland.

But, back to the original post about the Eagles fans. I think Philly fans have a right to be pissed at their team. Star studded roster, millions upon millions being spent, devoted fans supporting them week in week out and what do they get in return? A bunch of primadonna egotists who appear to be purposefully tanking games for whatever reason (to get Reid fired?).
Minky wrote:
spacemanrich wrote:Yeah, I heard the same thing w/ Philly fans, just as brutal fans can be. I forgot where I read that these "fans" spit and threw batteries at opposing players as they came out of the tunnel onto the field .... I, also heard of fans that threw snowballs at players ! :(
You of all people, you've got to be kidding me. With your "Shittsburgh" & "Shitroit" comments throughout this football thread. You'd fit right in with the fans that give Philly a bad rap.
Yep, have to agree with Minky on this one. I can even recall some use of racist comments (or certainly ones that could be perceived as racist) in threads past. Seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Minsky, I never heard any bad about fans from Shitroit or Shittsburgh. But I did hear, esp. about East Coast teams that include Philly and NY fans (both Jets/Giants). NEVER, EVER take your girlfriend/wife/kids to an Oakland Raiders game. If you don't mind cursing, etc. then go for it. They can be very violent. I think that it was in Cleveland/Buffalo where they threw the snowballs at players ?

That being said, one of my neighbors said that the ' best seats are in your house '. So true. The loo is only 10 feet away, as well as the fridge stocked w/ food and beer. Why pay $10 for a crappy beer and food, as well as $20 for stadium parking and dealing w/ the traffic, along w/ the obnoxious and drunk fans...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: I found a fantastic knit striped hat with the old "Brownie" logo on it yesterday. I was wearing it around smiling and wondering what Redcloud would think.
I do have a soft spot for that logo.
Brownie the elf? Very cool. I have a t-shirt with him holding a rose and on the back it says "Portland Browns Backers". The rose symbolizes Portland (The Rose City).

I also teach an intro to graphics unit and we discuss and then make logos - part of our discussion poses the question of "how does one design a logo for a "logoless company/team?" Example: The Cleveland Browns. We go through the history of the team's name, how they tried to adopt logos over the years and why they stuck with the solid orange helmet. I've had many kids say to me how cool it is to finally understand the history behind their name and their "logoless" helmets.

But, they still love to give me shit every time the Browns lose. :lol:
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

spacemanrich wrote:That being said, one of my neighbors said that the ' best seats are in your house '. So true. The loo is only 10 feet away, as well as the fridge stocked w/ food and beer. Why pay $10 for a crappy beer and food, as well as $20 for stadium parking and dealing w/ the traffic, along w/ the obnoxious and drunk fans...
I agree with you on this. When all is said and done (after going to a game) you're most likely out a few hundred dollars. Although I do like to go to a game or two, I'd rather sit at home with a case of Dogfish 90 minute and some good food and be comfortable. My parents had season tickets back in the late 70's & early 80's for the Eagles. I can't tell you how many memories I have of freezing my ass off in Veteran's Stadium as a kid...sometimes wondering to myself...can't we just watch this on TV?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

How about $250 for a ticket in the upper deck at Comerica Park for the World Series. And thats face value. I do know someone, while sitting at the clincher vs the Yankees, had his son find 4 Field Box seats for game one(here Detroit) for $5000. This included a $950 convenience fee.
The crowds suck the more important the game because your average fan cant afford the tickets. I had Red Wings season tix from 1986 to 2005. When I first got them my seats were $26 each. When we put them in somneone elses name they were $72 each. Glad i saw some great players and great hockey. 3 cups. I have my memories to keep me going. And HD TV.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote: But, back to the original post about the Eagles fans. I think Philly fans have a right to be pissed at their team. Star studded roster, millions upon millions being spent, devoted fans supporting them week in week out and what do they get in return? A bunch of primadonna egotists who appear to be purposefully tanking games for whatever reason (to get Reid fired?).
It's unacceptable, a bunch of high paid players collecting a paycheck...nothing more. Granted most of our offensive line have been hurt all year but that doesn't excuse the recent lack of effort of our offense and defense, especially in the last couple of weeks since Vick has been out. Like I said previously, I turned the game off the other night, they're unwatchable right now. The funny thing is the fans & media wanting Reid to be sacked now. I disagree with this, give him the respect he deserves (and frankly it isn't going to change things) and at the end of the season...then clean house. This team needs a fresh start, starting with the coaches, all the way down to the players.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

