NHL Playoffs

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Re: NHL Playoffs

Post by spzretent »

For the above post/link alone I want Vancouver. Not sure how they are up 2-0. Getting out shot big time early in both games.
I also think the cup going to Canada is good for hockey and obviously great for Canada.
Maybe Bettman will eventually understand that there need to be a lot more Canadian teams and less NHL teams in cities that shouldn't have them ie: Phoenix, Miami, Columbus, Nashville and really Dallas and Denver, who have front running fans. When the teams aren't winning the fans dont show up.
Look at Toronto. 40+ years of mostly shitty hockey and tickets are impossible.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: Look at Toronto. 40+ years of mostly shitty hockey and tickets are impossible.
Sounds vaguely familiar to the Cleveland Browns!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Browns tickets are easier than Leafs tickets. Well less expensive on the scalpers market i would guess.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well this series just took an ugly turn. I love it!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

EIGHT TO ONE.

EIGHT TO ONE.

EIGHT TO ONE.

Happy happy happy night.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

BOSTON, again!!!

Four to zero.

Series tied at two a piece.

This shit is on. I love it when cocky red-heads get humiliated. No offense to any redheads here...recent experiences have caused me to hate your kind.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I don't understand how a team or fans can be so ecstatic after a 1-0 win. You barely won. Stop acting like big shots.

I'm just waiting for a game 6 embarrassment, just like game four.

These Canucks are my second least favorite team in hockey ever. They never cease to prove that I'm right.

GO BRUINS!!!!!!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

toomilk wrote:I don't understand how a team or fans can be so ecstatic after a 1-0 win. You barely won. Stop acting like big shots.

I'm just waiting for a game 6 embarrassment, just like game four.

These Canucks are my second least favorite team in hockey ever. They never cease to prove that I'm right.

GO BRUINS!!!!!!
It's not about how many goals you score. It's about who wins. 1:0 is actually more of a heartbreak mentally then 8:1.

Anyway, I dislike the Bruins and have all my life(Canadiens fan). GO CANUCKS!!!

Sorry,

Mark
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am learning to dislike Vancouver more and more the longer this series rolls on. They play really undisciplined hockey and where are there superstars when it counts? Much like LeBron in the NBA Finals they disappear. If Ryan Kesler were not obviously hurt it may be a different story. The Sedins? Nice vanishing act.
This one is going 7 games I think and hope.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I am learning to dislike Vancouver more and more the longer this series rolls on. They play really undisciplined hockey and where are there superstars when it counts? Much like LeBron in the NBA Finals they disappear. If Ryan Kesler were not obviously hurt it may be a different story. The Sedins? Nice vanishing act.
Have to admit, I didn't grow up watching hockey and have yet to fully embrace it. Not out of disinterest mind, just out of unfamiliar territory, my father not being into it when I was growing up and I have never lived in a place where a team was firmly rooted. That said, I have seen a couple of Portland Winterhawks games (WHL US Division), which are good fun. This season they finished in first place but lost in the final.

I do have a colleague and friend who grew up in Vancouver and is now all of a sudden an obnoxious and proud Canucks fan. Not sure where her support has been before this year. Other than the Canadian national team I never once heard her mention ice hockey before this year. Having studied at the Univ of Oregon she has always been a rabid Ducks fan and enjoyed ridiculing my support of losing franchises. If the Canucks win that will only add more fuel to her banter. For that alone...Go Bruins! :D
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

spzretent wrote:I am learning to dislike Vancouver more and more the longer this series rolls on. They play really undisciplined hockey and where are there superstars when it counts? Much like LeBron in the NBA Finals they disappear. If Ryan Kesler were not obviously hurt it may be a different story. The Sedins? Nice vanishing act.

This cup final is about the goaltenders. Also, in hockey it's all about depth to win it, you need balance on the lines and both teams do. As for that, others need to take the slack from from others and vice versa. I'm finding it a very enjoyable series.

In hockey your top line cannot win the whole thing. Basketball is totally different, cant compare at all.

B,

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Really?
If you have one part of your team not showing up and pulling their weight that is very much comparable.
You can have way more depth than your opponent but if you are constantly taking stupid penalties what good is that.
I do agree about the goaltenders to some degree. Not sure why Luongo has so many problems on the road. Thomas hasn't.
Every year its the same thing with Vancouver. Fans cheering when they pull Luongo in Vancouver at the Canuck-vision thing wednesday night. Friday night he is the first star.
Beyond that Vancouver fans seem to think the cup has been theirs all season. Just ask plenty of teams who finished with the best record where that got them.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Game 7!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Totally deserved win by my nemesis the Bruins. Congrats to Tim for his outstanding play in net.
Hopefully Montreal next year :)

B,

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

LOVED this game. I was in a bar full of Vancouver fans, but I just laid out the facts for them prior to the puck drop. Made some US vs. Canada jokes that they clearly didn't understand, but I had the ultimate laugh.

