Football (American style)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Minky
Known user

Re: Football (American style)

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote:Yep, Cleveland lost. But, only in the final minute of the game. Most Philly fans will have chalked this up as an easy win. It was far from that. Our offense was bad. Our QB was horrible. But, our defense were beasts today and we damn near pulled off a major upset.
Your Browns' defense did look pretty good but the Eagles offense just looked horrible. 4 turnovers (3 interceptions) is just unacceptable for Vick (and our offense) plus the careless penalties we accumulated throughout the game. It boggles my mind that we don't run the ball more, especially when the QB is getting blitzed out the wazoo. I hope our offense gets their shit together for Sunday's game against Baltimore.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Minky wrote: Your Browns' defense did look pretty good but the Eagles offense just looked horrible. 4 turnovers (3 interceptions) is just unacceptable for Vick (and our offense) plus the careless penalties we accumulated throughout the game. It boggles my mind that we don't run the ball more, especially when the QB is getting blitzed out the wazoo. I hope our offense gets their shit together for Sunday's game against Baltimore.
Yep. Philly handed that game to us on a silver platter but in true Cleveland fashion we couldn't finish them off. Your offense still racked up a ton of yards but our defense hounded Vick all day and he made terrible decisions under the pressure. Had Reid decided not to go vertical the score could have been ugly.

I agree, Eagles had better sort it out before they play the Ravens or it could be ugly...quick.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Bears.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I don't know why 49'ers can't repeat last season, Redcloud ? Same team, no injuries (so far), more experience, playing tough opponents ( Green Bay ). Seattle ? Really, Seattle ? I don't care if it is Flynn or Wilson, who are they throwing the ball to ?

Joe Flacco is coming around and is more confident now. The Ravens always had a good defense, offense was questionable. They could win their division. Shittsburgh is on the way down. Big Ben mentined a few months ago that his elbow or shoulder was giving him problems. Bears look good, Cutler looks good, but we'll wait and see. The Green Bay vs. Chicago should be very good, as well as the S.F. vs. Shitroit this weekend.

Ryan Fitzgerald started hot last year for Buffalo, but after he signed that large extension he is on the cusp of getting benched or cut. Tony Romo and Phillip Rivers are questionable, they don't have the killer instinct, like a Tom Brady, Drew Brees.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Philip Rivers looked good Monday night. Mind you, Oakland looked terrible.

I cite Seattle because in the NFC west it is the Seahawks who may poise the biggest threat to SF. I think SF are a legitimate contender in the NFC....but, question is are the people of SF finally believing in Smith? If so, patience is a virtue. I wish Cleveland were more patient with McCoy. But, we'll see how Weeden develops. He certainly can't be any worse than he was against Philly!

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a decent QB. Is he the one? Who knows. But, is Tavaris Jackson? Buffalo were manhandled Sunday but I actually think they could be ok in their division. We'll see.

Never been a Romo fan. Neither he nor Flacco have won the big game for their teams. Saying that, Flacco looked great Monday but Cincy looked terrible.

Texans? If they stay healthy they could be an AFC threat. Still, 15 games to play....anything can happen including a season ending injury that could kill a team.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Bears / Packers tonight. I'm going to miss most of the game, as I have band rehearsal. Thoughts on this match-up? I don't consider myself that knowledgeable regarding football, so I'm looking for some insight. Bears looks pretty damn good last week, but the Colts will probably wind up at the bottom of the barrel by the end of the season so I'm thinking tonight won't be as easy as last week's win.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:Bears / Packers tonight. I'm going to miss most of the game, as I have band rehearsal. Thoughts on this match-up? I don't consider myself that knowledgeable regarding football, so I'm looking for some insight.
Just got home from work. Will turn it on soon. I think this should be a good game. Bears will want to prove they are contenders in their division while GB will want to get past the opening week loss to SF. At the end of the day I think much of it comes down to both team's offensive line. But, every game comes down to the line. It is the trench. Both teams O-lines have been questionable in the past so lets see how they do. Early days.....but this could be telling.

EDIT: So, Thursday Night Football is on a pay channel. Fuck that shit! I'm sure we had it last year and our subscription with comcast hasn't changed? I'm glad I found this out now. I need to figure out who has this channel so I can watch the Browns v Ravens game on Sept. 27!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Didn't watch the game but just looked at the stats. I've questioned Cutler in here many times and I will continue to do so. You could argue his performance tonight was worse than Brandon Weeden's (Cleve) game against Philly simply because Weeden is a rookie while Cutler has been in the league for 6 years. Tonight's stats were piss poor.

