Football (American style)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

Re: Football (American style)

Post by spacemanrich »

That's the name of the game, play one team off another. He probably doesn't want to leave Oregon, but perhaps to " test the waters " or better yet, let Univ. of Nike ante up more money :evil:

Wouldn't be suprised if Packers beat the 49'ers next week. The Packers are running on all cylinders and their players are healthy i.e. - Cobbs, Jennings, Jordy Nelson and Charles Woodson. 49'ers are banged up w/o Justin Smith (tricep tear), Morningham (torn acl), Kendall Hunter (also acl or achilles tendon ?) Aaron Rodgers is playing off the charts. It will be a good game that's for sure !
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

From what I've been reading, my gut feeling is that Chip Kelly is going to stay at Oregon. Philly media isn't really saying much other than that the Eagles still plan to meet with Mike McCoy....and that Doug Marrone signed with the Bills.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Redskins should have won that game. The Skins went up 14-0 in the 1st qtr., but then RGIII re-injured his knee. Close, tight game at 14-13 and he wasn't mobile enough to run nor throw the ball. Tough call, but should have went w/ ex-Michigan St. Kirk Cousins in the 2nd half. Haven't seen one game w/ the Atlanta Falcons this year, but I'll take them next week against the Seahawks in the Dome. Only caught the 2nd half of the Texans game and they don't impress me. New England will annihlate them.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:That's the name of the game, play one team off another. He probably doesn't want to leave Oregon, but perhaps to " test the waters " or better yet, let Univ. of Nike ante up more money :evil:
Fuck Chip Kelly! If he returns to Oregon I will now ALWAYS support Oregon State over his Ducks. Fuck him!! He played the Browns like fools. He is a greedy, egotistical asshole. If he decides to sign with Philly, fuck them too! I say that with some credibility too as I have family from northern Delaware/southern PA and Philly being the closest team. Because of that, I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the Eagles, Phillies and Sixers. My heart is thinking Philly are also being duped by this douchebag!

Sorry for my disgust....I went out with a couple buddies to watch the Skins/Seahawks game so have had four pints of Stella. But, I speak with my heart on my sleeve. Maybe, however, Kelly stiffing us is a blessing in disguise.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:The Redskins should have won that game.
Skins started out brilliant. I was shocked. To be fair, Seahawks adjusted and beat them fair and square. Agreed that Shanahan should have adjusted and put Cousins in much earlier. RG3 will not last five years in this league if he continues to be pummeled like that!

'hawks v Falcons will be a good game. Atlanta are like Oregon....lots of offense, not so much defense. We'll see what they can do. Seattle are hot, hot, HOT!. With Luck and RG3 losing I reckon it's a no brainier that the 3rd rounder (?) Wilson will win rookie of the year.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Minky,

Chip Kelly played the Browns and Eagles like fools! He did the same thing last year to Tampa. Sorry for my profanity laced rant yesterday. I was pretty angry about it and I had a couple beers! I find it absolutely disgusting that his antics were most likely done to get some leverage on University of Oregon and Phil Knight. I really have lost all respect for the man.

Eagles FO seem to be more proactive at the moment than the Browns. After the bullshit games with Kelly the Eagles immediately went to Denver to interview Mike McCoy, who I would like the Browns to interview too. I REALLY hope we get this hire right. I'm somewhat concerned though because the last email update I had said the Browns were interviewing some dude from the Canadian Football League! :oops: :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Did Chip Kelly get a raise to stay at Oregon?
Phil Knight kicked in some of his personal millions to line his coffers. All the Duck fans are reveling in it and think Chip has come home. But, at the end of the day he has shown no real commitment to them either as he has interviewed for three teams in two years and has been DEEP into negotiations before Phil swooped in and anted up. Disgusting.

Like I said...all respect I had for the guy is now gone. As long as Kelly coaches at Oregon I will support Mike Riley and Oregon State.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Ducks fans will go through this every year until he bolts.
An Oregon alum/colleague of mine told me he thinks Kelly's holding out for Belichick's job at New England (Kelly's from New Hampshire). :roll:

As a good friend also said...all of this may well be a blessing in disguise for Browns fans. He's right. We need somebody 100% committed to the job, the city and the fans to help turn our team around.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, Chippy seems like a fake. I wouldn't hire him. It's like nite/day in the NFL, some succeed where others don't, including Nick Saban ( 2 yrs. w/ the Miami Dolphins ). He got asked AGAIN if he is jumping to the NFL and he explains it, kinda angrily.

My gosh, why would you leave Alabama ? They are on a ROLL ( no pun intended ). He could be the next Bear Bryant and he's still a young guy. Blue Chippers would flock to Alabama like honey to grits.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bow ... -not-plans

At least he is honest, unlike Chippy Kelly where he'll play you until he gets what he wants - MONEY$$$. So what if he is from Deleware, who said that Robert Kraft is going to hire him after Bill Bilichick ? Once Bill Bilichick retires, I see Tom Brady doing the same ( he's 36 yrs.old ). Both got a few more years left ... I hope the NCAA nail Univ.of Oregon w/ player recruitment issues ! :evil:
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote:As a good friend also said...all of this may well be a blessing in disguise for Browns fans. He's right. We need somebody 100% committed to the job, the city and the fans to help turn our team around.
Sorry for the late reply, what your friend said is basically my same thoughts for the Browns (& Eagles). I think Kelly wants to stay in his comfort zone of being coach of winning team. Maybe he's not up for the challenge of trying to turn a NFL team's losing record into a winner, I could be wrong.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Yeah, Chippy seems like a fake.
I don't think he seems fake. Wrong word. I think he played games and wasted a lot of people's time. What for? Seemingly, more money and to continue having his ego stroked. Yes, he has a lot of control in Eugene, more than he would have been granted in the NFL as an unproven talent. He also resides on a very high pedestal in Oregon. Basically, he chose the safe, secure bet and managed to fleece a ton more money for it. Greed and narcissism is what it all comes down to and I find both of these qualities disgraceful.

