Help! PS3 or XBOX 360?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

niamhm
Known user

Help! PS3 or XBOX 360?

Post by niamhm »

Its 15yrs. since I bought a games console and my son 7 yrs. is making sounds about wanting an XBOX for Xmas, after reading up abit it seems that the Xbox is prone to some tech. probs. but on line gaming and external hard drives ,BlueRay players frankly I`m out of my comfort zone here,plus age suitability , ... anybody own one or the other ? any thoughts would be appreciated.
Laz69
Known user

Re: Help! PS3 or XBOX 360?

Post by Laz69 »

For me, 360 all the way.

Cost to join xbox live (online gaming fee - its one major flaw) but its the better machine IMO by a country mile. Games are so much better to.

I have a friend who has a PS3 and his has been prone to more probs than my xbox. The main issues with the xbox (red circle of death) have been pretty much ironed out now. If possible, get the new 250Gb one. If not possible, you can pick them up for less than a £100 pre-owned from most games stores.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Wii :D
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I agree. Wii
Design.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

None. Buy him some books instead - beware The Matrix
Modlab wrote:I agree with that too. At least you can a small workout with the Wii.

M
O P 8
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

my friend recomended the 360. it is a lot cheaper (120 compared to 400 for ps) and the games are a lot cheaper- second hand from 5ish quid. thinking of getting myself a 360.

if you're gonna get him a wii screw it and buy him a cricket bat, a football and a tennis racket.
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

I just dont get the wii, but then again was never a nintendo fan, thats just me though, but 7 year olds love them! Xbox is superb, and there are lots of family games, many, many hours of my life have been lost to the Xbox unfortunately, but hey, its better than taking drugs eh? :D :roll: as for the PS3, well GT5 is out in November (alledgedly!) so santa will be bringing one for my son, ...whatever you choose, your lil boy will love it, im sure
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I've been thinking of getting a game console, as well but didn't know which one ? I'm afraid I'm out of the loop on this one, since the last game console I ever had one was Atari (yes Atari). I, always thought it was somewhat foolish for adults to be playing games, but I have since changed my opinion. The graphics these days are brilliant, especially some of the warfare games, etc. I, also heard that one can stream Netflix movies via the t.v. with a game console ??? Anyone in the states can confirm this ? If your outside of the states, you won't know what Netflix is.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

spacemanrich wrote:I've been thinking of getting a game console, as well but didn't know which one ? I'm afraid I'm out of the loop on this one, since the last game console I ever had one was Atari (yes Atari). I, always thought it was somewhat foolish for adults to be playing games, but I have since changed my opinion. The graphics these days are brilliant, especially some of the warfare games, etc. I, also heard that one can stream Netflix movies via the t.v. with a game console ??? Anyone in the states can confirm this ? If your outside of the states, you won't know what Netflix is.
The Wii is the one that lets you stream netflix so far. Works like a charm. I'm sure the others will quickly catch up though. I have a Wii, but don't play anything other than Beatles Rock Band (which is available on the other consoles as well) and the occasional Wii sports.

I have a friend who had both a PS3 and an XBox 360 and they both seemed very similar to me. I'd have to say I prefer the XBox's controller more. It does, however, seem to me that the PS3 is leader in terms of what future consoles will be.

I'd try looking up reviews on tech sites like this one: http://www.pcworld.com/article/199505/a ... fight.html
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

look at these graphics. it's nuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBctl1h_2o

(xbox)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

You know when you watch a video clip sometimes a 15-20 second advert comes on before the video ? I thought that was happening here, but soon realized it was advert for the new game, yes the graphics are brilliant and the human movements are spot on. Yeah, I think I'll wait for the Xbox game console w/ capabilities of playing Netflix.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

bunnyben wrote:look at these graphics. it's nuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBctl1h_2o

(xbox)
Umm yeah that looks way cool ,a western video game ,thats certainly new to me ,thanx for the replies ,have to think about this some ,are the PS3 games generally a bit dearer?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

most game shops have a large selection of pre-owned titles which cost anything from £5 up to around £25... always worthwhile looking at these instead of the brand new titles as more often than not, there is a bargain to be found. I imagine its much the same for the PS3 as it is for the 360...
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I`m sure I saw some PS3 games at £49.99!!! thats fucking expensive stuff,don`t care how shit hot it looks.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

dearest 360 game i've seen, brand new was £45... you can always find them cheaper than this if you shop around... Asda, Tesco and Morrisions always have deals on for new releases and are usually trying to out price each other... most games shops will have them for less than that too.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I've got a PS3. Reasons why I prefer PS3-
Online play is free (no subscription)
Blu- Ray player built in
Classic controller (seriously, the X-Box controller is crap compared to Playstation's!)
I think PS3 has better exclusive games right now-Heavy Rain, God of War, Metal Gear 4, Uncharted, and especially Uncharted 2.

I've kind of always stuck by Playstation over X-Box, mainly because of the 'exclusive' games the PS has always had. Having said that, console-exclusive games are becoming less and less. In addition to this, I don't know the exclusive PS3 games are designed for 7 yr old kids. Heavy Rain, God of War 3, Uncharted 2 are all great, but maybe not ideal for a wee guy.

For a kid that age I'd actually go for a wii. But if it had to be either the PS3 or X-Box and you weren't going to use it yourself, I'd choose the latter as they're cheaper and have more games, both new and second hand. If you end up getting a PS3 though ( :wink: ), make sure you download Joe Danger off the Playstation Store- both of you will love playing it, it's fantastic and ridiculously addictive. And make sure you play Batman:Arkham Asylum no matter which console you get, as it's a classic. Better than the last movie anyway!

I aslo have to recommend Beatles:Rock Band as previously mentioned by another member. It's fantastic-so well executed, magical, emotional and addictive too. I'm pretty sure they used the new remasters for the soundtrack, so the music blasts through your TV and is mindblowingly good. I love that game!

*About the cowboy game, aka Red Dead Redemption- it's good, but gets boring riding your horse to every new mission (or level, if you're an old-skool gamer!). Play Uncharted 2 instead- now that's a great videogame!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

burningwheel wrote:Wii :D
Couldn't agree more, love the Wii, House Of The Dead : Overkill is my personal fave :D
'Remember, change is not good'
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I saw the advert on the telly last nite for the new Halo coming out ( Halo:Reach ), here's a clip from YouTube that looks bloody fantastic : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kco1sYXGwYE
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Laz69 wrote:most game shops have a large selection of pre-owned titles which cost anything from £5 up to around £25... always worthwhile looking at these instead of the brand new titles as more often than not, there is a bargain to be found. I imagine its much the same for the PS3 as it is for the 360...
i've seen 2nd hand ps3 games at 30 odd quid. i've never seen one less than 10.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Just found out that the Xbox 360 DOES stream Netflix movies, as well as you can play live with other blokes online.
Seems like the Xbox is the way to go.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just saw a netflix commercial that says all three now are able to stream it.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

plumped for the xbox 360 ,fifa 11 ,Raw v Smackdown and The Beatles game ,its going down a storm the house is ringing out to badly sung versions of the music of The Beatles the wee man digs them so much he got a Beatles beanie and t-shirt plus some cds o their cartoons ( they aint so hot but he likes them) and he and Mrs M. are massive wrestling fans ,so santa done good their
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah and now they have the Kinect ( which I've heard had great reviews ).
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Last.FM channel is brilliant too on the Xbox... i tried sticking various bands names in and it always managed to find them and queue up some cracking tracks...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

my xbox is having purple and green lines across the screen. anyone know what to do?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

only when using Xbox? Sounds like HDMI or composite cable is playing up. Most obvious checks are changing these. You can get a basic HDMI cable from Asda for about 4 quid. Composite cables are a bit dearer, but can be bought from eBay for a fraction of the shop prices.

Also, if you can try on another TV just to make sure its not a TV thing...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

o the tv is fine- it worked fine up intil now- it's a lcd screen-few months old. i think you may be right as with the black n white parts of games it's fine. i checked online and it was a case of 'ring of death time' but everything else works on it. i'm off to tesco soon so i can check for a cable there, thank you!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

went to argos and got offical xbox hdmi cable and all seems to be working now, thank you laz!