How Many Gigs have to you been to?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

burningwheel
Known user

How Many Gigs have to you been to?

Post by burningwheel »

in your lifetime. i recently saw a guy on a forum somewhere, claimed he had been to over 1000 gigs, that seemed like a lot and unrealistic

i couldn't tell you how many i've been to, maybe 100 and i think i've been to a lot of gigs
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: How Many Gigs have to you been to?

Post by Shinesalight »

I reckon I've done about 300-400ish based on the fact that I've been gigging for the last 20 years and, just this year alone, I've been to 30 odd gigs. So, 1000 gigs could quite easily be done if the chap in question has been doing it for some time, he goes to see loads of local bands in pubs/etc or if its something to do with his job. I'm in a position where I haven't had kids get in the way (is that a nice way of putting prospective family life?!) but I would have thought many people on this forum would have been to even more gigs than I have.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A quick count of my ticket stubs reveals about 380 gigs since November 1978.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

If someone went to a major 3 day summer festival and watched 10 acts in concert per day, times that by 3 festivals per year, timed by 10 years of going to those festivals, add on all the other gigs a mid 40 year old has seen since he or she started going to gigs from the age of about 15 or 16, which for arguments sake might average 5 per year, then 1000+ gigs is very realistic.....in my opinion and if festival gigs are allowed.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I counted any festivals I went to as one gig...

I once met a guy at the only Grateful Dead gig I saw - it was his ONE THOUSANDTH Dead show. He had a shirt on which read '...when you absolutely positively have to be there every single night...' Respect!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i can only guess at between 400-500. Maybe more. I dont have ticket stubs because i was so often on guest lists from my record shop. There are about four bands i've seen at least 20 times. Stones, Spiritualized, Bloemnfontein, Simple Minds. Thats 1/5th of the way there nearly. I guess you could add the The Flaming Lips to that list too. Its gotta be close to 20 times.
Sick thing is I have probably averaged 2 gigs a year the past 5 years.
What seems more incredible(to me at least) is that I have been to more sporting events than gigs.
And I wonder where the time went.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I used to get to go to free gigs all the time as a perk to various jobs, but then eventually got burnt out by all of standing around for hours to be half-deafened by poor sound mixes. So I was probably doing 20-25 for a couple of years, but now I go to very few and most of the time would honestly prefer a solid live album.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

1000 gigs is certainly achievable. This year alone i'll have been to about 35 gigs and it seemed less busy than previous years. I too would count a festival as one gig rather than a shitload of them over one weekend. I wouldn't count local bands down the boozer either! Now i'm going to dig out my ticket stubs and figure out just how many i have been at.... :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I think I too may have once boldly made that statement either in here or to some friends. Do I have proof? No. I have a handful of ticket stubs that for some reason I kept and in the past ten years I have managed to keep more than I did as a kid or when in my 20's. Can I back that statement up? Ummm...I don't know, but I will be 42 years old next month and I saw my first concert in 1979 (KISS). After my parents took me to see KISS they started to allow me to go to concerts with friends and their older brothers/sisters. As a young teen growing up in an industrial, rust belt working class town we saw all the British metal bands as well as the more obvious US/Canadian hard rock bands of the early 80's era. In 1985 I saw the Grateful Dead for the first time and in '86 I ended up on the road following them for two years. In those two years I saw the band many, many times. From Madison, Wisconsin to Washington DC to Oakland, California to Greensboro, North Carolina and most places inbetween I saw the Dead play. Some places they would play two or more shows. To make our money we made t-shirts and sold them in the campground/parking lots at the shows. I lost count on how many times I saw the Dead but it was a lot. In those years I also caught many of the classic rock bands as they were playing in the towns we were hanging in or when we made it back to Cleveland (Firm, CSN, Santana, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Bo Diddley etc. ). When I was at college we were out regularly seeing live music either in clubs or bars. In these years I saw the Lips many, many times as well as several of the Seattle grunge bands and countless unknown local or regional bands. I have also seen Brian Jonestown many times. It all adds up.

So, have I seen a 1000 shows? Who knows. Maybe that's a bold statement but I do know it's been a lot. Maybe it's been as many as 1000, maybe less, maybe more. But, live music is still a love of mine and although I don't see as many shows as I once did I probably still catch 10-20 concerts a year. On that number alone it would be 300-600 gigs since I was 10. How I get to the 1000 is the many more I saw on an almost nightly basis when in college as well as the Dead tours I was on.

Best concert of this year for me? Easily the Black Crowes recent three hour, acoustic/electric set here in Portland. The hair on the back of my neck still stands up when I think about that show. So, so good. 8)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I realize I have been to more shows that I thought. For three years running I had a friend who had a lawn pass to the local summer amphitheater which had seats and a lawn behind it and held about 10,000 people. This was from 1976 to 1979. He never used it. I did. I saw everything from Marshall Tucker Band to Loggins & Messina to ELO to the Beach Boys to Chicago to Little Feat. I used that pass 30 to 40 times each summer.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

2004 - 2
2007 - 6
2008 - 5
2009 - 4
2010 - 5

22 in total. Not bad if you consider I hardly go to gigs and am still squeamish about ticket prices. ^^
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

I'm pretty confident I've been to at least 400 gigs since 1980, but the number is probably a lot higher.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

1989-1995 we lived in Reading and I reckon I saw 2-3 gigs a week every week, either in Reading, Oxford or London, a lot of which I worked on as a lighting tech. So conservatively that is about 500 odd gigs. Toss in a couple of hundred gigs (50 in pre-UK Dublin) and about 100-150 in Melbourne post-1995 and you get a figure of about 700.

I've not been to a gig for ages mind you 'cause theres not much worth seeing in Melbourne at the moment. In many ways I'm f*cking glad not to be doing the 3 gigs a week thing any more. One good one a month would do me nicely at my advanced age.........
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Stubs counted and memory wracked, and working on the premise of festivals counting as 1 gig plus not including local bands down the pub, my grand total is 500 odd since June 1986 (Queen at Slane aged 13).

Not bad i suppose. Didn't really start going regularly 'til 1990 when i realised if i really wanted to see a band i'd have to go on my own as none of my mates had the same dedication!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i just realized i took off 18 years from gig going due to health reasons, but now i'm able to go again, yeah!
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Probably between 300 and 500, couldn't make an accurate guess, I have a hell of a lot of stubs.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I've managed to keep all but a handful of my ticket stubs over the years. I can't estimate how many really, but if I clamp them tightly together in my hand they run to three inches thick!
davy c
Known user

Post by davy c »

Im loading my gigs onto a database, I keep ticket stubs and i print out the set list and stick em all in lever arch file. Since 1994 I estimate im approaching400- 500 gigs, but until I get everything on my computer im guessing a bit. Most seen bands would Spiritiualized (12) BRMC (12) The Charlatans (25), Puressence (25) The Verve (10), Primal Scream (10), Mercury Rev(9) but by and large I have managed to see everyone I want at some point at least twice, some on the mid 90's gigs are a bit cringworthy when i look back ! I would like to think impending middle age has made me way cooler in my gig choices these days !
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

davy c wrote:Im loading my gigs onto a database, I keep ticket stubs and i print out the set list and stick em all in lever arch file. Since 1994 I estimate im approaching400- 500 gigs, but until I get everything on my computer im guessing a bit. Most seen bands would Spiritiualized (12) BRMC (12) The Charlatans (25), Puressence (25) The Verve (10), Primal Scream (10), Mercury Rev(9) but by and large I have managed to see everyone I want at some point at least twice, some on the mid 90's gigs are a bit cringworthy when i look back ! I would like to think impending middle age has made me way cooler in my gig choices these days !
Omg, 10 times The Verve. *jealous* Which gigs?

And 12 times Spiritualized and BRMC. Wow. ^^ But wait, 25 times! The Charlatans. How awesome. 8)

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Cn't think of many bands I've seen a lot. Spiritualized (8), Low (18), Mogwai (10), Radiohead (7) Sigur Ros (6)... Maybe some others... Sigur Ros I gave up on after Takk...
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

James T wrote:Cn't think of many bands I've seen a lot. Spiritualized (8), Low (18), Mogwai (10), Radiohead (7) Sigur Ros (6)... Maybe some others... Sigur Ros I gave up on after Takk...
That's quite a lot. I still haven't seen Spiritualized live... I'd like to see Radiohead again.

davy c
Known user

Post by davy c »

The Verve gigs from memory were
Manchester Roadhouse 95, Manchester Uni (95), Glasto 95, Manchester Academy 97, Manchester apollo 97 both nights, and the reformation gigs at Glasgow (first night), Blackpool (2nd night i think, nov 5th) and Manchester central

Spiritiualized
97 Buckley Tivoli (blown away literally), liverpool l2 (98?),
then on LICD tour Liverpool uni and then the 2nd leg at a half empty Manchester Apollo
Amazing Grace tour at Nottingham Rock City
Acoustic mainlines tour at Manchester Lowry and Leeds (leeds was jaw droppingly good)
A nd E tour at Sheffield Plug and 2nd leg at Mancheter academy plus green man festival in between
LAG album tour 1st night at festival hall and the Manchester apollo gig (front row quite awesome)

The charlatans last two albums have been dross so havent been bothered with them as much, but they do put on a decent show, with me living in northwich guest list tickets have never been a problem so me and the missus normally opt to watch them at far flung places as the guest list requests for manchester and the midlands are always huge.

BRMC basically every gig they have played in manchester and liverpool bar maybe a few but none springing to mind.
If people want help with set lists are anything from gigs i have been i will more than likely have a record of them so feel free to ask away.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

to many to remember def..but seen most ,Spiritualized easy about 15 ,umm The Damned about 8/9 ,JAMC same 8/9 and probably the same for the Primal Scream,as someone earlier said I`ve seen most bands I wanted to see with notable exception of the Dead Kennedys this sounds pathetic but me mum wouldn`t let me go!! still rankles and Sonic Youth ,who granted I could still see ,but not 15 or so years ago when I wanted to see them circumstances were never just right.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Oh yeah, mothers who won't let you go to concerts... I had that discussion about the Suede concert in December. To be fair, we wanted to go away over the weekend and I could only tell her the day before the concert because only then I knew I'd be on the guestlist. So glad she let me go in the end... The Suede gig was really good.

I wonder whether I'll ever see Spiritualized live...

scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

Hey already!
Is columbia club a good venue?

I´m gonna go see van der graaf generator there on march 31st.. then fly home the next day and see mogwai three hours after landing.
I have not been to Berlin for twenty years and I´m bringing wife and kid for three days..
Which zoo do you like the best? Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I used to go to TONS of local shows and I used to put on 3-4 shows a week - ranging in size - at UCSD for 4 years, so I'd probably put my estimate at around 250. On top of that, I've play about 40-50 shows with bands I've been in, but I guess that doesn't really count.

Since I stopped booking shows the rate has dramatically dropped off. I think in 2010 I went to about 15 shows and played none in bands. :(

However, I can proudly say that I have worn earplugs to about 2/3 of these. Great decision and I would recommend it to everyone. It takes a while to get used to, but it really does save your ears if you buy the right ones. Despite going to so many shows and even playing disguistingly loud in my own bands for many years, I can safely say my hearing is still strong. I can hear the high-pitched buzz of TVs (older ones, mind) whenever one is on within 50 feet of me. It's almost like a Far Side comic when I walk down the street. It's kind of annoying, but I like to think of it as a measure of my "saved" hearing!
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

scratch wrote:Hey already!
Is columbia club a good venue?

I´m gonna go see van der graaf generator there on march 31st.. then fly home the next day and see mogwai three hours after landing.
I have not been to Berlin for twenty years and I´m bringing wife and kid for three days..
Which zoo do you like the best? Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin?
I don't know, it's an ok venue. I know that a lot of people don't like the sound in it, but I've seen Primal Scream there in 2008 and I enjoyed it.

I like both the Zoo and the Tierpark. The Zoo is more commercial and the Tierpark looks much nicer and is larger. I'd probably choose the Tierpark.

scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

Already There wrote: I don't know, it's an ok venue. I know that a lot of people don't like the sound in it, but I've seen Primal Scream there in 2008 and I enjoyed it.

I like both the Zoo and the Tierpark. The Zoo is more commercial and the Tierpark looks much nicer and is larger. I'd probably choose the Tierpark.
oh well I am always close to the stage even though the sound sometimes is worse there. (monitor sound facing away from you instead of the "proper mix")

looks like tierpark has more animals, my son loves all land animals but is not too impressed by aquariums so we´ll probably go with the big one, thanks!
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

I can remember that the guitars almost crushed my ears, it was just too loud. :lol:

I haven't been to the Zoo or the Tierpark in a very long time. The advantage of the Zoo is that it's in the city centre. ^^

cottonfever
Known user

Post by cottonfever »

I can well believe redcloud has been to 1000 gigs. In 1967 i started going to 3-5 gigs a year with my brother when i was 10. All Tamla Mowtown artists, Stevie Wonder, Temptations,Four Tops the lot. By 1969/70 our music tastes were changing to rock and i was going to at least 2 gigs a week, Stones, Kinks,Led Zep etc. By 72/73 i was going to at least 4-5 gigs a week, all the pro rock/metal bands from both side of the atlantic, and as many festivals as i could get to in the summer holidays from school. Festivals like Bickershaw, Reading, Windsor free festival (7 days), Watchfield free festival (7 days), Buxton, a 10 day free one outside Manchester in 76/77(?) and every Glatsonbury festival up to the mid 90's. I continued to go to 4-5 gigs a week, plus festivals for the next 30 years.My taste in music has broadened a hell of a lot over all these years and i still go to gigs on a regular basis to this day. Not 4-5 a week anymore, more like 3-4 a month. I don't think i could go a month without going to a gig. So, not including all the bands i've seen at all the festivals over the years,i must have been to around 4500 gigs alone since 67. They were mostly great gigs (from what i can remember through the haze of drink and whatever else) but there was a lot of crap as well.
p.s. Do the raves of the mid to late 80's in some field in the middle of nowhere count as well?
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Christ mate - that's some going it!
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

cottonfever wrote:. I continued to go to 4-5 gigs a week, plus festivals for the next 30 years.
wow.. more than 6000 :shock:

I have been to roughly 250 gigs since I turned 30.. less than one every week.
I think I may have been to a thousand gigs in total.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

I have no idea how many I've been to but I know I've seen Nick Cave over 100 times, Spiritualized at least 40 times, Delays roughly 30 times, Editors around 70 times, the Wedding Present about 30 times, Apartment about 30 times, Interpol about 30 times (that number will not increase though unless Carlos rejoins), Sonic Youth maybe 20 times, The Horrors possibly 20 times, The Chapman Family at least 20 times... what can I say, I like touring!!

There are loads more but I can't remember them now and also I lost my ticket stubs when I was burgled, I kept them in a box that also contained my passport and the dirty robbing bastards just took the whole box - it made me feel so sick that I no longer keep stubs, I just can't bring myself to.....
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

cottonfever wrote:I can well believe redcloud has been to 1000 gigs. In 1967 i started going to 3-5 gigs a year with my brother when i was 10. All Tamla Mowtown artists, Stevie Wonder, Temptations,Four Tops the lot. By 1969/70 our music tastes were changing to rock and i was going to at least 2 gigs a week, Stones, Kinks,Led Zep etc. By 72/73 i was going to at least 4-5 gigs a week, all the pro rock/metal bands from both side of the atlantic, and as many festivals as i could get to in the summer holidays from school. Festivals like Bickershaw, Reading, Windsor free festival (7 days), Watchfield free festival (7 days), Buxton, a 10 day free one outside Manchester in 76/77(?) and every Glatsonbury festival up to the mid 90's. I continued to go to 4-5 gigs a week, plus festivals for the next 30 years.My taste in music has broadened a hell of a lot over all these years and i still go to gigs on a regular basis to this day. Not 4-5 a week anymore, more like 3-4 a month. I don't think i could go a month without going to a gig. So, not including all the bands i've seen at all the festivals over the years,i must have been to around 4500 gigs alone since 67. They were mostly great gigs (from what i can remember through the haze of drink and whatever else) but there was a lot of crap as well.
p.s. Do the raves of the mid to late 80's in some field in the middle of nowhere count as well?
how's your hearing?
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

For all of the hundreds of gigs that I have been to, it's the ones I never got to see that I wonder about. For instance, I never saw Sparklehorse live and now it's too late.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Breeze wrote:For all of the hundreds of gigs that I have been to, it's the ones I never got to see that I wonder about. For instance, I never saw Sparklehorse live and now it's too late.
You make a very good point, sir.

Fortunately, I saw Sparklehorse twice...First time was opening up for Mazzy Star during 'Vivadixie..." and second time was their own show just after "Good Morning Spider" came out. Mark was still in a wheel chair at the Mazzy gig but standing up for the second show. I became a big fan of Sparklehorse after that Mazzy Star support slot. They played an extended, full-blown, fuzzy, whigged-out version of 'Cow' that just blew my head off.

But, I had an opportunity to see Jeff Buckley in a small bar either just before or very soon after 'Grace' came out...but I didn't. I'm still kicking myself for that one. :evil:
cottonfever
Known user

Post by cottonfever »

burningwheel, can you repeat that for me, i didn't quite catch it. :D My hearing is ok, a bit of hissing now and again though. Not bad considering.