Football (American style)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Football (American style)

Post by spzretent »

Thank you Moon Duo for the soundtrack that brought the Michigan State Spartans their first Rose Bowl in 26 years. Tide turned when Circles came on CD player in 2nd half.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Great game by your Sparty's, spzretent. They did what they had to do and Urban Meyer had no answer. Stanford v MSU will be a good Rose Bowl.
jack white wrote:Doing SEC championship right now. Wtf?!
Thought Missouri was meant to have a good defence?? Auburn have rushed 500yarfs ffs! & the 4th has only started. Not that Auburn can defend either..
The sport has changed to a more offensive game. Even the SEC - known for tough defense - has moved towards high octane offense.

I'm assuming it will be confirmed that Auburn will play Florida St. for the Championship game? That will be a true test for the Seminoles. Not sure who they have played that is as talent stocked as Auburn. Could be a shoot out or it could be another embarrassment (like last year's Championship game). FSU's QB is good though.

Oregon v Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Niners look shaky. RWilson progressing, CK7 regressing, he looks frightened. Thanks for Dawson.

Brady is Brady - what a comeback. My god, I think Gronk tore his acl on that hit.

Another good SNF game btwn panthers and aunts later on.

Glad Ohio lost, go eat your pizza Urban. Auburn is over rated if your going to give up that many pts.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: Brady is Brady - what a comeback. My god, I think Gronk tore his acl on that hit.
A disrespected team with nothing to lose can be dangerous. I hoped but didn't expect we would win and even when we were up 19-3 in the 3rd I never felt secure. I have seen the Browns lose far too many heart breakers in my life and have seen Brady win a few too. Saying that, this one hurt. We should have, could have won. We manhandled New England for 3.5 quarters! The pass interference call at the end was weak. Very weak. But, we should never have put ourselves in that situation to begin with. Until Cleveland can figure out how to finish a game we will always be a team that does not live up to our potential. Jason Campbell played well though and to be honest, I have been impressed with how resolute, calm and poised he has been.

Holy shit, I think Gronk's knee is gone! He got absolutely destroyed on that play and we all know he is made of glass anyway. Thing is, had T.J. Ward hit him higher he risked the fine/penalty. Catch-22.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

They should just eliminate helmets, those things are like projectiles. No helmets just like in rugby, in fact no pads either.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

that philadelphia/detroit game looked AMAZING. looked like great fun.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jack white wrote:that philadelphia/detroit game looked AMAZING. looked like great fun.
That game was on one of the tv's at the pub where my son and I watch the Browns. It was fun to watch them get a face full of snow every time they were tackled and going for 2pt. conversion instead of kicking the PAT.

There were crazy endings in several games last weekend (Cleveland, Baltimore, Philly, Pittsburgh).
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Another disappointing football season for me comes to an end next Sunday. The excitement at our bye was quickly snapped away by miserable play and heartbreaking defeats. Leave it to the Browns to tease their fans and then just as we begin to celebrate they rip our hearts out and return to crushing us into smithereens.

Not sure who to watch for in the AFC...logic would have Denver as definites...afterall, KC struggle with teams who have winning records. Patriots are up and down and have been pushed to the brink by many teams including Houston and Cleveland. Cincinnati could be a dark horse as could Indianapolis. But, I still think Denver may go to the Super Bowl.

The NFC is interesting as everybody is focused on Seattle and SF yet, quietly both Arizona and Carolina have positioned themselves as dark horses. New Orleans don't seem to have the defense to go too far and nobody in the NFC North seem to even want to win their division. Philadelphia will most likely take the NFC East as Romo is now out for the season for Dallas. Philly's 50+ points against Chicago were impressive but I'm still not a believer, yet. My gut tells me the NFC West or NFC South will produce the conference champion.

