World Cup thread (had to happen!)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

World Cup thread (had to happen!)

Post by runcible »

I'm sure we'll be talking about this so I started a thread.

I just watched most of the South Africa Mexico game. Very entertaining actually, particularly the second half. A fantastic goal from the South Africans - Tshabalala took it beautifully but it was a great move too. They'd been second best up to that but almost went 2-0 up and almost won it at the end after Mexico deservedly equalised.

Anyway - great way to start the competition and I'm delighted South Africa didn't lose which seemed what everyone thought would happen. I had fun teasing my eldest that Mexico had one of The Jonas Brothers playing for them (she's obsessed with those guys) in the form of Torrado.
Laz69
Known user

Re: World Cup thread (had to happen!)

Post by Laz69 »

Patchy start to the game with the Mexicans looking the most dangerous, but the passing on both sides left a lot to be desired. Second half was much better and SA were getting into a bit of a rhythm with quick passing and excellent skills. Thought they thoroughly deserved the goal (which was a absolute PEACH!) by that point and hoped they would hold off for a victory, but full marks to Mexico for not giving up and taking the opportunity to equalise when they had it given to them on a plate.

Can't wait for the next game now! This is the perfect antidote to that Big Brother shit thats also just started.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Wish I could get that 2 hours of my life back. On the bright side I don't think anyone need worry about France too much. *yawn*

SA vs. Mexico was a cracker.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The France game was bloody dreadful ,really poor ,and oh the irony of Henry trying to claim for a dubious hand ball for a late penalty the cheating bastard ,hoped their campaign would finish in miserable failure ever since they qualified..
The opening game was pretty enjoyable the first goal was indeed a peach,but what about those horns ? the vuvuzelas, my wife wanted to turn the sound off as she found it so irritating .... she should listen to some more drone sounds probably start to enjoy it anyway looking forward to todays games South Korea are leading a pretty woeful looking Greece 2-0,gonna chill some pear cider for tonight ,seems to be my poison of choice recently excellant with plenty ice in the warm weather.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

The Argentina/Nigeria game was patchy. If it wasn't for the Nigerian keeper the score.would have been a lot higher than 1-0. Argentina were strangely ineffective at times....
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i think they were exhausted by the altitude. england have just scored. game over? i hope not. anyway off to see mcculloch tonight so hope i don't miss much
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That England USA game was immensely frustrating from the England point of view. The USA scored with one of their weakest attempts (should have scored a couple of others!) and a terrible goalkeeping error. The main credit I'll give them was for shutting Rooney out until the last 15 minutes - that's impressive. He did very little til then. As for Lampard's performance until then... pull yourself together you twat - what a shambles he was. Not often I'll say Heskey was England's best player but he was excellent for almost all of the game, Gerrard also played well, Lennon looked superb, as did Wright-Phillips, a couple of moments from Johnson. Touch of other stuff too.

Anyway, I guess it makes it all the more interesting for the neutral. A warranted point for the USA despite being obviously second best and playing for time for a lot of the second half.

Is it me or is the coverage abysmal? The amount of cut-outs, replays and slow motion shite that barged into the actual game was truly awful. Slow-motion shots of a goalkeeper grimacing, Capello waving his hand or 2 feet colliding were 100% pointless. I found myself shouting at the TV in frustration more at that than England failing to nail the game.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

One of the few punters with my England shirt on filled w/ Americans who don't know anything about futbol, etc. rooting for their team. I bet that 80% of the punters can't even name two American players on the pitch.

I dunno, it seemed like an easy ball to handle ( with no real velocity ), I just think Green mistook the situation and that goal should have not been conceded. It is what it is, but I liked how the English attacked in the second half w/ a possible (2) goals. Have to hand it to Howard who played a great match.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Yeah Rooney was particularly quiet, the lampard/Gerrard conundrum after a decade remains unresolved ,and a draw isn`t to bad a result,always thought this would be a tough test for England,but 6 points still up for grabs,does cappello change the keeper after the howler(man that was f8ckin bad).
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: I bet that 80% of the punters can't even name two American players on the pitch.
Too easy to assume, dude. Not sure why Europe immediately thinks Americans are all clueless about "futbol". It's attitudes like that that make European nations look even more humiliated when we beat or tie you on the national level. "Soft goal", "second best", whatever. It all means shit when the "superior" team doesn't win the match.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Hmm...after 5 games I've decided that when the immediate hype of the build-up/ceremonies lulls the remains are matches of poor standard.
The France Uruguay game was awful with my 6yr old saying at the end of it "Daddy, I wish I hadn't watched that".
I don't think you can blame Uruguay as the momentum should've been with France but they were tactically inept.
I dunno if coaches see the opener as a musn't lose match but some of the tactics/formations and line-ups have been to that end.