People keep saying that Saban couldn't make it in the NFL as he already failed once before. Looking beyond his stint with the Dolphins...he did actually make it. He was a successful DC with the Browns back in the early 90's when Belichick was Cleveland's coach. Also, look at Carroll. He didn't do too well his first time around but now he's in the Divisional playoff. Different circumstances, different times....I think Saban could succeed.

Speaking of Alabama.....wow, so where was that "superior" Notre Dame defense? I think even the Ducks could have made for a better game but I still don't think Kelly could have beat the Tide. They looked pretty awesome. Saying that, I turned it off when it went 28-0 and watched a pretty great Trailblazers game instead. :D
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

All I can say is, I am looking forward to watching Ray Lewis' career end in person on Saturday. :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yet to be announced by the team but word is the Browns hired Panthers OC, Rod Chudzinski as head coach. He will in turn most likely bring in Norv Turner as the OC.

Not sure what to think. Norv will be good as OC and Chud was actually on the Browns coaching staff before going to Carolina. He grew up in Toledo as a life long Browns fan. That is all good and I hope that he succeeds. I just hope with the many candidates out there that this was the right decision.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Baltimore vs Denver playoff game. :shock:

WOW, what a game! I really hate the Ravens for obvious reasons and the Broncos too are a team I have never liked (Browns lost too many huge games to Elway) but I am supporting the Broncos in this one. If Alex English is at this game he got his money's worth. As a fan of the sport this has been great fun to watch.

OT just about to start...

EDIT: Peyton will take the blame for this one. But, the Broncos safety was burned big time that allowed the game to be tied with a minute left. GREAT game tho. Shame that I have to look at the Art Modell patch for at least another week. I really hope Baltimore don't go to the Super Bowl. :evil:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Any thoughts on the S.F. 49'ers ? Other than bring on the birds of the PacificNorthWest or the South, because they are going to clip their wings.

Redcloud: now do you know why CK7 is starting instead of Alex Smith ? Would Alex been able to make that 70 yard scramble up the middle that faked out the camera man and myself w/ the read option play ? He can do it with his arm and his feet, in fact, they should do more of those option plays. An NFL record of 181 yards on the ground for CK7 ! Quote by Charles Woodson:

''I didn't know how fast he was,'' Green Bay defensive back Charles Woodson said. ''Coming in I really never paid attention to it. But he is fast.''

Most running backs would envy 181 yards on the ground, that is the kind of running Adrian Peterson does ocasionally. CK7 kept his composure after the quick interception and did he bounce back ! True grit right there for his 1st postseason game. Terry Bradshaw was lost for words and he is a legend ! :shock: What a difference Justin Smith is once he is in the lineup, can't run the ball and just chokes you to death. Packers gave up 550+ yards in total defense, can't stop the offensive machine.

Great game btwn Ravens vs. Broncos. I, too don't like the Ravens and thought Broncos had a better chance : i.e. - homefield advantage, P.Manning, etc. But what a game Joe Flacco had and the Broncos defense shouldn't have conceded that long bomb w/ 30 seconds to go.

Be a great game btwn Falcons vs. Seahawks ( don't really care who wins that one ) - SF will smash them :evil:
Patriots over the Texans.

S.F. vs. Patriots for SuperBowl or maybe, a Harbaugh Bowl of S.F. vs. Baltimore ?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:
Redcloud: now do you know why CK7 is starting instead of Alex Smith ?
He was good. Better than good.....I admit he played lights out. Shame about Alex Smith though but after Kap's game against the Pack I don't think Smith will ever lead the Niners again. I hope he gets his chance to lead an offense. I'd like to see him move over to the Chiefs.

I really don't like the Ravens but man....they NEVER gave up did they? That playoff game will go down as one of the very best. Far too many mistakes by Denver so Peyton can't take all the blame. For example, with 30 sec left, two time outs why did their coach tell them to take a knee? All they needed was a FG to win. :roll:

I'm looking forward to the Seattle v Atlanta game. At this stage I am hoping for a Seattle v SF NFC Championship. Two west coast teams, same division, PAC 10 rival coaches, two young, quality QB's, two solid defenses. That will make for a GREAT rivalry. But first the 'hawks have to get passed the Falcons. Atlanta are a bit like Oregon Ducks...a lot of offense but not known for defense. Seattle, on paper, have the more complete team. But, we'll see.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

EXACTLY ! Why did they take the knee and decide on OT, 30 seconds is a lot to drive downfield and perhaps kick a field goal, just ask John Elway about that one against the Browns eons ago - not to rub it in, but to give you an example of how loooong 30 seconds is.