College...I watched Fresno State's bowl game against USC simply out of curiosity on Derek Carr. Of course the one game I watch he has his season worst game :roll: (am I a jinx?). Not sure how that performance will help him in the draft or if his stock will fall. I'm now interested in watching this other QB from UCF in the Fiesta Bowl. Knowing the Browns though they will choose somebody totally random that will just add to our endless list of QB busts!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Niner's look terrible on Offense. To me, CK7 looks scared and doesn't look comfortable for some reason ? I seem calmness in Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan and Kap is like a deer in the headlights. Defense has kept them in the game and they almost lost to the Falcons if it wasn't for that timely interception. I don't see the Niners progressing deep in the playoffs and they'll certainly lose to the Seahawks if played in Seattle. Seattle could possibly lose again to the Rams this Sunday and the Niners can beat the Cardinals, thus gaining the #1seed in the NFC West. I don't know how Palmer can throw (4) interceptions and still win the game in Seattle - amazes me !

Looking at the standings, I think the Pats are the best team in the AFC, I think they can beat the Broncos again ! Much better than the Broncos or Colts. Brady is doing terrific without : Welker, A.Hernandez, Gronk and utilizing Amendola, Edelman and Blount (Oregon - remember him for punching out a player after a game ?) On defense they lost Wilfork and Mayo for the rest of the season due to injuries. No mention of the Chiefs - they are terrible, looked good thru a soft schedule. Alex Smith is just okay.

For the NFC, I think Seahawks, Panthers, Eagles,possibly ... Niners. Kap needs to have better games going forward. No Bears and Packers, both are terrible. Why would you start Cutler when McKnown won (4) straight games when Cutler was hurt ? And I've heard that he just didn't play good, but played very well !? If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Cutler doesn't deserve an extension next year, he is in the same class as Romo. I think the Eagles can run the table, how good is this Nick Foles : 24 td's, 2 interceptions and a qb rating off the charts. I saw the game last week, first time I've seen him play and he looked like he played for 5+ season, calm and relaxed in the pocket and threw the ball out of bounds instead of forcing an interception if a play can't be made. Great running game in McCoy, but defense can be their downfall.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Philadelphia are total Chip Kelly....high powered offense but no defense. He did the same with Oregon. I do not know how far that can take them - remember what happened when the Ducks played Auburn? Then again...same with Denver. They have allowed several teams to score a ton of points but only beat them because they scored more. Fast football for people who don't have the attention span for a trench war slug fest. Personally, I find a 10-7 defensive struggle like what we saw between Seattle and Arizona very exciting.

Arizona Cardinals defense are the defense that Ray Horton created. Horton left Arizona when he was skipped over for HC and he is now the Browns defensive coordinator. Browns def have played well most of the year and were ranked in top 4 for 2/3 of the season. We have been torched the last few weeks but I think a lot of that is a combination of young guys and we switched from 4-3 to 3-4. Our linebackers seem to still be adjusting. Many of the big plays we have given up came right in the middle. I think we will be better next year BUT, I fear Horton will only be with us 1-2 years max. He will be mentioned in the off season by several owners/GM's as candidate for HC.

Nick Foles...great story and he has earned his stripes but I wonder if he is a one year wonder like Derek Anderson, Josh Freeman and to a certain extent, Kaepernick?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Rodgers is playing on Sunday for GB. Looks like The Bears' playoff hopes are all but down the drain. Oh well, they don't really deserve to make it to the playoffs, anyway.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Chicago v GB should be a good game. Both teams need to win so no sitting any starters or relaxing on last game of the season. Rodgers starting could also be a blessing for Chicago. Matt Flynn found his mojo against Dallas and was looking good. Rodgers may be tentative to avoid further injury. Bears defense (and offense) also have a lot to prove after their game against Philly. Who knows, this might be the best game of the weekend.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Yeah I can agree that the weakest link with the Eagles is the defense but I don't think they're defense is horrible either, I wasn't expecting much this year with Chip just coming on board but I must say that the whole team has a positive attitude that I haven't seen in years. I definitely think that they'll be a force to be reckoned with next year, and yeah I think Nick Foles is the real deal. Cool, Calm and Collected. Isn't that a Stones song :lol:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Minky wrote:I think Nick Foles is the real deal. Cool, Calm and Collected. Isn't that a Stones song :lol:
No doubt about it...Foles has done so well. Glad he has been given his moment to prove what he can do. The test will be to adjust his game as defenses adjust to him.

