When enough is enough

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Guessed
Known user

When enough is enough

Post by Guessed »

Yaya Toure. WTF!

I'm sorry; between that and the lacklustre World Cup I'm starting to think that football is not for me, anymore. I'm also starting to appreciate Mark' (runcible) points on his lack of enjoyment with the game.

I dread to think how much a player like Schweinsteiger; IMO the best player at this years WC would be able to fetch.

I'm truly dumbfounded that Man City have went out and invested this amount of money in a player they already have; De Jong/Barry and perhaps Kompany.

I'd like to hear others thoughts; James T you must have a well versed opinion on this from the stands?

B,
S.
redcloud
Known user

Re: When enough is enough

Post by redcloud »

bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

33 million :? eat your heart out premier league...
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yep...one guy is paid almost as much as the entire Pittsburgh Pirates team payroll!

I hate the Yankees (& the Red Sox)!.

PS: spzretent, I didn't realize your boys had quite the spending power that they do. Double the Indians payroll (but we did shed a lot of cap in past two years).
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Gripe of the week for me has to be Fernando Torres.

A player who has looked decidedly abject at Liverpool last season and is suffering from "Rooney" syndrome at this years World Cup has decided to take a 2 week holiday before deciding on his future at Liverpool.

Ok, perhaps he has a clause in his contract that if Benitez left, he can tear up the contract he was awarded at the very start of last season.

Hopefully Hodgson will remind him he is under contract until 2013.

Failing that; let him piss off to either of the two blues.

It's interesting that the transfer speculation now revolves around (in the main) 2 teams.
I hope the Man City and Chelsea "purchasers" aren't forgetting that the first team squad limit this year is 25 and that there have to be 8 "home grown" players within this 25.
Last time I looked City had a squad approaching 40 players of that ~9 are "home grown".
Chelsea haven't quite the squad size at 32 with ~8 "home grown".
Liverpool are approaching 40 players but have ~11 "home grown".
Man Utd have a squad in excess of 40 players but have in excess of 50% "home grown".
I can't begin to look at Arsenal because this is where i lose the "home grown" rule. However Arsenal are renowned for blooding young talent and they do produce British talent too.

I'm looking forward to this season and the introduction of some new common-sense rules; along with Fifa Financial Fair Play and slowly, slowly it might just be brought back from the brink.

B,
S.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yaya Toure is a great buy when you consider the system we have been playing under Mancini. 2 def midfielders seems to be how he rolls, and Barry hasn't done the best of jobs for us and was to blame for numerous goals from set pieces. Kompany has been a good player these past 2 seasons but I don't think he is an obvious first choice player for a top 3 side which we are hoping to be this year!

Yaya and De Jong sounds great to me. De Jong is always happy to sit back in his role and do his job, whereas Yaya likes to go forward too, box to box midfielder.

Vieira doesn't need much mentioning. The only reason he was brought in was as part of Mancinis management team in my opinion, there is no way he chose a lot of the people he is working with at the moment. The main problem is Garry Cook, he is a moron.

We certainly need a new left back, Bridge is always fucked after about 15 minutes, which is a shame cause I like him when he has fitness on his side. Zabaleta might do the job this year at right back, but boateng sure looked handy at WC2010.

Silva is top notch, great buy. I don't expect Robinho or Bellamy to stay. Wright-Phillips expects to get a pay rise because we're filthy rich, despite the fact he has years remaining and played poorly most of the season.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Oh and it annoys me when people question cities homegrown credentials.

"To qualify as home grown, a player will have had to be registered for at least three seasons at an English or Welsh club between the ages of 16 and 21."

Given, Bridge, Richards, Hart, Taylor, Johnson, Ireland, Wright-Phillips, Barry, Lescott, Weiss, Vidal, Etuhu, Ibrahim, Bellamy...... I'll stop now.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

will stephen ireland be there next term? he's a fantastic footballer, like michael johnson, who looks like he's getting screwed by big signings with a lot less talent & dedication for the club. ireland retired from international football & city benefitted & now it seems his loyalty is being repaid by piling up unworthy teammates in the queue ahead of him for a starting place.. sad.
James T wrote:Yaya Toure is a great buy when you consider the system we have been playing under Mancini. 2 def midfielders seems to be how he rolls
on this point, something i currently find more harmful & outrageous to the game. it's a hideous, destructive & ultimately futile tactic that macini (& others) have deployed in recent years. he was a lucky manager in italy & he'll be lucky if he makes it thru another season in manchester imo.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

James T wrote:Oh and it annoys me when people question cities homegrown credentials.

"To qualify as home grown, a player will have had to be registered for at least three seasons at an English or Welsh club between the ages of 16 and 21."

Given, Bridge, Richards, Hart, Taylor, Johnson, Ireland, Wright-Phillips, Barry, Lescott, Weiss, Vidal, Etuhu, Ibrahim, Bellamy...... I'll stop now.
Sorry James, got my figures way out.

However can't agree that the purchase of Yaya takes Man City a step closer too "top three". I stand to be corrected.
Furthermore; should the Milner saga bare fruit for City in addition to Silva & Boateng plus the return of Robin Hood; will the likes of Barry, SWP, Ireland, Bellamy, Richards, Bridge, Hart be content to warm a bench?

Man City starting XI could quickly become

Given/Hart
Zabaletta Toure Kompany Boateng
Yaya De Jong
Johnson Silva
Tevez Adebayor

What's your gut feeling this season, James? Will the attitude change from attaining a top three slot too winning the league?

I think the signing of Boateng is a master-stroke; he looks like a player comfortable in any of the back 6 positions.

B,
S.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Left back is boateng's 3rd choice position, so I hope he wont be playing there and we manage to get another left back. Srna would be great but he is never even mentioned in the press and I don't think we have ever shown an interest.

I would be happy with top 3 but I suppose it depends how the season starts, if we find ourselves in the top 2/3 at around christmas time it would be silly not to try and push for the top spot and actually believe we can do it. the jump from 5th to 3rd/2nd is a massive one for a club like us, and hopefully we can win a cup or 2 this year. I HATE the europa league until it gets to the quarters. Come the quarters it is great and very hard to win.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

James T wrote:Left back is boateng's 3rd choice position, so I hope he wont be playing there and we manage to get another left back. Srna would be great but he is never even mentioned in the press and I don't think we have ever shown an interest.

I would be happy with top 3 but I suppose it depends how the season starts, if we find ourselves in the top 2/3 at around christmas time it would be silly not to try and push for the top spot and actually believe we can do it. the jump from 5th to 3rd/2nd is a massive one for a club like us, and hopefully we can win a cup or 2 this year. I HATE the europa league until it gets to the quarters. Come the quarters it is great and very hard to win.
Haven't heard of the left back they've signed but at least its competition for the "distracted" Bridge.
Srna does seem to be happy where he is. There's some players you could never get.

Och well; pre-season starts for MU tonight against Celtic and i'm looking forward too seeing (hopefully) some of the young blood...bled. Smalling who i've only seen 3 times and Cleverley especially...also keen to see how the 4 forwards will perform.
Wee fella will stay up with me if he can make it!