Football (American style)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

les revenantes
Known user

Re: Football (American style)

Post by les revenantes »

Seems like a classy player molded like T.Brady, J.Rice, J.Montana and B.Sanders. No complainin' about the team or throwing anyone under the bus. Gave it his all for the Browns and when an opportunity presented itself to play for the 49'ers he jumped at it. Don't know if Haslan is going to be able to keep the team, his trucking business is under investigation.
" Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead. " - Charles Bukowski
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

les revenantes wrote:Seems like a classy player molded like T.Brady, J.Rice, J.Montana and B.Sanders. No complainin' about the team or throwing anyone under the bus. Gave it his all for the Browns and when an opportunity presented itself to play for the 49'ers he jumped at it. Don't know if Haslan is going to be able to keep the team, his trucking business is under investigation.
Dawson is a class act. He would have stayed a Brown but the new ownership didn't show an interest. That's ok too. He gave us his service. Unlike Lebron, he left on good terms after showing true commitment to the city and the team.

All the Haslam crap...you know, I don't pay attention to that nonsense. For the first time in YEARS the Browns are moving in the right direction. The media don't care, however, and all the idiots who just watch "red zone" tv have no clue what they are talking about because they don't truly follow a team or watch its development. But, the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place. Trust me, we are slowly and very quietly building a major force that will turn the AFC North upside down. It probably wont be this year but within 2-3 years the Cleveland Browns will be deep in the playoffs and who knows...maybe beyond. For the first time in years I truly feel this to be the case and it isn't just my eternal optimism or blind faith.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

redcloud wrote: it isn't just my eternal optimism or blind faith.
Ok, maybe it is... :roll:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Not the greatest start there for the Vikes, saw the first half and it was very up and down. More or less just down for the latter half from what I gather.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I tend not to even read the sports threads but I must say how much better the virtual atmosphere is now that the racist fool Spacemanrich no longer posts his xenophobic, ignorant tosh.

Right? :wink:
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

James T wrote:Not the greatest start there for the Vikes, saw the first half and it was very up and down. More or less just down for the latter half from what I gather.
Well, at least Peterson had 3 TD's. This comes against a pretty awesome Detroit D-line too. The only positive I can glean from Cleveland's game opener was that Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Baltimore all lost too.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Bears won. Packers lost. It was a good Sunday for me. Seems like the Bears have a stronger offensive line, so maybe Cutler will have more room to breath this season.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:Bears won.
Thanks for beating Cincy for us. Seeing that we couldn't win our own game we need all the help we can get to slow down our division. Next week Cleveland play Baltimore and Pittsburgh play Cincy. At least two teams in our division will be 0-2. For fuck sake...I hope to hell it isn't the Browns!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

My god...why is it so damn difficult to score or win a game? Browns fans have it hard, man! Jesus!!

Yo, James T...we play your adopted boys next week. Both of us are 0-2 but one of our teams will get a "w" next week. Looking at our combined score of 16 pts in games 1 & 2 to the Vikings 54 it doesn't look like the odds are in our favor.

Have to stay positive (my mantra since 1995). :roll:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Missed the game yesterday but kept an eye on the score throughout, looks like it was quite a game!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Well, one positive (always look for the positives when you are a Browns fan)...I watched some of the San Fran vs Seattle game last night and even Cleveland managed to score more points than SF and our QB didn't turn the ball over as much. Amazing considering SF were in the Super Bowl and are predicted to return to it again this year. They looked dreadful.

So far, 1-0 to Seattle in that rivalry.
les revenantes
Known user

Post by les revenantes »

Redcloud :

OUCH ! https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status ... 48/photo/1

Report back to me in 14 weeks time.
" Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead. " - Charles Bukowski
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

les revenantes wrote:Redcloud :

OUCH ! https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status ... 48/photo/1

Report back to me in 14 weeks time.
All Browns fans are well aware of this QB carousel.

More worrying is that today we decided to trade our greatest offensive weapon, Trent Richardson, to the Colts for a first round pick. I, as well as most of the Browns nation are totally floored by this decision. Clearly, two weeks into the season and the front office are waving the white flag and looking ahead. Indianapolis may well have just elevated themselves as a serious threat to Denver.

I, quite honestly, am totally speechless and stunned by this move. I thought I had seen it all as a Browns fans...Paul Warfield trade to Miami (I was young but my Dad talked about it all the time. It is also eerily similar to today's trade), Cardiac Kids, Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Move and 14 years of shit since we returned and now this. Maybe it will work out. Maybe our 3rd string QB (Hoyer) who starts against the Vikings will look like Kaepernick and stun us all. But, I can't help but shake my head and wonder what's happening upstairs in the FO when decisions like these are being made. T'Rich's production wasn't brilliant but he was our Earl Campbell and is capable of being explosive.