It also gives me some hope for Brian Hoyer next year. Although, he will have to come back from a bad injury, which adds more pressure.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Discount Double Check ! What a gutsy performance by Rodgers. Led them on that drive with (3) fourth down conversions, including that 38 yard pass to Cobbs. Wow, a 7 week layoff with rust and Rodgers willed them to a win. Bear fans were already celebrating in the stands until that play happened.

Forty Niners will lose next week in Lambeau Field, they barely beat the Cardinals !
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Uggggg ... SUCKS!!!! I hate the fucking Packers. Hopefully SF can demolish them.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Meanwhile, the one constant in the NFL remains unchanged...the Browns coaching and quarterback carousel continues along with yet, another rebuild.

I swear to god, if this team was not part of my DNA I would walk away from them (what did I do in a past life to deserve this team?). They are a joke and I'm so glad the season is over and I have my Sundays back.

To those of you who support good, or more importantly, FUNCTIONAL teams...I salute you.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Paul, I don't think the 49'ers can beat the Packers next Sunday. I just don't think CK7 is playing well to beat anybody. He seems average this season and to go to the Frozen Tundra and face the Packers - forget it ! They barely beat the Cardinals !

Heads are rolling, as we speak : Shanahan, Frasier, Schwartz, Chudzinski, Schiano ......

Pretty funny prank by a Chicago Bears fan on his daughter. He gives her a Packers jersey and she proceeds to throw it back at him and kick it across the room !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvGB9B1UtJM
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

What a tremendous grind out win ! If the 49'ers play like that then they are unstoppable. Defense was great and I could say CK7 played well. Needless to say, I don't think he'll be able to find that much pasture against Carolina next week. It will be evenly matched : CK7 vs. Newton, SF defense vs. Carolina defense. I think the 49'rs will find a way to win, especially with the momentum shifting game last nite.

Redcloud, thanks for Dawson. If your still griping about the Trent Richardson trade, I'm sure the Colts could hand him back to you, as well as throw in a 3rd round pick. They just want to get him off the books ( guaranteed money/salary ). He had one carry against the Chiefs and fumbled it and that was enough to bench him the entire game for Donald Brown. Speaking of the Chiefs, it wasn't Alex Smith's fault. He threw for 378 yards/4 td's/0 interceptions ! The defense failed them ..... again.

How awful is Andy Dalton, especially when he wouldn't take responsibility for the loss : 2 interceptions and 1 fumble.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Yeah....and how great was the Rose Bowl?
Attachments
msu.jpg
msu.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 13083 times
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: Redcloud, thanks for Dawson. If your still griping about the Trent Richardson trade, I'm sure the Colts could hand him back to you, as well as throw in a 3rd round pick. They just want to get him off the books ( guaranteed money/salary ). He had one carry against the Chiefs and fumbled it and that was enough to bench him the entire game for Donald Brown. Speaking of the Chiefs, it wasn't Alex Smith's fault. He threw for 378 yards/4 td's/0 interceptions ! The defense failed them ..... again.
When it came down to Dawson kicking the winning FG I knew it was in the bank. Dude, played in Cleveland for 14 seasons. He is fine kicking in the freezing cold and with wind. No problem. He's money. In fact, I would put Dawson above Janikowski as the best kicker in the game. I am so proud and pleased for him. He won his first playoff game...he put in 14 seasons with shitty Cleveland teams. He deserves all the success he can get.

No, I'm not griping about Trent trade anymore. That seems obvious that we got a steal there. Now I'm just wondering who the fuck we will hire as our next coach. Maybe Auburn's coach? Rumor has it that Josh McDaniels is getting a serious look. Our President is good buddies with him and we seem to have an obsession with Belichick disciples. You know those front office guys...they like to surround themselves with friends. Bit of an old boys club for better or worse (in Cleveland's case it often proves to be for the worse).