Just got back from the gym and the Falcons are up 20 against the Seahawks. The Seahawks don't play well on the road, sure they beat the Redskins last week, but RG3 looked like Capt.Bligh hobbling on one leg. Go ahead and take Russell Wilson over CK7. CK7 is rock solid and is not as good overall ( my humble opinion ). CK7 almost ran for 200 yds. (181) - geez ! :shock:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

All (3) games have been very, very good. W0W, the Falcons didn't deserve to win that one after a nice 20 pt. lead and what a nice comeback by Seattle. WHY WOULD YOU DO AN ONSIDE KICK WITH 8 SECONDS LEFT !!! What was the thinking behind that idea ?! Seattle could and they did throw a hail mary that was intercepted. S.F. match up better with Atlanta than Seattle, I'm glad we don't have to face Marshawn Lynch nor Russell Wilson. Coach Harbaugh will outcoach Mike Smith next week. ATL didn't impress me that much, esp. almost losing the football game like that.

Yeah, gutsy move by Harbaugh to change qb mid-season and Alex Smith ' was ' having a fantastic year ! I mean, he knows quarterbacks i.e. - Andrew Luck and revitilizing Alex Smith's career, but he saw something in CK7 that just stood out. After all, he did play the qb position and is a MICHIGAN MAN. Some talk that Alex might go to the Arizona Cardinals, they certainly need a qb.

Can you believe that Chicago is considering Mike Singletary as head coach ! He may know defense, but I just don't think he is cut out to be a head coach. He doesn't seem to be ' people friendly ' or have the personality that the job requires. :roll: Geez, to fire Lovie Smith after a 10-6 record ? Most teams would envy that record, including Dallas ....

The last game tonite should be a sleeper ...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This is why I only get excited when the playoffs start.
I have never really had a local team to root for.
Three incredible games so far.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Seattle game was excellent. Especially the second half. When they went up 28-27 with 30sec left I really thought they won it. Amazing couple plays by Atlanta to get the winning field goal. But, even when it came down to Seattle's final play it was either try the hail mary or go for a 60+ yard FG (in a dome). I was thinking that the percentages of either working might be similar but hail mary's are always messy with all the bodies jumping for the ball. To try for the long FG may have been the safer option? Maybe their kicker said he couldn't hit it from that distance?

With exception to the NE game three of these playoffs were great and two were outstanding. I just hope both Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl matches the quality of football we have seen this weekend.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

What a turn of events, so ..... Chippy is the new Eagles coach - I don't anyone saw this. I think he probably wanted to 'renegotiate' w/ his contract and Phil Knight ( Univ.of Nike ) but he said NO. Phil Knight is not the GM nor President, but he is on the board of trustees and he carries A LOT of weight. So, he fled to the Eagles. I'll give him 2-3 yrs. before they run him out of town and he'll be the head coach of Univ.of Delaware or UConn or maybe Chatanooga State .... :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:What a turn of events, so ..... Chippy is the new Eagles coach - I don't anyone saw this.
Well, I have now lost even more respect for the guy. He was meeting with recruits only two days ago and told them he would be coach at Univ of Oregon. Clearly he was still having conversations with the front office of Philadelphia. Not only does his flip flopping show a total lack of commitment to Duck fans (who love him and were all upset today at work) but, to be honest, it also shows a lack of commitment to Philly. If he really wanted the Eagles job why not jump at it 10 days ago?

Sorry Minky, I know you may now be stoked but all this has left a sour taste in my mouth.
spacemanrich wrote: I'll give him 2-3 yrs. before they run him out of town and he'll be the head coach of Univ.of Delaware :oops:
Hey man, Delaware Blue Hens have a consistently good program! They weren't great this year but they are often near the top or winners of their Conference and have had several appearances in the Div. 1 Championship game. But yea, it is still a step down from both Univ of Oregon & the NFL.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, I shouldn't rip the program (Univ.of Delaware) in fact, don't know too much about it. Joe Flacco went there. And look at CK7 at Univ.of Nevada - that ain't a typical football program... Good players don't necessarily have to come from the football factories of Univ.of Michigan, Alabama, Florida, USC ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Browns made some good coaching appointments. Rob Chudzinsky (new HC) is a lifelong Browns fan who was once on our staff and has now come home to his "dream job". He's proven he can do some decent things with young QB's and he favors the high powered offensive schemes and attack defenses. I'm very happy with Norv Turner as our new OC. He's one of the most respected offensive coaches in the league. I think he can get the best out of T. Rich, our young receivers and I'm hopeful he can make Weeden the guy Browns fans want him to be. Yesterday, we sealed the deal and made Ray Horton our DC. Great hire. That guy should be a HC. He created Pittsburgh's secondary to be the feared machine they once were. He then went to Arizona and helped that team become a tight defensive unit. Arizona Fans are really upset Horton didn't get the HC gig there and that he has now left. Their loss is the Browns gain!

Conference Championships predictions anyone?

I'm not a New England fan but I will be cheering loud and hard for them to beat Baltimore.

SF v Atlanta? I'd quite like to see Atlanta beat the Niners but I think they will have to be on top form to do so. It all depends on the game Kap has as well as the Falcons ability to break through the SF defense.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Those birds from the dirty south don't make it easy. But, at least were in. SuperBowl for a 2nd year coach - not bad. I'm sure he picked up some wisdom during his playing days at Michigan w/ Bo Schlembeger (spelling?).

