NHL Playoffs

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

NHL Playoffs

Post by spzretent »

A little early for us Red Wings fans to be in a game 7 but man, they played the best playoff game since beating Colorado in a game 7 7-0 in 2002. on to round 2.
Now if Montreal can take a page out of the Red Wings playbook and upset Washington on the road in their game 7 tonight. That would be fantastic.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
marcvolta
Known user

Re: NHL Playoffs

Post by marcvolta »

Booo on you!!

Caps all the way baby!!!!!
you do have to admit, OVie is pretty awesome to watch.....

btw: i was rooting for the Wings last year, Goddamn the Pens!!!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

GO HABS!!! May the best team win this evening.
Top game by Detroit. Ilya Bryzgalov deserves the rookie of the year though.

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have nothing against Washington Marc. I just like upsets. Weird coming from a Wings fan I know.
I cant stand Pittsburgh and Sidney Crosby. But I do have to grudgingly admit he had a great series against Ottawa.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Need you remind me of that game 7 in 2002 :wink:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I will say this, that 5-7 year span of Wings-Avs hockey was the best. Even Joe Sakic said that. And there is a healthy respect for the Avs here in Detroit. Claude Lemieux on the other hand...... :evil:
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Wow what a game. SO happy the Habs won! Great day for any Montrealer. I must say it was quite a lucky one though.
How many shots did they miss? How many were blocked? That disallowed goal was interference(slight) but how the referee saw it I have no clue.

Now Pittsburgh ugh....

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Gah! I can't believed that happened! Shocked....not that I'm the biggest fan of the Caps - just liked them more than the Habs and thought they were (er, should've been) the better team.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well Mr Ovechkin is gonna to raise his game a level when it counts. In the playoffs. As much as i despise Sidney Crosby he is having a helluva playoffs thus far. Still, anyone but Pittsburgh.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: Still, anyone but Pittsburgh.

I didn't grow up with NHL. I enjoy watching the National team though but I don't follow individual cities. That said...the above is a rule of thumb I tend to follow in American football! Fuck the Steelers!

Boston Celtics, Red Sox, NY Yankees, Dallas Cowboys and the LA Lakers are a few more teams I am SO tired of and wish would go away!

Notice how all of the above are more or less the mega wealthy major corporations of American pro sports? :twisted:
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

watching the bruins/flyers game right now. Pretty intense! Just about to start overtime.

I'm quite sure that watching the NHL playoffs is bad for my heart. I always get anxious and scream and my stress level goes through the roof. ugh.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Habs need to get one... GO HABS GO!

M
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

2:2 I see it going 7...

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Damn you Habs!

If they were playing any other team (well, except for the aforementioned Caps), I would be rooting for them. I have a soft spot for the Penguins. Sydney Crosby was my mortal enemy during the olympics, but I don't mind him too much. Weird that the Habs fans were booing him, since he scored the winning goal for Canada. The recent game, which I watched on a rerun today, crushed my soul. Two bad chances turned the whole game around.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Sidney Crosby could well be the most hated player in the NHL. He certainly is in every town that sees him in a series. He has a dirty streak too. His constant whining and never, ever giving any credit to his opposition is so, so tiresome. Not to mention his blowing off shaking Nicklas Lidstrom's hand after they won the cup last year. A major hockey no no.
If/when the Red Wings get knocked out here are my choices:
1. Anyone but Pittsburgh
2. Either Canadian team- Vancouver or Montreal.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Game 7 between the Habs and Penguins is going to start in an hour. The Habs have definitely taken the hardest line to get to the cup and no one even expected them to reach a game 7 in the second round. Tonight's game will be a big one.

Just would like to note: The Habs have won a Stanley Cup in every decade since the 1920s. Would be awesome if they continued that streak with this being their last chance.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Jeez. Halak was on fire. He stopped the Pens from coming back after an absolutely dismal first period.