And to think I actually had high hopes for this season. Now I feel like I have been hit squarely in the stomach and am breathless. Tonight, my Browns spirit is broken...a sad feeling similar to the time when it was announced the Browns were moving to Baltimore.
les revenantes
Known user

Post by les revenantes »

I think it is a good move. Your stockpiling 1st round picks for next year. You need a quarterback and it seems like the front office thinks that Weeden is NOT the guy nor Hoyer ( who by the way is a N.Ohio native ).

Who's coming out next year ? Don't know, but at least you got options. I think Richardson will do well in Indy, an indoor stadium much like Peterson up in Minnesota. When was there recently a 1,000 yard rusher playing in a cold weather city (outdoor-wise) ? i.e. - Green Bay, Chicago, Buffalo, Cleveland etc. ?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

les revenantes wrote:I think it is a good move. Your stockpiling 1st round picks for next year.
Easy for you to say les revanantes...you are not invested.

As I let my emotions settle and I reflect on this I have come to the conclusion that ultimately what I see wrong is that NO TEAM should be talking about the off season in week two! How the hell can we expect the rest of the team to go out and give it their all and risk injury when the front office have essentially waved the white flag two weeks into the season? I could probably understand this move more if it was week 12 and we had 10 losses...but week 3? Holy shit, imagine that locker room? One of our stars traded away like that. Our 1st string QB knows his future is gone too because this trade essentially seals his fate. Our 2nd string QB was demoted so he's probably looking for a way out. Sure, Hoyer is a home town boy who grew up a Browns fan...we will root for him to succeed. Kosar was too and it made it more special when he was leading us but I imagine that the team's energy for the next 14 weeks is going to be stressed, emotional and quite possibly, totally apathetic. Now, our most watched game of the season becomes our match against Jacksonville to see who gets the first pick for Teddy Bridgewater.

I think it is very sad for the city of Cleveland, for the players and for the fans. Yet, just another sad tale to add to the many for Cleveland sports fans. If I had season tickets I would absolutely demand a full refund.

But, you're not a Browns fan so you wouldn't understand the pain, sadness, frustration, humiliation and total bewilderment that we have endured since...oh, 1965.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

These are a few years old now but still resonate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBDMMVctu8 - Note: the jersey he is wearing was our long snapper! Who buys the jersey of the long snapper? Answer - Cleveland Browns fans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGfLFmlU8zo - Note: Makes perfect sense to me!

Maybe this latest move w/Richardson will play out like a stroke of genius. Right now it just feels like another slap in the face to the fans.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

James T., after this week's unforeseen and shocking trade/move by the Browns it would have to be a miracle for Cleveland to beat Minnesota today. The front seven of our defense is very good but it remains to be seen how our 3rd string QB will play when the pressure is on. I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Well, I do believe I saw a pig with wings today! Have to say it feels good to get a win. Been a while since we got one and man, did we need it today!

A good day for Cleveland sports - both the Browns and Indians won on the same day! Not sure when that last happened. :D
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Christ almighty, a poor start from the Vikes this season
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

James T wrote:Christ almighty, a poor start from the Vikes this season
The Browns threw in a couple trick plays, which caught Minnesota off guard. But, the team desperately needed the win and you have to do whatever you can to win games. Regarding the Viks, we also turned the ball over 4 times and Minn were only able to get 10 points off them. Browns defense did a decent job considering they were on the field a lot and probably tired. To score 24 points in the first half was also pretty amazing (even more so considering it was a 3rd stringer leading the team!).

I can't emphasize just how important this win was coming off such a tumultuous week for the team and their fans. We still have a lot to improve on if we are going to beat Cincinnati next week. But, for now...I am enjoying the win.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:After 3 weeks look who has the same record.
Cleveland Browns
San Francisco 49ers.
Not one to make predictions especially after week 3 but this is pretty ironic.
:shock:
I KNOW! I was thinking the exact same thing. And, to make matters even more interesting...Cleveland are also ahead of winless Pittsburgh! Just one day, one week in the life of Browns fans. We need to savor and enjoy these moments while we can! :D

Regarding San Fran - it is very early days but at the moment it seems defenses have figured out how to stop Kaepernick. Add to SF/Harbaugh/Kap's frustrations - Alex Smith and Kansas City are 3-0!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Today - Sept. 29, 2013...