What true grit for CK7 when the 49'ers were down 17-0 on the road and just rallied back !

Onto the second game, really don't care who wins. But it'd be something w/ a Harbaugh Bowl btwn brothers. However, I can't stand Ray Lewis ... :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:
What true grit for CK7 when the 49'ers were down 17-0 on the road and just rallied back !
Falcons defense have allowed teams to do this all year. It nearly destroyed them last week but it was one game too many this week.

Everybody talks about the game becoming more offensive (eg. Chip Kelly style coaching) and the days of attack defense are apparently "numbered". But, look what happens when you have a team with a lot of offense and little defense. Sure, scoring a lot of points may be exciting for fans to watch....BUT at the end of the day you have to also stop the other team from scoring too!

I hope the Browns and their new coaches work out a fine balance on both sides of the ball.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The 49'ers defense can be suffocating and stifling and other times porous like swiss cheese. Matt Ryan did a good job on the secondary where Culliver, Rogers, Brown and Goldson can't seem to stop their receiving corps of R.White and J.Jones. :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:J.Jones.
Julio could have been a Cleveland Brown. We traded our sixth pick with Atlanta for a handful of picks in the last two drafts. Atlanta moved up and chose Julio. I know, I know...Browns needed to look at the big picture and had many holes to fill, which we did. But man, every time I see that guy make one of his Lynn Swann, ballet style acrobatic catches I think to myself what could have been.

Baltimore v NE is a good game (Ravens just took lead 14-13). We have been spoiled with some tremendous playoff games this year. I hope the Super Bowl delivers similar quality and excitement.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

In fact, I read it in the Sunday paper where ATL traded ( 6 ) players for Julio Jones. You need a receiver for Matt Ryan to throw to and they made a good call on that one. Wow, what a hit Ridley got where he fumbled the ball. How come a helmet-to-helmet call wasn't called on that play ? He just crumbled to the ground.

Looks like it's gonna be a Harbaugh Bowl, I'll take Jim's team :o
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

When NE were down 28-13 on 4th and 4 and in FG range with 8 or so minutes left why did they chose to go for it? Why not take the 3 pts, hope your def stop them then get the ball back? In the end it was a total wasted play. Brady scrambled to his left where he probably could have made the first down but it took him a week to decide whether to run or throw and he misfires. Weird call.

Harbaugh Bowl it is. No doubt the media will be drooling over this one.

By default, I'll be rooting for SF. The thought of Baltimore winning really worries me. :roll:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I like the barb by Wes Welker's wife on Ray Lewis :

"Proud of my husband and the Pats. By the way, if anyone is bored, please go to Ray Lewis' Wikipedia page. 6 kids 4 wives. Acquitted for murder. Paid a family off. Yay. What a hall of fame player! A true role model!" Burns Welker said in a since-deleted post on her personal Facebook page. " :P
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Not overly excited by this Super Bowl. Yes, it should be a good game with relatively evenly matched teams but I can't root for the Ravens and I don't like Jim H. So, it's kind of the better of two evils for me. SF it is.

On a basic football issue though it's worth noting that everybody talks about the offensive game taking over from the old school defensive style, hard nosed football. Interestingly, BOTH high octane offenses of NE and Atlanta were beaten by teams with strong defenses. Yes, both Baltimore and SF have solid offenses too, which gives them the complete package BUT my point being....Chip Kelly had better hire himself a decent DC if he is to succeed in the NFL!

And as we're on to Chip Kelly (again)....I question why he chose Browns ex-HC, Pat Shurmur as his new OC at Philly. :roll: Ummmm....did Kelly ever watch any Browns games? Yes, we were competitive but we only scored 44 touch downs all year. Compare that to Carolina who scored TWICE as many TD's as Cleveland. Shurmur called all plays his first year in Cleveland and we were terrible! We then hired Brad Childress last year as OC but Shurmur still had final say in all play calling and he was extremely poor and very conservative. Seems a strange choice by Chip but then again....Shurmur was once on Andy Reid's staff so maybe the Philly FO wanted him back?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

In the midst of the SuperBowlDrama, it has been revealed that Alex Smith has asked to be released from the 49'ers. I hope the 49'ers do this, because he has been thru the ringer and w/ his demotion he has been nothing but professional ! No complaining, no negative tweets and in fact has complimented CK7 on his performance. Thru his 7 years w/ the organization, he probably went thru 5+ offensive coordinators and 3 head coaches and never had the stability until now.

Redcloud, they mentioned he might go to Cleveland, because I, guess Norv Turner is now the new offensive coordinator and they have a good relationship. At this point, I see him going to a contender and not a team rebuilding. For some reason, I see going to Arizona, but do the 49'ers want him to go there, considering that they are in the same division ?