spzretent wrote:I had Red Wings season tix from 1986 to 2005. When I first got them my seats were $26 each. When we put them in somneone elses name they were $72 each. Glad i saw some great players and great hockey. 3 cups. I have my memories to keep me going. And HD TV.
Ugh, flashbacks of '97...you guys just killed us. :( Back to the reply, hockey ticket prices are crazy. Sad to say I haven't been to that many Flyers games in the past decade, tickets are just too expensive. I have good memories when my Father had partial season tickets in the '80's, which were great seats right behind the net. I saw so many great games...but I must say I'm still a little bitter that he took my sister (instead of me) to the cup finals game against the Oilers in '87.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: I think that it was in Cleveland/Buffalo where they threw the snowballs at players ?
Browns fans have no problem with Bills fans. As long as we're not playing each other the two fans have mutual respect for each others teams. Probably because we have both struggled (although they may not have a Championship Buffalo has been to 4 Super Bowls, which is four more than Cleveland) and we're both on Lake Erie. Our games are often dubbed the "Toilet Bowl". So, snow balls are all in good spirit. Liken it to an England v Ireland rugby match where you want to beat each other but afterwards you all go down to the pub and get drunk, joke and laugh.

But, Cleveland and Pittsburgh (and Baltimore) games are entirely different. Liken that to an England v Wales or England v Scotland rugby game. No fun before, during or after the games.
That being said, one of my neighbors said that the ' best seats are in your house '. So true. The loo is only 10 feet away, as well as the fridge stocked w/ food and beer. Why pay $10 for a crappy beer and food, as well as $20 for stadium parking and dealing w/ the traffic, along w/ the obnoxious and drunk fans...
I don't have the cable packages to watch all the Browns games. So, every week my son and I go to a local pub here in Portland that allows minors until 9pm and has been adopted by Cleveland transplants who are Browns fans as well as Buckeye alumni. All the Browns and Buckeye games are projected live on two video screens. On any given week it can vary from 25-100 Browns fans but on average there are probably 40-50 of us every week. We do a half time raffle for various Browns merch and a 50/50 draw. In the past we have rented a bus to take us to Seattle as a Club to see the Browns play Seahawks. With most members of the club being 40+ and several old timers, my 12 year old son is the youngest member. When people walk into the pub the look on their face is priceless ("why are there so many Browns fans here?").

Misery likes company! :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Minky wrote: The funny thing is the fans & media wanting Reid to be sacked now. This team needs a fresh start, starting with the coaches, all the way down to the players.
What is the word in Philly as to why Babin was cut? Was he a bad element in the locker room?

My thinking is Reid will be fired at the end of the season. He's a good coach though and will get offers from various teams. The past two years haven't been good though considering the talent in draft day & free agency signings. There are a lot of egos to manage, which could be the death of Reid.

I'm sure, given the Philly connection in the front office/coaches in Cleveland that Reid has been discussed for the Browns. But, I think if we fire our coach they will be looking at many options from big name ex-coaches to big name college coaches to up and coming stars who are currently assistants. I think (I hope) our new regime are committed to building a solid foundation and winner and need to think outside of the box. Not sure if Reid would be that option for us.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Just read the news coming out of KC.

Horrible.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Whoever said that the SEC is dead ?!?!

What a game between the Tide and Bulldogs ! SEC, that's what's it's all about.

They'll roll over the Irish, that's for sure !