Browns = :D
Indians = :D

One day/one game/one week at a time. Right now, it is magical!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Redcloud :

They say that 'winning solves everything' - seems to be the case. I've read how you lambasted the front office : gm/owner, maybe perhaps they made the right decision. Hoyer could be the quarterback, I thought he was a good backup in Philly and didn't get a fair shake in Arizona. Now, he's back home with his hometown team. You may not need a qb next season if he plays well and progress, he might be a Matt Cassel type situation. Now you have a lot of draft picks for next season and might go for a wide receiver, solidify the o-line or tight end. Selecting a quarterback is dicey and risky at best, look at Matt Leinert, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Colt McCoy, Brady Quinn, etc. all of these were selected in the 1st round and didn't meet expectations. Football like any other sport is a game of streaks : winning/losing. Who knows how the Browns will do this year ? Were only 1/4 done with the season and it's a long one, anything can happen, including the Broncos faltering. I don't see that happening unless Peyton Manning gets hurt and is done for the season or they lose wide receivers, etc. Green Bay is still there too. Seahawks don't play well on the road and Texas gave them one last nite. Trent Richardson only averaged ' 3 yds ' for Indy yesterday, I don't know if he will be good or not ? If the Browns start winning then the trade might be a good one and you'll end up calling the front office 'geniuses'. Tanking for last place ranking was a little absurd, in my opinion. Mgmt wants to succeed and that sometimes takes a risk or gamble and in this case, it may be well worth the trade.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spacemanrich wrote: Mgmt wants to succeed and that sometimes takes a risk or gamble and in this case, it may be well worth the trade.
Must be why they got Sonic Boom to work on their last album I guess.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Redcloud :

They say that 'winning solves everything' - seems to be the case. I've read how you lambasted the front office : gm/owner, maybe perhaps they made the right decision.

Yes, winning is a feeling that Cleveland fans do not feel very often. To have two wins in a row AND our baseball team make it into the playoffs makes everything feel rosy. Remember though...Browns fans are entitled to criticize, question, lambast our team. We have supported them through thick and thin and desperately want to right this ship. We want to see quality football return to a city that was once proud of its team and, hopefully, a Super Bowl championship. No other fan understands Cleveland's plight nor can they make comments that are critical when they do not have any loyalty, don't care, have no emotion or opinion towards the team nor understand where we have been, where we have come and possibly where we are going.
Hoyer could be the quarterback, I thought he was a good backup in Philly and didn't get a fair shake in Arizona. Now, he's back home with his hometown team. You may not need a qb next season if he plays well and progress, he might be a Matt Cassel type situation. Now you have a lot of draft picks for next season and might go for a wide receiver, solidify the o-line or tight end.

I don't believe Hoyer was in Philly...he was Brady's back up in New England, right? But, you might be correct that he could be our QB. Something about him reminds me of Brian Sipe. AND, every Cleveland fan is rooting for him and our coach to be successful. Just like Kosar, it was Hoyer's dream to play for the Browns as it was Chudzinski's dream to one day coach the Browns.

Defensively, our team are intense and fun to watch. Our #1 pick, Barkevious Mingo, is like a panther...lean, muscular and pouncing to kill! The front seven are fast, aggressive and cause serious concern for any opposing team. Offensively, getting Josh Gordon back has helped Hoyer. And, Hoyer has made some good plays! He looked remarkably better yesterday than he did a week ago. He also looks considerably more poised than Weeden, can move when out of the pocket and doesn't hold on to the ball for an eternity. All of these are pluses. But, you can understand some hesitation when he got the nod to start when he has only started once or twice before and was bumped around from one team to another. All it takes though is that one chance to prove what you can do. If he continues to do well maybe we wont go for a QB. Who knows. I really hope the kid succeeds.
Trent Richardson only averaged ' 3 yds ' for Indy yesterday, I don't know if he will be good or not ?

Changing my tune (that's ok, isn't it?)...Trent only averaged 3 yards with the Browns. If he were to have a breakout game you would have thought yesterday against Jacksonville would have been it? I know he is still getting to know the offense but, MAYBE he hasn't been able to make the move up to the NFL? He has the capability of being EXPLOSIVE but nobody has really seen it, yet.
If the Browns start winning then the trade might be a good one and you'll end up calling the front office 'geniuses'.

Yep, I will. I will happily stand up and shout that I was wrong and proclaim the front office as genius'.

But, you know what? I am simply a fan who loves my team and wants them to be good...again. I am not a GM nor a President of a team so I don't know what goes on in those meetings. To trade a key player away after week 2 caught EVERYBODY by surprise. If, however, it works out for the benefit of all, absolutely - total stroke of genius and I will feel good about the future of my team. I am MORE than willing and happy to publicly eat that humble pie.
Tanking for last place ranking was a little absurd, in my opinion. Mgmt wants to succeed and that sometimes takes a risk or gamble and in this case, it may be well worth the trade.

I don't remember using the word "tanking". I know that it was thrown around by many when the trade originally happened. But, I do not believe I said that. The thought may have crossed my mind, however, but inside I hoped we wouldn't. I did say it appears as if they "waved the white flag" though, which is a fair thing to say when a shocking trade of a key player happens.

