World Cup thread (had to happen!)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

Re: World Cup thread (had to happen!)

Post by spacemanrich »

Great games with a bit of controversy for each game. Neverless, England never showed up during the WC. Germany with their blitzkrig counter attacks, especially the third goal where #14 for England couldn't catch up with the German player and seemed to give up on the play ?

Argentina was terrific as well, but the MexiCANTS attacked for the first 30 minutes of the game and were more aggressive until ... the controversial goal and from then on it went downhill.

Clash of the Titans next Saturday. After watching both games, both Argentina and Germany are very good and a tough decision to make ? But, in the end I'll take Germany next Saturday. Oezil is lightening quick and the Germans have a lot of firepower in Klose, Poldalski, Muller and Schweiggen?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shaun wrote:
spzretent wrote: They made Germany look like a perfect football team.
No they didn't. They helped to their own downfall and made themselves look to be very ordinary and very overrated.
I don't agree with you Shaun - I think they did. The point made here is that Germany were made to look excellent but against a genuine quality side it might have been different. The tie against Argentina is going to be very interesting. England were so inept their style of play made Germany look vastly superior and themselves look rubbish. A double whammy.

On another subject... Gabriel Heinze - what kind of arsehole planet is that guy from? What a fucking twat.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

No, the point made was Germany looked like a perfect team thanks to England which is not true. And don't you agree that England contributed to their own downfall?

Scrub that above. After re-reading your last post Mark it's clear you do agree with me, just not the word 'perfect.'
What more can the heart of a man desire?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Shaun wrote: Scrub that above. After re-reading your last post Mark it's clear you do agree with me, just not the word 'perfect.'
Oh, my bad :shock:
But then again that was my opinion so I am sticking to it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shaun wrote:He may be history or not, but you might be underestimating the level of support that football generates over here. He'll still be discussed in generations to come. Fact.
I fully understand the level of support football generates in England. However, if Capello is the subject of discussion for "generations" perhaps that is part of the problem? Best to look forward rather than backwards. Yes?

In the end, with all due respect, the English team just did not arrive in South Africa with a proper attitude to truly make an impact in this Cup. They were arrogant egos who came across as entitled pre-madonna's who ultimately finished just slightly better than the French and the Italians.

I'm not saying this to generate controversy nor argument in this forum but it's a fact and I'm sure most in England will agree with the above assessment. It's a great shame because on paper the team looked good. Damn good.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

redcloud wrote: I'm not saying this to generate controversy nor argument in this forum but it's a fact and I'm sure most in England will agree with the above assessment. It's a great shame because on paper the team looked good. Damn good.
they usually do. competition after competition and always fall below expectations.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Germany was not perfect nor were made to look perfect. Total rubbish. Even the Germans DO NOT think so...

Also it is virtually impossible to defend when you have a good team on 5 on 3 or 4 on 2... Watch the match again...
Upson was terrible though...

Back to Wimbledon.

M
Design.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Well said Redcloud. It's how I view England all the time. I nver watch them in friendlies as they're a waste of time entertainment wise and then when it comes to the main tournaments they fail to deliver. Euro 96 was the last time they looked like a great team, since then there's been glimpses but nothing more. All the talk about the Premiership being the best league in the world is a load of horse poop. It's overloaded with money and ego's. The so called 'golden generation' look great because they're surrounded by world class players from around the world who make them look great and they're playing lesser teams when you get away from the top 4. It's an embarrassment the way they all played at this world cup and they didn't deserve to go through the group stage. Qualifying after a 1-0 win against Slovenia and then bigging themselves up with talk of smashing the Germans and how they can go all the way......hello, you only just beat Slovenia, calm down! We pay our managers far too much. £6m a year for Capello and his contract was renewed, or reviewed, BEFORE going to the finals. What's that all about??!! If we sack him he'll get £12 million. It's a disgrace. He'll be the one getting the blame just like McClaren did but look at McClaren now and the way he lead that Dutch side to their championship title. He must be pretty decent to do that so what does that say? Yep, the Engalnd players are shite. I watched a really good interview with Andy Gray on Sky Sports late last night and he was saying get in an English guy, doesn't matter if they have no coaching experience (just like Maradona and Klinsman - and for that matter the current German coach, where did he come from?), someone with passion and pride, get in players who want to play for their country and who can play as a team......blah blah, I'm ranting aren't I..........basically England suck........and as for that goal that wasn't a goal. BAH!!! The only time Lampard scores in a tournament and it doesn't get noticed, hahaha, you couldn't make it up could you!

C'MON GHANA!!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Joachim Löw was Klingsmanns assistant last WC. Löw has been in the German Football organisation as a player, coach and television commentator. He was a terrible player but he knew that and when he finished his career he went into coaching.

Well known in Germany but not outside...Now with this going on and a huge deal with a clothing company he has shot up to star status.

M
Design.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

MODLAB wrote:Joachim Löw was Klingsmanns assistant last WC. Löw has been in the German Football organisation as a player, coach and television commentator. He was a terrible player but he knew that and when he finished his career he went into coaching.

Well known in Germany but not outside...Now with this going on and a huge deal with a clothing company he has shot up to star status.

M
Aha, the clothing thing. They do look an odd couple him and his number two, in their matching casual outfits.

One more rant. We're 3-1 down, we need goals, so we take off Defoe and put on Heskey :roll: If I was Crouch I'd wonder what I'd done wrong. He's banged in a lot of goals for us but never gets picked for the big games. Why Capello stuck with Heskey is baffling.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

MODLAB wrote:Germany was not perfect nor were made to look perfect. Total rubbish. Even the Germans DO NOT think so...
M
That is not what I said. What I DID say was England's pathetic display, particularly their defending, made Germany look perfect. Long passes down the middle resulting in goals as well as a few other German goals(the first goal springs to mind) made them look better than they were. It was as if the England defense just let Germany run amok.

I did not say they "were" perfect. I said England made, or helped if you will, made them look a lot better. Perhaps perfect was a bit strong.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I have to say Im not the least bit surprised at England crashing out of the competition. They consistently perform badly and fail to come up to the standard expected from what (as many have already said) on paper is a fantastic squad. On top of which you have the ridiculous amount of press attention, speculation, pressure (call it what you will) which may play a part, although surely they must be used to it from there club games? I don't know? I stopped watching England play shortly after they went off the boil after the amazing Euro 96. Since then they've had brief glimmers of what they could be but the majority of performances have been exactly what we have witnessed over the last 2 weeks. They lacked passion, imagination, skill (pretty shocking when you think that this is their job and what they get paid) and just any kind of spark. Not being able to pass the ball with accuracy at this level of the game is just embarrasing. It would be better if I thought they cared, but barring Rooney's outburst at the booing (which I can see from both sides, But I'll just add in my two pence worth, If you had flown to SA to watch your country play in the world cup I think you could be forgiven for getting a little upset at the performance they showed in that game. Not good sporting behavior but thats life). I really don't think they care. The bottom line is its not there breadwinner like club football and they still get paid. Maybe I'm wrong but on the strength of what I watched I didn't see anything to tell me I'm wrong. The games aren't even entertaining. Mid-field bore fests with the chance of a lucky goal. Im going back to not watching England play. Maybe I'll try again in a few years who knows?

Maybe it was the pressure, who knows, but I will say this, all any of us want is to see them try. Ok if you get knocked out but at least have a go right? Give it your best shot? Ok if your not the best in the world but at least try! If not why are you even bothering to play?

My favorite team of this world cup. NZ. My misses is a Kiwi and I felt proud for her Homeland team turning up and getting stuck in. had a disallowed goal against Italy which would have been a winner (but we wont go into disallowed goals...) Possibly the only team to go home undefeated. One of the team works part time in a bank. That my friends is the difference. Watching them compared to England was worlds apart. Ok the skills weren't razor sharp, and they need some strikers (hang on that England right?), but, (and this is a big but) they never gave up. They kept fighting.

Passion and spirit go a long way. A long, long way.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

spzretent wrote:
MODLAB wrote:Germany was not perfect nor were made to look perfect. Total rubbish. Even the Germans DO NOT think so...
M
That is not what I said. What I DID say was England's pathetic display, particularly their defending, made Germany look perfect. Long passes down the middle resulting in goals as well as a few other German goals(the first goal springs to mind) made them look better than they were. It was as if the England defense just let Germany run amok.

I did not say they "were" perfect. I said England made, or helped if you will, made them look a lot better. Perhaps perfect was a bit strong.
:lol: :D isn't that more or less what I said anyway, England contributing to their own downfall. I'm now baffled.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Also it is virtually impossible to defend when you have a good team on 5 on 3 or 4 on 2... Watch the match again...

Back to Wimbledon.

M

sharapova is out :( i've lost interest until the final now
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

bunnyben wrote:

Back to Wimbledon.

M

sharapova is out :( i've lost interest until the final now

Haha! Watching Djokovic vs Hewitt... Great match.

But I do agree with you that the women's side is lacking. Also, boring since the days of Navratilova et al...

B,

M
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Many interesting points here but I think a crucial thing has been missed.

In the World Cup qualifiers England played very well indeed in many games and thrashed Croatia home and away which was not expected. They went into the tournament with some degree of confidence. Some of you will point out that in the friendlies before the finals they were crap. That's true, but look at all the initial games under Capello before the first actual qualifier. England were dull and the press started to turn on him saying his style was the same as McLaren's - uninspiring. Yet in the first qualifier they won and in the second went to Croatia and played absolutely superbly. I thought there would be some upping of the game when the World Cup itself started but the fact that in the first 2 games England were so poor suggested more than a simple case of stage fright, tiredness, etc. The scrambled nature of the win over Slovenia and then the total disaster of yesterday seems to show that something has gone very seriously wrong internally in the England camp. I don't know what it is but this is more than a case of the team not showing up. Could Capello have lost the dressing room? On his own that seems unlikely - he is too experienced. Could there have been a revolt in the ranks? Possibly and indeed more likely. Terry's press conference has some evidence of this and it's known how furious he was at losing the captaincy. Something else? Who knows. I firmly believe something more than a case of poor performances or poor managerial decisions took place and I wonder if we'll ever find out what it was - maybe until one of the squad eventually writes an autobiography revealing all. Yes mistakes were made and Capello got things wrong at times but there were way too many players playing like shit for it to be that simple.

Of course I could be miles out but it's too out of character for a Capello team to implode like that. Personally I think they should let him stay on as manager. There isn't anyone else that springs to mind who could (or would) take it on.and he is certainly capable of winning things.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

If Capello is kept on as England manager his next team selection might help pick the bones out of your conclusion runcible.
runcible wrote:
Of course I could be miles out but it's too out of character for a Capello team to implode like that. Personally I think they should let him stay on as manager. There isn't anyone else that springs to mind who could (or would) take it on.and he is certainly capable of winning things.
The England manager job is a poisoned chalice. It's slightly different to club managers where in a results driven sport they are judged by how many wins they achieve (Allardyce at Newcastle?) but the England manger is, and always will be, judged on success alone. Capello could stay on and take his team on a winning streak from now until the final of the next European Championships but if that final ended in defeat the press would say time for change, and probably so would the FA.

The FA seemed determined to go with a foreign manager when appointing Capello but I thought then, and still do, that they missed a golden opportunity in not doing enough to get Arsene Wenger as manager.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:
that something has gone very seriously wrong internally in the England camp. I don't know what it is but this is more than a case of the team not showing up.
Their egos were too self-centered and arrogant and they felt entitled to win it. Capello was also out coached by his opponents.

A recipe for disaster.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Shaun wrote:
:lol: :D isn't that more or less what I said anyway, England contributing to their own downfall. I'm now baffled.
Yes. You took one word out of my post and went to town with it.
Didn't realize we were such a "literal" group.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

No I didn't. I Just disagreed with what you said and you even realised that. It's that simple.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

This is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sD_8prYOxo

~Red.. your post is missing... Zap! it came back...
Design.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: Yes. You took one word out of my post and went to town with it.
Didn't realize we were such a "literal" group.
It is because it's soccer. It causes as many disagreements as does politics and religion.

It also doesn't help that we're "yanks" and our opinions are not valued because we call it "soccer", our nation hasn't endorsed the sport as passionately as others and we apparently "don't have a clue". That's why it always makes me smile when our national team does better or equally as well/bad as those who ridicule us.

8)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Just read my post. I did not say Germany was perfect. I said They(meaning England) made Germany look perfect.
I have no interest in splitting hairs here.
This is my last post in this thread. I just dont give a fuck anymore.
Joy taken completely out.
Whats next. Typos?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

MODLAB wrote:~Red.. your post is missing... Zap! it came back...

Yea, not sure what happened there.

I love that skit by Cleese. :D

He can pull it off because it's parody. It's condescending and patronizing when it's done out of arrogance though.
Last edited by redcloud on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

spzretent wrote: This is my last post in this thread. I just dont give a fuck anymore.
Joy taken completely
Whats next. Typos?
I agree. Mine too. Boo Hoo.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

redcloud wrote:
MODLAB wrote:~Red.. your post is missing... Zap! it came back...

Yea, not sure what happened there.

I love that skit by Cleese. :D

He can pull it off because it's parody. It's condescending and patronizing when it's done out of arrogance though.

I agree.

M
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Tuned in to watch the England game with interest,and was flabbergasted to be honest at the paucity of the performance ,i`d kinda bought into the "Englands experience should just see of this young German team" theory and genuinely thought they might just shade it ,boy was I wrong ,thank f8ck as a married man with responsibilties I don`t visit the bookies no more or I`d be out of pocket as well as wondering how I read it so wrong,

the inquest will go on for weeks now,personally I don`t doubt Cappellos quality,only his ability to get his views across ,his English is terrible!! communication between manager and players has got to right up their in your list of priorities surely?
was something wrong in the squad? maybe ,maybe Cappello should have dropped Terry altogether after shagging adventures , maybe the Terry situation is the root of some internal squad friction,he was f8ckin` appalling yesterday anway running around like a headless chicken and looking anything but the English media acclaimed world class centre half ,Upson clearly isn`t WC class but as 3rd choice could surely have expected more help from his more experienced partner,

it was piss your self funny watching Barry trying to keep up with Ozul ,man he looked like he was pulling an invisible tractor tyre behind himself, but the general panic that seemed to collectivelly take over at the 60 min.mark really left the result in no doubt, E ngland were making chance and with almost 30 min.left had no need to push on in such a cavelier fashion , a shocking lack of football intellegence to be caught twice like that especially after their 1st half get out of jail, Rooney was diabollical ,so poor and if Cappello had any bollocks he wouldn`t have played ,that would have been the big call ,but I guess its easier to play the star man and lose , than risk dropping him and not winning. christ he`d have got hell for that ,but thats supposedly why you pay a man £6 million to make those calls correctly, so you failed on that one and quite a few others ,don`t know if the FA is willing to pay the cash to fire him ,if not he`ll be their for the Hungary friendly in August ,wonder who else will
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I don't like how the British media in South Africa is attempting to pin England's loss on something Fifa did. Sure there have been some bad calls throughout this world cup, but get over it - every team was effected. The press conference with the British media and a Fifa spokesperson was a shit show where the media was using Fifa as a scapegoat for their own doubts and insecurities over their team. Accusations towards Fifa for being an "international laughingstock" and "a joke" were really uncalled for and childish. Someone asked the spokesperson if he had any message for the disappointed England fans and it was met with a look of "what do you want me to say?"

End of the day: German still would have won.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

the fa have issues this video to english players to avoid the criticism...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zekiZYSVdeQ
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

bunnyben wrote:the fa have issues this video to english players to avoid the criticism...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zekiZYSVdeQ
You made my morning. Thank you!

M
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

toomilk wrote:I don't like how the British media in South Africa is attempting to pin England's loss on something Fifa did. Sure there have been some bad calls throughout this world cup, but get over it - every team was effected. The press conference with the British media and a Fifa spokesperson was a shit show where the media was using Fifa as a scapegoat for their own doubts and insecurities over their team. Accusations towards Fifa for being an "international laughingstock" and "a joke" were really uncalled for and childish. Someone asked the spokesperson if he had any message for the disappointed England fans and it was met with a look of "what do you want me to say?"

End of the day: German still would have won.
If you looked at the media in this country you'll see that the press blame the players and manager, not FIFA, so I think you're very wrong here. Having said that the 'non-goal' was an appalling moment for football in general and for that FIFA are 100% to blame. They ARE a laughing stock, as are every football association I know - the English FA is a joke, UEFA are the worst with FIFA just behind. Blatter is a pompous and inept clown that likes his ego stroked with every kick of every game played. He is an oaf and needs to be got rid of but FIFA have a habit of appointing total idiots to run their association - does anyone remember João Havelange? Fuck me what a dickhead he was. The fact that football is so far behind sports like tennis and rugby on the technology front is TOTALLY the fault of FIFA. I have no respect for those people. Everyone in football bar the powers that be are in favour of introducing some sort of goal-line technology. The people who invented Hawk-Eye were on TV last night saying they'd been asked to develop a system for football and 6 months ago the plans were dropped.

I am not hiding the shoddy England performance behind this terrible decision - England have only themselves to blame for their early exist from the competition. Does anyone remember the Japan/South Korea World Cup? I think it was Spain who had 2 truly wretched decisions go against them when the ball went over the line. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I know one team did and it may have been in the same game.

Bottom line is football is a joke in terms of technology and it's FIFA's fault.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Blatter may be an arsehole,but when it comes to politics and keeping a firm hand on power he seems to rather more adept ,he seems to have Platini firmly in his pocket,
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Don't know about the rest of you but I'm hoping Ghana beat Uruguay and make it to the semis. At that point I can't realistically see Ghana beating either Holland or Brazil but stranger things have happened.

Argentina v Germany will be an excellent match as will Holland v Brazil.

Paraguay? What's to say, their ride ends here. I can't see them coming close to stopping Spain. More to the point, will they even score a goal?

Ultimately, I'd love to see Ghana go all the way but I know that's not realistic. So, I guess I'm rooting for the Dutch but they too have been known to self destruct in big games.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

niamhm wrote:Upson clearly isn`t WC class but as 3rd choice could surely have expected more help from his more experienced partner,
3rd?

after ferdinand, terry, king, carragher then maybe upson on a sunny day
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

runcible wrote:
toomilk wrote:
Bottom line is football is a joke in terms of technology and it's FIFA's fault.
nah. in french football in the last few years 2 clubs have announced at the beggining of the season that they'll be a few million (i think monaco were £5 mill) so both teams were relegated before the season as they did not prove they can opperate as a buisness. i know the french team this year was a bunch of bastards with inflated egos but remember recently they held the double (wc and euros) and they have a better record than england. so it is easy to blame fifa or platini or blatter but these men come from countires where the domestic game answers to the fa and clubs are run as buisnesses or not at all. then you have bayern and barce being clubs owned by the fans etc. the problem with english football? the premier league. too many little men standing around the soggy buiscuit. and the prem is too powerfull to be changed by anyone except themselves so aviour england we will never win another trophy until the game is brought under some kind of sanity...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i'm listening to a show on 5 live about the media and england. basically they are trying to work out what was wrong and they are all saying the same thing- cappello is a useless piece of **** and should be sacked and be replaced by an english manager. they fail to see the fact that we have a non english manager is because english managers aren't good enough and if they have potential they are quickly destroyed by the media. they are also saying theo walcott should have gone and was essential- were they saying that when sven said of his great poetenial

here's what i think the problem was...

Joe Hart (Manchester City)- not enough expereince
David James (Portsmouth)- makes mistakes
Robert Green (West Ham)- makes mistakes
Jamie Carragher (Liverpool)- past his best and doesn't care about england
Ashley Cole (Chelsea)- world class but lacks ambition
micheal dawson (spurs)- should have played
Glen Johnson (Liverpool)- 17 million so he must be good...right...?
Ledley King (Tottenham)- injured
John Terry (Chelsea)- the best thing about terry is Ricardo Carvalho
Matthew Upson (West Ham)- not international class
Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa)- potential for the future?
Gareth Barry (Manchester City)- big fish in a small pond (villa) shown up when asked to be a big fish in the sea
Michael Carrick (Manchester United)- overated
Joe Cole (Chelsea)- injured
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)- injured and played out of posistion
Frank Lampard (Chelsea)- missed ballack and is not a defensive midfielder
Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)- average
James Milner (Aston Villa)- was ill but potential ofr the future
Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City)- not good enough
Peter Crouch (Tottenham)- scores against small teams cannot play well in the big games
Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)- 3rd rate replacement for injured owen
Emile Heskey (Aston Villa)- cruely treated by teammates and the media, the only player to get the best out of rooney, owen etc
Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)- injured

as a collective- cannot play with any thing that requires imagination. cannot adapt from 4-4-2. only thime shown flexibility was under hoddle (3-5-2) whose priavte life ruined what could be a great carreer)

the one plus point

fabio cappello
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Brilliant match this morning btwn Holland vs. Brazil. Deep down inside I wanted Holland, however I thought Brazil were too tough to beat. As well, the internal strife btwn the Holland coach, Van Persie and Schneider were hard to ignore. Infighting can ruin the chemistry of a team. Brazil looked great in the first half, but then it slowly unraveled for them after that including the unwarranted kick with the cleat to one of the Dutch players on the ground that resulted in a red card.

Uraguay should beat Ghana. Holland should be able to defeat either of those two teams to go into the Finals.

And tomorrow's match will be a dandy as well btwn Germany and Argentina. I want Germany but it could go either way in that match.

Espana over Paraguay. And so it will be Espana vs. Germany/Argentina.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

cheating diving holland, could not beat brasil so spent the whole game jumping on their arses....disgusting, hope they get pasted in the next round
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I think by far, one of the best matches of the tournament between Ghana and Uraguay. WoW, the 120th minute and their was an apparent goal ..... until the handball by one of the Uraguan players and a missed penalty kick by Gyan. He should have made that !!! Brilliant.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:I think by far, one of the best matches of the tournament between Ghana and Uraguay. WoW, the 120th minute and their was an apparent goal ..... until the handball by one of the Uraguan players and a missed penalty kick by Gyan. He should have made that !!! Brilliant.
Agreed! What a fab match that was!!! Ghana should have won in the 120th min, then had two chances to equalize in the shoot out. Damn, I wish they had won but you can't miss three penalty kicks in a world cup game and expect to play another game.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

bunnyben wrote:cheating diving holland, could not beat brasil so spent the whole game jumping on their arses....disgusting, hope they get pasted in the next round
I didn't see it like that. Brazil were better in first half, the Dutch better in the second half. Pretty much an equal game but the decider was Melo's own goal.

Of the remaining teams I'd like Holland to win it all.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

bunnyben wrote:cheating diving holland, could not beat brasil so spent the whole game jumping on their arses....disgusting, hope they get pasted in the next round
were we watching the same game?.... Brazil f8cked up big style ,the first time in the tournament they come up against a decent side(we`ll forget the Portugal fiasco/non event) and they couldn`t take the pressure and lost all composure they were lucky only to have one player sent off and Holland should have scored five!!,
all said that was two of the best games of the tournament yesterday,hope for more of the same today.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Anybody else think the whole tournament has been a massive flop? Just not grabbing me like previous World Cups, maybe it's because of England's woeful performance or the shocking officials or the trumpets, or more likely because the only bet I have left standing is for Maradonna to get sent from the bench at some point in the tournament :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

watching germany vs argentina. germany are awesome! i love this young german team. great game (21 mins) so far
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

BVCP206 wrote:Anybody else think the whole tournament has been a massive flop?
Massive flop seems a bit harsh. It took awhile to really get going because of all the ties in the early group stages. I think, as you say, England's woeful performance has probably tarnished the tournament for you. The US kept us on the edge of our seats throughout all of their games, which was tense but also exciting. There have definitely been some great matches so far. Watching Germany v Argentina now and the Germans are so fast!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

BVCP, the WC is good this year, just like 4 yrs.ago. Sorry, England didn't make it, so maybe you don't have anyone to root for ? Great games yesterday and I disagree about the Dutch flopping, except for Robben who yesterday was mostly on his arse than on his feet w/ his suberb acting. The referees have been pretty good figuring out the the fake flops so far.

Germania comes roaring out of the gates and the Argentines are on their back heels for the moment.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Total carnage by the young Germans. I knew they were good but I didn't expect they would hold the Argies goaless nor did I expect they would rout them like they did. Eight goals in two games!

Spain had best watch out (sorry Paraguay, I can't see you stopping the Spainards)!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Great performance by the Germans today - really enjoyed it and glad to see the back of Maradona. It's not often I support Germany but they were quite excellent today and look good enough to win it. I hope it's the Dutch though.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

GERMAN ENGINEERING.

Argentina is a good team ( won 4 games, no draws, no ties ). Germany is tough - too many scorers on the team and they are YOUNG ! Ozil is a speedster with great potential in the future. Too many players that can make a difference - Klose, Podalska, Muller, Schweigten (spelling?). It's like a blitzkrieg attack, utterly suprised by the score, I thought it would be at least close.

Spain is inconsistent. Play great one game, next game okay. Fernando Torres is a liability and he is not in top form ? His career might be in jeopardy ( 2 major knee surgeries this year ) ? Only scorer is David Villa, however not enough to beat Germany. Spain is going to Paraguay today but that is where it ends.

It will be Holland vs. Germany. Germany will receive their fourth star.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I look forward to the next generation of fitba, played by merciless mechanoids who also have loads of 'special powers' at their disposal - bets are that Fifa will turn a blind eye to this kind of thing also.

Imagine the replays!
O P 8
NightWash
Site Admin

Post by NightWash »

spacemanrich wrote:[..] and they are YOUNG !
Yeah - finally we have a young team :) The last years showed that a experienced player alone wont make a game. I was really happy once i heard that Ballack was out because of that bad foul. Personally i think that this was the "best" that could happen - he sucks and he doesnt bring the team anywhere. He is just good enough to do some commercials here on tv.
[...]Klose, Podalska, Muller, Schweigten (spelling?).
Its Podolski and Schweinsteiger ;) And Müller also you wont find an ü easily on your keyboard :)

Well, after Brasil was kicked out by the netherlands i think that germany has a really good chance to make the World Cup this year. Sure the other teams are good but theyre somehow "beatable" (hope you know what i mean) and not a horror-amost-ever-great team like Brasil.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Still 20+ min in regulation time but fair dues to the Paraguayan defense. A goal for them against ANY team seems to be so much effort though.

Spain...for fucks sake how often they choke in situations like this! Germany must be feeling good about their chances to make the final.
NightWash
Site Admin

Post by NightWash »

The curse of spain - they can play so great...like born with the ball. And then theyre standing in front of an empty goal and fail! Thats why they tend to lose even if theyre playing better. They dont use their chances - only one of many at the moment. So 1:0 for spain.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Jesus, it wasn't easy for Spain, was it?

Germany annihilated three teams. One has to favor them over the Spanish.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

redcloud wrote:Jesus, it wasn't easy for Spain, was it?

Germany annihilated three teams. One has to favor them over the Spanish.
As this tournament has proved footballs a funny game ,if everthing went as it should on paper we`d all be in and out the bookies and be millionaires,wouldn`t surprise me if a struggling Spain were to beat Germany , not that i`m saying it will happen ,but I wouldn`t risk money either way ,certainly don`t see the Spanish rolling over like Argentina did this afternoon,can`t agree with anyone slagging of the tournament as a whole ,memorable games are starting to really stack up,
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

WoW what a goal by the Spaniards ! David Villa was at the right spot at the right time. Still, neverless, Spain looked ' flat ' andI was not impressed. A lot of miss passes and really doesn't seem to have that chemistry. They are spotty and inconsistent. Germany is a well-oiled machine where in the 3 out of 5 games they have scored (4) goals ! Usually, when a team scores 1 or 2 goals they become complacent and play " keep away " with the ball, however Germany still attacks when they were up 3-0 and it was the 87th minute. They don't let up !!! I guess they wanted to shove it down the throat of the Argentines ( the hotheads ). Gabriel Heinze is a fucking twat, he was pissed the entire game and kept on arguing with the referee for really non-calls.

Oezil can't be older than 20 years old ? Muller is 20 and Klose is the dinosaur at 32. Yeah, the team is much better without Ballack.

The Italian press called the Italian soccer team " a country for old men " - they fielded (9) players who were over 30 years old ! Youth helps. Spain is in trouble :oops:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

don't forget the likes of muller got bayern to the final of the champs league and nearly completed the treble (anyone else anoyed with the brit media spelling it mueller, for example, when there is an accented letter). i'm really impressed with this german team and i hope they win 'cos they deserve it.

the spain game, 3 penalties, shoulda been 4! hit the post 3 times before the ball goes in! the first 60odd mins were dull then it became a very interesting game! maybe it appears dull as the likes of kaka and rooney, torres and messi etc haven't hit the heights but i'm enjoying all these semi unknowns (ozeil, muller, suarez etc) coming to the fore. it's a ashame muller is suspended for the semi :(
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Well, with in English language, instead of using the umlauts, you add and 'e' to the end of the letter, thus changing 'Ü' to a "UE". Therefore MÜLLER becomes MUELLER and so on so forth...(it's an English language thing...so not just Brit....maybe because it's the forth of july i'm expressing my aversion to pro-American things by including them in this little variance!)

And maybe it's just me (mind you, I don't know much about this World Cup especially if you noticed my comment on this thread about the British media's reaction to England getting knocked out...which I now correct to some extent because of runcible's comments...but mark, please excuse me because my limited access to non-American world cup coverage comes from FSN (Fox Soccer Network) which replays Sky News segments on the tournament...from which i've assembled little opinions in my little head..........but I really wish we'd start talking about hockey again!!!!),

BUT(T)

I think Germany have shown the most potential in this world cup. And I'm going completely based on shot-handling. Supposedly (from small american articles and friends' comments) the balls used in this WC are harder to handle when being shot at a normal speed. That said, I think Germany have 'cracked' the code...they seem to handle and shoot the ball better than any other team. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on them. I still think their 4-0 win over Argentina was a special circumstance though...should have been closer if the Arg defense got their head out of their asses(!!), but I thought Germany would have come out on top.

Sorry if I've offended more people. I'm American. These are my thoughts about a sport I played 12 years ago (I'm 24 now).
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

toomilk wrote: the balls used in this WC are harder to handle when being shot at a normal speed. That said, I think Germany have 'cracked' the code...they seem to handle and shoot the ball better than any other team. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on them. I still think their 4-0 win over Argentina was a special circumstance though...should have been closer if the Arg defense got their head out of their asses(!!), but I thought Germany would have come out on top.

Sorry if I've offended more people. I'm American. These are my thoughts about a sport I played 12 years ago (I'm 24 now).
germany are the only team to have played with the ball pre-tournament yet regardless they are still playing wonderful football. the movemnet has nothing to do with the ball
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

A lot have been said about the ball and that it doesn't go where you want it to go, etc., etc., etc. The ball is the SAME for all the teams and the ones making the complaint(s) are players that are sponsored by Nike - the evil company :oops: . I don't own one single pair of nikes and an avid Adidas fan. The first round of games were low scoring, because players were nervous and timid, but as the games progressed, scoring hasn't been a problem for some teams. I think it can be a conspiracy theory : Adidas is German company and the German team is scoring like mad. I'll let you debate that ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:A lot have been said about the ball and that it doesn't go where you want it to go, etc., etc., etc. The ball is the SAME for all the teams and the ones making the complaint(s) are players that are sponsored by Nike - the evil company :oops: . I don't own one single pair of nikes
Don't be too harsh on Nike. It's probably one of the few companies here in Oregon that is helping to keep Portland alive during the Great Recession!. If it (or Intel) were to close or move out of Portland we would become the next Flint/Detroit (or any numerous upstate NY towns after GE left town). No, I don't work for Nike but it's not a pretty thought as this state and this city is struggling real bad right now. Coincidentally, Adidas also has a US base here in Portland.

Aside from that rather random sidenote, I think the teams who are complaining about the ball were on the losing end and are clutching at straws. Fact...they simply were not good enough.

Uruguay have no Suarez in the semi. Either way, I like Holland in that one.

Spain v Germany is too close to call but judging by their last two performances I have to lean towards the Germans.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

So that's the Dutch in the final then. God I hate their modern orange kit. I liked their old orange kit as it was a good tone, orange but muted. Watching them play in their newer orange kit is like the colour/contrast/brightness thingy on my TV has gone wrong. It's horrible and as such doesn't make me love the Dutch team like I once did but I'm glad they beat the Suarez championing Uruguayans and glad the 2nd Dtch goal had a touch of controversy about it. Shame there was no shot of Suarez on the bench at the end looking all miffed. Couple of cracking goals to open up the scoring and a very nervy final couple of minutes where +3 minutes became +4.5.

So then, Spain v Germany. Will it be more than just Villa v Germany? Stop him and the Germans should have it in the bag. Spain haven't really played to their best yet but neither have Holland and look at them. Should be a very interesting game.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Dutch kit is pretty crap ,the thing that looks worst to me is the numbers ,the straight lines ,looks like someone ripped up some black masking tape and stuck them on like we did as kids ,or was that just me?

well done to Spain ,just edging out Germany,the Germans just coming up short against the best team they`ve met so far which put England and Argentina`s chances of ever winning this WC in a more realistic light ie they never had one ! pre tournament hype can be so seductive.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

That was a great header that gave Spain the goal. You could see a Spanish goal coming it was just a matter of when. Spain owned the ball today and Germany had little spark possibly due to not having Muller.

Should be a good final and nice to see two teams in it who have never won it before.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

anyone else fed up with the constant 'suarez blah blah'. he handled the ball to try to stop his team getting knocked out. he was foolish for he got sent off and the other team had a free shot from 12 yards to score. they missed. why isn't anyone saying 'the ghanian player should be blamed, how can you miss from 12 yards?' fools, also the amount of people saying that rooney slagging off the england fans and terry trying to rebell against the manager are signs of passion. nope, sorry, if thatr is passion then 2 year old children throwing their dinner onto the floor because they can't have sweets is passion, they should be on the pitch playing for england! another thing really anoying me is the Xenophobia that is becoming more acceptable 'how can a foreigner be incharge of england! when they cannot speak the language fluidly ' um, have you ever heard the average football player in an interview? 'rooney kick ball and run very fast' ' you ********* ***** you run after the ****** ball who the ***** do you think you are in my ********** country, go and boo us you ******* ***** like those ******* fans who get ********** off when they pay 1000s to xome and watch us be ********* all over by a team we should beat in our ********* sleep'

i shouldn't continue now :wink: but i feel that england and the premiership etc are trying to kill my love of football. i wish i could get la legia through the radio. beautiful technical football and by and large egos kept at the door. does messi go in the media and say 'xavi slept with my g/f' or 'busquets won't pass me the ball enough' he gave ibrahimavich the ball after he won a penalty and now with jose jump at real, times will be fun!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Sorry but this has to go down as the worst WC ever. Have either of the fianlists produced anything 'above average' to get there? Shame that a tournament will be remembered most for a handball in the last minute of a game. :(
'Remember, change is not good'