However, if the 49'ers release him ( as desired ) they get NOTHING. If they trade him, they can get several draft picks for him. Unfortunately, this is a business and I see the latter instead of the former in this situation. :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: Redcloud, they mentioned he might go to Cleveland, because I, guess Norv Turner is now the new offensive coordinator and they have a good relationship. At this point, I see him going to a contender and not a team rebuilding. For some reason, I see going to Arizona, but do the 49'ers want him to go there, considering that they are in the same division ?
Well, firstly, Alex Smith DESERVES to run an offense. He has had a rough time his entire tenure at the Niners. Fans were horrible, sports columnists horrible. So, he needs to move on to some place where he can be the QB he has worked hard to be and where he knows he can fit in and run the system. A part of me would also love to see Smith on the Chiefs but I'm not sure if he is the type of QB Andy Reid goes for. I have always had a soft spot for KC and they desperately need a QB. There is certainly not a lack of talent in KC look how many of their players were in the Pro Bowl! If he does go to Arizona it would make the NFC West very interesting with Seattle/SF/AZ having rivalries and a bit of redemption.

Now, as for Cleveland. Yes, our season was 5-11 but we also started 15 or so rookies and 23 on our team were either 1st or 2nd year players. We also, for whatever reason, had the third or fourth toughest schedule in the entire league. But, we were still competitive in most games and a play or two away from a 9-7 record. We are not rebuilding and I truly believe we are a just a couple pieces short of being true contenders in our division.

This past year the Browns also took new ownership, the guy who bought us has good intentions (he's a Texan so he's willing to ante up to get what he wants...I just hope he doesn't become Jerry Jones pt.II). Unless the team finished .500 or above it was obvious he was going to start with a clean slate and release coaches at the end of the season. BUT, the Browns have some solid players now. We have a solid offensive line and some top notch young talent on both offense and defense. We have a couple question marks though and most notably at QB. Is Brandon Weeden the guy? Is Colt McCoy? We're not sure because for whatever reason in Cleveland we give them one year and then give up on them. Would I like to see Alex Smith as a Brown? Sure. I like him and believe he is capable. But, I do not think that would be fair to Weeden or McCoy who Norv may be able to do something with that our previous coaches couldn't. But you know what? At the end of the day I just want the Browns to fucking win! Whatever it takes...if that means Alex Smith then sign him up! My patience is thin but I do still have optimism, belief and above all, hope.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Annual Super Bowl chili today. Also have some chips, dips, fizzy drinks for kids, a growler of some very good local ale and we made some cupcakes. Now, all we need is a good game. Not especially excited about either team but today I will be pulling hard for the red and gold to win. Baltimore? Please, no! :evil:

Browns have over 44 million in cap space! Our new owner says he will build through the draft but he says he is willing to use $$$$ at free agency for the right players. I think with some good draft picks and even better FA moves we can be in the playoffs next year!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

C'mon, not a S.F.49er fan ? What did they do to you ? :oops:

Should be a good defensive game, the team w/ the less turnover(s) will win the game. I reckon it will probably be low scoring ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:C'mon, not a S.F.49er fan ? What did they do to you ? :oops:

Should be a good defensive game, the team w/ the less turnover(s) will win the game. I reckon it will probably be low scoring ...
They did nothing to me. But, I don't like how Alex Smith has been treated. He's never been given a fair deal there. Does that affect me? No. It's business and you give yourself the best opportunity to win. I get it.

I have, however, had to deal with smug colleagues of mine who not only grew up in Bay Area but also went to Univ of Oregon. I'm tired of their smug ass faces smirking yet again about how great they are and "oh, and how about your Browns"? "Is Weeden really your man"? Fuck off, please! There are very few fans out there that truly understand what it means to be a Browns fan.

Ultimately, I admit....I am jealous. Five rings already....potentially a 6th after today. Two World Series within three years. Greedy fuckers! That said, I will be supporting SF to win because....every Browns fan has true reasons to dislike Baltimore. Ignoring that they are division rivals remind yourself how that team originated. :evil:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Really not fussed about American Football; glorified rugby with too much body armour, too many breaks, too many players, too many rules, too much hype and it seems like a game lasts for 5 hours with only about an hour of actual playing time. Oh, and the fact that people seem to be more interested in the half time entertainment than on the actual game...WTF??!! :? :shock:

Would love San Fran to win the Super Bowl though, purely due to the fact I nearly moved there a few years ago and the sheer amount of quality music that comes out of the area is just fantastic.

Don't know much about Baltimore except isn't that where The Wire is set?...and I don't think McNulty, Bunk, Omar and Stringer Bell are ever going to win a game of football :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Shinesalight wrote: Don't know much about Baltimore except isn't that where The Wire is set?...and I don't think McNulty, Bunk, Omar and Stringer Bell are ever going to win a game of football :wink:
Oh In-DEEd
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Almost a nice comback from S.F., I mean 28-6 is a deep hole. It is a hole that they dug themselves in the 1st half - a fumble by LaMichael James and an interception from CK7. Like I said before the game, turnovers will dictate the outcome of the game. Again, S.F. started with a pretty big deficit, but they clawed back and almost won. On the last drive for S.F., instead of throwing the ball in the red zone, they should have utilized the legs of CK7 and tried a run play. I'm sorry, a pass in the red zone is too dangerous and compacted, a run play would have been a better outcome ?

Like Shinealight mentioned the SuperBowl is pretty commercialized. I mean, the preview game started at 8 am on the West Coast - give me a break. You mean 7 hours or so of pre game shit ! Also, the halftime show ( which I don't watch, I just turn off the telly ) is a joke ! I don't give a shite it it's the Rolling Stones or Beyonce'. The Europeans do it so much better w/ the the World Cup and EuroCup halftime show. C'mon, adverts are adverts. Americans are so hungup about the ADVERTS. Buy. Buy. Buy. That's capitalism for you ....

Fuck R.Lewis - double murder suspect, 6 kids w/ 4 different surrogates - what a joke !
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

:evil:

Well, Baltimore outplayed SF tonight so as much as it pains me to admit this....they deserved the win. I feared at one point it was going to be a yawn fest/blow out. But, by the middle of the third it started to get interesting. Now on to Flacco.....to his credit the dude has played lights out throughout the post season. Some of his best football I have ever seen him play was against Denver in the playoffs, New England in the AFC Championship and now San Francisco in the Super Bowl.

Between Pittsburgh and Baltimore it's proof yet again that the AFC North is still THE best and toughest division in the league.
Shinesalight wrote:Oh, and the fact that people seem to be more interested in the half time entertainment than on the actual game...WTF??!! :? :shock:
Some people may be....most of the true fans of the sport are not fussed about the half time show. The audience that is watching across the country and worldwide is huge. So, yes, they go for the eye candy entertainment during the halftime. I could give a shit though about the half time show (even if it is Beyonce prancing around in lingerie and high heels). For me, it's the perfect time to take a piss, pour another beer and take the dog for a walk around the neighborhood.
Shinesalight wrote:Really not fussed about American Football; glorified rugby with too much body armour, too many breaks, too many players, too many rules, too much hype and it seems like a game lasts for 5 hours with only about an hour of actual playing time.
It's really not that complicated. It all centers around the line (in particular, the offensive line). These are the grunts of the game and most who don't understand the sport well enough have no clue how important the "O-Line" is. But, it's their work that makes or breaks a team. If you give the sport a chance and watch it with somebody who understands the game you will probably respect it more. I did that with Cricket. I went to Ealing Cricket Club with a buddy who talked me through the game. After that I had much more respect for it. I even toured Lord's once and quite enjoyed it.

Nevertheless, the season is now officially over and it's now seven months until the start of the 2013 season.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Super Bowl is THE most commercialized sporting event in the world. At least tonight it was exciting.
The Super Bowl has taken on a life of its own with the commercials at just under $4 Miilion per :30 second ad.
The halftime show is a spectacle. Not my thing but it seems everyone gets in the game for different reasons.
Trust me, I have been in the UK for 4 Super Bowls and trying to explain American Football to English folks is not easy. I gave up. Plus it starts way too late over there.
I am a much bigger Premiership fan than American Football which is blasphemy to a lot of my friends. I blame our local team the Detroit Lions for this. They have been one of the most mismanaged teams in pro sports for over 50 years. Plus the only fantasy sport I play is Premier League Football. We also get at least 5 live games every weekend here. Way more than those without Sky in the UK. Which is crazy.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I was at a book store and came across a couple books about the Browns and their fans. One written by a fan another by sports columnist for Cleveland's Plain Dealer. Both are full of personal stories and memories being told by Browns fans and one (written by the columnist) also has a lot of research behind it. Dissecting the losses to Elway (The Drive and The Fumble) and Red Right 88. But, it also has several brilliant chapters on Paul Brown, Otto Graham, Jim Brown, Brian Sipe, Bernie Kosar and Clay Matthews.

ANY fan of football should read the chapters on Paul Brown. In fact, it should be required reading for high school football players. To understand Paul Brown is to understand the game and just how influential that man was on the development of the sport. For example....the face mask, the play book, plays being sent in from the side line, radio transmitters in the QB's helmet, the west coast offense, the draw play...all of these were inventions of Paul Brown. The modern game, as we know it, started in Cleveland between 1946-1962. His players and his colleagues then took his ideas and branched out with their own teams. Chuck Knoll, Don Shula, Bill Walsh to name just a few. Also, between 1946-1955 the Browns were simply unstoppable. Seven championships in 10 years. And the other three years? They lost in the championship! Incredible.

We Browns fans may have had it tough since, oh...1970 or so (give or take a few years) but when I read these memoirs, essays and history it makes me even more proud to be a fan. My 12 year old son has already started reading one of them too. One day, I hope a statue of Paul Brown is erected outside Cleveland Browns stadium and maybe even a film made on him.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Some BIG names already being released into free agency. Next week or so will be interesting to see what type of moves are made.

Spacemanrich, I read rumors that the Niners are coveting the Browns greatest offensive weapon since their re-emergence into the league - kicker Phil Dawson. I have also read SF are speaking with Josh Cribbs. Another Brown who I hope we do not let go. Dawson is money and always reliable. Cribbs, hasn't been used well at all in past couple years so his numbers have been down. But, not since Bernie Kosar have we had a guy who WANTS to be a Cleveland Brown. He has said many times he hopes to retire a Brown. He also believes our future is bright and wants to be part of it.I really hope we keep both of them.

On another Browns note....looks like Costner will be playing the GM of the Browns in his upcoming movie, 'Draft Day'. Hmmmm...