At the end of the day there is also pride to play for and I can't see how or why a team of men would want to lose when their pride is on the line and tens of thousands of fans come out to show their undying support week in/week out. Not to mention the support from outside Cleveland. I believe the Browns have the largest fan base of any American sport...at our local pub here in Portland we get anywhere from 50 - 150 on any given Sunday. Not bad for a team who have only had two winning seasons in the 14 years since they returned to from their brief "hiatus".
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Green Bay is where? 1-2. They host Detroit this week which now is a much bigger game for them than Detroit. I dont expect the Lions to win but it would be nice since they have not won in GB since 1991.
I think the Browns front office realized Trent Richardson wasn't the answer. The NFL is littered with 1st round busts. Look no further than Charles Rogers and Mike Williams in Detroit. Who knows? Maybe Trent Richardson is a malcontent. Just a theory. Their front office had the balls to cut bait and take the draft picks. I commend them for that.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

And the Browns are now sitting alone at the top of the AFC North. Who would have thought? :D

A bittersweet win last night, however. Hoyer went down early after a rough hit and it is looking like he may have ligament damage in his knee. Weeden came back in and threw a couple good balls but the offense still look totally different when he is at QB. On top of it, Buffalo also lost their QB and their top receiver, which threw us a lifeline. But, our defense looks great! They will help us win a few more games but Weeden is going to have to learn how to move the offense better if we are to win the division (which I believe we can!).

Ten days until we play Detroit. We need the rest and Weeden needs the practice. Fingers crossed that Hoyer's MRI comes back negative.

I'll enjoy this moment while I can. Especially loving that Pittsburgh are 0-4! Hahahahahahaha. :lol:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Shocking news about APs 2 year old son being beaten to death: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24502320
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

James T wrote:Shocking news about APs 2 year old son being beaten to death: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24502320
Yes, this is terrible. Of course, AP has nothing to do with it. But, it is horrific and a sad story of yet another loser who has to take their anger out on a defenseless child.

On a trivial level, the Vikings themselves are in a real state of flux at the moment. Ponder has been stripped of the starting QB position, Matt Cassel will start this week but they brought Josh Freeman in from Tampa Bay who will eventually be their starter. Freeman had a great season a couple years ago and most predicted he would be a rising star but he tanked last year and this year he has been butting heads with his coach and his team. Tampa eventually released him. Probably good for all involved and maybe it will be a fresh start for him. The Vikings definitely need a QB. AP can't be the only offense as it means they are far too one-dimensional.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

No blaming Ponder today!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

James T wrote:No blaming Ponder today!
Nope. Cassel is NOT the answer.

But, neither is Brandon Weeden! :x
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Tiger's pitching is lights out, kept the bosox hitless pretty much for the two games, until bigpapi. Great series!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:we're even. in case you watched the baseball game. fuck me that was painful.
I know.

I knew you were probably pretty fucking bummed/pissed last night. I was turning between Portland vs Seattle (MLS), Tigers v Sox and the 'Skins v Cowboys. Somehow in my channel surfing between games I missed the winning hit but I watched a replay. I have to say, I know it wasn't quite the same circumstances BUT yesterday's Browns loss was equally painful for us fans. Mainly because the potential to win four in a row came to a crashing halt. Also, it confirmed that Brandon Weeden isn't the guy and if he is...well, he has a LONG way to go to silence his critics (my god, that second interception is painful to watch). We had taken three huge steps forward and then yesterday we crashed heavily back to earth. The only saving grace is Baltimore also lost, Cincy are only one game ahead of us and Pittsburgh are still at the bottom.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Wow...what a crazy football season. For the first time I really do not see a really dominant team. Quite honestly, any given weekend several teams could rise up and position themselves as leaders or very serious dark horse contenders.

Lets look at where we are after 9 games into the 16 game season:

AFC East:
New England look like they may win this division but, the Jets have a defense and Geno seems to be settling down so watch for a battle between Boston and NY. Dolphins seem to be falling into locker room dysfunction but, they too are capable of knocking a team out as are Buffalo. Once Manuel and Thad Lewis come back for the Bills they could spoil somebody's party.

AFC North:
Bengals sit at the top but who would have thought after three starting QB's this season alone that the Browns would be in 2nd place? I can't help but wonder what our record would be if we never started Weeden. Browns defense is NASTY and our young team is positioning themselves to be serious contenders very soon. We just need a couple more pieces - especially a QB. I'm not expecting playoffs this season but, if Campbell doesn't get hurt we might be a real dark horse. Baltimore and Pittsburgh...what can you say? Hahahahahaha! Flacco being paid all that money and Jason Campbell schooled him last week! Unless the Steelers do something major I have a feeling the table has turned and now they will be bottom feeders while the Browns rise!

AFC South: Indianapolis are benefitting from a particulalry weak division. Titans are ok but probably nothing to become overly concerned about. Jacksonville are just sad. I think a division II college team could beat them. Houston? Wow, who would have thought their drop would be so painful.

AFC West:
Denver looked great -a serious offensive machine but then their defense concedes a ton of points. PAC 12 football at its best! Score, score, score and then hope your opponent doesn't score more. Not sure if that will win a championship. Maybe. They have the QB to do it. But, I tend to think offense sells tickets while defense wins championships. Kansas City have a tight defensive unit...but, there are weaknesses on that team too. The Browns damn near beat them and had we not fumbled a mid-field punt we may very well have beaten them. Also, have KC played any above .500 team, yet? San Diego are a bit like Tennessee....ok, potential to upset somebody but not sure how deep they are. Oakland? They will finish bottom of the division.