The Bears will not exceed to the top of their division nor will they win a significant playoff game with Cutler leading their offense. He's just not good enough. I may be wrong on that assessment Paul but I'm happy to eat humble pie if proved wrong.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I, agree. Sometimes Cutler has sparks of greatness, but most of the time it is the opposite. Same w/ Tony Romo, Philip Rivers, Mark Sanchez. They just ain't good. It takes a little bit more to be a great quarterback like : Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning Brothers. You see only a handful are just listed here that are just great.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:I, agree. Sometimes Cutler has sparks of greatness, but most of the time it is the opposite. Same w/ Tony Romo, Philip Rivers, Mark Sanchez. They just ain't good.
Agreed on Romo and the verdict is still out on Sanchez. I do think Rivers is actually a decent QB. Last year was terrible but it wasn't good for most of the Charger team. Chargers inability could be that Turner has passed his sell by date and they need to look beyond. But, to be honest, I don't follow them well enough to really know.

I will add to your list of QB's a cynicism I have of both Matt Cassel and Joe Flacco. I'd love to see KC win their division but I'm not sure if they are there yet or if Cassel is "the guy". Flacco, on the other hand, may be the one who proves me wrong this year. But, so far he has been good but has yet to be great. We'll see how things develop this year. I sure as hell hope Flacco doesn't somehow step up and take Baltimore to the Super Bowl, or worse, win it. Having both Baltimore and Pittsburgh in Cleveland's division SUCKS!

Go Browns!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Will Harbaugh and Schwartz shake hands ? SlapGate II in the making ? HA !

Game is on the Left Coast at 5:15pm got to make sure I have some SN Torpedo chilled ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Will Harbaugh and Schwartz shake hands ? SlapGate II in the making ? HA !
The media are making this into more than it is. Nothing will happen between the coaches. A football game will be played. Nothing less, nothing more.

We'll see how SF's o-line contain the monstrous Lions d-line. The Lions LB's also need to contain SF's running game while SF's secondary need to contain Johnson. I'm liking Detroit to pull off the upset. Whatever happens it should hopefully be a good one to watch.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Decent game. SF was always in control. Some fun things developing in their division with Seattle, Arizona and St. Louis all winning today.

Browns game was fun...nice to see Weeden and Richardson opening up and Cleveland scoring some points. The many penalties killed us though but when you start 15 rookies it's going to happen. At least Baltimore also lost today.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

From a Lions fan perspective I was amazed it was as close as it was. Stafford was as off as I have ever seen him. Credit the SF defensive line for that. I thought this was going to be a long night especially after the first SF drive. Lions defense kept it respectable. Not a sentence I have said often in the last 3 decades.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

It really wasn't that close of a game. The Lions ONLY managed 12 points up until the 4th period - all on field goals. They only got the touchdown during ' garbage time ' in the 4th quarter when the game was out of reach.

Didn't really have to ' load the box ' , because Da Lions didn't have a run game. Those days of Barry Sanders running amok are over. No depth in the wide receiver, except MegaTron ( just double team him ), drop Bowman and Willis back in the secondary and just have Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, et al upfront. Stafford only managed 64 yards passing in the first half - pretty pathetic.

Offense was good for the Niners. Frank Gore and Kendall Hill running the ball, for some reason LaMichael James was absent from the game ? Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Moss and Morningham and Kyle Williams can catch. Alex looked comfortable, especially during the last drive when he got gashed in the nose and took it personally to score. They just have a caliber defense - just watch out.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I love how your description of the game is totally SF biased.
Most of the game was close because the 49ers couldn't put the Lions away. Most of the game was a one possesion score away. Lions touchdown in garbage time? If they had recovered that onside kick they would have been 20 yards and a 2pt conversion away from a tie.
Yes. The 49ers are a very good football team and they have a ridiculously great defense but his was far from a blowout or a game that was out of reach for the Lions to steal. The Lions do have depth at both wide receiver and tight end. Much to the chagrin of Lions fans because they keep using high draft picks on those positions.
Not sure if we were watching the same game.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

As an Englishman, I'm not so clued up with NFL but I have been following it as best I can in recent years. I watched all the Lions/49ers game. The lions didn't play a great game, not at all, but they wasted a couple of great chances in attack and the game could've gone a different way. Still, I think the better team won.

How about that vikings game huh? 23-20, and I backed the vikings with a 3 start....
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

My take.....not a great game by Detroit but they were never "out of the game". SF never put the Lions away to the point where they didn't have a chance (like Baltimore did to Cincinnati a week or so ago).

I LOVED the call on the offside kick. Everybody knew they were going to do it. But, instead of the obvious 10 yard squib the Lions Special Teams coach called for a medium range chip shot to get them down the field. It caught many off guard. But, the solo SF player was there to make the play. Point is...Detroit had a chance because they were not out of it.

I also think the Lions will put up a good fight in their division. Minnesota are expected to be the weakest team but Chicago have serious issues to work out (sorry Paul). A spongy offensive line and an inconsistent QB plague the Bears and both are a deadly combination in football. But, their schedule isn't overly difficult so I could be wrong. In my opinion though the Lions real competition in their division should be Green Bay. But, we've only played two games....fourteen more and anything can happen (a mediocre team can find their groove (eg. 2008 AZ Cardinals or 2011 Giants) while a great team can get a high profile season ending injury that kills them).
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Week three....Browns vs Bills. Must win for the Browns. Looking at the teams on paper this should be a decent game but both these teams have notoriously dreadful games against each other. So bad, in fact, it's often dubbed the "Toilet Bowl" (2009...Browns won 6-3! :| ). I honestly think Cleveland will win this week and I'm hoping it's a fun one to watch.

