Bikes

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

simonkeeping
Known user

Bikes

Post by simonkeeping »

I thought I might throw this one out there and see if anyone else is into cycling? As I love bikes. Not motorbikes, push bikes.

Road bikes, mountain bikes, fixed gear bikes, bmx I love it all. I am constantly looking on bike websites and I think that some of the craftsmanship in the frame building is just beautiful. ricky Feather is producing some amazing handbuilt frames right now.
http://feathercycles.blogspot.com/

Curtis are a brand I love too as they really know about customer service. Broken frames repaired and sent back to there rightful owners. I think in this current climate of consume then throw away thats a really refreshing attitude.
I also love the fact that they are built buy a man in a big shed. Thats very English.
http://www.curtisbikes.co.uk/

DMR too make fantastic bikes and the last mountain bike I bought was one of theirs.
http://www.dmrbikes.com/?section=page&p=/

I am currently in awe of this place though: http://14bikeco.wordpress.com/category/photo-catalogue/
Beautiful bikes. Made in the UK out of steel. top drawer! Or maybe Its just me??

Anyone?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
redcloud
Known user

Re: Bikes

Post by redcloud »

simonkeeping wrote:Made in the UK out of steel. top drawer!
Steel?! Is it heavy?

I have a Scott bicycle and I love it. Portland's a suberb biking city with loads of bike lanes throughout town. Easily one of the best cities in America to travel by bike and I guess, according to this article, it's second best in the world:

http://www.virgin-vacations.com/11-most ... ities.aspx
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBCctL88dRk "BIKE" by PINK FLOYD.

i have a bike in the fucking closet !
i knicked the fucker from some cunt who did not have it locked up !
he thought taking the front wheel would discourage people from lifting it !
not me !

i must get a tire on the fucker and off i go !
but traffic is insane round here ! so no !
must wait till i get to the beach.
fancy coming round and fixing it?
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Simonkeeping - yep - I'm also hooked on bikes. I'm lucky that I can ride to work too. Everyweekend I manage to escape into the countryside for half a day on my mountain bike doing about 20 miles. I've recently bought a small Garmin gps unit which means I can plan rides on the PC and never get lost even if I've never ridden the route before.

Hoping to get a road bike later in the year too. Love it. AND each evening we have the Tour de France highlights to watch at the moment.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I love bikes too!

I don't have one at the moment though.

Er, that's it i'm afraid... :oops:
O P 8
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Silver Raleigh Chopper was the bike for me in my youth, hated it when Raleigh introduced the much more inferior 'Grifter' to replace it :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Hi Simon, I started cycling to work about 4 years ago, Since then I've never missed a day whatever the weather, Its fantastic. I've got a specialized sirrus which is nice and nippy around town. Now I don't go to work though I'm not cycling at the moment. Got to start getting some long rides in soon. My four year old daughter has just started riding without stabilisers, its great to see her cycling around the park on it.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Suprisingly enough, it not too heavy, I had a charge plug before and that was pretty weighty.
clewsr wrote:Hi Simon, I started cycling to work about 4 years ago, Since then I've never missed a day whatever the weather, Its fantastic. I've got a specialized sirrus which is nice and nippy around town. Now I don't go to work though I'm not cycling at the moment. Got to start getting some long rides in soon. My four year old daughter has just started riding without stabilisers, its great to see her cycling around the park on it.
Wow thats impressive! Everyday! i need to HTFU and get out int he wind and and rain! It must be a very special thing teaching you're kids to ride a bike. Im actually really looking forward to that day, whenever it may be.
Muscles wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBCctL88dRk "BIKE" by PINK FLOYD.

i have a bike in the fucking closet !
i knicked the fucker from some cunt who did not have it locked up !
he thought taking the front wheel would discourage people from lifting it !
not me !

i must get a tire on the fucker and off i go !
but traffic is insane round here ! so no !
must wait till i get to the beach.
fancy coming round and fixing it?