NFC East: What a lame division this has become. I love that Chip's Eagles don't seem to be "revolutionizing" football anymore. Ok, sure, they scored a ton of points last week...but, they beat up the Raiders. Enough said. Giants? Wow, what a shocking fall from grace for Eli. Redskins have potential to be game changers but, not sure how much talent is on both sides of the ball. Dallas? I have never been sold on Romo. Not sure he is "the guy". But, a weak division means this year might be their best chance.

NFC North: With Aaron Rodgers now out and the rest of the Packers barely hanging in, a very weak Vikings team with only one playmaker means that either Detroit or Chicago should win this division. A serious slug fest this Sunday between Lions and Bears! Game of the week? Possibly. All of a sudden this one is hugely important for both teams.

NFC South: Falcons? What happened? Another fall from grace. Saints are the class of the division but Carolina seem to be priming themselves to battle for it. Tampa Bay? What a mess.

NFC West: Seattle might still look like they have what it takes but they too have weaknesses as do the 49ers. Rams and Cardinals? I wonder if St. Louis will trade Bradford for draft picks? Not sure they believe in him anymore. I think he has "it" but he hasn't been given many tools. Cardinals are just another 'meh .500 team team. They will win a couple and lose a few. But, who knows...maybe they will become the spoilers in this division?

What do you guys think?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Uh...the Niners are coming off a bye week w/ a record of 6-2 after starting out 1-2 and reeling off FIVE straight wins. We get Aldon Smith and Morningham back and Crabtree will follow shortly. seahawks are still winning, but they look terrible.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Uh...the Niners are coming off a bye week w/ a record of 6-2 after starting out 1-2 and reeling off FIVE straight wins. We get Aldon Smith and Morningham back and Crabtree will follow shortly. seahawks are still winning, but they look terrible.
Agreed. They have come on much stronger. BUT, I'm going to play devil's advocate here....SF's only quality win was in week 1 against Green Bay. The other five wins are against teams that are all below .500. In fact, for a team that went to the Super Bowl their schedule is pretty light. Hmmmm... :roll:

Same can be said about Seattle's record though. Too many cupcakes. Although, they did beat SF up pretty good earlier in the season. Lets see where the Niners are when they play New Orleans and then again when they face Seattle again. Those two games should reveal a lot.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Quack quack Quack - put a fork in it, the Ducks are done. Once again, Stanford for the second year in a row clipped the wings of the ducks. The score was not indicative of how they manhandled them. Stanford had possession of the ball for over 42 minutes - 3/4 of the game ! Again, we knocked them out of the BCS title game and put a lid on De'Anthony Thomas who stated, " we'll put 40 pts. on Stanford - i'll guarantee it ". Yeah, right. It's like Stanford would put 40pts. before you even get a field goal. Grind it and run it down the middle - the Oregon defense didn't know how to stop the S train. Shaw is one of the best college coaches in the country.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Quack quack Quack - put a fork in it, the Ducks are done. Once again, Stanford for the second year in a row clipped the wings of the ducks. The score was not indicative of how they manhandled them. Stanford had possession of the ball for over 42 minutes - 3/4 of the game !
Dude, I've been asking Duck fans all season when are they going to play somebody decent? They look SO GOOD when playing inferior teams. Once they play any team with comparable talent and coaching they struggle. Stanford controlled the line of scrimmage and were efficient on both sides of the ball. They also put huge pressure on Mariota. Oregon's defense, however, is sloppy at best and last night was one of the worst performances I have seen by them. But, that is PAC 12 football. Offensive machines...but, defense? Not so much.

I live here but have no ties to either University. I actually enjoy watching the Oregon State much more as they are competitive in most games and fun to watch. You never know what may or may not happen. We have tickets to the 11/23 Beavers v Huskies game, which I am looking forward to. Also, Oregon State fans are nowhere near as obnoxious as Duck fans. Saying that, of course I would like to have seen Oregon in a Championship game. But, probably best Oregon lost now rather than be humiliated in a BCS bowl like Notre Dame were last year.

I also still rate Mariota as one of the best QB's potentially to enter the draft. In fact, given the choice between Bridgewater, Mariota and Manziel for the Browns I would lean towards Mariota. He reminds me of Russell Wilson and I believe he has the work ethic to succeed. Bridgewater would be my #2. I don't think the Browns will have a shot at any of these guys though. Looking like our two 1st round picks will be middle/lower in the draft. I'm fine with that. Maybe Hoyer is our guy? Maybe Campbell? Hoyer, we don't know enough about...Campbell has looked tremendous in the two games he has started. A roller coaster season for sure for Cleveland fans. Our next game is against Cincy....an important game with potentially HUGE significance for both teams. Something about this season reminds me of the Kardiak Kids....(yep, I'm showing my age). :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Spaceman...from what I see the Niners resemble Oregon. Great against a team that are not that good but still yet to prove they can beat a decent team. On paper they have the talent and should be better than this. Kaepernick has a lot of quality talent to feed the ball to but today their only offensive weapon was kicker - Phil Dawson (not to dissimilar to his days in Cleveland).