Bravo, Habs.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Seconded.
Its great to have not only a Canadian team in the final 4. But an Original Six tean to boot. They have won me over big time.
See ya Sidney!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Oh happy day! What a great team effort by the Habs. Next will be either Boston or Phily... If its Boston.. It will be one of the most brutal series. Thanks for the support.

GO HABS GO!!!

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Look out, Mark ... Chicago isn't looking to shabby.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I have to agree. The SJ Chi series will be really good. Chi Habs final would be a great!
Original 6..

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

TheWarmth wrote:Look out, Mark ... Chicago isn't looking to shabby.
You should be good, Scotty Bowman is involved. Damn it!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I have no idea what this is all about but you all seem very excited about it :?
'Remember, change is not good'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ice Hockey. The best playoffs there are.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Little twit will not play in Germany...Now I have lost it all for Syd.

M
Design.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

montreal canadians eh :D
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

aka:
Bleu, Blanc et Rouge
The Habs
Les Habs
short for Les Habitants
in any language

GO HABS!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just witnessed the upset of the century. Can't believe that just happened to The Bruins. Wow. All lost because of the too many men call.

This is an incredible playoff year.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

my friend lives in montreal and she is slowly getting me into hockey, after all that time getting her into football! i'm not brave enough to start with cricket yet! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: go england 20:20 final!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

That was a choke job of epic proportions. Up 3-0 in the series and up 3-0 in game 7.
Too bad because a Boston vs Montreal would have been a classic match up.
They really hate each other.

BB: I have taken a few English friends to ice hockey games here and they immediately pick it up because the rules are similar to football except that it is played on ice, with sticks and its six a side. None of them get baseball or American Football. Except the drinking part.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

bunnyben wrote:montreal canadians eh :D
My home town. :wink:

B,

M
Design.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

MODLAB wrote:
bunnyben wrote:montreal canadians eh :D
My home town. :wink:

B,

M
:D :D what a lovely hometown! such a beautiful city. mr mods, you just get cooler everytime :D
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

spzretent wrote:That was a choke job of epic proportions. Up 3-0 in the series and up 3-0 in game 7.

BB: I have taken a few English friends to ice hockey games here and they immediately pick it up because the rules are similar to football except that it is played on ice, with sticks and its six a side. None of them get baseball or American Football. Except the drinking part.
i have slovak friends and we were watching slovakia vs russia the other night and i understood everything except why they took off their keeper in the last few mins so that russia had an open goal to score into! it was crazy!

why do boston and montreal hate each other?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

bunnyben wrote:
spzretent wrote:That was a choke job of epic proportions. Up 3-0 in the series and up 3-0 in game 7.

i have slovak friends and we were watching slovakia vs russia the other night and i understood everything except why they took off their keeper in the last few mins so that russia had an open goal to score into! it was crazy!

why do boston and montreal hate each other?

It's just a very long rivalry.