Any betters who want to take the Irish ? I'll bet a six-pack of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. :shock:
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote:What is the word in Philly as to why Babin was cut? Was he a bad element in the locker room?
The story here is that it was for lack of production this season and the $16 million dollar salary (over the next three years) he was being paid. They have some young rookies like Vinny Curry who they are impressed with. I don't get to listen to local sports radio that much but I heard a clip in the car where they were talking about how much Philly media couldn't stand him...I try not to pay attention to that kind of stuff.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I had an insanely busy day yesterday so only had a small window of time around 2:30-3:30 where I was able to see some of the SEC Championship game. Only caught the last portion of the 2nd qtr and the 3rd qtr but man, what a brilliant game. Hard to pull myself away from it. I don't think either Notre Dame or Oregon can beat GA or Alabama.

I do think Oregon will beat K-State in the Fiesta Bowl though.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Browns are proving that they are growing up. 4-3 in last 7 but more to the point...we have been in most of our games and in several we were 2-3 plays away from a 7-5 maybe 8-4 record. Youngsters not knowing how to finish games has been our downfall as well as a coach who is conservative and emotionless. But, good win against Oakland today. Not that they are any good but it's games like these we have to win. Also loving how our young rookie WR, Josh Gordon is playing. He's going to be a star. Greg Little has also improved (tremendous blocking today) and Ben Watson is as solid as ever. Feeling better about our WR's. We play KC next week. A lot of emotion with that team right now. We can definitely beat them but we must stay focused and play strong.

San Francisco this season can't seem to shake those pesky Rams. Who knows if Smith could have sealed the deal that's something Harbaugh has to ask himself.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Lions going in opposite direction. I tuned into to see the final play. I just have to laugh it was so Lions-esque.
Once again, this team needs an enema.
Bring on the "Shitroit" jokes.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

No, Detroit jokes today. Saw that the Lions were up by 5 pts. w/ like 2-3 minutes to play, seemed like that they locked that game up then i saw what LUCK did. Were talking about a possible wildcard for Indy and Denver ? Denver just rolled out like 5-6 straight wins or something like that ? 49'ers should have beaten the Rams.

Redcloud was hyping the birds of Arizona when they rolled out w/ 4 straight wins to begin their season. What is their record now ? How about 4-8 - EIGHT STRAIGHT LOSSES !

See you later Sanchez, put a fork in him, he's done !

Watch out for the Patriots, believe it or not they say Gronk might be back for the playoffs. He broke his forearm a couple of weeks ago and had surgery the NEXT DAY ! The Packers are legit too !

Saw the Ravens vs. Shittsburgh game, Flacco seems too 'passive'. I don't see any emotions from him, no fire, no energy, nothing. He lost a fumble and their was no frustration or anger in his face, as if ' that's how it is. ' From what I saw, he'll turn out to be just ' an okay ' quarterback.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spacemanrich wrote:No, Detroit jokes today. Saw that the Lions were up by 5 pts. w/ like 2-3 minutes to play
.04 seconds actually
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: Redcloud was hyping the birds of Arizona when they rolled out w/ 4 straight wins to begin their season. What is their record now ? How about 4-8 - EIGHT STRAIGHT LOSSES !
I don't remember "hyping" the Cards. But, I do remember commenting about their good start and that the NFC West, which has been the weakest division for the past few years may actually be competitive for a change. As it turns out, it is. The AFC West or AFC South are now the weakest divisions.

All the good teams have some serious weaknesses that they need to address. No one stands out as a clear frontrunner.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:
spacemanrich wrote:No, Detroit jokes today. Saw that the Lions were up by 5 pts. w/ like 2-3 minutes to play
.04 seconds actually
That has happened to the Browns countless times. In fact, the Eagles did it to us back in week one.

But, I also remember the Lions beating Cleveland in 2009 in the final 1'30. Stafford drove the team down field and managed to throw the game winner with no time on the clock. There was a pass interference call at the goal line on the previous play and the game can't finish with a defensive penalty. So, with 0.00 time on the clock they gave Stafford (w/dislocated shoulder) one more snap and the fucker nailed it to Brandon Pettigrew for the winning TD. Cleveland lost 37-38.