Have defenses figured out how to slow Kaepernick down and has Kap failed to adjust his game?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

This is Morningham's first game back, as well as for Aldon Smith. Crabtree will follow in the next week or so.
No excuse, should have won the game, but the Panthers are good, very physical. I don't know if Kap can run, it's more like the O-line needs to protect him better and I think he got sacked 5-6 times and just was frustrated, much like Mettenberg if you saw him against Alabama on Saturday nite. Mettenberg just got hammered and frustrated where he was injured on the last play and had to crawl and limp off the field.

We'll see ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Amazing to think that after starting three different QB's this season alone, making a shocking blockbuster trade of a former #3 1st round pick - the Browns and their fans are contemplating the very real potential of playoffs. Again, proof to me that we are one or two key players away from being serious contenders. Last time Browns talked about playoffs, or even the potential of games beyond week 16, was back in 2007. Seems ages ago.

This Sunday's game against Cincinnati is probably the most important game Cleveland have played since 2007...some Browns fans are taking it a step further and saying 2002. Nevertheless, we control our own destiny. Hopefully we play our game - if we do...we win. If, we let Cincy control the game - we lose. Worse, if Jason Campbell gets injured our season really is done.

Fragile but exciting times for the Browns. Win or lose...I still love them.

GO BROWNS!!!!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Well, the 1st quarter started off really well for the Browns.

But then came the 2nd quarter..... :roll:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Darn, S.F. should have won that game. Thanks Osgood.

Well, do you still think the TR trade was good. Here is an article where Coach Pagano doesn't know what's wrong w/ Trent Richardson

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... s-going-on

The Browns got a slew of 1st and 2nd round picks for him. The Colts got a lemon. Yes, a lemon.

And you thought Mgmt. was tanking the season. Probably the coaching staff and management figured out that he wasn't going to be good and to trade him once they got the chance. Shrewd move.

Going to be a good game tonite, but I'll take the Broncos. The Chiefs are good, but not that good. They've been coasting on a soft schedule so far ...... until tonite. Panthers over the Patriots on Monday nite. Panthers have the 2nd best defense in the NFL.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Pretty exciting end to the Bears/Ravens game. Really glad they won. McCown is looking great. I don't think they stand much of a chance in the postseason, but it'd be nice if they made it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:Pretty exciting end to the Bears/Ravens game. Really glad they won. McCown is looking great. I don't think they stand much of a chance in the postseason, but it'd be nice if they made it.
I am really glad Chicago beat Baltimore. That helps Cleveland. Now, if only the Lions had beaten the Steelers! It makes next weeks game between Cleveland and Pittsburgh an absolute must win for the Browns. In fact, as we lost today we now really have to win at least 5/6 if not 6/6 to go to playoffs. I'm not expecting playoffs but, it sure is fun to be "in the hunt". With the Jets losing that helps all us 4-6 teams. Most Browns fans circle both Steelers and Ravens games as essential games in the calendar but, this year is the first in a while where we could potentially sweep Pittsburgh. Saying that, they have been playing better recently and we have a lot to correct after today's horrific 2nd quarter. Seems we rarely play well coming off a bye. All momentum just goes out the window.

Spacemanrich, regarding Trent Richardson...you know, it is very, very odd. The kid really looks to have the potential to be explosive but it just isn't happening. It's my understanding that Indy's O-line isn't as good as ours. So, that could be some of it but, he tends to dance around too much in the back field looking for openings rather than creating his own or powering through with his brute strength. If he pulls it together he could still be great. Not sure if I am ready to call him a lemon, just yet. But, yes...it is looking like our front office made a genius move. I can't recall the last time the word "genius" and Cleveland's front office have been used together in a sentence.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ho hum...another season down the shitter. What's new 'eh? Getting old watching the same old same old. Cynicism begins to set in around this time every year. :evil:

Browns seriously need a QB, and at least one, maybe two o-linemen, on either side of the ball plus a quality RB who we could get through FA. We still play Jax, NE, Chicago, NY Jets and Pitt to finish the season. Our QB play has been so up and down that I really do not know what games are winnable, if any. Logic has Jax as one that we should win...but, the Browns defy logic most Sundays. So, who knows where we will finish.

We do have 10 picks in the draft - 2 in the first, 7 in the 1-3rd rounds. It will be interesting to see what they do. Maybe trade a few to move up and get the QB we want?

