Dennis Wilson doc

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Shinesalight
Known user

Dennis Wilson doc

Post by Shinesalight »

Did anyone see this on BBC4 last night. Watched it on the I-Player when I got home last night. Don't know that much about the Beach Boys, but this was really interesting viewing. And I love Mark Radcliffe's understated narration. Not sure about getting the drummer from the Foo Fighters to do vocals on an unfinsihed Wilson track though?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Beach_Boy/
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Re: Dennis Wilson doc

Post by toomilk »

I recently had the chance to get his Pacific Ocean Blue reissue for free, so I indulged myself...but I don't particularly like it. And I agree with Taylor Hawkins. Should have left it alone.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Yeah, I really enjoyed this one, Ads.

Radcliffe has a good voice for narrating anything music-related I think.

That 2nd wife must have been a real bitch.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I remember we did a round of compilation CDs a few years ago and someone, I think it was Shaun (The Jig), put River Song on one of them and I loved it but never really paid attention of who sang it at the time. Will have to dig out some of those comp CDs and see what other gems are on them that I forgot about.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

weak, it won't play for us yanks. Dennis was the man.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Saw the repeat of this at the weekend, twas interesting viewing alright.

Anyone catch the Heavy Metal Britannia thing on Friday night? That was a good way to pass a few hours. Black Sabbath recording their first album in 12 hours in between gigs! Bands now wouldn't have lasted pissing time back then would they? :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I saw the Heavy Metal Britannia documentary. Thought it was brilliant. I used to be a metal head in my school days but was glad that the doc stopped around the time Maiden were making it big. The first hour was class with all the old footage of Sabbath, Zeppelin, Blue Cheer, Vanilla Fudge and tales of Northern Britain during the so called Summer Of Love (not flowers in your hair but more chance of a boot in the head), all the steel mills and metal factories, pints of bitter and roll ups. I liked the story the Sabbath guy told about when they were playing America during the whole Vietnam demo era and the vets came to their show in wheelchairs and were held up during War Pigs. Even now it brought tears to his eyes. Really interesting and down to earth characters.

Coke being delivered to their Bel Air mansion in soap powder boxes! Snowblind indeed........

Got a bit silly when Judas Priest and the like popped up but Rob Halford was funny and natural too.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

they should give NWOBHM it's own show!!
the guy from Uriah Heap was an apologetic ass! they shoulda spent some more money o their talking heads & got in richie & even dio & leven ars ulrich!!
the sabbath stuff was far & away the best stuff.. but that's no surprise 'cause that's what they were!

re - dennis, there's a class film on imdb concerning his relationship w/charlie. & i thought yer boyo from the radio had an awful time as narrator!!
gonna burn brightly
for a while