Chiefs lost that game more than the Colts won it. But, if you saw how many of their guys were injured: Charles, Avery, Flowers etc. Had they won there is no way they would have won the second round being that banged up.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Road warriors ! We can beat them at 0 degrees or 65 degrees, even rain ! Seahawks are beatable, D.Brees didn't get it going until the 4th quarter - too late. 3rd straight NFC championship game, it'll be close but I think the 49'ers can prevail. We got Crabtree back (injury) and Aldon Smith (rehab) that we didn't have when we played them earlier in the Pacific Northwest.

Redcloud, did you hear about the complaint lodged by the Indy Colts ? They put in a complaint to Roger Goodell and the NFL to reverse the Trent Richardson trade. They believe that they got a lemon. Trent Richardson last nite : 3 carries, 1 yard. One foot a carry - not bad ? LaGarrett Blount is a beast. Patriots are going to the Super Bowl, 6 running td's and not one thrown by Tom Brady. They'll smash the Broncos at Mile High next week. Too many weapons at their disposal.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Niners played well, that is for sure. Not a fan of all the extracurricular talking by Boldin though. He should just let his game do the talking. To be honest, I was hoping Niners would win simply because I love the idea of a heated rivalry between Seattle and San Francisco. That game will be intense. Seattle have an edge simply because it will be played in Seattle and their fans will make it difficult for SF. That said, the 'hawks may need to find more ways to score. I don't think Harvin will be playing (he got destroyed on that one play) so that is one offensive weapon potentially gone. Should still be a good game and fun to watch! I will root for Seattle because they are nearest team to Portland. But, if SF win I will be happy for Dawson. He has earned his stripes.

I think the Browns next coach might well be hired by the team that loses in Denver today. I'm thinking we will go with either Gase or Wisenhunt. Detroit too are keen on Wisenhunt but I also read they like Munchak (Titans ex-coach).

Lagarette Blount...man, what a thug but he was great yesterday (and previous weeks). However, I was more impressed with NE's o-line. Brady had a lot of time to throw and the holes they created for the backs were very impressive. Still, Tampa were crazy to get rid of him.

Didn't hear nor read about that Colts complaint regarding the T. Rich trade. Not sure what the commish can do so sounds pretty lame. The trade was done. Now, Indy need to see what they can do to help the guy be more productive or they need to trade him to somebody else. I'm sure Jacksonville may be interested? Jones-Drew isn't getting any younger so they may need a young back to come in and replace him.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Redcloud, I was only joking about the T.Richardson trade. Indy got shafted and the Browns got a slew of picks. I don't know if Percy knows his name, he was definitely concussed on that play. The only thing I'm worried about is the beast. Marchan Lynch is hard to stop, but we got the momentum. CK7 looks hungry.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Go Chargers!!!!

*tap*tap* is this thing on?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

toomilk wrote:Go Chargers!!!!

*tap*tap* is this thing on?
You should be pleased with how far they went this season. They exceeded everybody's expectation. One TD away from tying today's game too. Shame there was a total lapse of coverage when Denver had 3rd and long with 3 or 4 min. left in the game. Had SD stopped them on that set of downs who knows what could have happened.

One thing I think is certain...Chargers will lose Ken Wisenhunt to one of the teams still looking for a head coach. My money is on him being announced the new coach of either Detroit or Cleveland in the next day or two.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Which teams do you guys think are going to win next week? I'm hoping for a Denver vs. SF Super Bowl. I really don't want to see the Patriots in it again.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