Sure enough, I was right (thank god).

Boston wanted this. Vancouver seemed taken aback by the fact that another team was going to try harder than they were. That's why they lost. They were clearly the best team this season, but Boston wanted it more. They fought harder for the puck, for opportunities, for position, for saves, etc etc and that made all the difference. They had more goals - the real difference maker...(duh). Tim Thomas was also a HUGE part of it, but he had tons of help (Ryder in the first round, Chara today).

I love it when the better defensive team wins. They COMPLETELY shut down the Canucks' offense, which was apparent throughout the series. This is especially effective when the Canucks represent a different style of hockey, one where people get penalties for DIVING, bite fingers, blindside hit people and knock them out cold, etc etc. They showed a lack of maturity and disgraced the game. Some could argue the same for Boston, but what does a middle finger compared to Horton's concussion? Trick question: it doesn't.

Boston won. They had it coming. I'm happy.

GREAT fucking season. Can't wait for next year....

Going to make another OUTPATIENTS ON ICE fantasy group...watch for the invite!!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Let's not get into "blindside hit people and knock them out cold, etc etc."

Chara is still a goon.

B,

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

wait, wait, wait...

are we talking about Chara or Rome?

I'm not saying the Bruins are angels, but their swipes and jabs are all within the current legal rules of the NHL. Rome's hit, however, it quite the opposite. His actions are an example of a Canucks team that can't cope with competitive pressure, especially at the Stanley Cup level. Rome's hit in Game 3 came at a moment when the Bruins stepped up their aggression, but never stepped outside of the "law." Rome was caught in a moment and payed dearly (although it wouldn't have made a difference if her weren't suspended or not) for his brash actions. For me, that was the series-changer. It exposed the white underbelly of a first place team.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

This was during the regular season.

Anyway, the better team won. Tim was amazing.

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

A split second takes a clean hit and turns it into a suspendable penalty. The players are much bigger, stronger and faster. And while the instigator rule exists these things will keep happening. Let the players police themselves.

The final. As one of the Bruins players said(or maybe it was their coach) "we rolled 4 lines and the physicality eventually wore them(Vancouver) down". For a game 7 it was odd because it seemed like Vancouver really couldn't get anything going. The Boston defense totally shut them down. I know they out shot Boston but the game seemed lopsided the other way.
Two more words- Tim Thomas! 8 goals allowed in 7 games? Has to be one of the great Stanley Cup Finals performances by a goalie ever. At least that I remember.

I'd be pissed off if I spent $8600 for a ticket to that game as a Canucks fan.
But rioting? Really?
Minky
Known user

Re: NHL Winter Classic

Post by Minky »

Just sitting down to watch this year's Winter Classic between Flyers & Rangers. Looks amazing there, I wanted to get tickets but they were ridiculously expensive. Should be a great game.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

It's that time again. Penguins vs. Flyers is going to be one intense series.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

A tip of the hat to Nashville. They were the hungrier/better team.
With Pekke Rinne they could go far into the playoffs.
Should be an interesting off season for the Red Wings.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I can't pretend to know much about ice hockey. I didn't grow up watching it. But, Portland's WHL team (Winterhawks) are damn good and are now playing in the Western Conference Championship against Tri-City Americans. I teach three of the players who have been drafted and come from Canada and US states (Arizona, Colorado). They come to Portland in their final year of high school, live with host families and play for the team. Our school is one that participates in the program. I have been given a handful of free tickets over the season from them and it's fun to watch. I hope they make it to the championship.

http://www.whl.ca/
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

WoooooO! Go Kings!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ok. So the Wings are out. Bummed.
But so are Pittsburgh and Vancouver so all is right with the world this morning.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Congrats to Marty Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils for defeating the New York Rangers. :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

There is absolutely nothing like the presentation of the Stanley Cup.
Well done LA Kings.
Glad they won it at home. It makes it so much sweeter.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Yes indeed...congrats to the LA Kings. An 8th seed team that just steamrolled over every opponent in the playoffs. Also, nice to see ex-Flyers Richards, Carter, and Gagné finally winning a cup.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

As an LA kid myself, I've never been much into hockey, however it's been really fun and exciting because everybody has gotten into it since the playoffs. It's nice being swept up in some hometown pride that isn't for the Lakers (who can feel a bit like the yankees - i.e. not that fun to root for). I was actually at the Dodgers game last night, and so they showed the end of the game as well as the stanley cup itself later on on the jumbotron and everybody went wild - it was pretty cool and it made the vibe for the night a bit more energetic and more fun in an otherwise lackluster performance for the dodgers.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Take it from a massive hockey fan, what LA did was spectacular. And I am glad they won it front of the home fans. An 8 seed winning it all? Amazing.
Have fun with it. Its a lot of fun.