Last week Brandon Weeden had the highest ever improvement QB rating from one week to the next. Hopefully we're on to something. Trent Richardson was a beast too. Shame the game was lost on penalties and missed tackles (not to mention our star CB being suspended).

I know I'm talking to myself here...but my wife is tired of hearing about the Cleveland Browns so I have to voice my thoughts somewhere. :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Week three....some good games around the league and several going into OT. Couple things we found out:

1. SF are very beatable!
2. The NFC West may prove to be a fun and tight divisional race (Cards and Seattle may give SF serious competition)
3. The Browns still can't find a way to win! We're now 0-3 and we play Baltimore on Thursday night. :roll:

EDIT: Thank you Oakland! Loved watching you beat Pittsburgh. Makes Cleveland's loss easier to accept.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

What an absurd statement, " 49'ers are beatable ". Of course, every team is beatable, hasn't been an undefeated team since 72' (Dolphins) and that was with a 14 game season. Shittsburgh is not beatable ? New England is not beatable ? Baltimore is not beatable ?, etc...

Let's get to something more important ...... that was a great Sunday nite game btwn Patriots vs. Ravens. Back and forth and the game could have gone either way. Both teams look good, even the Patriots w/ their second straight loss. Patriots offense and defense looks good, as well as the Ravens. The Ravens will take that division, Steelers don't play well w/ the loss of Harrison, Polamalu, Ward (retirement) and is Mendenhall still recovered from his knee surgery ?

Schwartz flubbed on that OT loss, geez what a way to lose a game.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Whatever Rich.
Not playing your schadenfreude NFL games. I dont watch games thru honolulu blue glasses. In fact I only saw overtime.
Loved that Michigan loss.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

SF's loss was humbling to their "fans". I put that in quotations as ever since last year they seem to have found many more "fans*" who were not with the team in their darker days. These "fans" are increasingly more and more obnoxious. Similar in fact to Boise State fans (love how quiet they are at the moment) and even Univ of Oregon fans (when the Ducks beat a true quality opponent I may then start to believe all the hype. In the meantime, how about them Beavers?).

The true fans I have no problem with....the new "fans" who quickly shedded their black and gold Brees jersies for red and gold SF strips are lame. But so is all this talk about how great SF are after week 2 were clearly premature. Yesterday's loss proved this in spades. The 49ers were beaten by arguably the weakest team in the NFC North. The "best defense in the NFL" struggled against Christian Ponder. When was the last time you heard that statement? Wait a minute, let me re-read that.....Christian Ponder dissected the "best defense in the NFL"!? Yes, he did. I'm sure most SF fans will say that the Viks are much better than most gave them credit for. Perhaps they are. But maybe SF just isn't as good as most pundits and their "fans" think?

That was a humbling loss and it showcased serious weaknesses. But, yesterday also proved that SF are not the only team in their division. Arizona look good and Seattle are no push over. Probably best for SF and their new found "fans" to settle down and not get too excited, yet. They still have much to prove.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

redcloud wrote:SF's loss was humbling to their "fans". I put that in quotations as ever since last year they seem to have found many more "fans*" who were not with the team in their darker days. These "fans" are increasingly more and more obnoxious. Similar in fact to Boise State fans (love how quiet they are at the moment) and even Univ of Oregon fans (when the Ducks beat a true quality opponent I may then start to believe all the hype.
You could insert Michigan for Boise State too. In reverse though. All the Wal Mart Wolverines were pumping their chest when the pre season top 25 came out and they were ranked higher than Michigan State. That lasted what? 3 weeks?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I missed the Ravens game but it looked a treat. It was late here of course, I kept drifting in and out of sleep.

Skol Vikings! What a confidence boost, gotta guild on that now and keep going. Unlucky in Week 2, but the best team won.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Never was big on Denard Robinson. He won't make it in the NFL for several reason(s) :
- too short
- can't throw and not accurate

He sure can run, but NFL coaches will cringe when they see their qb running. Protypical qb's these days are : 6'4'' or taller, good fundamentals, strong arm. Brad Hoke is sure doing good job of recruiting, the next qb could be the one that takes them to the next level. Michigan's defense is horrible as well. Tougher to recruit now w/ Urban Meyer at Ohio University.

Granted it was a tough decision to make : a 4th and 1 play or go for the field goal. I don't know how deep they were in Tennessee territory and so I can't comment. However, Schwartz did say it was a " miscommunication " - what does that mean ? Did he initially want to kick the field goal instead of going for it ?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon with the issue of replacement referees...BUT, anybody who saw tonight's game between Seattle and Green Bay can confirm that they got it wrong. Mistakes are part of the game but we are seeing more and more of them as the weeks go on and the real refs are not working games. First of all....one ref called the play dead, another called it a TD. But, more to the point, not only was there blatant offensive pass interference but Greg Jennings definitely intercepted the ball but in the scrum it was wrestled out. The interception was clearly visible in the replay.