redcloud wrote:One thing I think is certain...Chargers will lose Ken Wisenhunt to one of the teams still looking for a head coach. My money is on him being announced the new coach of either Detroit or Cleveland in the next day or two.
Well, the first of this prediction I was correct on. However, this is precisely why I don't bet. Not only would I be broke on the amount of times I fully believed the Browns would win but also, Whisenhut went to Tennessee today, which I didn't foresee. I'm beginning to wonder and am a bit nervous about Cleveland's lackluster head coach search. So, where is this "proven winner" our owner promises? :roll:
TheWarmth wrote:Which teams do you guys think are going to win next week? I'm hoping for a Denver vs. SF Super Bowl. I really don't want to see the Patriots in it again.
I'm with you on being bored of Boston teams. To be honest, I don't care about either AFC team...not a big fan of the Broncos. Never have been ever since "the drive" and "the fumble". At this stage, I am pulling for Seattle simply because they are my nearest team. But, if SF win and go to the Super Bowl I will be pleased for kicker Phil Dawson who put 14 dedicated years in Cleveland and on shitty teams. He has already gone further this season than he ever did in Cleveland. He deserves it.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Great teams and great games coming up. And to think, S.F. is considered the only a wildcard with a 12-4 record. The 49'ers and Seahawks split the season, but playing in the NW will be tough, y'know the '12th man'. CK7 could possibly get rattled ?

Tom Brady vs. Petyon Manning and Pats vs. Broncos will also be a great game. I don't think that Mile High will be that great of an advantage as compared to Seattle and Brady plays well on the road. Brady is certainly doing more with less this year losing Wilford, Mayo, Hernandez, Welker and Gronk. Players such as Edelman, Amendola, Blount and Ridley have stepped up.

Super Bowl Prediction : 49'ers vs. Patriots
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I think the two conference championships are set up pretty much as most of us expected. The only two teams I thought at the start of the season may also be there were Houston and Atlanta. But, they both had extremely disappointing seasons.

Seattle are without Harvin, which could play into SF's favor. Also, if it comes down to just a couple points my money would be on Dawson settling it. But, either team could win this one.

Same can be said with New England and Denver. PAtriots are banged up and Brady has been ill all week. Not sure how that will play out. But, I think either one of these teams could win too. Both are high powered offenses run by two of the best QB's and coached by two of the most creative coaches. Belichick is a legend and is up there with Paul Brown, Chuck Noll, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Bill Walsh and Tom Landry as one of the greatest coaches ever. He takes risks too, which sometimes work out and sometimes don't but...you can never predict what type of game he might call. Brady vs Manning...both teams defenses will be up against the wall. Wilson vs Kap, Belichick vs Fox and Carrol vs Harbaugh....man, these games should be good.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I have a premonition on Dawson kicking the winning field goal, for some reason ? 23-20 49'ers. It'll be that kind of game. :shock:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Bad play call by the Niners. They still had (2) time outs left at the Seahawks 30 yard line or so and why not continue throwing down the middle for 8-10 yrds. Catch the ball and call a time out, instead opted for a risky td pass.

Even tho' Richard Sherman went to Stanford, you can't take the ghetto out of him. Tasteless. Geez, that interview w/ Erin Andrews was ...

Had a chance to win, but blew it - oh well. 0-2 this weekend.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: Even tho' Richard Sherman went to Stanford, you can't take the ghetto out of him. Tasteless. Geez, that interview w/ Erin Andrews was ...
I don't know man...this Niners team are seriously mouthy. They are far, far removed from the days of Montana, Rice, Lott, Taylor etc. Last week's match against Carolina and today's game I saw a lot of SF players getting into faces of Carolina and Seattle players. Kap, Boldin, Crabtree to name just a few. But, there were others and Harbaugh too is SUCH a whiner! So, that final play turned around and bit them in the ass. My take on Sherman's post game interview was that Crabtree had disrespected him with talk and Sherman owned him on that play that won the game (but, I agree it was still classless and would have spoken volumes had Sherman let his play speak for itself rather than stooping to Crabtree's level).

Still, it was a good game and I think Seattle might play better against Denver than SF anyway. The Super Bowl should be a good game but Sherman will definitely have his work cut out against Manning.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I think the reason this is set in Cleveland and the Browns is because Costner was wined and dined and offered a good deal to shoot his film there. I'll still go see it but us Browns fans all know it probably doesn't tell the true story of how terrible our draft picks have been since '99.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g81pwETvtI
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm still haunted by Elway's drive and Byner's fumble. Plus, Seattle is closer to Portland than Denver. Go Seahawks!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I said earlier that if Seattle could hold Denver to 24pts or below I felt they had a good chance of winning. But, I certainly didn't foresee that much of a lopsided game!