April seems a long way off. :roll:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

What a good SNF matchup. One would think you turn off the t.v. after the 1st half : 6 turnovers and the score 24-0.

I'm tellin' you, Tom Brady is tough. How do you bounce back mentally with the score like that ? Not too many quarterbacks can do that, maybe Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers ? Patriots are tough considering who they lost :
A.Hernandez (jail)
W.Welker (trade)
D. Woodhead (trade)
Wilfork (injury)
Mayo (injury)
Gronk (just coming back from injury)

Panthers win again ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:I'm tellin' you, Tom Brady is tough. How do you bounce back mentally with the score like that ?
Yep. That was a good come back. I didn't watch much of it - only OT. But, to the Pats credit they did what they needed to do for a win. Have to say, too many NFL teams play with PAC-12 style defense (eg. non existent). High octane offense is the direction the league has gone because it is viewed sexy and exciting. Gone are the days of trench warfare defense or 9-7 grind out games. Everything has to be basketball style scoring contests. Also tired of seeing Brady wining to the refs for a pass interference call. Both weeks the passes were not catcheable thus, refs made right call.

Panthers are definitely rolling...Cardinals too are moving up (as a Niners fan you best not take your eyes off them, spaceman!). But, I'm not sure how good Arizona are or if yesterday's game was more a reflection of how stagnant the Colts have become? They are in your division spaceman, what do you think of them: legit or....??
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The 117th Oregon Civil War - what a game! I was rooting for Oregon State and they damn well could have won it. Taking the lead with less than two minutes left was prime. But, they scored too soon and needed to take more time off the clock before handing the ball back to Oregon. With 1'30 left in the game and the Ducks in possession I had a bad feeling Oregon State would lose it. The Ducks have proved time and time again that they only need a minute to drive the length of the field.

Great game though. I wish the Oregon State v Washington game I went to last week was this good (I also wish I could get my money back from attending that game)!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Watching Iron Bowl atm
Been brilliant. 5mins left looking like Alabama have just pulled it out w that awesome pass & td from their 1yrd line. Ahh auburn so close he should've had it..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

It's all going wrong for Alabama. That guy cannot kick for shit. 2mins will prob take like 20mins to actually play..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

TD auburn sweet Alabama crumbled, crapped themselves
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Oh ffs such debate about 1 fucking second.. I guess if they make this fg people think it justifies or excuses such pedantic timekeeping.. There wouldn't be any need if that guy hadnt taken such terrible kicks earlier.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Couldn't handle the pressure. That's what's called shitting the bed.
Great game!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

That was fucking ridiculous.

Ha the guy near ran himself out of bounds on the fg return. That really was great fun.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

OMG - you mean Ohio might play for the National Championship ?! :cry:

Bad call by Brad Hoke, I would rather tie the score than go for the risky 2 pt. conversion.

Redcloud: tough game last nite, forgot to tell you that Sean Mannion is from the Bay Area. He'll make a better pro style NFL quarterback than Mariota ( no doublt ).
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spzretent wrote:50+ years of watching American Football and I have never seen that happen.
Amazing!
:D
The sewing machine?!

That 4th quarter was insane. Wtf the sewing machine was a great cameo just added to the madness!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Can't stay up to watch Texas/Missouri

But I can't sleep after that ha!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Yep. Sewing machine too.
Ohio State may play for the National Championship.
First they have to beat MSU. That should be a great game next saturday.
Michigan did MSU a huge favor today exposing how to beat Ohio State.
I dont blame Brady Hoke for that call. That was going to be their only chance to beat Ohio State. A gamble that did not pay off. He would be a hero if it did. 2nd string kicker couldn't kick a field goal all day. They were not going to win in OT.
This is why I love college football.
Now on to USC vs UCLA.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

We were up in Washington state all day today...just got home so didn't see the Alabama game. Sounds like a wild one. Ohio State v Florida State in the BCS?
spacemanrich wrote: Redcloud: tough game last nite, forgot to tell you that Sean Mannion is from the Bay Area. He'll make a better pro style NFL quarterback than Mariota ( no doublt ).
Not sure about Mannion making it in NFL. Maybe. The game we saw last week vs Washington he was horrific (as was his game previous against USC)! But, the game last night against Oregon was EXCELLENT. Riveting from start to finish, lead changes right and left well into the 4th quarter and the game was only won in the final minute. What more could you ask for? Well, maybe the Beavers winning. But, oh well - you can't have everything.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

You learn something new everyday. I didn't know that you could return a field goal attempt ?

I think MSU has a good chance of beating that Ohio team next week. Not suprised about the ripped Nike uniform, their made out of shoddy materials : all flash and no substance.

Looks like the trade btwn the Colts and Browns are looking good every week. Trent Richardson has been benched for today's game.