Seattle did play well tonight but I can also understand how cheated Green Bay and their fans must feel.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I don't have cable, so I didn't see the game, but I did see the highlights. It looked like it was an interception and the receiver just put his arm around the ball ? As well, he pushed he pushed one of the Packers out of the way when the ball was in the air, thus pass interference on the offense. Referring has been horrible and these are decisive games that could haunt you ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The pass interference was very blatant. He pushed the defender in the back so hard he fell forward. The ball was clearly intercepted. Two refs with different calls and then they reviewed it (?) yet didn't reverse it. Again, mistakes are part of the game but when you don't have the proper officials who are learning on the spot it is going to cost games. In a 16 week season every game is crucial.

That's not to take anything away from Seattle. They played hard and the game could have easily gone either way. To win/lose this way, however, doesn't feel good for either side and it's not good for the game. I suspect though that the Seattle fans will take it and gladly move on.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Now the Packers, Patriots and Shittsburgh are 1-2 in the beginning of this season. That's why there's always been parity in the NFL, as opposed to college football. Who would have thunk that those teams would have started like that ? The young season is up for grabs, the Cards beat the Pats and Eagles and could be a thorn to the 49'ers - we'll wait and see ?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Browns will win it all! Just you wait and see!! 13-3 starting this Thursday against Baltimore. Ok, I just woke up from my daydream....

But seriously, Houston and Atlanta also look like worthy contenders.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Not bad of a win for the 49'ers. Could have run up the score to 41 pts., but Kaepernick took a knee down in the 3 yd. line when he could have scored a touchdown. 245 yds. on the ground - not bad. Mark Sanchez just sucks, he should concentrate more on football than the dating scene in Manhattan. He thinks he is the reincarnation of Broadway Joe or something... The birds of Arizona barely won today, I can't wait until the showdown w/ S.F. in the coming weeks. We'll see how good Kolb is ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Not bad of a win for the 49'ers. Could have run up the score to 41 pts., but Kaepernick took a knee down in the 3 yd. line when he could have scored a touchdown. 245 yds. on the ground - not bad. Mark Sanchez just sucks, he should concentrate more on football than the dating scene in Manhattan. He thinks he is the reincarnation of Broadway Joe or something... The birds of Arizona barely won today, I can't wait until the showdown w/ S.F. in the coming weeks. We'll see how good Kolb is ...
Week four...a lot of teams are struggling to get a win. Atlanta, GB, and even Baltimore who only just beat Cleveland. All of this means there are some fun games to watch. Once Rex Ryan arrived at the Jets their likability took a serious nosedive. It's amazing how quiet he has been recently.

The Texans look the best in the AFC. Falcons look good in the NFC. Don't take your eyes off of them, Rich.

I have to say...I'm glad the Browns are not the only winless team. At least one can say that the Browns are simply too young (15 rookies starting), facing a difficult schedule and have a hapless coach. But man, how the mighty Saints have fallen. Not having Payton coaching doesn't help but the players should rise above and be playing better than this.

Watching the tail end of the Eagles v Giants game, right now. On paper the Eagles should be so much better than this. If they have another mediocre season it will be the end of Reid. If so, I bet he'll be hired in Cleveland.

RE: College football - Oregon State v Arizona was an awesome game!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

When you have Jets fan chanting T-E-B-O-W then you have major problems ... Tebow is not great either. :shock:

The birds ( Cards and Falcons ) are a major surprise.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:When you have Jets fan chanting T-E-B-O-W then you have major problems ... Tebow is not great either. :shock:
No, he is not. But...don't forget that he surprisingly helped take the Broncos to the playoffs last year and he dissected Pittsburgh's secondary in the wild card.
The birds ( Cards and Falcons ) are a major surprise.
The Falcons are not a surprise. They have been knocking on the door for a while. Matt Ryan is great QB and they have some stud offensive players. Not least, Julio Jones who the Browns could have had but we traded our 6th pick in the 2011 draft to Atlanta for a handful of picks in 2011/2012 draft. The thinking was that we had a lot of holes we had to fill so why take one great player when we can take a handful of decent players. Yea, ok...makes some sense but when I see our punk WR Greg Little time and time again dropping passes I frustratingly shake my head and think what we could have had. :evil:

Oh, the pain of being a Browns fan.....
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Another great outing for the 49'ers. 45-3 against the Bills. I think the Cardinals are coming back to earth after their great start. They don't have much of an offensive threat albeit Fitzgerald ( if you can get him the ball ). Shittsburgh barely won today and they don't look great. Yeah, the Falcons seem to be playing well ..... at least for now.