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/0 ... draft-day/
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, I've never heard of Phil Dawson nor Josh Cribbs, but now I have heard of Cribbs. Read a little about him and he is a good punt returner/receiver, however he is butterfingers. He has a lot of fumbles in his resume. Heard that maybe the Browns might want Ryan Mallett ( Patriot qb reserve ), but I don't think Belichick wants to part w/ him, unless you can give up a couple of picks. Couple of good receivers on the market : Webster(steelers), Welker(patriots), etc. The Niners need another receiver since we let go Moss and Ted Ginn Jr., and Kyle Williams is coming off an acl tear and Jennings (illini) wasn't progressing as should. Qb's are weak in this draft, not one really stands out head and shoulders like last year i.e. - Andrew Luck and RGIII. Should be interesting .... anyone going to pick Teo' - he seems like a nutjob w/ an online/fake girlfriend. Never even heard of the phrase/word " catfishing " until then .... :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Yeah, I've never heard of Phil Dawson nor Josh Cribbs
Dawson is the man. Only Janikowski is in his league. I'd have him on my team any day. But, keep in mind it may sound like a joke when I said he was our main offensive weapon. But, I wasn't joking. A kicker should be extra bonus and no team should have to live or die by the kicker. The Browns inept offense and coaching relied on him far too often to score.

Man, I can't believe you haven't heard of either Dawson or Josh Cribbs! Cribbs too is a pro-bowler KR/PR man. In 2009 he set a record for returning two kicks for TD's against the Chiefs. My son and I were at that game too!

It's my understanding that Browns will release Colt McCoy as they do not view him as a starting QB. They want to bring an experienced QB in to give Brandon Weedon some competition for the job. I've heard Mallett and Matt Moore's name but also Matt Flynn has been thrown around in rumor mill. We'll see.

If we do release McCoy I wish him well. He did the best he could under the circumstances and was never given the support he needed to develop. I read if we release him GB may nab him as they need a legitimate back up for Rodgers.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The sleeping giant is getting restless! Cleveland are making a splash in free agency and I am LIKING it!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah Desmond Bryant will shore up the defense for the Dawgs. I would have liked Wallace or maybe Harvin as a wideout, but Boldin is okay too ! Couple of safety/corners on the market : Nsmougha (eagles), Huff (raiders). The 49'ers will likely lose Goldshon to the Buccaneers. Nsmougha played at Cal and for the Raiders for many yeas and would be a great addition in the secondary. Saw the stats for R.Mallett and he would be a questionable qb, has the size 6'6'', but can he play in the NFL ? Better bet would be Matt Flynn for the Browns, since your already questioning Weeden as your starter. No suprise that the Bills dropped Fitzpatrick. Played well his 1st year, but once he got that big contract he has declined tremendously. Still can't believe the Jets haven't released Mark Sanchez, he is just plain awful. Hey, it's there team and I don't mind since I don't like the Jets...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm enjoying the Ravens literally dropping like flies. Their signing of Flacco for ludicrous money has totally decimated their defensive stars. Not sure how they plan to return to playoffs, let alone, Super Bowl. Steelers too are losing some big names.

So, Browns signed another linebacker from Arizona today and a tight end from Carolina. This, I believe/predict, are moves towards taking this guy as our #6 pick (unless Philadelphia or Oakland take him before us):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1565 ... e-milliner
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Really looking forward to seeing what the Browns do with this draft beginning Thursday (April 25). I really hope we get it right. I also hope we don't trade down because with the #6 overall pick I want Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner to be holding a Cleveland jersey (also hoping he is still there when it's our turn).

I've scratched my head, shouted and cursed at the team at past drafts so I'm not holding my breath. BUT....I can dream.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Today is the NFL draft. In the first round, Cleveland have pick #6. A bit of trivia.....In 1957, with pick #6 Cleveland chose a running back from Syracuse University who went on to become arguably the greatest football player to ever play the game - Jim Brown.

Question....will they make a wise move today or will all Browns fans be cursing and scratching our heads, yet again? Please Cleveland draft one of these guys at 6th spot (in order of preference) - Dee Milliner, Chance Warmack, Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Welcome to Cleveland, Barkevious Mingo! VERY happy with that pick. An aggressive pass rusher. Cleveland's defense is going to be really tough this year. Questions surround our offense but defense is looking stacked.

We still need a CB, a FB and a free safety (priority). Hoping we get it right!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I mean, I'm not that clued up on NFL, but I do follow it and watch most Vikings games while I try and get a hang of it. Not easy for an englishman. It seems the opinion is that Vikings have made a big splash with their 3 first round picks? Floyd, Rhodes and Patterson.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

James T wrote:I mean, I'm not that clued up on NFL, but I do follow it and watch most Vikings games while I try and get a hang of it. Not easy for an englishman. It seems the opinion is that Vikings have made a big splash with their 3 first round picks? Floyd, Rhodes and Patterson.
Firstly, hats off to you for trying to keep track. Secondly, yes, the Viks did real well in the draft thus far. Sharrif Floyd is a big boy who will significantly beef up your defensive line. Viks needed somebody really bad up front and they got a good one with Floyd. Two picks later they then took Xavier Rhodes one of the top corners in this draft and then four picks later they took a great (but raw) receiver from Tennessee (Patterson). Patterson will need to work on some things but there is no question that he is a talented receiver. These picks were actually all in the FIRST round (#23, 25, 29)! They had no picks in rd 2 or 3 but do so in 4,5,6,7. They traded with Seattle and NE for the 25th, 29th pick. I think the Seattle trade went back to last year when they sent Sydney rice to Seattle. Nevertheless, Viks filled some big holes in three successive picks!