I still can't believe we lost that game. It can only happen to Cleveland (and Detroit). :oops: :evil:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN1CxjWp0IE

Series begins tomorrow night! :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Feeling good about the future of the Browns for the first time in years! I think we have turned the corner. Still young, still making mistakes and still some questionable calls by our coach. BUT....we are growing up, playing our hearts out and learning how to win.

Amazingly, with Pittsburgh being destroyed by San Diego today that means we are 2 games behind the Steelers. With three games left and one of them against Pittsburgh we have the opportunity to not only finish better than the Steelers but also to sweep them.

One week and one game at a time though.

Go Browns!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Redcloud:
No more hyping Arizona, anymore ? The other birds from the PacificNorthWest hung 56 points on them and they said that Pete Carroll was running up the score. If you can't field a professional team then you shouldn't be in the league ...

S.F. against New England in New England next Sunday nite should be interesting. Brady and the Patriots are like 22-1 in the month of December ( for home games ), almost like unbeatable ...

*** Just been announced : The Sunday nite football game btwn the Chargers vs. Jets in two weeks is being shelved. Instead they will show the Seattle Seahawks vs. S.F. 49'ers. Two very tough road games ahead ......
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Redcloud:
No more hyping Arizona, anymore ? The other birds from the PacificNorthWest hung 56 points on them and they said that Pete Carroll was running up the score. If you can't field a professional team then you shouldn't be in the league ...
Dude, I think you have been sipping too much of the 49er juice. The only team I can ever be accused of "hyping" are the Cleveland Browns.

I even looked through the past 2-3 months of posts in this thread and other than saying back in September a couple times that "Arizona and Seattle may be a serious threat to SF" nowhere did I "hype" them. In fact, I believe it was you, who on Oct. 1 said "The birds (Cards and Falcons) are a major surprise". And yes, Arizona have fallen back to earth. Yesterday was a serious ass whipping. Oh, and by the way, Seattle actually scored 58 points on them (not 56).

Keep sipping that juice though dude because San Francisco are by no means a sure thing. They have some serious weaknesses. Not beating St. Louis doesn't help but the quarterback controversies caused by Harbaugh were unnecessary. Purely speculative but I think your record would be better than it is if Alex Smith was still your starter.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Both the New England and Green Bay started slooowly, I mean they were like were 1-3 before they turned it around and it was no suprise since you have Rogers and Brady. Don't take too much stock in rankings, but here they are:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

New England is virtually unbeatable in December and here are their stats for this year:

"The Patriots (10-3) lead the NFL in points per game (36.3), yards per game (425.7) and are on pace for 70 touchdowns, which would rank second in NFL history to their 2007 output (75). During their seven-game winning streak, Brady has thrown 19 touchdowns and one interception."

Kap will do his best, but I notch a loss for Sunday nite ... :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Browns v Redskins this Sunday. Potentially a great game. Dawg defense against the league's best rookie QB (that is, if he plays).

Next three games could be very telling for Cleveland. Washington, Denver & Pittsburgh left on our schedule. This could decide who stays and who goes in our coaching staff. If we win 2/3 I will be over joyed with a record of 7-9.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

So Redcloud, what about them 49'ers ? I'm just keeping it real, I already notched a loss vs. the Patriots. Tom Brady&Co. are like 24-1 in the month of December. Kap scored 4 td's against the Patriots in New England ( 35 degrees ) !

Pretenders or Contenders ?

Next are the birds of the NorthWest. Seattle is tough, in fact, unbeateable at home ( we'll see next week).

Another great Sunday nite game next weak !

No one impresses me, except GreenBayPackers. JoeFalco is shite. Atl is just okay, even tho' they beat the NYGiants and shut them out. Shitsburgh are on the way down ......
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:So Redcloud, what about them 49'ers ?
I didn't see the game as I took my son to see the Dandy Warhols tonight. But, I did see the score. Good win for them (although they were leading by 31-3 somewhat worrying that they allowed them back in the game). I will say though that it looks a hell of a lot better than the turd that Cleveland laid today against Washington. A game us Browns fans had high hopes of winning especially without RG3 playing. But hey, Cousins looked a hell of a lot better than Weeden so what can I say?