The Bay Area is buzzing this weekend, especially S.F., with the 49'ers homegame, S.F. Giants playoff game, America's Cup in the Bay, FleetWeek ( Blue Angels ), Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival ( Golden Gate Park ) and temperature hovering in the 70's and across the Bay you have the A's representing Oakland. :) Don't count the A's out yet, even tho' Shitroit is up 2-0 in the series ....
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Shittsburgh
Shitroit
Fucking hilarious! :shock:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Browns started off SOOO well in their game against the Giants. Two key turnovers and a rush defense that struggles and the defending champs quickly bounced ahead. We're the youngest team in the league and we make a lot of rookie mistakes. Plus, our star cornerback has been out for the past four games. Our 2nd string CB has been burned by opposing WR's. Looking forward to getting Haden back next week.

I am thinking next year the Browns could, and I am very sincere when I say this, be a true threat.

RISE ABOVE!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: They don't have much of an offensive threat albeit Fitzgerald ( if you can get him the ball ).
Ummmmm....Julio Jones? Matt Ryan too is a very solid QB. Any team would like him to be their starter. Wait...you were talking about the Cards. Wrong birds. Watch them Falcons. They don't look like they are going away too soon.

I have a soft spot for the Bills. Must be Lake Erie. Maybe it's the weather....maybe it's the four Super Bowls losses (what's worse to have never been to the bowl or to go four times and lose?). I also have a soft spot for the Chiefs and Lions too.

I was really hoping New Orleans would lose last night. That way Cleveland wouldn't be the only team 0-5. Bummer. It's lonely at the bottom. That said, I still think Jacksonville and even Oakland are worse teams than Cleveland. But, our record is....our record.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I watched the game this evening while doing some work. Houston looked ok but not brilliant. Couple times having to settle for 3 rather than the knock out punch. Foster though is a great RB. Not sure what he was averaging but he seemed to get chunks of yards almost every carry. But, their passing game never seemed to materialize. Where Houston looked very disruptive were on defense - especially the line.

The three front runners after week 5 are definitely Houston, Atlanta and SF. Baltimore want to be there but they could barely get passed both Cleveland and KC. Pats are there but they too still have things to iron out. The Falcons kinda remind me of the Oregon Ducks. Lots of high octane offense that is difficult to slow down. Not sure how great they are on defense.

Houston v SF would be a good, grind out match-up. JJ Watt would give Smith a serious head ache all afternoon.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

:D

Cleveland actually looked like a football team today.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Week 6 and....

1. SF's defense and offense were absent today
2. Atlanta may be 6-0 but they look very vulnerable
3. Ravens defense are in serious trouble and Baltimore could struggle from week 7 onwards
4. Houston looked horrible tonight (still playing and losing badly)
5. Patriots look mediocre
6. The Eagles will most likely clean house if they cannot win with their star studded roster. Doesn't help if your quarterback is responsible for 13/17 turnovers.
7. The NFC West has somehow morphed into a competitive division that should be fun to watch.
8. The Browns are no longer winless and we played our first "complete" game. Nice to get a win under our belt...11-5 from here forward. :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Cleveland's head coach is such a muppet. I have tried to exercise patience with him but quite honestly at this stage I am ready for our new owner to sack his ass. I would be happy to see the back of him now rather than prolong it until January. Let one of our assistant coaches take on the job as interim HC. At this stage we have nothing to lose.

Browns fans know that big changes are coming and I honestly think the future for our team is bright. But, we have to move forward from a coach who continually reveals that he is completely out of his depth. To add insult to injury, as his team loses week after week he shows little to no emotion. Hell, roadkill shows more emotion than this dolt. Grrrrr!

:evil:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Redcloud, you were a little presumptious of the birds from Arizona when they started 4-0. Kolb or Skelton ? C'mon. They ONLY managed 7 yards on the ground - SEVEN yards last nite against the 49'ers. Larry Fitz is their only threat and we took him out early, as well as Doucet. I think Jon Gruden aka - Chucky works for the public relations department for the 49'ers ? He couldn't stop gushing about how the 49'ers remind him of Alabama - no greater compliment than that. Also, he mentioned how the team is loaded w/ #1 draft picks and pro-bowlers. And how Aldon Smith reminds him of Charles Haley calling him a ' unique freak '.

Great time to be a San Francisco Bay Area sports fan ! 8)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Redcloud, you were a little presumptious of the birds from Arizona when they started 4-0. Kolb or Skelton ? C'mon. They ONLY managed 7 yards on the ground - SEVEN yards last nite against the 49'ers. Larry Fitz is their only threat and we took him out early, as well as Doucet.
Yes, I was. I was also too quick to say that the Bears would be mediocre and that the Viks would probably be the bottom of that division. I'm able to eat humble pie but remember.....the season is only half over. I'm still not sold on Cutler or Ponder so anything can happen. I mean, Chicago barely beat Carolina!

What gets me is Alex Smith. Fans in SF have given him a hard time for years and then he has a break out season (last year) and starts to put up numbers that are devastating (last night was superb). Quietly that guy has worked and worked and now he is quickly becoming one of the top QB's in the game. Patience is a virtue and I have always commended SF front office/coaches for being patient with him and not giving up. I think Colt McCoy is another kid who, with patience and nurturing and support could be a good, solid QB. Sadly our front office gave up on him. With exception to week one I do like what Weeden is doing though.