Proof that the offense may sell tickets but the defense wins championships.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I actually watched the opening of this by chance. They said on TV that the Denver quarter-back is one of the most experienced in the game but that opening fumble was hilarious. Fastest points ever in a Superbowl or something...?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:I actually watched the opening of this by chance. They said on TV that the Denver quarter-back is one of the most experienced in the game but that opening fumble was hilarious. Fastest points ever in a Superbowl or something...?
He is, and will, go down in history as one of the greatest. I don't think this game will define him. To be honest, his numbers were actually very good. He had a lot of yards and completions but he also had two interceptions and only one touchdown. Seattle's defense were lights out and Denver's defense...well, they didn't show up.

That opening turnover was actually the center's fault. Manning (the QB) was coming up to adjust the play and the center sent the ball off cue.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

He is not the winner Montana, Brady, Starr are. I would put him much further down the list. His brother has one more Super Bowl win than him.
Attachments
peyton.jpg
peyton.jpg (45.74 KiB) Viewed 13223 times
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:He is not the winner Montana, Brady, Starr are. I would put him much further down the list. His brother has one more Super Bowl win than him.
Add to that list, and arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game, Mr. Otto Graham! From 1946-1955 he won seven championships! Not to mention countless MVP, Pro Bowl, All- Pro accolades. :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I admit, I will probably only go see this in the cinema (and on opening day) simply because it stars the Cleveland Browns. I can already predict the underdog, feel good script...General Manager finally pulls a bad team out of the depths of the cellar by trading some players and picking a stud in the draft. Not sure if it will fictionally show the Browns making it to the Super Bowl or not BUT....I wont be surprised if it does. Hey, the Browns need all the good publicity they can get.

Sadly, I'll probably be the one guy in the audience proudly wearing Browns gear.

redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I've always considered Stephen Stills an underrated guitarist. Sure, I have read he wasn't very nice but my feeling is that anybody who is addicted to drugs probably isn't very nice. Musically, I love Buffalo Springfield, the first two CSN/CSN&Y albums, his first two solo LP's and the double LP "Manassas" album. All GREAT records that get a lot of airplay in my house. So, when I stumbled on this third solo in the cheap-o bins I took immediate notice. The jersey first caught my eye and I knew I had to buy it. Not sure why he is wearing (what appears to be) a Browns jersey. In 1975 the Browns were 3-11 but, my appreciation of Stills just went up a notch. :D
13324_Stephen-Stills.jpg
13324_Stephen-Stills.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 13162 times
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Roger Goodell : With the 4th overall pick of the 2014 draft, the Cleveland Browns select Brandin Cooks out of Oregon St. Out of sheer coincidence or luck he is also from the same hometown as Brown's great, Webster Slaughter out of Stockton, CA. Also, the home of Pavement and Chris Isaak ......
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Roger Goodell : With the 4th overall pick of the 2014 draft, the Cleveland Browns select Brandin Cooks out of Oregon St.
I like Cooks a lot and would have welcomed him as a Brown. But, not at #4 overall pick. I love what we did...we ROBBED Buffalo for that trade down and acquired a 1st round and a 4th round in the 2015 draft and we only tumbled 5 spots to get our man. LOVE IT! We walked away with a top rated CB and then went and got a QB. Sure, people are split on Manziel but I have to think that all of our armchair opinions mean shit compared to the coach and GM who have watched countless hours of tape and try outs. I'm all in and he will now need to compete with Hoyer, which may help improve Hoyer too.

Now, if we take Marquis Lee at #35 that will be a KILLER first set of picks.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Bridgewater for the Vikes, what do people make of that? From what I've read about it, it seems like a good pick. No doubt they needed a QB for the whole of the last season, and his numbers look good. Y'all know more than me though when it comes to American football...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Time will only tell how these players pan out. It ain't exactly a science, but more of a gamble.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Spacemanrich is correct...it is all a gamble. Andrew Luck has proven to be the best QB taken in first round in a while. Sam Bradford (Rams) has yet to prove his worth (but, he also needs a better line to protect him and more weapons to unload the ball to).