Thats Hilarious! Im on my way around now! You got any spanners?
You're keeping this board fun Muscles. Respect is most definatley due!

I had a grifter XL. Man than thing was like a tank. 4 gears - slow, medium, fast and slip gear. It was a beauty though, my first ever brand new bike. Brilliant!

Ladies and gents, on that note. Im off to the pub. Have a fine weekend!
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

You must have fun SIMON ! and if BIKES make you happy ! then BIKES it shall be !

Spanners?

Well No but I have this new beer from Colorado you may enjoy while you fix my bike.
Last edited by Muscles on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

If all your posts contained floyd I would be happy. So long as it wasn't anything off Momentary Lapse... never a more aptly named album.
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

I like doing a bit of cycling. Got a nice Giant racing bike, done a few triathlons on it. Enjoying the Tour de france at the moment. Those chaps are machines!
Hey Jayne
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

If you have got kids between 2 and 4, then this is the coolest thing in school. http://www.earlyrider.com/ It get kids learning to balance way sooner then normal, and means that you can walk to the park without taking the pushchair all the time. My youngest Poppy has now inherited it, she can't ride it yet, but insists on lugging it around the park in a truly impressive / belligerent manner.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Ahhh bikes....

Totally taken over from music as my all-consuming hobby, although thanks to the ipod I do manage to combine both during grinding sessions on the turbo trainer!

I'm a roadie through and through; got an all-carbon fibre Colnago clx as my best bike, plus a steel framed GT for my winter/turbo trainer. I work at home so no commuting required, but that does leave time for sneaky runs up and down the Highgate hills to keep the muscles active. Cyclosportives are my real passion - 100 mile plus timed circuits that usually involve every hill the organisers can possibly find! This year's highlights have been La Marmotte (the daddy of all sportives) plus the Dragon Ride in Wales and the Magnificat 126-mile monster in Bucks/Hants.

Man's gotta have an obsession, it's what we do...and at least cycling is good for you!!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

we were just packed for holiday in France, with all family bikes on the rack, and the trailor for the kids, and some shit nicked my Sirrus off the back of the car. :evil: It was silly of me really to leave it un secured in Liverpool, but I'm gutted. I'd done several thousand miles on it and had grown quite attached. I'm just hoping I can claim on the insurance to fund a replacement. Bah.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

A trip up to Scotland next year. Has anyone cycled the length of the Caledonian Canal (or knows a friend who has)?
What more can the heart of a man desire?
danesmoor
Known user

Post by danesmoor »

Always *nearly* spent a lot of money on a road bike.

Would, of course, set some money aside to get some transfers made-up to rebadge the Specialized as a Spiritualized.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'm down south at the in laws for Christmas at the moment. Had a fantastic ride across the south downs yesterday in the snow. it was -3 but sunny. alpine Fucking splendour. now I dont ride to work any more I'm a bit of a lapsed cyclist. gotta get back into it in the new year
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I've managed to get back into cycling this year through the cycle to work scheme (a Boardman Comp mountain bike) and I'm lucky as there's some lovely countryside around here to explore. Yesterday was a very nice, and hilly, leisurely 25 mile ride.  Also, I have only been over the handlebars once so far. It's been a good thing too as it's pushed me back into the gym where I'm hitting the cycling and rowing machines and generally getting fitter, not fatter. I'd never gone on a rowing machine in my life until about two months ago and now I can go under 8 minutes for 2000m (after starting at 10 minutes) and a bit over 20 minutes for 5000m. Well it's a start.

This is me from yesterday.

PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Nice bike!
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Thanks. I had a great bargain too when I bought it. With an online discount and all the extras through the CtoW scheme it cost a touch over £300.00, spread over 12 months.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

It feels like I've cycled about 5000 miles this summer. I haven't of course, not even close, but the daily distances are coming back after years out of the saddle. Last week an easy and hilly 25 miles, three weeks ago 50 miles with a hard 3 to 4 mile sprint at the end by getting involved with someone I had to catch up, then riding on his back wheel at about 20mph. It's been one crazy summer in terms of trying to get a little bit fitter.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

PopeJez wrote:Nice bike!
...nice beard!

:wink:
O P 8
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

BzaInSpace wrote:
...nice beard!

:wink:

It....was. Not anymore.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Can I resurrect this old thread about bikes? Thanks......

So, I've been given a big bundle of birthday cash which I'm planning to spend on a nice bike for myself. £500 in total but included in that I wouldn't mind buying a decent lock plus helmet, lights etc.

I'll be using it to bomb around the local roads, seafront, woods and parks so I'm guessing a hybrid is what I need. I live near Southend in Essex so there's plenty of open space to lose myself in.

So far I've popped in Evans Cycles and seen brands such as Scott, Trek, Specialized, plus Giant at a local store. There's almost too much variety and choice!! What wheel size, frame size? I'm about 5ft 8". Will a hybrid cope with some decent offroading? I'm lucky enough to live in cycling distance of the Olympics Mountain Bike course (Hadleigh, Essex) which I know is being altered for public use after it all finishes.

Evans has a good sale on their 2010/2011 models, up to 33% on some bikes, so I could get a decent £500 bike for around £320ish if I wanted......leaving enough spare for the extras and maybe even my next tattoo (don't tell mother, haha, she refused to put money towards that idea, bless her).

Cheers,
JB
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Hybrids are great bikes and will handle moderate off-roading. They are great on roads. If you are thinking of anything more adventurous I would also look at a hardtail mountain bike. Get the most for your money by, as you suggest, going for an older model. The brands you mentioned are all good. I would also suggest going to Halfords and looking at the Boardman bikes as they consistantly get good reviews and are amazing value too.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Spesh (Specialized) all the way for me and rest of family. Cracking bikes, and if you can get an older year model you'll get a cracking deal. Spesh priced pretty much same everywhere, and Evans is a good retailer.

Sirrus could be a decent model, perhaps not ideal for offroading though - good on tarmac but not as feisty as road bike.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

PopeJez wrote:Hybrids are great bikes and will handle moderate off-roading. They are great on roads. If you are thinking of anything more adventurous I would also look at a hardtail mountain bike. Get the most for your money by, as you suggest, going for an older model. The brands you mentioned are all good. I would also suggest going to Halfords and looking at the Boardman bikes as they consistantly get good reviews and are amazing value too.
My good friend who's bike obsessed recommended the same this afternoon, Boardman at Halfords, sent a link for one at £499.99. There's a store just up the road to my flat so will pay a visit on Saturday.
Cheers.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

how about a cyclocross bike? a little like a hybrid but more fun with drop bars, study enough for off road, but nice and speedy.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CF0Q8wIwAA
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

clewsr wrote:how about a cyclocross bike? a little like a hybrid but more fun with drop bars, study enough for off road, but nice and speedy.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CF0Q8wIwAA
Not sure about drop handlebars to be honest. I don't think I'd feel that comfortable with them as I'd want to sit up a bit more rather than be hunched over......plus I have a bit of lower back trouble so wouldn't want to aggrevate that.

I'm so torn between a hybrid / MTB, tough to choose. I know I'd want a bit of rough and tumble at some point as there are plenty of good parks and woods near me but I don't want to struggle on roads. If I was rich then I'd buy one of each but alas I'm not.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

its the same quandry I had. - trying to find one bike that will do everything! I think unless you are going to go up real mountain trails a hybird will be fine. Mountain Bikes are heavy and they slow you down. If you put a set of thicker tyres on it will help with trails.

Or how about one of these? I've been out on the South Down's on one, and they are fine for pretty rough surfaces. Also big wheels so they roll very nicely.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CGkQ8wIwAg
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I was looking at one of those Spzd Crosstrails in Evans this lunchtime. Right on my budget as well, top end though. Had a chat with the guy in there and he recommended a hybrid 'hardtail' with the suspension you can lock on or off. They seem pretty cool and could be what I need. I like the idea of a mountain bike but I do keep hearing about the heaviness and what not, and the thing of having to spend more money to get something worthwhile.

What do you have out of interest? I know it maybe mentioned up above but I'm on a sneaky small screen whilst at work ;-)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I used to have a Sirrus which was great when I used to commute to work. That got stolen so when the insurance money came through I got a tricross comp which is loverly http://images.productwiki.com/upload/im ... s_comp.jpg

I'm meant to be doing a triathalon in a couple of months time. Need to get out more! :oops:

Are you buying it to commute or just for fun?
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

That certainly is loverly! Love the colour scheme. Very nice sir. 8) Is that a road bike? I am a complete novice so excuse the daft questions, haha.

I doubt I'll be using whatever I get for commuting purposes. I live in Essex near the seafront, plenty of roads and countryside, parks and woods, nice mix of urban and off road. I work in London but carrying a proper sized bike on train could be annoying plus I'm not sure if I even can. Fold ups are allowed. I'll be doing plenty of road cycling but will want to get off and across fields and through woods just as much. That's why I'm thinking of the hybrids with lock out suspension (or whatever the phrase is). Some mates (the more road bike type) and saying to ignore MTBs and to go for a nice light hybrid. Others who like off roading are saying go for a mountain bike. I want the best of both worlds but wouldn't want a hybrid that couldn't handle a bit of rough and tumble......nothing too mental, just some up and down dirt tracks and what not.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Tyres make a big difference to what a bike can handle. For what you have said a hybrid sounds a good idea.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

So then, if you bike fiends are interested, I went for this one in the end http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-2012-crosstrail

Not as sleek as the Sirrus but I felt it had the extra gubbins to handle a nice bit of off-road cycling.

Re: those front suspension forks with the click bit on top. How do they work? I know you can't lock them out completely but I'm assuming you click towards the + to add more suspension and the - for less.

Can't wait for it to arrive so I can go muddy it up a bit.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

good choice johnny. I reckon that is a good all rounder, not alot you can't take on with that, and still pretty pacey on the roads.

I have seen some suspensions that you can turn on and off completely, but can't remember exactly ho they work with the crosstrail.

In other news I've just been for a swim listening to sweet heat sweet light. I swam an extra 20 minutes so I could hear the whole album! Underwater headphones. They are they future I tell ya.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Gorgeous...

Wife and I both on Spesh, tempted to replace son's rust heap with one as well, now he's same heIght as me.... 8)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The bike had arrived. Ya-hoooo!

The front wheel has a buckle. Boooo!

The rest of it looks super sweet. Ya-hooo!

(underwater headphones??? what underwater device are they plugged into?)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

johnnyboy wrote:The bike had arrived. Ya-hoooo!

ah nuts!
johnnyboy wrote:
they are an mp3 player as well with just a little 4gb space. quite clever although the water did occasionally block out the sound. they are helping me with running too.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

clewsr wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:The bike had arrived. Ya-hoooo!

ah nuts!
johnnyboy wrote:
they are an mp3 player as well with just a little 4gb space. quite clever although the water did occasionally block out the sound. they are helping me with running too.
Yep, nuts, and other choice words, is what I thought too. It's the problem of buying on line. It may be cheaper but if there's a fault then it's harder to get sorted. They have to send out a courier to pick up the wheel, they access it/ fix it/ or order a new one, I wait around, then they send it back and I fit it back on and adjust the brakes again. Pain in the backside. If I'd have spent an extra £50 and bought from a local shop then I could wheel it down this weekend and say "fix it please".

Headphones sound good, very handy. I usually go running but am out of action with a stress fracture in my foot (2nd metatarsal). It's very frustrating as all you can do is rest up and wait for it too heal. 8-12 weeks says the physio. This could easily affect my summer waistline, haha. I'm not a flabby man at all but the steady flow of biscuits, sweet things, desk bound job, bit of booze.........it's got to go somewhere hasn't it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Portland has many hills that surround the city. Tonight my wife and I were driving down one that goes from approx 700ft elevation down to sea level. Bicyclists often bomb down it flying at top speeds. This particular road also has no sidewalk as it is flanked on either side by forested hills and it is one of the main roads running east to west in the city. So, tonight there are two cyclists in front of us. One of them looks really wobbly and unsure and they are building up speed. I slow down because I am wary of the one who is unstable. As they go around a corner and are out of my sight I say to my wife "I'm not sure if I would go down this road on a bike. She looked out of control". As soon as I say that we turn the corner and there she is on the gravel pavement having just seriously wiped out. I pull over and her boyfriend is jumping off his bike and starts to run over. Man, she is cut up real bad. Many scratches on her face and legs. She was wearing a helmet but the whole back is crushed in. She looks dazed. I ask her if she is alright. She just looks at me with dilated eyes very dazed. We take her helmet off and she is bleeding badly on the back of her head. Another guy with a pick-up pulls over and we move her over to the trees away from the road. My wife calls an ambulance, I grab a box from our trunk and a blanket. We raise her legs on the box and wrap her up. The guy from the pick-up gives her boyfriend a clean rag and he uses it as a compression on her head and holds her while he talks to her. She is clearly very concussed and has some major lacerations on her head. The ambulance arrives quickly and they ask her some questions then put her in a neck brace and on a stretcher. The guy in the pick-up gives the boyfriend his business card and says he will look after their bikes for him.

Fucking bummer. Hope she is ok. I think she will be but she was bleeding pretty bad on the back of her head. Had she not been wearing a helmet it would have been much worse.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

It sounds like you were very helpful and did everything that you could. Not that this means much coming from an internet stranger, but reading what you posted makes me think you and your wife are very kind people. It's funny, little things like elevating her legs could have been extremely helpful for treating the symptoms of shock that she was likely facing as she was losing a lot of blood, at least if I recall correctly from my wilderness first aid courses.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:It sounds like you were very helpful and did everything that you could. Not that this means much coming from an internet stranger, but reading what you posted makes me think you and your wife are very kind people. It's funny, little things like elevating her legs could have been extremely helpful for treating the symptoms of shock that she was likely facing as she was losing a lot of blood, at least if I recall correctly from my wilderness first aid courses.
Thanks. I think most people would have stopped to help. We just happened to be the first car after her wreck so it was the obvious thing to do. My Red Cross First Aid class kicked in. Thankfully, I rarely have to use those "skills" but when you do I guess it can make a difference. They were also tourists from SF (boyfriend told us that as he was getting into the ambulance with her) so they needed, and I am sure, appreciated the help.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Very good work! That sound pretty nasty. Very lucky you we're there to help. Sounds like that helmet may have saved her life. I've used a bike helmet now for coming up to 20 years (man, that makes me feel old!). It's not cool and people like to think they can get away without wearing them because they are more hard core but the smallest bang on the head can still mean serious business. Check this out:

http://www.4downdistribution.com/fs/tob ... rview.html

It frightens me when I see people on the roads without helmets. Especially in London as you are treated more as an obstacle/inconvenience rather than a vulnerable road user. Sorry for the preaching (and I know its a touchy subject) but its something that I feel strongly about.

I was knocked off about a year ago in London by a guy in car who decided to do a U turn without checking his mirrors. He sent me flying across the road into the lane going the other way (luckily nothing was coming). He did the decent thing and took me to hospital but It really shook me up and I think I would have been in with more than cuts and bruises had I not been wearing a helmet. I couldn't eat properly for days as my whole jaw felt like it was pushed out of line, my ears were ringing and my arm was pretty messed up too. I still hate riding past the place where it happened now. Be careful out there folks!
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I ride for fun (road and mountain bikes which makes me distrusted by both groups) but I also ride 20 miles each week to work. I've had quite a few near misses but I think the most annoying thing is when a driver gives a half wave as if to say "yep, I saw you but did it anyway".
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

havent been online for a couple of weeks cos had a lil tumble on my bike, comin down a hill pretty fast and next i knew a parked cars door opened , heard a bang, im sprawled on floor :( i hit the edge of the door with my hand and leg, badly bruised and cuts n grazes etc, nothing broken but it felt like it at the time , front wheel f**ked, confidence a little bruised as was ego. Anyway, thats why i havent been in here joining in the light hearted ribbing about scottish football etc and being on the losing side of er....debates :) bike riders will ALWAYS be second class road users in the UK and thats life i suppose
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Sorry to hear that, A driver opening his / her car door has a responsibilty to make sure they are doing it safely. Hope you mend quickly!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Thats awful! I hope you're on the mend!
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

I've recently bought a Cannondale SL-1 Quick.

It's a dream to ride. Light, fast. A bit of quality engineering.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

This is some thread resurrection I know...

In light of today's post in the 'Music' section on BJM and regurgitating the '60's, here's something I've just renovated from the 60's, and I'm dead chuffed with how it's turned out:

http://www.mercianblog.com

Just in case you're not reading this within a few days of posting, it's their July 30, 2013 post.

P
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Spiby wrote:This is some thread resurrection I know...

In light of today's post in the 'Music' section on BJM and regurgitating the '60's, here's something I've just renovated from the 60's, and I'm dead chuffed with how it's turned out:

http://www.mercianblog.com

Just in case you're not reading this within a few days of posting, it's their July 30, 2013 post.

P
Really lovely!

Enjoy riding it.

B,

M
Design.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

likewise! really nice. good restoration.
fritz
New user

Post by fritz »

stumbled across this thread couldnt believe it , have done a bit of road racing & time trialing over the years here in irelando - deffo the toughest sport in the world !! a couple of years back i volunteered to try & start filming local races to promote the sport a wee bit over here , sitting on the back of a motorbike for a few hours with a camera - absolute agony !! pedalling 100 alpine miles would be easier :P anyhows heres our wee channel & happy riding

http://www.youtube.com/user/CyclingUlster1
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Selling my 2012 Genesis Core 26.2 Hardtail

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/19-ge ... 1077063461

It's on gumtree...travel to liverpool frequently so within reason of the M6 to J26 and I can drop off.

Great thread by the way!

I'm daft on bicycles :)

Hoping to buy my first road bike tomorrow as I'm regularly doing 60mile plus and want to get into 100milers
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Going to begin buying and building a single speed...hopefully from some lurid 70's or 80's racer.

Has anyone done anything similar...may need a sounding board!

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Fixed gear? I've built and ridden a bunch of them. I ran a bmx-style, single speed freehub on one bike but prefer the fixed/track bike setup.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

@runaway

That's the type. Just something simple (but disgustingly bright!) when out with the family.
The fixed/track and not the bmx type setup.

You'll be the go to guy with questions I'll invariably have
Shoulders back, smash it
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Just be sure to find a frame with a horizontal rear dropout (ideal) or at least a diagonal one (found on many vintage road frames). A vertical dropout won't give you any adjustability in terms of chain tightness, etc..
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

@runaway

Indeed I will...although I think there's some manufacturer that has a hub now to deal with vertical dropouts.

Just on the frame hunt at the minute...which is good fun
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Have picked up a c.1980 BSA Tour de France frame for £10...there are forks but they're damaged.
It's a start as I'm trying to do build for sub £150.
Shoulders back, smash it
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

This was filmed in and around the city I work in, Allentown PA.

Saw the world premiere locally, next it's off to L.A. (California) and then worldwide release.

http://www.heroesofdirt.com/

Budget was only $175K
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

davedecay wrote:This was filmed in and around the city I work in, Allentown PA.

Saw the world premiere locally, next it's off to L.A. (California) and then worldwide release.

http://www.heroesofdirt.com/

Budget was only $175K
Inspired choice in having Bill Allen play the dad. I still have a copy of Rad on VHS :D