Damaged Goods

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

toomilk
Known user

Damaged Goods

Post by toomilk »

I got a Kate Bush 12" off Ebay last week and it arrived today. The package looked really beat up when it was at the door. I opened it and noticed the corner of the sleeve was smashed in. When I took the record out, it was broken in half. This is extremely sad. It was in immaculate condition. Not a single scratch or a single sign of wear on the vinyl and only light scrapes on the otherwise perfect sleeve. Just sent the seller a message. Hopefully I can get my money back. This is a very sad day indeed.

Anyone else have horror stories with packages arriving damaged?
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Damaged Goods

Post by spzretent »

as a seller this has happened twice to me.
I sent two records out in heavy cardboard and a mail carrier in Texas and one in Seattle bent them in half to fit them wherever they were going. Not good for records at all.
The buyer in Seattle filed a claim w/Paypal and won even though she didn't pay to insure it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

spzretent wrote:as a seller this has happened twice to me.
I sent two records out in heavy cardboard and a mail carrier in Texas and one in Seattle bent them in half to fit them wherever they were going. Not good for records at all.
The buyer in Seattle filed a claim w/Paypal and won even though she didn't pay to insure it.
haha,

got your record,
it was folded in two.
light-bulb strikes the postman,
...can I sue?
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

I have on two separate occasions bought a copy of the Splitting the Atom 7" (the Sonic Boom/Stereolab thing) one from the US and one from Europe (i think Germany) and both of them have been cracked in half during shipping (they were fine in the pics from the auctions, unless the seller pulled the old switcher-ooo)

im kinda feeling like its destiny that i will never have a copy of this to play... all i have is the artwork to look at. :(
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I bought a Timeshard album from a record shop and when i got it home and took it out of the sleeve i was greeted with the sight of half a record, the other half still in the sleeve. They'd obviously sold it to me like that, luckily i was a regular and there was no trouble in changing it for me.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

A mate found the Spiritualized LAGWAFIS 12 cd limited package at Amoeba Records in San Francisco. It was wrapped in plastic shrink wrap and he didn't open it - I guess he wanted to keep it as a collector's edition. I have one myself, and when I picked his up I noticed how "light" it was and was suspicious of the fact. He eventually opened it up and found only 1/2 of the cd's in the foil ( only 6 ). I guess the seller wanted to rip Amoeba off or Amoeba wanted to rip my mate off.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Yip,

purchased Pure Phase Tones for DJ's from someone off Discogs.
Postie decided to bend it and pop it through my letterbox.

In this instance I can't blame the postie as the package had a "cornflake box" stiffner and had the seller had failed to put any "Do Not Bend" stickers on it.

I reclaimed my money from the seller but he wanted his goods returned. I told him to "ram it" and take it as a lesson learned.

In general I have a huge problem with buying vinyl on-line and that is why I choose not too (or very rarely at least).
I (thought) I'd got hold of a first press "Sheet One" by PlastiKman in Mint Condition.
Only when it arrived it was "Good to V Good" at best. I dunno what sellers are using as a benchmark, half the time.

In fairness; I've had an equal amount of problems with purchasing downloads too. File links being corrupt and/or expiring. Cabinet files being incomplete or sometimes even empty. Useless bits of software called "Download Managers" being the choice way to d/l. Waiting a few days for email query responses. Duplicate amounts of money being taken for a single d/l.

I tend to stick to Compact Disc now.

B,
S.