Who would have thought the Chiefs would have sunk so low? Two years ago they look like a rough gem with a bright future. Now they are a total mess. Is it Romeo Crennel? Cassel? Who knows but it's a shame as I was hoping to see them start to battle for that division. I think the AFC West has now officially become the weakest division in the league.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yesterday was a lazy day spent digging out from the leaves of the huge, old maple tree that extends its long arms over our house. Turned a couple College games on and managed to see the final 3 or so minutes + OT of the Michigan v Northwestern game. What an ending! I know spzretent is not a Wolverine but as an outsider watching the tail end of a game that seemed to be Northwestern's victory that catch by Michigan in the final seconds to give them the game tying field goal was pretty damn exciting.

Univ. of Oregon shredded another opponent. I live in Oregon but didn't attend college here. Of course I want to see both Univ of Oregon and Oregon State do well but the Duck fans are SOOO obnoxious. Almost as bad as Boise State fans. Problem is that Univ of Oregon's schedule has been pretty light in comparison to several other top 5/top 10 teams. But, as Alabama lost I suspect either Oregon or Kansas State will get #1. No question that the Ducks have an explosive offense. Their defense though is very suspect and I think if they do play for the National Championship they will have to score quick and furiously to make it difficult for the opponent. Playing an SEC team though will be hard for them. Even playing K-State could prove more competitive but I think Oregon could beat them.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Couple of good NFL games this weekend, including Shittsburgh vs. Baltimore and the 49'ers vs. DaBears.

Univ. of Nike could lose this weekend too ! Don't count Stanford out of knocking them out, if it ain't Stanford it'll be Oregon St. during the Civil War game ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Couple of good NFL games this weekend, including Shittsburgh vs. Baltimore and the 49'ers vs. DaBears.
Don't forget Browns vs Cowboys! :D
Univ. of Nike could lose this weekend too ! Don't count Stanford out of knocking them out, if it ain't Stanford it'll be Oregon St. during the Civil War game ...
Ducks only play two more teams that could potentially cause them problems. Both are the aforementioned ones. The Cardinal tomorrow should be a good one but I am actually looking ahead at their match up with the Beavers in Corvallis. They may lack the flash of Oregon but when Oregon State play well they are gritty and fun. Could be a brilliant Civil War! A lot of rumors up here that Chip Kelly may well go to NFL after this season. Especially if Oregon win the National Championship. His name has been thrown around in Cleveland but with about 10 or so coaches on the potential chopping block Kelly may well get the choice to go where ever he wants.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I have a chip on the shoulder ( no pun intended ) against Kelly. He seems to be a cheat, good riddance to him. Give him a year in the pros and he'll be back in the college ranks w/ Appalachian State...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:
spacemanrich wrote:I have a chip on the shoulder ( no pun intended ) against Kelly. He seems to be a cheat...
You mean like every coach in the SEC or Urban Meyer. Dont even get me started on College Basketball.
lets not forget USC!!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Well for NCAA basketball, the dirty cheats are : CALIPARI. Everywhere he goes their has been NCAA infractions against UMass, Memphis, etc. He takes to a whole new level. Bob Huggins doesn't seem to be honest as well. Honest b-ball coaches (for me include): Coach K, Bob Crean (Indiana), Bill Self (Kansas).

For NCAA football : Kiffin is on top of the list along w/ Chip Kelley. I think Urban Meyer is honest ( never heard a bad thing about him ) and this is his 1st year w/ Ohio University and they are in the top 10. Wait until he gets his recruiting going, he'll be a thorn in Michigan for a long time. Never heard a bad thing about Nick Saban as well ?

Yeah, if anything Stanford or Oregon State can beat Nike. Oregon State has a tendency to ' upset ' teams, just ask USC about that. I think the last two times that USC went up to Corvallis, the Beavers upsetted them when they were ranked #1 or 2 in the nation.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: For NCAA football : Kiffin is on top of the list along w/ Chip Kelley.

I may live in Oregon but I didn't attend the school. Sure, I want them to do well as it's good for the state and the University. But I'm what they call a "platypus" up here....I like to see both the Ducks and the Beavers do well. I do have a soft spot for Oregon State though.

I'll be honest I haven't heard all this "cheat" stuff about Kelly. Oregon has had its fair share of thugs come to the program but name a school that doesn't have that element? As obnoxious as the Duck fans are I think it is fair to say that Chip Kelly is a genius on the offensive side of the ball. I question the Ducks defense though. Also, Oregon walloping cupcake teams and only coming across 3 or 4 competitive teams makes me VERY cautious to think they can go all the way. THAT SAID, with Alabama losing last week this year is probably Oregon's best chance to win a National Championship.
I think Urban Meyer is honest ( never heard a bad thing about him ) and this is his 1st year w/ Ohio University
You mean Ohio STATE University. Fans in Athens would love to have Meyer as the Bobcats coach. But, they don't.
Never heard a bad thing about Nick Saban as well ?
I've heard both Saban and Kelly's name being mentioned as the top college coaches to be scouted for NFL jobs. If so, with potentially 10 head coach sackings on the horizon both of these guys would be able to choose where ever they want. Of course Gruden, Cowher and Billick are always, inevitably in the mix of coaching candidacy's too.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yep Izzo is clean, in fact I like Izzo.