Now, I'm just hoping that we sweep the Steelers (final game of our season) and maybe an added bonus of finishing 7-9. Not sure if we can do the latter though as next week we face Denver.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I, guess some playersdo have 9 lives. Read the stats on Marky Sanchez ( 4 interceptions and 1 fumble ) and this piece of nugget : Sanchez has a league-high 24 turnovers, including 17 interceptions. His two-year turnover total is a staggering 50. :oops:

I guess he's more concerned w/ the dating scene in Manhattan than his job. Joe Falco sucks too, he seems too passive. I've never seen him pump his fist in the air, pat his players on the back or anything like that. Cutler and Romo are not great either ... That Russell Wilson from Seattle seems to be the real deal, I've actually have not seen him play yet. If Pete Carroll has your back then your in good company, he knows a thing about quarterbacks i.e. - Carson Palmer, Matt Leinert, Mark Sanchez and Matt Barkley.

Were talking about playoffs for the Washington Redskins and a suprise of all - the Denver Broncos ? They reeled off like 9 straight wins and the defense has showed up. I, guess one player (albeit older) in Peyton Manning does make a BIG DIFFERENCE. Not too sure about Houston nor Atlanta regardless of their impressive records.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The new NFL power rankings are in for this week :

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

For the first week it happened, all they talked about was the quarterback controversy and then the story died. Kap has proven himself to be a starting quarterback and I feel sorry for Alex. Kap has a little bit more to offer as a qb, then Alex. He certainly can run much better, in fact probably the best running qb in the game albeit, maybe Cam Newton or someone like that. Their already talking about where Alex will go next year, perhaps Arizona Cardinals - they certainly need a qb.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Browns at 22!? Hey, we're moving up. :D

RGIII is probably the best running QB but his longevity could be at risk if he continues to get hammered.

I hope Smith gets a good deal. There are several teams in the league that need a good, solid QB and he deserves better. I also hope Kap works out for you. Remember, Derek Anderson had one great year too. :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Browns, Browns, Browns, Browns......... <sigh> :roll:

I didn't expect to beat a red hot Denver team with one of the best QB's to ever play the game. I did hope for something slightly competitive. Is that too much to hope for? Clearly.

Sadly, our season comes down to one final hope....to sweep a mediocre Steelers team.

After the BCS or maybe the Super Bowl the Browns will be blown up, yet again. Chip Kelly? Nick Saban? Josh McDaniels? Who knows. A new GM? Maybe. A new QB? Quite possibly. Not convinced the class of QB's in the 2013 draft is anywhere near as good as last year. If we move forward from Weeden (he'll be added to our long list of QB's since 1999) then maybe we need to go for Alex Smith?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Three weeks in a row that Seattle have now absolutely annihilated their opponents. I watch a performance like that (ok...so, I turned it off at half time) and wish that Cleveland had a QB with the mettle and scrambling skills of Wilson and a coach that shows half as much emotion as Carroll. One thing that is safe to say...I don't think any team in the NFC wants to travel to Seattle for the playoffs. That was LOUD!

San Francisco have some reevaluating to do after that performance.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Another year, another subpar season for the Cleveland Browns comes to end. I'm fully expecting our new owner to clean house. All new coaches, new GM, maybe a new QB. Who knows. It's all such a familiar story in the revolving door of the Cleveland Browns. All I hope for is to see this team win a championship at least once in my lifetime.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Things started looking a bit bleak for the Vikings playoff hopes after the losses in week 12 and 13 but way to go tonight! Missed the game but what a result tonight!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