Bruins-Canadiens rivalry
The Bruins-Canadiens rivalry is a rivalry in the National Hockey League (NHL) between the Boston Bruins and the Montreal Canadiens, two teams that are considered a part of the Original Six. The Bruins are among the Canadiens' more heated rivals. It is considered one of the most bitter rivalries in professional sports, as the Bruins and Canadiens have played each other more times in regular season play than any other two currently existing teams in NHL history. As of the start of the 2007–08 NHL season, the Bruins have won just over 255 of these matches, scoring a total of 1,814 goals against the Canadiens, with the Canadiens winning over 320 of them, scoring a total of 2,071 goals against the Bruins, with 105 other games between the two teams ending in ties, all before the 2004–05 NHL lockout's rule changes mandated the "shootout" format to break such tie games, going back all the way to the Bruins' first NHL season of 1924–25. As of the start (on April 16, 2009) of the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs initial matchup between Boston and Montreal, the two teams have met for a total of 159 games, some 42 more games than two other "Original Six" teams, the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Boston/Montreal number of playoff game appearances against each other is the highest in NHL postseason history.
In the 1950s, the Canadiens would defeat the Bruins in the Stanley Cup finals three times. Also, during the 1952 playoff semi-finals, Maurice Richard was knocked out in the seventh game but returned to score the series-winning goal. One of the most famous NHL photos is the one of Richard and Bruins goaltender "Sugar" Jim Henry shaking hands after the conclusion of the series; Richard has a cut above his eyebrow while Henry has a black eye.
In a game against the Bruins on March 13, 1955, Rocket Richard was given a match penalty and suspended for the remainder of the season for deliberately injuring Hal Laycoe. Richard skated at Laycoe, who dropped his gloves to fight. The incident was exacerbated by Richard repeatedly breaking away to attack Laycoe with hockey sticks, and then assaulting linesman Cliff Thompson who had attempted to restrain him. The suspension prevented Montreal from finishing first in the league and from winning the Stanley Cup. It personally cost Richard the league scoring title. (The scoring title eventually went to Richard's Habs teammate, Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion. Geoffrion was booed by the Montreal faithful when he passed Richard for the point lead on the last day of the season.)
While the teams played each other often, the rivalry became truly pronounced in the 1970s, when both were yearly contenders. In 1971, despite the Bruins finishing first in the league and shattering many NHL scoring records, they lost in the first round to the Canadiens in seven games. This ended a potential Bruins dynasty (although they would win the Stanley Cup the following season). Don Cherry's "Lunch Pail Athletic Club" lost to the Habs in both the 1977 and 1978 Stanley Cup finals. Canadiens fans remember the rough tactics that Cherry's players used against Guy Lafleur, whose head was swathed in bandages at the end of the 1978 series after repeated high-sticking from Bruins players.
The seminal moment in the history of the rivalry was probably Game 7 of the 1979 Semi-Finals. After a rough and tumble series which saw both sides win at home through the first six games, the Bruins took a lead in the closing four minutes of game 7 in Montreal, thanks to a goal by Rick Middleton (Ken Dryden would later remark this as "the most beautiful goal" that he ever let in). The Bruins were charged with a minor penalty for having seven players on the ice, Lafleur scored the tying goal on the ensuing power play, and Montreal's Yvon Lambert scored in overtime to win the series. The win allowed Montreal to advance to the Stanley Cup finals, which they won for the fourth consecutive year.
The rivalry continued throughout the 1980s, mainly due to a division-oriented playoff format that seemed to pair the teams every year. Some memorable brawls took place, including one which continued into the tunnel between players who had been sent off. In 1988, the Bruins won the playoff series against the Canadiens in the latter's Montreal Forum on the way to advancing to the Stanley Cup Final. The next year, the Canadiens beat the Bruins on their way to the finals. In 1990, the Bruins finished off the Canadiens in the Boston Garden on their way to the Stanley Cup Finals and would also win the 1991 and 1992 playoff match-ups against the Canadiens, the last one being a 4–0 sweep. Part of the Bruins' victories over the Canadiens was due to goaltender Andy Moog who was often referred to as the "greatest Hab killer" the Bruins ever had. Ironically, Moog signed with the Canadiens for the 1997–98 season and helped the Habs to their first playoff series win in several seasons.
After meeting in the playoffs for nine straight years from 1984 to 1992, the two teams didn't face each other in the postseason in 1993. As for the Canadiens, they went on to win their most recent Stanley Cup with 10 straight overtime victories. In 1994, again the Canadiens were knocked out in the first round by the Bruins. Contributing to the animosity, the Canadiens defeated the Bruins in the first round of both the 2002 and the 2004 Stanley Cup playoffs, despite the Bruins being seeded higher. The Bruins had finished first in the Eastern Conference in 2002, and second in 2004.
The Montreal Canadiens for the first time in many years did better than the Bruins in the 2007–08 regular season, winning all match-ups between the two teams. During the last regular season game between the two teams, Steve Begin, who would become a Bruin himself in the 2009-10 Bruins season, angered hockey fans while still a Canadien when he cross-checked star center Marc Savard from behind, resulting in a broken bone in Savard's back. Fate led the Canadiens to meet the Bruins in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, which Montreal won in seven games, which showed the Montreal team's potential for having problems with hard-checking opponents such as the Bruins. The Philadelphia Flyers, just such a hard-checking team through most of their own history, proved this by ousting the Canadiens in the following series that Montreal competed in, with a 4-1 games-won record.
The 2008–09 regular season, however, resulted in an almost complete reversal of the previous year's fortunes for the two teams, as out of the six meetings of the Bruins and Canadiens (down from the eight in previous seasons, due to NHL scheduling changes across the entire league) the Bruins gained a total of 11 of twelve total possible standings points in those six games, while Montreal only gained a total of four standings points in those same six games. The Bruins ended the regular season atop the NHL Eastern Conference standings with 116 points, while Montreal was lucky to "squeak into" the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs with 93 points, and as fate would have it, the two teams would once again meet in the 2009 NHL postseason playoffs, for the thirty-second time in their long history. Boston won the series in four games sweeping the Canadiens for the first time since the 1992 playoffs and for the first time in franchise history sweeping them in the first round, before the Bruins fell in a tough seven game second-round series against the Carolina Hurricanes.
The presence of Jack Adams Award-winning coach Claude Julien, and forwards Michael Ryder and Steve Begin as players for the Bruins for the 2009-10 season, all as former Canadiens personnel not long before, looks to once again stoke the Boston-Montreal rivalry, with the second game between the two teams in the 2009–10 NHL season having being played in Montreal's home rink on the very date (December 4, 2009) of the Canadiens' 100th anniversary as a hockey team, which resulted in a 5-1 home victory for the Canadiens.

Thank you! Montreal is a beautiful place. Just a shame to live there as an anglophone.

B,

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

bunnyben wrote:
If a team is down by one goal(sometimes two) they will "pull" their goalie/goalkeeper to gain an extra man in the offensive zone. Really nothing to lose if you are already down by a goal. Philadelphia tied one of the games in the Boston series that way. Much the same way you see a goalkeeper run past the midfield line in football very late in close game if they are losing..
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The greatest use of the pulling the goalie in hockey was when the Habs played the Kings in the '93 finals. After losing game one and being down in game two, the Habs drew attention to Marty McSorley's illegally curved stick* which drew a penalty. It was the third period and Jacques Demers pulled Patrick Roy (the goalie) for a 6 on 4 advantage. They scored, forcing the game into overtime. The Habs won and it changed the series. The Kings never came back. Just goes to show that special teams go a long way in hockey.

*- Supposedly the coaches snuck into the King's locker and measured his sticks.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

toomilk wrote:The greatest use of the pulling the goalie in hockey was when the Habs played the Kings in the '93 finals. After losing game one and being down in game two, the Habs drew attention to Marty McSorley's illegally curved stick* which drew a penalty. It was the third period and Jacques Demers pulled Patrick Roy (the goalie) for a 6 on 4 advantage. They scored, forcing the game into overtime. The Habs won and it changed the series. The Kings never came back. Just goes to show that special teams go a long way in hockey.

*- Supposedly the coaches snuck into the King's locker and measured his sticks.
I was very happy that evening. Great game.

M
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

There was a guy at the merch table at BJM last night wearing a Red Wings shirt which I commented on. He looked astonished that I recognised it and then frowned and said 'they didn't do too good this year, huh?'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thats funny however, the Red Wings are a bit like Hockeys version of the NY Yankees. They are always at the top of most merch sold by any one team. Probably because so many people have moved away they want to "represent".
Nice to hear.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Well, each series has been one-sided so far. Can we expect a Blackhawks vs Flyers final?

Keep in mind that either way it would be a 1st or 2nd seed western conference champ vs a 7th or 8th seed eastern conference champ......but not like that mattered in the eastern conference anywhoooo.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Well, it used to be so home ice advantage... See what happens. Being 2 down is not the end of the world.

We will see what will occur in the next match's. 3:0 is a different story (and yes i know its possible).

B,

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Well, the Blackhawks advanced in an incredible win today. What a game.

Hopefully the Habs can make a comeback...
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

GO HAWKS!!! Scalp those Broad Street bullies!

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

HAWKS!!!!!!

What an incredible series! Patrick Kane winning it on a goal that only he saw. Celebrating in a completely dead rink. Amazing.

Jeremy Roenick (former Hawk who never got the chance to win it with the team) was in tears because of the emotions it stirred up. Goes to show how important that trophy is....
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

i'm very pround of antti niemi - the very first finnish goalkeeper of the eight previous finnish NHL winners. if he is not chosen to be the best finnish athlete of 2010, then moon may split in half.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Antti Niemi is one of the main reasons Chicago has the Stanley Cup. He could have easily won the Conn Smythe(Most Valuable Player in the playoffs award). You should be proud!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Anyone interested in starting a fantasy NHL league with me?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Well, I made one anyways. http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/l ... ritualized

You need a yahoo account to do it.

Password: spiritualized

I chose offline draft so you overseas kids can play too.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

**COUGH COUGH***
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Really?!? No one?!?
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

dude !

there are a few weeks til NHL ! lol !
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

yeah, but people need to join so we can start the fantasy draft before the season starts!

If you're interested, don't hesitate to join!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

LAST CALLLLLL
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Datsyuk is the best all around player since Sakic(a few other's of course).

He's such a delight to watch. Wings should be proud to have him.

B,

M
Design.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Anyone following? Too early? Excited about the Flyers vs. Sabres game tonight.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Oh yes!
Hopefully watching the Wings close out Phoenix....forever. I hope they do move back to Winnipeg. And I would love to see a few more teams move back to Canada- Atlanta and Florida for starters. Not sure hockey belongs in Columbus, Carolina or Nashville for that matter.
I just hate that the Wings are in the Western Conference hence all these 10:30pm starts. It sucks.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The Kings game last night was one of the most painful experiences I've had with a TV set.

4-0 lead, and they lost it in overtime. And I HATE the Sharks.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Series over! Now Wings get to rest. So do their fans until the next batch of 10:30pm starts in the next series.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The Flyers lost last night 1-0. Ryan Miller for the Sabres was absolutely phenomenal. They couldn't get the puck past him. Series tied at two.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ryan Miller is the best goalie in the NHL.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The Flyers came back to tie the game from a 3-0 deficit tonight...only to lose in overtime to the Sabres. A terrible loss for the Flyers but a great game nonetheless. Urgh!!! I'm curious to see who starts in goal for the Flyers in the next game after tonight.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Incredible day for hockey. Jesus christ.

I'm sad that the Ducks got knocked out though. I used to go to their games when I was a little kid. They will always have sentimental value to me.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Lots of stained underwear in Vancouver tonight.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Okay.
Being a life long Red Wings fan I too had written them off. No bounces going their way. Down 3 games to 0 to San Jose.
Holy crap have they turned it on the past three games. But watching tonights game, seeing them completely undress San Jose yet somehow losing 1-0 early in he 3rd period. It just seemed like one of those games no matter how well they played, they just wren't going to win.
Boy was i wrong.
i cant wait until thursday night.
Two words....GAME 7!
Best two words in sports.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Well, this also happened in the last round with Vancouver and Chicago. Chicago lost, but last year the same thing happened to Philly but they won.

It's a very rare occurrence. I personally hope The Wings win. San Jose is my least favorite team in the NHL and they deserve to get embarrassed in game 7. They are not a playoff team. Their owners somehow don't want to change that, but that's the way it is. They will always lose in the playoffs. They thought bringing in Niemi would solve that problem, but they don't have Duncan Keith.

PS: Go bolts!!!!!!!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »