Chilean Miners

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

mkb
Known user

Chilean Miners

Post by mkb »

The rescue seems to be going well so far, here's hoping that everyone gets out safely. An unbelievable story.
redcloud
Known user

Re: Chilean Miners

Post by redcloud »

Incredible! I watched the first two rescues live last night. Sent chills down my spine when the capsule emerged for the first time. The young son of the first man rescued just broke down in sobs when his dad came out from the hole in the ground. The second man then came up with a bag of rocks and handed them to his rescuers and the President of Chile. He then hugged everybody one by one and led the crowd of rescuers and miners into a rousing chant of CHI-LE! Very touching.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I can't believe they have made it. 69 days? Extraordinary. Makes you feel good.

What is worrying is that the company who run the mine were apparently warned NINE times that the mine was dangerous and a serious accident was likely. Some serious lawsuits coming their way methinks.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Doesn't one of them have a wife and a lover waiting for him? Ouch!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The miners ain't daft... some of the comments like "if we play this right, we'll never have to work again!" from the miners mean they know they'll be on to a nice little earner...

Suprised there isn't a busload of "No Win, No Fee" lawyers heading over there right now...
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

It's quite something; glued to the tv from midnight last night and have managed 1.5hrs sleep.

I'm in this line of work; well the entire geotechnical field and I'm still amazed that such a seemingly simple operation has had so much success.

You have to applaud the contractors who have mobilised, supplied and operated on this. It is a remarkable feet.

B,
S.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The best news story ever!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Laz69 wrote:The miners ain't daft... some of the comments like "if we play this right, we'll never have to work again!" from the miners mean they know they'll be on to a nice little earner...

Well, nor should they (have to work again...certainly not at the mine)! I think between tv, book deals and maybe even a film these guys will do ok.

Lawsuits may also boister their earnings but if the company ignored several previous warnings about health and safety of their men then they probably should expect a massive lawsuit!
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Sorry to be true to form as a sceptic but this has been too simple...almost.

Concerned by the 24hr+ news blackout and whilst I long to believe this a feat of human endeavour, strength and engineering excellence, I can't help thinking there are other dark factors at work. A smokescreen for what I'm not sure but the truth will out in about 25yrs.

Perhpas it's the current state of the world; the continued fear of austerity measures now replacing the fear of impending terrorist attacks and the genuine lack of "good feeling". I dunno. Not used too good news.

Elated and perplexed

B,
S.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

redcloud wrote:
Laz69 wrote:The miners ain't daft... some of the comments like "if we play this right, we'll never have to work again!" from the miners mean they know they'll be on to a nice little earner...

Well, nor should they (have to work again...certainly not at the mine)! I think between tv, book deals and maybe even a film these guys will do ok.

Lawsuits may also boister their earnings but if the company ignored several previous warnings about health and safety of their men then they probably should expect a massive lawsuit!
I wasn't suggesting that they are back at work on Monday morning :lol: :lol: Just that they've obviously had time to reflect while down there and think of their newfound celebratory status...