All of that said, Bridgewater could be awesome and Vikings needed a QB. As a Browns fan I was uneasy about Bridgewater simply because I worry he could get destroyed. He needs to start lifting weights to beef up so he can now take the type of pro hits he will face.

We took Manziel....a guy you either love or hate and he too could be a winner or a bust. He is also full on ego but you know what...if the cat can bring winning football back to Cleveland I am 100% all in. Have to say, I also love the move the Vikings did and it made sense for Seattle too. It means Seattle can get a quality player in next round and not have to pay as much. For them, at the top of their salary cap that was important. Several pundits expected Cleveland to trade w/them. But, once we got our QB there was no need and we pick again at #35. I'm hoping for Marquis Lee but would not be surprised if we take an offensive lineman or even a linebacker next. Both would make sense.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

redcloud wrote: but would not be surprised if we take an offensive lineman or even a linebacker next. Both would make sense.
We didn't go the sexy route...instead we went the safe, solid decision with one of the best o-linemen available. There are few really big, solid guys and they are the ones who work in the trench. Without them, no QB, no RB can be successful. I was hoping for the wideout but I understand this pick and am happy with it.

Once Jacksonville took Marquis Lee I was eyeing Allan Robinson as a potential WR. But, he too went today....to Jacksonville! The same team that only a couple years ago drafted a fucking punter in the 2nd or 3rd round! They are having a good draft so far.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Best fucking draft the Cleveland Browns have done since we returned to the league. I LOVED it! Sure, I would have been super stoked had we added a receiver, especially after the latest rumors about Josh Gordon. But, we picked up a handful of undrafted receivers, two of which are in the FBS' top 10 for most receiving TD's. Remember too, Wes Welker was undrafted (as was Arian Foster). Not to mention we robbed Buffalo of their first and fourth round picks next year. We have plenty to play with and if 2015 draft goes as well as this years everyone will want to join in on the Browns party! A veteran WR may still land at our feet once cuts are announced. I'm not worried and a potential loss of one WR isn't going to derail this train.

Can't wait until the season starts. I'm sure there will be disappointment as well as success but, I think it's going to be a fun ride. Also, realistically I think 2015 is when the train will really start moving.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

OMG ! You agree with mgmt ? The best deal was trading Trent Richardson in hindsight. You grabbed a bunch of picks from that trade.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:OMG ! You agree with mgmt ?
I agree with Ray Farmer - our GM. Pettine too (our HC) who I am sure also had a lot of say in the boys they drafted. The best move our owner has done since he bought the team was firing Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi and promoting Ray Farmer as our GM. Weird situation considering he hired Banner and Lombardi but I respect that he was able to admit the mistake now and cut the losses to move forward w/Farmer. I'm pretty confident to say that neither Banner nor Lombardi would have drafted anywhere near as sensible as we did in 2014.
spacemanrich wrote: The best deal was trading Trent Richardson in hindsight. You grabbed a bunch of picks from that trade.
I agree that in hindsight the T. Rich trade was great. We only got their 1st round (#26) for him, which we used for Manziel. Only time will tell with him...but, as a fan I have to jump on board the Johnny Express!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Great start for Vikings tonight! Unbeaten in pre-seaon also, won't be hard to improve on last season surely..... surely...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

James T wrote:Great start for Vikings tonight! Unbeaten in pre-seaon also, won't be hard to improve on last season surely..... surely...
There are still shirts floating around Detroit that say "Detroit Lions- 2008 Pre Season Champs. Winning When It Counts".
Heavy on the sarcasm there. From a company called Rebuilding Since '57. A dig at the Ford ownership's incompetence.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Where is Redcloud ?

Hoyer is terrible, two picks today and can't take advantage of the weak division.
Kap is horrible too, he's now up there with Cutler, Romo, Dalton and Geno Smith.

Put Johnny Football in now to save the season.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

M.jpeg
M.jpeg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 12669 times
Welcome Home Jim Harbaugh !

#GOBLUE