Browns picked up a cornerback with pick #68. Interestingly, one of the top corners was still there (Tyrann Mathieu) but he has issues both on and off the field and has been in a fair amount of trouble. Without the baggage he would have went in the first round. When we came to pick I started to question if we should take a gamble on him as we really needed a corner. We did indeed pick a cornerback but we went with another guy instead who I have since read up on and am VERY pleased we avoided the drama that Mathieu's brings. But, with the very next pick (69) Arizona took the bad boy, Mathieu's! :lol:

Hey, how did Minnesota become your team?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Basically, I got the band Low into Man City and kitted them out with shirts and the like. Now they keep track and we chat about the football results! It worked out to be a trade, as I took to their NFL team. Turns out Steve is actually a Packers fan, but Eric who plays drums with Retribution Gospel Choir is a big Vikings fan, as is Al.

I really hope I can make it to Wembley for the Vikings game but the tickets are so expensive now. I hope to make it over to the twin cities some day too and maybe see the new stadium, but who knows? I have a lot of plans for the US but never get it done.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Good on, ya! Keep in mind that teams fill holes where they feel there are significant weakness and need upgrade. But, they also look at the immediate teams in their own division to see how they can counter their play. Chicago, Detroit and GB will all take note of what Minnesota just did (and vice versa).

My one question about the Vikings is QB. Matt Cassel had a dismal season with KC and was cut when they brought in Alex Smith. Cassel now goes to Minnesota with questions regarding whether he will immediately become the starter or will he compete with Ponder for the job? At 7.5 million you would expect Cassel to be the starter. A few years ago Cassel looked like he might be a solid QB in the league. Maybe he still will. But, he has yet to really prove it (some of that may have been weak coaching in KC and a spongey o-line, which didn't protect him or give him time to find his man downfield).
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This is what frustrates the hell out of me....Cleveland need to address several issues and in both the 4th and the 5th round they trade their 4th pick away to Pittsburgh (a division rival!) and then in the 5th to Indianapolis! I know I'm not a talent scout, coach or general manager but.....why the fuck take future draft picks when we have immediate concerns now? This is the type of thing that totally stumps me and keeps me up at night!

Typical Browns!!

:evil: :evil:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

James T wrote:Basically, I got the band Low into Man City and kitted them out with shirts and the like. Now they keep track and we chat about the football results! It worked out to be a trade, as I took to their NFL team..
Sounds eerily like the Leeds/Detroit Red Wings & Tigers thing Runcible and I have going on. I actually took him to a Red Wings playoff game vs St Louis when Wayne Gretzky played for them. And he has taken me to many Leeds matches. I was wearing my Leeds jersey today in fact.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

spzretent wrote:I was wearing my Leeds jersey today in fact.
Didn't do your boys much luck against my team, Brighton, today :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm assuming Cleveland's willingness to trade their picks away for next year's draft suggests that they feel better talent will be available next year. After my initial upset and frustration I read a few reports that actually gave the Browns 'A' grades for trading their 4th and 5th round picks (and the teams who took them received 'C' grades for making the trades and the players they got). The problem is our patience as fans is so thin due to years of losing seasons that we need to see immediate results. I hope the plan works. :roll:

Think I said before, my English team is Brentford. Not EPL but we lived in Ealing for many years and Griffin Park was our local.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

That was such hard luck for Brentford yesterday, I really felt for them. I spent a lot of time in Ealing at one time and I got fond of them, then Uwe Rosler went there too! Hope they make the playoff final, I can see them beating Swindon but it will be tough to get past Shef U if they make it too. Anyway, back to NFL....
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I shouldn't let these things irritate me, but they do. I'm sick and tired of my team being the butt of jokes, ridicule and the expectation of failure year after year. A month before the season begins and they are already ranking Cleveland 28/32. Fuck that.

If our QB shows much improvement and plays smart, tactical ball I think we will surprise many. The pieces of the rest of the puzzle are coming together very well. People are just too blind to see that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 28053.html
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ok, so I know it is pre-season friendlies and these games mean nothing nor are they playing the first team squad for more than a half...BUT...Man, the Browns DO look good. I'm excited for the season!

Ok...I think that every year. But no, really! I am excited!!

Bring on Sept. 8th!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Here we go...college season kicked off last week and the NFL kicks off tomorrow (Thursday)!

Go Browns!! :D
les revenantes
Known user

Post by les revenantes »

Redcloud, thanks for Dawson. He'll be a tremendous asset during the upcoming season.
" Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead. " - Charles Bukowski
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

les revenantes wrote:Redcloud, thanks for Dawson. He'll be a tremendous asset during the upcoming season.
Dawson deserves whatever success comes his way with the Niners. The guy gave his blood, sweat, tears and total 100% dedication for 14 years to the Browns and with exception to two seasons 12 were shitty and several were rebuilding and an endless carousel of new coaches, front office, quarterback etc. He literally has seen it all yet, he remained true to the orange and brown and just like Paul Warfield, Dawson will forever be a Cleveland Brown.

I honestly wish him well and if he wins a Super Bowl with the Niners well, he deserves it (just as long as it isn't the Browns he is playing against!).