Brian Wilson - Smile

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

jb
Known user

Brian Wilson - Smile

Post by jb »

Anyone bought this yet? What's it really like?
man
Known user

Post by man »

i got it last night and loved it! it's a weaved musical history of u.s.' westward expansion (with veggies). the playing is modest for a re-recording, not some bloated update interpretation. almost every song washes into the next and you can find repeated passages of each throughout. our prayer is holy, heroes and villains one of the best, and surf's up magnificent! amazing emotional range across the whole thing too :D :cry: :wink:
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

so how does it compare to previous versions?
I only have the "odeon" version..
man
Known user

Post by man »

appledelphy wrote:so how does it compare to previous versions?
I only have the "odeon" version..
don't know that one, i only had chunks from g.v. box set and smiley smile so not sure? compared to those, well it's totally different of course in that there's a transition now, a sorta narrative quality. the playing isn't THAT different at first but there's obvious changes, quality/timbre/whatever of brian's voice and the backing vocals stick out. but i think the arrangements are largely the same. cabinessence is beautiful shit, you can stream the whole thing at the SMiLE website and hear how all the pieces stick together - sorry not too familiar with the smile mythology :?
asd2112
Known user

Post by asd2112 »

1/2 through my first listen of smile...... vocal masturbation is the only way i can describe it. i loved pet sounds though. there are def. some nice spots on this album but they kinda get ruined by the over indulgence of vocal layers and whatnot. its like brian knows 1 trick or used 1 trick. but pet sounds never sounded like a 1 trick poney(to me anyway). sry this is kinda shit review, i couldn't sleep so.......... but i'm curious about others opnions:)

anywho, i will give it more listens just b/c this is the same guy that made pet sounds. perhaps it will grow on me.
i don't want to be your lover i just want to be your victim

asd
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!, maybe i am listening to a completely different SMILE. but the one i got is mesmerizingly beautiful. absolutely amazing. this album killed a few careers (the coral, the music). i have listened to it about 4 times already.

xxxshonnxxx
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

a beautiful noise wrote:WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!, maybe i am listening to a completely different SMILE. but the one i got is mesmerizingly beautiful. absolutely amazing. this album killed a few careers (the coral, the music). i have listened to it about 4 times already.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A million of those to ya.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Its Amazing