Genius + Front Office = Cleveland Browns
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:You learn something new everyday. I didn't know that you could return a field goal attempt ?
It didn't travel the distance nor did it hit the upright thus, making it a live ball. No different than an intercepted pass. I watched the play and it was incredible. What an amazing way to finish.
spacemanrich wrote:
Genius + Front Office = Cleveland Browns
Shame we are still dealing with subpar quarterback play. When you look at the calendar and sees Jacksonville one normally chalks it up as a "w" (and vice versa when you see Cleveland on your schedule!). Browns turned the ball over 3 times in less than 3 minutes going into the half giving up 13 points. We then botched a snap in the 3rd, which went for a safety. 15 of Jacksonville's 32 pts were gimmes by our offense (and 13 by fucking Weeden who may I remind you was chosen in the 1st round!). You can't make this shit up. Un-fucking-believable. But, I've seen it time and time again.

NE, Chicago, NYJ, Pitt remain....we will be lucky to win 1 more game and finish yet again a riveting 4-12 or 5-11. Christ sake! :evil: :twisted:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

It's hard to pick a quarterback that's for sure. Look at G.Smith, T.Pryor, C.McCoy, M.Leinart, M.Sanchez, D.Carr, B.Weeden, C.Ponder, EJ Manuel, R.Tannenhill, etc. who just suck. How come someone overlooked Nick Foles ? 19 td's and 0 interceptions and he has won all of his games so far. Don't pick another qb in the 1st round, pick it in the 2nd round. The new qb's I like are C.Newton, M.Ryan, A.Luck and I'm not too sure about CK7 ? 8-4 a respectable record for the Niners, but we should have won against Carolina and New Orleans. Carolina, by the way has won 8 straight.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The one positive in today's Browns game is our WR, Josh Gordon. He set an NFL record. Back to back 200+ yrds (over 500 in two games). If he can do that with shitty QB's imagine what this guy will do if we get a franchise QB?! He is a stud among studs and we almost traded him!

Regarding Colt McCoy - he was taken in the 3rd round (?) and to be honest, had we given him a chance and surrounded him with players he would have been better. We gave up on him, he started with a new coach who was pathetic, no OC, a lock-out season without playbook or training camp, a shitty O-line and no receivers. He was destined to fail and it was no fault of his. He deserves better.

In the pocket McCoy is also much better than Weeden. Weeden still makes shit plays. He stares down receivers, he throws bullets to players who are 5 yrds away, he flips vulnerable pick-6 passes to avoid the sack and he moves like a sloth in the pocket. With exception to his big arm down field I see no improvement. Apparently he is now concussed and no Browns fan remembers him getting hit today. WTF? Maybe somebody in the locker room punched him in the head!

Regarding draft picks...Wasn't Russell Wilson a late pick too? Can't remember. I am interested in this Derek Carr kid from Fresno. I have read a lot about him and on paper he looks good. I will circle Fresno State's bowl game in my calendar so I can watch him play. Spaceman, you are down nearer Fresno to me....how does he look?

PS: KC v Denver pt. 2 was a good one!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yes, Russell Wilson was a late pick (2nd or 3rd). They say Derek Carr could be a 1st round pick ( he's the younger brother of David Carr ). I think David Carr and Harrington (Oregon) came out in the same draft year and both are out of the league ? Last time I saw Harrington he was a host w/ Eddie George on Fox Sports. Since then, I haven't seen Harrington on the air, he wasn't very good to begin with, he's probably selling insurance in Oregon ? Looks like the Browns signed Caleb Haine - whoever he is and that Campbell is starting this weekend.

I think the Niners can clip the Seahawks this weekend. Their 8-4 record is not indicative of their performance - we now got Crabtree and Morningham back ! We lost to the Panthers by (1) lousy point and we should have beaten the Ain'ts if it wasn't for that controversial penalty on Ahmad Brooks. So, really it should be an 10-2 record :roll: However, CK7 still doesn't really look comfortable, he's getting sacked a lot and they don't run the option as much now.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:They say Derek Carr could be a 1st round pick ( he's the younger brother of David Carr ). I think David Carr and Harrington (Oregon) came out in the same draft year and both are out of the league ?
Well, I wont tarnish Derek with the same brush as his brother. Who knows, right? I'm curious to see what the kid has got so will tune into their bowl game. With Mariotta staying w/Oregon, Mettenberger's injury and Boyd/Clemson's losses those QB's stock has now dropped. It means fewer quality QB's entering the draft. Also, look at Romo or Flacco. Both from small schools yet, they are "franchise" QB's for their teams.
spacemanrich wrote: Looks like the Browns signed Caleb Haine - whoever he is and that Campbell is starting this weekend.
No need to remind or update. I am very well aware of the Browns issues and our QB carousel, thank you very much. :evil:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Doing SEC championship right now. Wtf?!
Thought Missouri was meant to have a good defence?? Auburn have rushed 500yarfs ffs! & the 4th has only started.
Not that Auburn can defend either..

Dunno what to make of it. Hopefully get a grandstand finish again tho..
gonna burn brightly
for a while