James T wrote:Things started looking a bit bleak for the Vikings playoff hopes after the losses in week 12 and 13 but way to go tonight! Missed the game but what a result tonight!
Minnesota played pretty solid football this season and were better than most expected. Especially with a questionable QB and a RB who was coming back from a horrible knee injury. I will happily eat humble pie and admit that I didn't foresee the Viks doing this well. I'm also happy for Adrian Peterson and his amazing come back. He seems like a class act.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

As expected.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source- ... --nfl.html

And so the coaching carousel continues. Yay, another rebuild. :roll:

Hopefully we get it right THIS TIME around!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Matt Millen for GM & Norv Turner for Coach ? :oops:

Who would have thought that IndyColts, the Redskins or the Broncos would make the playoffs. A.Luck and RGIII are the real deal, including P.Manning - all three have turned around their respective teams ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: Who would have thought that Indy Colts, the Redskins or the Broncos would make the playoffs. A.Luck and RGIII are the real deal, including P.Manning - all three have turned around their respective teams ...
Don't forget to add Russel Wilson to that list of real deal QB's. He has been a thorn in the backside of the Niners all season and may continue to haunt them in the post season too. Carroll & Harbaugh's Pac-10 rivalry has heated up for a great new NFL rivalry between two west coast cities.

Many speculations of GM/HC in Cleveland. The running name for Cleveland's new GM is Mike Lombardi. If that is the case I wouldn't be surprised if we see Josh McDaniels or Nick Saban brought in as HC. There is also a big Philly connection in the FO in Cleveland so who knows, maybe Andy Reid? Chip Kelly too will have many offers from a variety of teams (especially if Oregon win on Thursday). I just hope our new owner GETS IT RIGHT! As much as I hate to say this...there is a reason why Pittsburgh have been consistent. They don't fire coaches nor do they give up on QB's after a year or two.

Saying that, I don't think Shurmur was ever a wise hire by Holmgren.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, I'll admit and add Russell Wilson to the mix. Pete Carroll knows a thing or two about quarterbacks i.e. - Matt Leinart, Carson Palmer and Marky Sanchez, however, all three have bombed in the NFL. To go with Wilson while you sit Matt Flynn ( who signed a multi-year salary ) takes some guts and the fact that he is a rookie.

Norv Turner should have been fired years ago. He NEVER succeeded as head coach anywhere i.e. - SanDiego,Oakland&Washington. Good offensive coordinator, but bad head coach. Hiring of Mike Singletary as head coach for the 49'ers was a joke. Pete Carroll turned things around up North in only his 3-4 year, as well Harbaugh has done well.

Saw the Redskins vs. Cowboys game last nite and Tony Romo is just horrible. The Cowboys should fire their GM - oops, their GM is Jerry Jones .... :cry:

Can't believe it, Gronk is already back with the Pats w/ a broken forearm ( he had a cast on last nite ).
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Pete Carroll knows a thing or two about quarterbacks i.e. - Matt Leinart, Carson Palmer and Marky Sanchez, however, all three have bombed in the NFL.
To be fair, Carroll did say Sanchez wasn't ready for the NFL and he predicted his fall from grace.

Seattle v Washington should be a great game!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The rumor of Oregon's Chip Kelly going to the Browns has had legs for a couple months now. Now the Browns owner and President have flown to Arizona to interview him immediately after the Fiesta Bowl. Could well be our new coach.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Went to the Holiday Bowl AND the Rose Bowl this week with my father... wow that was a lot of driving. Not really a huge college football fan, but it was fun I guess. Snuck into the Stanford Alumni Tailgate at the Rose Bowl, didn't get carded at the huge bar thing... good stuff. Hadn't been to a (non-high school) football game in maybe 7 or 8 years.

I really want LA to get a team so that I can be an OG diehard fan, even when they suck for a few years.

On a side note, the quarterback at my school got recruited by Vanderbilt, and the center has offers from Stanford, Oregon, and some SEC schools. The quarterback is actually a really funny, down-to-earth, curious, open-minded dood. If you were to look at descriptions of him and me "on paper," we would seem like total opposites and from a "high school perspective" would not expect us to be friends or even talk to each other haha, but I actually like him a lot. I have had many awesome/awesomely entertaining conversations with him.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote: I really want LA to get a team so that I can be an OG diehard fan, even when they suck for a few years.
The Los Angeles Chargers.

But hey, you might as well start following the Patriots because you will be in Boston before that becomes a reality.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Looks likely that Andy Reid will sign with the Kansas City Chiefs. Sounds like he bagged the meeting with Arizona & San Diego.

redcloud...your Browns, my Eagles, and the Bills...are going to meet with Chip Kelly. I'm very curious how this will turn out. I know the Eagles also plan to meet up with Mike McCoy from the Bronco's as well.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Minky wrote:Looks likely that Andy Reid will sign with the Kansas City Chiefs. Sounds like he bagged the meeting with Arizona & San Diego.
And I heard Reid may reunite with Tom Heckert as GM, who was in Philly then went to the Browns for three seasons. Chiefs have talent. Romeo was Browns HC and couldn't do much with us. Great guy, good DC but not HC.
redcloud...your Browns, my Eagles, and the Bills...are going to meet with Chip Kelly. I'm very curious how this will turn out. I know the Eagles also plan to meet up with Mike McCoy from the Bronco's as well.
I've watched the Ducks many times but tonight's Fiesta Bowl was with different eyes. Could this man be Cleveland's new coach? Browns are attractive....a young team with some studs. Despite our record we were competitive in most of our games and fought hard. Kelly's spread offense could work well in Cleveland with Richardson and some of our young WR's. Weeden at QB will be the question mark but ignoring the hot stud rookies like RG3, Luck and Wilson, Weeden's numbers were actually not that bad for a rookie. He can't run though, which is what Kelly expects his QB's to do.

We would also need to draft a couple cornerbacks and maybe a safety to complement a Kelly style offense. I don't want to get too worked up buy I am excited by the possibility. Our new owner has said he is prepared to pay if it comes to a bidding war for "the right guy". I've never heard a Browns owner say that. Not Modell and certainly not the Lerner's. So that, in itself, is refreshing!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Shame about the Vikings but what a great season until then. Missed the game, too late here in the UK!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

James T wrote:Shame about the Vikings but what a great season until then. Missed the game, too late here in the UK!
You didn't miss much. GB defense zeroed in on Peterson and Christian Ponder didn't play so they really didn't have a chance.

Texans defense looked decent but their offense had better start scoring or else they will be humiliated next week by New England. I'm meeting up with a couple friends of mine to watch the Seattle v Washington game. That should be the best playoff game of the weekend.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Minky, not sure how Eagles fans are feeling about Kelly but I am getting tired of being played between Philly and Oregon. If the deal fits you ink the deal. Reid and Doug Marrone are good examples. These discussions w/Kelly seem to be never ending and neither team has signed him. I fear the longer it goes on the more likely he may decide to go back to Oregon or sign with Philly and Cleveland, yet again, may end up with egg in their face. Also, could be viewed as a failure by our new regime if we don't get him as they targeting Kelly as their number one.

Also, he has to be fleecing all of us for a ton of money. He makes 3.5m guaranteed salary at Oregon. Add another million on top for promo etc. By the time it is all said and done he could be making as much as Sean Payton (or more) yet, he has never coached a down in the Pros.

I like the possibility of what Kelly can bring to the Browns but at the same time I don't want to pay outrageous sums for him. I also think that if he was committed he would jump at it. If we don't have a deal by Monday we need to move forward. I seriously hope the Browns at least interview Mike McCoy. He has a great resume and he clearly adapts his scheme to fit his roster.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

All reports now saying Chip Kelly is officially out of the mix for Browns job. From what I understand that would be his decision and not ours as our owner made it very known he was our #1 choice. Basically, we have been played all along. He did a similar thing to Tampa Bay last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not stringing Philly along too. I was rooting for this guy but feel totally duped. If he leaves Philly hanging then he will have burned many bridges in the NFL. :evil: