The search....

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

redcloud
Known user

The search....

Post by redcloud »

Today, my friends, I am pleased to say that the search is over! For I am of the generation who grew up buying records. The search for that long lost or well sought after original gem is as much a part of the process as holding, reading and listening to the ACTUAL record. A very different sense of gratification than the effortless downloading of whatever file one wants whenever one wants it. I've had the album on cassette for years but until now I have only come across reissues of the LP or overpriced originals that I have often kicked myself for not buying. The cd too is out of print. But today's find is proof that he who waits or is patient is often, in the long run, rewarded.

Portland has many great record stores but today I found my long lost and overlooked classic on my "to find" list in, of all places, a coffee shop! A new local coffee shop opened up here not that long ago and the owners collect records so there are record covers framed on the wall as well as a bin of albums "for sale". So, over a coffee and the morning paper I thumbed through their LP's and found an album I have spent many years looking for. What a great way to start the weekend! Better yet, the album is from '68 and the vinyl is in mint condition, cover in VG condition but it only cost me $5! All of the above makes my find even more satisfying! :D

Anybody else on the forum enjoy the hunt and the search and take great pleasure when you finally stumble on what you are looking for? Or, in the age of free downloads and torrents etc. am I alone in my excitement? Hopefully others can share their stories so I don't feel like an old geezer holding on to relics of the past. 8)
toomilk
Known user

Re: The search....

Post by toomilk »

What record was this?

I haven't had anything I've been hunting for for ages. My usual record hunting MO is "if that has this I'll buy it." First two that come to mind are LAGWAFIS LP reissue at the pitchfork festival's record fair and Pissed Jeans' first album on vinyl.

But I do agree with you. There is nothing quite like getting down on your knees and going through bins of records to finally find what you want. They should make a iPhone itunes store app where you can finger through the top of albums like they are records. It should require two hands and lots of dust.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, what record was it, man?! You can't keep us hanging like that.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

toomilk wrote:What record was this?
Lee Michael's first album, "Carnival of Life". It's not well regarded by Michaels' fans as it is so different compared to what he went on to do and what he became known for. But, this 1st LP is highly regarded by fans of 60's psych. There is some tremendous guitar work on it.

But, my purchase is not important to the post...more important is the question I put forward at the end of it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

No, you're not alone in your excitement. This is a different example, but along the same lines. I've been stalking Ebay for years watching the Lee Hazlewood record Forty, but it always goes too high for my taste and I have yet to buy a copy. However, when I heard that Lee & Margret album recently via a kind soul on this forum (I posted a rip recently), I just knew I had to have it. I found a copy on Ebay for $50, but didn't want to pay that much. I looked on Musicstack and found one for $20 with a "cut corner," so I bought it. I figured it was a reissue. It arrived STILL SEALED and completely original. Yes, it does have a cut corner (promo copy, maybe?), but man ... I feel like I really lucked out on that one and just love the record to pieces. Sometimes life is just cool like that.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yes, cut-out bins were once a good place to find original LP's in good shape but were cheap due to the cut corner or hole punch on the cover. There was usually nothing wrong with these LP's they were the un-sold albums that retailers would return to the manufacturer who would then return to the record outlet with said cut/hole in its cover. Because of this they were relegated to the cheap cut-out bins and re-sold. I have a handul of rare albums that I found in many cut-out bins throughout the 80's.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

It's a fantastic feeling. A thousand million times better than just getting an album sent by mail-order.

I have not been on the 'record hunt' for a while, but my crate-digging adventures last week uncovered all sorts of goodness... 8)

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... 660#p82997
O P 8
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

There's that visual trigger when you see the right colour / shapes of the record you are looking for. Then the brain snaps in with, first, yes - this is it. Then the brain asks - is it in good condition? Then the price comes into play - but not in any meaningful way - you're gonna buy it anyway. Then you breath out, hand over the cash and go sit with a beer. It's wonderfull.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Glad to hear others feel the same way I do and share that primal urge to hunt down albums.

One thing I have found recently is that used records seem to be a lot more expensive than they used to be. I remember finding original 60's albums in good condition for a couple dollars. Example, I was listening to Moby Grape's 'Wow/Grape Jam' album last night and noticed that I paid $1.50 in 1986 (the sticker with its sale date is still on my LP). I have even scored a few times on finding immense rarities and private pressings for super cheap bargins simply because the store and clerk were clueless on how to price it or what it was worth.

These days it seems harder to find a used album for a decent, or at best, a fair price. Maybe since the internet people read more and are now more clued in on what some albums are worth. But, that does not explain that more often than not even records that were pressed in large amounts are pricey. Is this the record stores taking advantage of the "cool" factor of vinyl and a clueless, young, hip generation who didn't grow up on vinyl but are now buying it because of its cool retro appeal? Honestly, I'd like to know because not only do I find it insulting but when I thumb through used bins and see copies of Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' LP priced at $12 I tend to walk out of the store knowing that all of their inventory is going to be overpriced.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

When I first opened Gizmo less than two months ago I purposely priced records the way they used to be in the $3- $7 range. If there was something worth obvious money I priced it half of what the average ebay price was. And people noticed. I thinks its bullshit that record shops are paying $1(sometimes less) per record and charging $8 to $12. I know all too well the plight of record shops these days but that isn't right.
We tend to sell lots of records in big piles. I just wish people would bring in more used stuff. We pay more and charge less. The reality is we are not in the music side to make a living. The t shirts we sell take care of that.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

^^^^ And Gizmo's is exactly the type of record store that I could probably spend hours in and walk out having spent money knowing that:

A: I got a fair deal on what I found
B: I supported my local independent record store

A win/win situation. Keep up the good work.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Not one of the records at the top of my vinyl-hunting list, but i remember the day i found three copies of Sonic's Angel 12" in HMV in Glasgow... i got one and came home all chuffed and to the envious glares of my friends. 24 hrs later, i had been offered a shed load of vinyl for it, so i gave into them and gave my copy away... and promptly went and bought another... the cycle repeated and i got a second big pile of records for the second copy i bought.. all the while recalling the third copy was still in HMV! I was onto a winner...

Imagine my horror then to find it was gone when i returned!!!! Took me a few years and many days vinyl hunting before i found a copy at a record fair in Glasgow! The elation of finally replacing it outweighed the 2 Spectrum singles,Sonic's first album and the sniffin rock 7" which i also found that day! :D

Lesson learned!

got some good swapsies for them though... :twisted:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

redcloud wrote:^^^^ And Gizmo's is exactly the type of record store that I could probably spend hours in and walk out having spent money knowing that:

A: I got a fair deal on what I found
B: I supported my local independent record store

A win/win situation. Keep up the good work.
'cept we dont have that many records yet. I just worked a deal the with The Aliens so we could sell their Luna Lp in the shop for $40. Which is a lot. But there aren't many around and I play it all the time. Just the postage on 5 double lps from the UK was over 27 quid. Which really sucks. But two copies are already on hold so who knows.
Dean & Britta sell direct to us too which is nice.
So does Dom Earworm.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)