I'm just about to rewatch the England USA game again. I've got money on England and I was shocked at there opener.
I didn't expect a central midfield of Lampard & Gerrard...which is proven regardless of how good these two players are...to not function. Lennon is indecisive except one (possibly two) times when he the by-line. His instinct to deliver a clinical final ball is just not there...Beckham please have a word. Milner for me was a surprise inclusion; was Joe Cole injured as for me the spark was missing in the final third. Agree that Rooney was quiet and was shadowed well (i'd imagine Bradley senior had given a directive to Bradley junior to pick Rooney up when he came short). I also think that the switch to 2 wingers after 30 mins denied Rooney space to roam. Rooney plays the channels well but with Lennon on one side SWP on the other he only had a small occupied space to move in. Defensively; I don't think they were too troubled although the lightning quick striker did give a few scares. Absolutely not convinced by Johnson; I think his high value move to Liverpool elevated his status more than his game did. I think Capello may need to look at Carragher there if he sticks with Lennon as better teams will expose this weakness.
Interesting that the media have jumped on the howler aspect of the USA goal. Sure the goal keeper did make a mess of it buit Dempsey with the turning arc of a boeing 747 beat Gerrard on the edge of the box this is where that phase of play should've been nullified.
I know people will be satisfied with an opening match point but I think an opportunity has been sorely missed. I expect a win for Slovenia today and going into the final group matches...3 teams (USA, England & Slovenia) all on 4 points. Squeaky bum time then. England need to hammer Algeria at least by 4 goals I'd imagine to qualify as winners...and they need to qualify as winners to progress to at least the QF's.

However the problem I see currently is that there is little quality to alter the formation much from a 4-4-2. Even if they play Barry (when fit) as a holding midfielder and sacrifice either left wing/second striker it would probably mean Joe Cole on the left and Rooney up top on his own. Playing Rooney up top on his own may not be suited as the service he gets from England is different to that of his club. Unless Capello decides to go with Carrick who can pass a ball 60 yards at speed to setup attacks. I think Capello will stick with a 4-4-2 for the Algeria match and hope that Gerrard and Lampard can dominate and be incisive. Which is a big ask against a team that will inevitably flood the midfield much as USA did.

I think this team could destroy Algeria;

Hart
Carragher King Terry A Cole
Carrick
Lennon/SWP Gerrard Lampard J Cole
Rooney

Anyway, away to study last nights game

B,
S.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

Did any of you guys watch the England match on ITV HD? I dont like watching ITV anyway, after last night it just re-enforces my dislike of them! Amateurs , amateurs as some great man said!!!! SOME ONE has to lose their job over that major fuck up!! AS for the result.................. :( :( :(
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

My mate watched it on ITV HD too. He was livid....

Yeah, kind of disappointing all round. As a picture is worth 1000 words...
http://i50.tinypic.com/nqces.jpg
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

redcloud wrote:
spacemanrich wrote: I bet that 80% of the punters can't even name two American players on the pitch.
Too easy to assume, dude. Not sure why Europe immediately thinks Americans are all clueless about "futbol". It's attitudes like that that make European nations look even more humiliated when we beat or tie you on the national level. "Soft goal", "second best", whatever. It all means shit when the "superior" team doesn't win the match.
Blame that on the media in the US. For so many years they poked fun at soccer. Ridiculed it really. Jim Rome especially, until Eric Wynalda would call up and take him to task for his idiotic comments and you could literally hear him buckle to Wynalda.
"No one watches. No one cares" blah blah blah.
Right, until now because ESPN is so heavily mortgaged in this World Cup(and the Premiership). They suck. They think they rule sports. And many times think they are the show like that jackass Stuart Scott or any number of the Sportscenter hosts. Having said all that maybe US sports fans are sheep. I saw a lot of folks watching the game yesterday at several bars around where a friend of mine and I opened a shop. And I will always be a US fan first. I'd love to see England win. Actually do something in a World Cup except at the expense of the US team.

My name is Spzretent and I am a xenophobe! :D
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: Blame that on the media in the US.
No, it has nothing to do with the US media. People in Europe don't watch US media.

It's an arrogance that Europeans have, which is somewhat understanding because soccer has taken far too long to catch on over here and the MLS is not of the same quality as European or SA soccer clubs. But neither is Australia, NZ, Asia or Africa yet, it's quick to poke fun at USA because we're an easy target. However, the joke falls flat because soccer has caught on and we're not as clueless nor are we as shite as Europeans believe.

The funny thing is, all the ridiculing and banter the US team receives makes it all the more fun when we beat and or tie you. Personally, I would choose to waste that energy ridiculing England's goalkeeper who made a horrendous and downright embarassing mistake that cost England 3 points!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

redcloud wrote:
spzretent wrote: Blame that on the media in the US.
No, it has nothing to do with the US media. People in Europe don't watch US media.

It's an arrogance that Europeans have, which is somewhat understanding because soccer has taken far too long to catch on over here and the MLS is not of the same quality as European or SA soccer clubs. But neither is Australia, NZ, Asia or Africa yet, it's quick to poke fun at USA because we're an easy target. However, the joke falls flat because soccer has caught on and we're not as clueless nor are we as shite as Europeans believe.

The funny thing is, all the ridiculing and banter the US team receives makes it all the more fun when we beat and or tie you. Personally, I would choose to waste that energy ridiculing England's goalkeeper who made a horrendous and downright embarassing mistake that cost England 3 points!
Your very wrong about people in Europe not watching American media. They are quite on top of what is going on.

Actually, it "caught" on so many time in North America that I see it failing again in the future.(Even Beckham cannot)

Yes, the media in the US does ridicule the sport because it is not Americas sport like baseball, american football and basketball.

hmmm. What else... England did outplay Americans but it ended in a tie by Howard stealing the show on the American side.

On another note. Ghana vs Serbia was a good match. Wish Serbia had won it but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

B,

M
Design.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

MODLAB wrote: Your very wrong about people in Europe not watching American media. They are quite on top of what is going on.
Are you saying to me that people in England were watching the World Cup on ESPN rather than ITV or the BBC?

Even if they were, ESPN has brought in English and Scottish commentators for the Cup. Because of this the ESPN commentators were ragging on England after that botched attempt at a save.

Doesn't matter if a team was outplayed when the end result is the same, right?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote: I would choose to waste that energy ridiculing England's goalkeeper who made a horrendous and downright embarassing mistake that cost England 3 points!
Seeing as you are all correcting each other I'll dive in here and say that Green's error actually cost England two points rather than three.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

redcloud wrote:
MODLAB wrote: Your very wrong about people in Europe not watching American media. They are quite on top of what is going on.
Are you saying to me that people in England were watching the World Cup on ESPN rather than ITV or the BBC?
What I class as American media and watching American media are the news channels that's available over here in Europe, not a sports broadcaster. Naturally people in England will watch the World Cup on ITV and BBC. Why wouldn't they?
What more can the heart of a man desire?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

MODLAB wrote: Actually, it "caught" on so many time in North America that I see it failing again in the future.(Even Beckham cannot)

No, George Best, Pele, David Beckham are not the saviours of soccer in America. It's obvious we do not want used up players who are far from their prime. What America needs are USA born soccer stars who choose to play the game in America and not Europe. A generation of kids growing up with American soccer stars next to their football, baseball and basketball heroes will raise the game to a whole new level.

Also, each region has a different interest in the sport. Here in the US part of the Pacific Northwest, soccer is huge while ice hockey is not. Where spzretent lives ice hockey is hugely popular while in Texas and the deep south college football reigns supreme.

Our country with its different regions is far more complicated socially, politically & culturally than you may think.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yes, Spztent you are partially correct. America just has too many sports to follow and for the exception of baseball, they are high scoring i.e.- basketball,football.

ESPN has definately become a monster, an evil one at that. They now pretty much control all of sports coverage, especially now w/ the acquisition of ABC. They are now the new evil empires along w/ Google and Apple.

Right now it is a halftime of the Germany vs. Australia match. Germany is a well-oiled machine and the header by Klose was beautiful. Germany looks terrific, neverless it is a lesser opponent. It could have been 3 or 4 to nil in the first half.

Spain is going to win the World Cup ( in my opinion ), but don't count out Germany, Argentina and maybe Holland. I have yet to see Italia play.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

redcloud wrote:
MODLAB wrote: Actually, it "caught" on so many time in North America that I see it failing again in the future.(Even Beckham cannot)

No, George Best, Pele, David Beckham are not the saviours of soccer in America. It's obvious we do not want used up players who are far from their prime. What America needs are USA born soccer stars who choose to play the game in America and not Europe. A generation of kids growing up with American soccer stars next to their football, baseball and basketball heroes will raise the game to a whole new level.

Also, each region has a different interest in the sport. Here in the US part of the Pacific Northwest, soccer is huge while ice hockey is not. Where spzretent lives ice hockey is hugely popular while in Texas and the deep south college football reigns supreme.

Our country with its different regions is far more complicated socially, politically & culturally than you may think.

You might not know this but i've lived in the USA for hmmm around 18 years. 12 years in Canada and 9 years in Europe.
Even went to a handful of cosmos matches.

So I would know the diversity in the US. Actually one of the largest problems in the US regarding football/soccer is that in the US it is played mostly in middle to upper class areas. Poorer areas do not give a rats ass for football/soccer. Once the US figures out a way to put bling in the game it might catch on. Sadly, I don't think it will.

Anyhoo, the Germs are winning. The wife is happy.

M
Design.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

MODLAB, it's all good. For what its worth, my wife is English. So I know a thing or two about the UK.

I am glad you have some clue about us and not just another person jumping on the bandwagon with anti-American shit when really, they have no clue about our country.

After awhile, the anti-American sentiment gets very exhausting and is often very shallow in its criticism. Most need to look at themselves before casting judgement on others. Trust me, I know us Americans are as guilty as everybody else when it comes to judgments. The xenophobic, anti-American trend though is based much on ignorance but some of the shit I read and hear borders on racism. Had an American written it that is exactly what they would be accused of.

On a different note, your wife must be very happy with Germany's result against Australia.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Don't know what you mean ' bling ' for soccer ? Make it more ghetto like the NBA where 90% of the players are sporting tattoos ? Maybe rap music for pre-game show, maybe a special appearance by Jay Z and 50 Cents ? Now I see a little trickling affect of american influence across the pond w/ tats by Beckham, Mattazarro(spelling?), Cahill, etc.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My point, albeit 8 hours ago, is this:
For 20 or so years soccer has been considered a joke by the major US sports media. They tear it down all they can. Not enough scoring. Too boring. It is a middle to upper class sport here. We dont have kids who's dreams are to grow up and play professional soccer. Maybe to get a scholarship to college. Not like the kids who want to grow up to play pro basketball, baseball or football. And I do think the major US sports media is too blame for this. Add to that, if you took the 4 major professional sports in the US and rolled them into one it would be the equivalent to any European countries World Cup team. Its simply so big that no one in the US could grasp that. US sports fans have a lot more options.
But, like anyone who seeks out great music, beer, wine or whatever, stereotypes like d-bags at ESPN(and belive me UK people they are megalomaniacal douchebags) would have you believe they know all. And the last word ends with them. But fans with a brain and who care will find alternate ways to watch.
So here we are in 2010 and EPSN are ramming the World Cup down our throats because they are televising it here. Its a joke. When the World Cup was in S Korea/Japan I used to regularly watch matches on Univision(hispanic network and I dont speak enough Spanish to catch anything at the rate is is spoken conversationally). Even the last World Cup in Germany they didn't even send announcers. They sat in Connecticut doing commentary off a televison feed.
Having said all this, after the sting of England pissing away 2 points, the draw meant a lot more to the US. Somewhere down the line, if they get out of this group their popularity will soar here. And that can only be a good thing. England should have no problem getting out of this group. I'd hate to be their next opponent.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Strangely, with all the complaints about ESPN, every game I have watched has had Adrian Healey or a Scot commentating, So they know what they're talking about. I have the Holland v Denmark game on now and it's Healey commentating again. I don't listen to the half time analysis so their dribble is not wasted air here. I also watched ESPN Latino for the Mexican game with commentary in Spanish. Personally, I think ESPN are doing a much better job than NBC did with the Olympics. Now THAT was frustrating to watch (and biased)!

Is the greed of one channel broadcasting the Cup not the needle in every country's ass? Seems that Sky Sports often nabs things in England, which pisses people off.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It isn't the play by play commentary which is fine. It is the Sportscenter placement of the importance of the W Cup and that they are total hypocrites.
Ruud Gullit and Jurgen Klinsman are good choices too for post game analysis.
I guess the bottom line is my feelings towards ESPN and how they think they are bigger than sports in general and anytime I get to take a pop at them i do. And I just think its a joke how much they are pushing the World Cup this year.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

redcloud wrote: What America needs are USA born soccer stars who choose to play the game in America and not Europe. A generation of kids growing up with American soccer stars next to their football, baseball and basketball heroes will raise the game to a whole new level.

It's interesting reading you guys talk about how different regions in America take to different sports and how much choice there is. I'd say it would be wrong to think the American national football/soccer team would be better off without upcoming stars appearing in European leagues. That's where the best players in the world ply their trade and that's a major factor in your young players improving. Clearly it will not be an overnight thing but long term it would really strengthen the game in America.

I don't think anyone doubted all the differences as you pointed out.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

US players are definitely making inroads into the Premiership. It does show the players from the US are getting much better.
There are huge regional differences here. In Michigan ice hockey is huge. It is a coldweather region much like Minnesota, Illinois not to mention Canada to the north where it is their national sport.
Basketball(Pro) is much more of an urban sport,
College basketball, College football, Major League baseball and NFL Football are HUGE everywhere!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

spzretent wrote:Canada to the north where it is their national sport.
B
Nope. Lacrosse.

Hockey is the adopted national sport.

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I stand corrected! :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

was the free flowing ,attacking demolition of the Australians 4-0 by the Germans slightly worrying viewing from an English point of view? Germany looked very good with lots of young players on their first finals,how do the Aussies compare to the USA? can`t really say ,probably the USA are slightly better but not that much ,

certainly the English don`t have their problems to seek ,in fact they seem to be mounting up,time for Cappello to step up to the plate and show he`s worth his £6 million a yr.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

A decent game would be nice. The only change from relentless mediocrity has been Germany steamrollering the poor Ozzies...
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

How about the differences in South Africa, specifcally between the national football/soccer and cricket teams. It's a telling picture, and not a new one.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Last thing I wanted was a text off Eric going on about the usa "having a draw" in the "soccer". Honestly...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shaun wrote: I'd say it would be wrong to think the American national football/soccer team would be better off without upcoming stars appearing in European leagues. That's where the best players in the world ply their trade and that's a major factor in your young players improving.
I agree with the crux of what you are saying. But, if our best players go to Europe it will not help the face of the game HERE. Most kids will only get to know the players when the National side play as time differences, cable tv packages, internet access etc. will hinder them from watching and growing up with these players. Thus, they will always be in the shadow of the American football, baseball and basketball stars.

As a father of a nine year old boy, it means more to a kid from Portland to grow up with their icon playing on an American team, preferably the local side, and not Manchester Utd. or Chelsea. If the players go to England it's more difficult for kids to relate because it's harder for them to follow their team. Maybe, as they get older it's easier to have that separation but by then it may be too late. The foundation of the sport needs to become more competitive here so that we can, one day, compete with the European leagues. The better we do in the WC the more incentive there may be for young players to stay.

My son is enjoying watching his first WC, though. He sat down the other day with a world map and learned the geography of the 32 nations, drew and colored all their flags and made his own bracket-choosing England to win it all against Spain. He's now exerting his national pride and revelling that he has two teams because Mom is English and Dad is American.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

did you know for under 17s football or 'soccer' is the second most participated sport in the us, after basketball
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

problem is after 17 yr olds. the drop off is huge.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

redcloud wrote:My son is enjoying watching his first WC, though. He sat down the other day with a world map and learned the geography of the 32 nations, drew and colored all their flags and made his own bracket-choosing England to win it all against Spain. He's now exerting his national pride and revelling that he has two teams because Mom is English and Dad is American.
Similar story here, our son is 5 and so this is the first WC that he's actually aware of. His loyalties are split 3 ways though, England and Italy through dad & mum, and New Zealand as he was born out there and has citizenship.

Of course, we've had a quiet word and established where his loyalties really do lie :wink: (and mum doesn't read this board!)

Post by runcible »

There hasn't been a genuinely great game so far which is rather disappointing. Germany have played the best although Brazil scored the best goal in tonight's unconvincing victory over North Korea - normally I'd be a softy for the underdogs but it's hard when it's North Korea and the way the people there have to live.

We need a thrilling contest to get things going.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

runcible wrote:There hasn't been a genuinely great game so far which is rather disappointing. Germany have played the best although Brazil scored the best goal in tonight's unconvincing victory over North Korea - normally I'd be a softy for the underdogs but it's hard when it's North Korea and the way the people there have to live.

Got to agree the majority of matches so far have been pretty cagey stuff ,gonna put it down to fear of losing the first match as that makes it pretty hard to qualify if your not the seeded team ,but once we get to the second round of games things should hopefully open up a bit ,all these teams with one point need to get a win on the board and anyone unlucky enough to have lost def. need the win, so fingers crossed for a more lively second round of games!!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:problem is after 17 yr olds. the drop off is huge.
This is my point exactly. If they had American heroes and stars playing on American sides those 17 year olds may choose to continue with the sport.

Also, I'd like to know the ethnic breakdown of those 17 year olds. At the high school where my son will attend their varsity soccer team is 90% Latino.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

runcible wrote:There hasn't been a genuinely great game so far which is rather disappointing. Germany have played the best although Brazil scored the best goal in tonight's unconvincing victory over North Korea - normally I'd be a softy for the underdogs but it's hard when it's North Korea and the way the people there have to live.

do you mean Brazils first goal? looked good, but he didnt mean it
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

solarflarez wrote: do you mean Brazils first goal? looked good, but he didnt mean it
That's what I thought at first but he hit it WAY too hard for it to have been a cross I reckon. It was a thumper.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

look at his eyes in the replay, he looks up to see whos in the box, it was a crazy swerve though!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

all in all it was an awful cross. i liked korea's goal. but similar to ru i can't help feeling that n.korea should not be there yet it's great for the players to be able to play. it's a hard one to get ones head around
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

spacemanrich wrote:Don't know what you mean ' bling ' for soccer ? Make it more ghetto like the NBA where 90% of the players are sporting tattoos ? Maybe rap music for pre-game show, maybe a special appearance by Jay Z and 50 Cents ? Now I see a little trickling affect of american influence across the pond w/ tats by Beckham, Mattazarro(spelling?), Cahill, etc.
For me the World Cup has been a bore so far, apart from the Germany game. The horns are a bit annoying but are part of the culture so shouldn't be banned or anything. Fully expect to see them infiltrate the football and cricket grounds next season (I'm hoping one gets blown at the Crucible). The 2nd lot of games should produce a better spectacle with hopefully not so many games ending in a frustrating 'tie', or as us Brits would say a 'draw' (I jest of course, it's not an anti American racist point of view :wink: ). Not so sure about the New York Post's 'USA Wins 1-1, Greatest Tie Against The British Since Bunker Hill' headline. British?? Britain = England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland. And how can you 'tie' a war?? Hahaha. Also our Dame Helen Mirren blathering on Letterman about how she was glad we didn't win because of the BP oil spill and how shameful it would've felt wasn't so great either. It's a game of football dear!! She referred to us as the British team as well. Deary me........ stick to being the Queen, Helen.

England were the same old England against the USA. Bright opening then nothing much. Lampard and Rooney were still in the dressing room. Heskey is a big man who can hold up the ball but he is a striker so should be able to slot the ball home in a one on one situation with the goalie. I think he was quoted as saying Howard was lucky because it hit him square in the body. Erm, no Heskey, you're just a woeful player in front of goal mate. Blaming Green for a loss of two points is a joke when you look at the overall performance. It's like saying we were happy to have it stay 1-0 with no chance of scoring again. Carragher had some old legs on him but has the big game experience so it's a toughie whether to have him play the next game or not. I'd say give Upson a game but then I'm a West Ham man so would say that. Algeria is a must win game and anything less would be shameful considering the 'talent' we have in the team. Great players except when they put on an England shirt. I hope to eat those words pretty soon.

N.Korea made Brazil look a bit ordinary for a while last night didn't they. Glad they scored a late consolation goal and overall I think they played pretty well, esp against the worlds top team. Not so sure about Dunga's 'Das Boot' outfit.

Only found out the other night that my wife rather fancies Buffon, quoting him as being fit. But then she also likes Rio Ferdinand as well. I'm confused. I'm also confused about my feelings whenever I see those posters with the Italian team greased and buffed up in their D&G underpants :wink: .

C'mon the Ghana!! (my work sweepstake team)
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

from bbc website

"

It took a moment of inspiration in the 50th minute from full-back Maicon to break the deadlock, firing a superb goal with the outside of his right boot from an acute angle to beat goalkeeper

"I thought of everything which I went through to get to this moment," reflected the Inter Milan defender.

"It was my first World Cup match, I didn't cry but I was very happy with the goal I scored.

"It is important to start with a victory and we did it. It was a good step toward our goal of being in the final on 11 July."

Maicon's goal at first seemed a touch fortuitous but Dunga insisted it was no fluke.

"We have training drills and I can tell you it's not the first goal that Maicon has scored in this fashion," stated Dunga.

"It's not so much an error by the goalkeeper but creativity on the part of Maicon. Yes, the goalkeeper could have stayed [on his line] but he anticipated that the ball was going to be crossed.""
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

"Football fans in North Korea will have to wait until today to see any action from their 2-1 loss to Brazil. While the match was on, they were treated to the delights of Echo of Mountain, a comedy based on farmers' attempts to boost grain output. (Daily Telegraph) "
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

johnnyboy wrote: Britain = England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland.
I thought Great Britain = England, Scotland & Wales only (not N.Ireland). While the United Kingdom includes all of the above (GB) + Northern Ireland.

That's what I learned in my Geography class, anyway.

Isn't that also the reason why you do not enter a soccer team in the Olympics (because in international soccer you play as the respected territories/countries while in the Olympics you compete as GB)?
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Ah well, been a while since my last Geography lesson and I typed one country too many in my rush to put down all my blatherings before ye olde boss man caught me on the internet......blah blah blah excuses excuses. Either way, USA played England not Britain. No excuses for bad journalism (even though our very own tabloids are full of it). Spread the good word over there seeing is you seem to hold good knowledge about footie, and geography as well of course (ta for todays lesson).

No idea about why Team GB don't play "soccer" at the Olympics. Could be something to do with it not being worth the effort or clashing with the pre-season preparations or to do with money or sponsorships or the Scots not wanting to play with the English, who knows. Personally I'm not bothered about soccer at the Olympics, same with tennis, but I'll ask Seb Coe next time he pops round for a cup of tea.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Spain vs Switzerland is the best match yet.
Still going on!

M
Design.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Bit of a suprise w/ the Spain vs. Swiss match. The Spaniards had crisp passing in the first half w/ hardly any attacks. The second half opened up w/ both teams attacking. Couple of missed chances for Spain, but the backfield proved to a little porous. Two more games in the first round, so no worries yet.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

johnnyboy wrote: England were the same old England against the USA. Bright opening then nothing much. Lampard and Rooney were still in the dressing room.
I read that Rooney touched the ball just once in the first 15 minutes and that was after 4 seconds. Hardly impressive although the rest of the team need to get the ball to him of course. That's another criticism.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

johnnyboy wrote:Ah well, been a while since my last Geography lesson and I typed one country too many in my rush to put down all my blatherings before ye olde boss man caught me on the internet......blah blah blah excuses excuses. Either way, USA played England not Britain. No excuses for bad journalism (even though our very own tabloids are full of it). Spread the good word over there seeing is you seem to hold good knowledge about footie, and geography as well of course (ta for todays lesson).

No idea about why Team GB don't play "soccer" at the Olympics. Could be something to do with it not being worth the effort or clashing with the pre-season preparations or to do with money or sponsorships or the Scots not wanting to play with the English, who knows. Personally I'm not bothered about soccer at the Olympics, same with tennis, but I'll ask Seb Coe next time he pops round for a cup of tea.
the reason the home nations are not in favour of a team GB football team is because of their unique position within Fifa in being allowed to elect their own permanent member to the Fifa executive ,the feeling being that this privelage would come under pressure if a team GB was to appear,so self interest basically.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Nice article on the pathetic level of punditry and analysis viewers have had to endure ,

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/T ... 6364084.jp
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

I must have a real downer on Spain and the Spanish (Barca) type of football. Glad to see Lichensteiner getting kudos.
Very happy about the result...a bit disapointed about the SA result but happy for Forlan.