No, seriously it is going to be a great game tonite - raining up in Eugene, so what's new ! I think Univ.of Oregon will either lose to Stanford or Oregon State - no kiddin'. For some reason, I also see Kansas State losing one game and it'll be Alabama vs. Notre Dame for the Nati'l Championship. I'll take the TIDE. I can see Alabama making it to the Nat'l Championship if the stars are aligned and a couple of losses for the unbeaten teams. The Tide play in one of the most competitive conferences, the best in fact.

The Ravens will trounce on Leftwich, Big Ben will be out indefinately that's for sure.

Time to open that bottle of Chateau Lafite for the Stanford/Nike game ... Just kiddin' - just a vin ordinaire from Trader Joe's...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I ain't Nostradamus or anything like that, but now it is halftime. Baylor Univ. is up 28-7 against Kansas St., looks like Kansas St. will fall ?

Stanford is tied 7-7 w/ the Mighty Ducks of Eugene. Stanford is the only team to hold the Ducks without a score in the 1st quarter and they snuffed out (2) fourth and goal plays. Could go either way in the second half, but I'll tip my hat to Stanford, they have the better defense.

So Kansas St. and Oregon loses tonite. It moves Notre Dame to #1 , Alabama was sitting at #4, they move up to #2 - their's your Championship game !

I don't think Notre Dame will lose next week at USC, Matt Barkley might be out w/ the shoulder injury ???
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

(8:36pm PST) :

Stanford knocks out Univ. of Nike w/ OT win in Autchez Stadium !!!!!!!!!!

Baylor knocks out K. State ( was ranked #1).

Stage is set :

Univ. of Notre Dame will be #1 in the ranked polls.
Alabama sitting at #4 will move up to #2.

Championship Game : Bama vs. Irish
Winner : Roll Tide.

Further Insult : Univ. of Oregon will go on a two game loss slide, losing next week to the Beavers in Corvallis !!!

Drunk, but HAPPY !!!!!!!!!! :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Oregon v Stanford was a good game! Ducks were sitting ducks and primed for the upset (no pun intended). Not sure what this loss will do. Are they now automatically out of BCS and playing for Rose Bowl? Can Oregon still make BCS? Alabama have a loss too but does computer go on strength of schedule? Civil War has even greater implications now. Next week will be a fun evening in Oregon.

College football is great....there really are no gimmes. I was at the Portland State vs Eastern Washington game today. PSU were 3-7 going into the game and Eastern Wash are ranked 16th in country and playing for a three way tie for Big Sky Conference and potential Championship game in their Division. PSU gave them a hard time and only lost in the final minute. Great game!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ok...so next week Notre Dame may face a Barkley-less USC. If so, they have a good chance of winning and going to the National Championship. But, who would they play and what if they don't win? Assume that Oregon, K-State and Alabama all win next week. K-State are surely gone from the hunt because they lost to unranked Baylor. But, how will the computer place Oregon and 'Bama? Alabama definitely play tougher teams than Oregon and even ND. Arguably one can say ND's schedule is tougher than Oregon's. But, Oregon only just lost to a tough opponent. Alabama were beaten pretty convincingly. Who will the computers favor for BCS? Is Oregon now playing against Oregon State for a berth to the Rose Bowl only?

The Civil War couldn't be more HUGE. Going to watch it with some friends....they are all Duck fans and UofO alum so I know who they will be cheering for. I don't care who wins but I do like Oregon State. Not sure why. It's probably the underdog thing.

Looking forward to when they instigate playoffs in NCAA instead being at the mercy of a computer for rankings.

Browns vs Cowboys in a couple hours. I'm feeling an upset is on the horizon for Jerry Jones and his billion dollar under achievers. But then again, I wake up every Sunday thinking Cleveland will win. :roll:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Fuck the Ducks.

Averaging an astounding 54.8 points per game and yet got shutdown with 14 points at Anshitz Stadium ( one of the toughest stadiums to play in ). They have their fancy, shiny helmets, ever changing unis, but when it comes down to it, you got to play football. If Bama beat Auburn next week and Irish beat USC then the stage will be set :

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -ap-top-25

Ducks, K-State out of the picture. SEC Rules.

Also, BigBen will be out 3 weeks. They play tonite against the Ravens and they play the Ravens again in 2 weeks. Two losses for Shittsburgh ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

You like inserting "shit" into words don't you?

I think your anti-Ducks rant is just another form of bandwagon'ing. The uniform, the flashy offense, Phil Knight connection. It's easy to see why people NOT from Oregon don't like them.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ok...so I have had 3 or so hours to calm down after that Cleveland v Dallas game. Hard to blame the refs for our OT loss. When you have a 13-0 lead and then let a team back into it only to then take 20-17 lead with 1 min left you HAVE to finish the deal. Fair point. We scored less than them so we lost.

BUT....fucking hell man, there were some shit calls in that game. Defensive pass interference for barely touching the guy and then unnecessary roughness that put the game into a tie were lousy calls. The real stinker though was a clear fumble in OT that Cleveland got but the refs said "it was never a completed pass". WTF? The receiver had it in his hands and took 4 steps when our D-back stripped it. As it wasn't reviewable nor a play we could challenge (as per OT rules) that totally hosed us.

How MUCH did Jerry pay those refs? Cowboys are much more marketable than the Browns and Jerry could not afford to lose to us in his stadium.

Poor sport? Maybe. But, I think anybody who watched that full game can testify Cleveland were screwed.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Enough Said.

Chucky aka Jon Gruden again works for the Public Relations for the 49'ers. ' They have so many offensive plays, they can play a double header ', ' Aldon Smith is a unique freak ', ' I have never seen that offensive play before,etc ... The 49'ers now have a quarterback controversy, not a bad problem to have.

Colin Kaepernick is the ONLY ncaa quarterback to throw for 10,000 yards and run for 4,000 yards ! Nice pick up from the GM, as well as Aldom Smith. The D-Line is the best in the NFL : The Smith Bros (both out of Missouri), Novorro Bowman, Patrick Willis.

Let's see them play on the road next week against the NO Ain'ts.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I admit that the 49ers look good. Damn good. Even their back-up QB was able to rip a solid defensive team to shreds. That said, keep in mind Chicago were without Cutler - a good but not great QB. But, they are 7-3 and Cutler is certainly better than Jason Campbell. So they need him to be healthy.

The Bears offensive line though was like a wet sponge. My 12 year old son could have broken through it. With a line like that no QB in the league would have had a chance in hell against the Niners defense. Maybe the Offensive Line coach needs a crash course in how to block? Cutler was concussed for a reason but every season he seems to take a pummeling. Before they know it, even their back-up will be out.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Bears were w/o Cutler, the 49'ers were w/o Smith. J.Campbell has 70 professional starts under his belt (Redskins, Raiders and Bears), Colin the 1st start of his career. Campbell played like a deer in the headlights, he was lost and clueless. The Bears O-line has more holes than swiss cheese. Colin looked pretty comfortable in the pocket and he can thread it to players whereas Smith might be reluctant to make that same pass. I can't see Smith throwing that nice pass to Kyle Williams, because he seems to not take 'risks' - that's okay. He still wins ball games, but Colin adds 'more depth' to the position and he can run w/ his feet, whereas Smith might make take the sack. Tough decision next week. The 49'ers held Chicago like 150 yards the whole evening. Forte and Brandon Marshall were shutout ! We haven't even played Brandon Jacobs or LaMichael James yet !!!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

You Niner fans were/are never happy with Alex Smith. I think you should cut him and let him go to the Chiefs or something. He's capable of running an offense. Not fair to now flip flop and cause QB controversies in your locker room. Smith was your starter and was getting the job done before his concussion. When he returns from injury he should go back in. In the long run, if Kaeppernick offers more diversity and options for your team then it would only be fair for Harbaugh to give Smith that opportunity to branch out elsewhere. God knows KC needs a QB!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Seems like Alex is still concussed, so he might be doubtful for the game next week - depends on the neurosurgeon ?

It's a nice problem to have - which quarterback to play. Just ask Chicago after J.Campbell's outing. Is he the go to guy or Gabe McKnown? Neither are good. How about B.Leftwich or Charlie Batch for Shittsburgh ? Again, those two are also terrible ...

The games should be good on Thursday - should be even btwn the Redskins and Cowgirls.

Have a nice Turkey Day. :)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I saw a good bit of the Lions game today while cooking our Thanksgiving dinner. That was a great game but just like the Browns when it went into the 4th and the Lions allowed Houston back into it I had a bad feeling Detroit were going to lose. Fun game to watch though. Have to say, Houston's last two games have been against below .500 teams yet they have struggled and been on the brink of losing - only to win in the 5th qtr both times. Something will have to change if Texans expect to go deep into the playoffs or beyond.

I didn't see the Dallas v Washington or the Jets v Pats game but did see the scores. Cowboys barely beat Cleveland and now they lose to Washington. Sure, the Skins have a great QB but they are still a handful of players away from being true competitors. What this says is Dallas really are in a miserable position and good 'ol Jerry is going to have to make some big decisions in the off season. Only the lowly Eagles with their star studded roster are in a worse place in the NFC East.

Man, the Jets just like the Eagles are also total dysfunction (as is KC). All those big names and that loud mouth coach of theirs yet, they get ripped apart...again. Big changes in the Big Apple are definitely on the horizon for the Jets.

Browns v Steelers on Sunday. Can Cleveland figure out a way to win against Charlie Batch?