Rockbox.org - Mess up your ipod.

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

clewsr
Known user

Rockbox.org - Mess up your ipod.

Post by clewsr »

I'm a real fan of the insane geekiness it must take to update a machine's firmware. Firstly an amazing guy from Romania updates the firmware for my USB DVD player, which has made it a much better product, then I stumble upon Rockbox, which is updated firmware for the ipod, and lots of other music players besides.

The most important thing it that it introduces is support for FLAC files, so finally I have an easy way to play all those live shows I've downloaded, plus I've released all my music from the grasp of itunes, and now have it all in one place on one device connected to a stereo in the kitchen.

It is quite wonderfull, if a bit techy, and requiring some painfull reorganisation of music files and editing of mp3 tags. If you have too much time on your hands, or like me you fancy something a bit techy to do while avoiding the things you really should be doing, then take a look.
Last edited by clewsr on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NightWash
Site Admin

Re: Rockbox.org - Mess up you ipod.

Post by NightWash »

Im using Rockbox on my Sansa e200 since years now. It was quite a bit of pain when i started using it because it was still a beta release first. But now i runs really stable and its fun. I can only suggest it - for a Sansa.
Iim not sure if i would install it on an iPod. The usage must be quite different and could "confuse" the usual iPod user ;) Havent read the manual for the iPod but i belief that you can try it and remove it easily if it doesnt fit you. So read the manual first - and be sure that you have the right generation since it wont run on any iPod.
clewsr
Known user

Re: Rockbox.org - Mess up your ipod.

Post by clewsr »

yes.Very important to note it doesn't run on an ipod 'classic'. I got an ipod video 5.5 80gb from ebay, which is the latest version it works, on. I'm going to convert my ipod 3rd gen at some point, and porbably increase the hard drive on it to match. It does seem to easy to move back to the original firmware if you wish.

Did i say it runs Doom as well?!
NightWash
Site Admin

Re: Rockbox.org - Mess up your ipod.

Post by NightWash »

Yeah - freedoom actually. And some more "ancient" games. There is a gameboy and a ZX spectrum emulator available for rockbox which enables you to play a lot of really old games. I have no idea which apps you have for the iPod (quite a lot), but rockbox has some really good ones. And you can play almost every format with it.