Maicon' goal was meant. Forget the eyes...they were for the keepers benefit and instead look at the body position in relation to how he strikes the ball. Total text book. Why would he risk crossing the ball/cutting the ball back in that manner?

I have to say; at the start of the tournament I favoured a European club to be triumphant but with the exception of Germany against a shambolic Australia the South American's look good.

I don't get to see many of the games, I find the horn sound too much, my eldest son and my girlfriend!!! are keeping me up to date, the level of comment from the pundits has been poor. Thankfully there is no clear favourite.

B,
S.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

johnnyboy wrote: Not so sure about Dunga's 'Das Boot' outfit.
Brilliant!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Spain hardly looked the team that many critics favor to win it all. I'm sure they will be different by game two but good on Switzerland for creating the upset of the Cup so far.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Does anyone else think the Spanish goalie should've been yellow carded, or worse, for completely taking out the Swiss player who was through on goal seconds before the ball found it's way into the net? No attempt to get the ball, feet first into the guys shins and totally flipped him over. I was amazed that Howard Webb didn't do anything about it or is it not the done thing if a goal happens straight after? He tried his best to take out the scorer as well with his feet and I'm pretty sure Pique had a little cuddle with the ball when he was on the floor tryinghis best to get rid of it. Glad the Swiss won and wasn't too surprised to see the Spanish manager saying the Swiss didn't deserve to win. All too familiar to the Barcelona reactions when they come up against a resolute and perfect defence.

Loved Forlans opening goal last night. You'd have thought that slight deflection would have sent it well over but the way it dipped was pretty special really. The goalkeepers lack of movement says it all as it looked like he thought it was going over too, unless it came in so quick he had no chance to move.

I sit next to an Argentinian girl at work who's got her Argentina shirt and tracksuit top on the back of her chair ready for the kick off today. We've a TV set up in a room at work so anyone can pop down and watch it which is cool. Originally set up for the England v Slovenia game next week but we've plenty of nationalities in our office so it'd be unfair to just set it up for that game only. The footie heads are loving it!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

C'mon the Ghana!! (my work sweepstake team)[/quote]

I drew Chile :(

Who's everybody else drawn in their respective sweeps and did you fall for the "there's still some good teams left in" line? :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

johnnyboy wrote: We've a TV set up in a room at work so anyone can pop down and watch it which is cool. Originally set up for the England v Slovenia game next week but we've plenty of nationalities in our office so it'd be unfair to just set it up for that game only. The footie heads are loving it!
No TV but we're streaming it from internet on HD. Nice quality, commentary in Spanish. We even projected a few games on to a wall in one room.

BUT, get this shit, our senior management team called a two hour meeting for Friday morning at 7:45am PST. WTF???? Clearly they don't care about the USA v Slovenia match. :evil:

At least we'll catch the England game...but seriously I, as well as a few others, are fucking bummed.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

redcloud wrote:
johnnyboy wrote: We've a TV set up in a room at work so anyone can pop down and watch it which is cool. Originally set up for the England v Slovenia game next week but we've plenty of nationalities in our office so it'd be unfair to just set it up for that game only. The footie heads are loving it!
No TV but we're streaming it from internet on HD. Nice quality, commentary in Spanish. We even projected a few games on to a wall in one room.

BUT, get this shit, our senior management team called a two hour meeting for Friday morning at 7:45am PST. WTF???? Clearly they don't care about the USA v Slovenia match. :evil:

At least we'll catch the England game...but seriously I, as well as a few others, are fucking bummed.
You best start complaining of feeling unwell now then and build it up to a Friday sickie :wink:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Delighted for Mexico ,great win ,and the French cheats continue to get what they deserve,

tournament seems to picking up nicely ,looking forward to the England game tomorrow.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

Guessed wrote:
Maicon' goal was meant. Forget the eyes...they were for the keepers benefit and instead look at the body position in relation to how he strikes the ball. Total text book. Why would he risk crossing the ball/cutting the ball back in that manner?

B,
S.
i will agree to disagree, "keepers benefit, total text book??!!??" it was a cross
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

solarflarez wrote:
Guessed wrote:

B,
S.
i will agree to disagree, "keepers benefit, total text book??!!??" it was a cross

Even if he did mean it (which I don't think he did), I still think Brazil's 2nd goal was better. That pass to split the defence was sublime.