Cool fanzine - Optical Sounds

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

Cool fanzine - Optical Sounds

Post by runcible »

A few of the folks here have helped our own sonic124 to produce a new fanzine which has just been finished.

A quick disclaimer to say no one has made any money, in fact I'd say some has been lost... but the passion for the music is obvious so I'm giving it a plug. It looks insanely psychedelic and anyone who might have enjoyed the excellent Freakbeat mag of 20+ years ago will smile.

Issue 1 is being hand printed at home so not too many made. It features:
The Heads 9 page article + interview. Interviews with Cave, Serpentina Satelite, Sylvester Anfang II, Sri Aurobindo, The Cult Of Dom Keller. Articles On Spacemen 3, The Perth County Conspiracy, Blue Cheer, Plasticland, Peter Jones of The Cosmic Psychos + various reviews.

Available here:
http://opticalsoundsfanzine.blogspot.com
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Cool fanzine - Optical Sounds

Post by TheWarmth »

Cool! Order placed. 9 pages on the Heads! Hardcore.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yay!!! Can't wait to receive my copy! Huge kudos and appreciation to sonic124 for his time, effort, energy and hard earned cash to put this baby together. As one of the contributors I know I am biased when I say this, but honestly, from all the pdf's sent to me over the past couple months this is a beautiful product made with care, dedication, belief and love.

Cheers to 2011 and here's to future issues (glasses raised for toast)!
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

First off big thanks to Runcible and Red Cloud who apart from giving massive encouragement when needed also wrote some great articles and designed the front cover. Now noticed the blog page I set up was spelt wrong (stop laughing Mark) now changed and spelt correctly you will find out about it here

http://opticalsoundsfanzine.blogspot.com

Hoping for #2 to have a big Pete Kember article!!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

excellent, ordered!
I think I feel it coming on
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mine arrived this week. Excellent work chaps, nicely laid out and well written. Was nice to find out about a few bands/releases i didn't know existed! I'm assuming Runci put in the ad for Harrogate Fine Wines, gave me a giggle as it was one of the last things i would've been expecting in a mag dedicated to psychedelic noise :lol: I recommend that those into mind melting cosmic guitars get their mitts on this right now.

Hope it sells well, i'm looking forward to issue 2 already.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Cheers - Dave did most of the work, in fact he did practically everything so it's hats off to him big time. I wrote a few of the articles, as did Mike, but the whole concept, vision, lay out and content was all Dave. Plus he printed and stapled every issue by hand. I was a big fan of Freakbeat back in the day so it's nice to see something like that again.

Notes have already been made for issue 2 and some articles written. A few irons in the fire too.

The ad for Harrogate Fine Wine was Dave's idea but as Andy, who runs the place, wrote a review and we've all known each other for donkeys years it was a nice touch. The underlying vibe in that shop is certainly psychedelic as that's the music everyone who works there loves.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Nice! Received my copy in the mail yesterday, looking forward to digging in after work today. Looks awesome!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

So has anyone read a physical copy yet? I checked out the preview shots and the color scheme was like salt on my snail skin.

(My little bitch rant) I have really sensitive eyes and something like the color of the fonts/background can give me serious, serious migraines. This zine sounds like it would be amazing (i'll probably end up buying it regardless), but it would help if someone could give an old man a report on the optical effects of the zine.

Jeez, I sound like an ass....
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Great work to all concerned obviously a real labour of love, very nice product. I promise I'll get my arse in gear for something in issue 2 :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Better said now that this is not the easiest read on the eye as the graphics and text sort of collide. Sorry about that but that was part of the idea. Freakbeat fanzine was an important part of Dave's psych treading and was mine too so that was the style chosen. Entirely deliberate.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

toomilk wrote:So has anyone read a physical copy yet? I checked out the preview shots and the color scheme was like salt on my snail skin.

(My little bitch rant) I have really sensitive eyes and something like the color of the fonts/background can give me serious, serious migraines. This zine sounds like it would be amazing (i'll probably end up buying it regardless), but it would help if someone could give an old man a report on the optical effects of the zine.

Jeez, I sound like an ass....
You might want to be careful, then. I found myself struggling a bit the other day while reading it due to the psychedelic background designs. That's my only issue with it, though. Otherwise, I think it's brilliant and I haven't even gotten that deep into it yet.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Ordered...
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Nice mention of Denver band Tjutjuna in there. If you get the chance to see them live, definitely do it. They are opening for Acid Mother's Temple here in April which will be nice double bill. Great work all around on this. Looking forward to the next issue as well.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

road tripped this past weekend where I had the leisure of being the passenger. delighted in reading through this at leisurely intervals. this zine is quite well done: great album reviews, eye bending graphics, insightful/laugh out loud interviews, and revelatory in the coverage of South American psych bands. not to mention the hidden writing talents of certain board members. definitely looking forward to issue #2 :!:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Mine came today... beautifully presented (i can appreciate the questions about the print being a little fuzzy... buts its just so cool!) and the only mag for, probably, the last 15 years that i've actually looked at and thought about reading every word of every page 8) 8) 8)

Well done to all involved! :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Well, I do not want to go on too much about it as I have a vested interest. I'll leave that for others to comment. HOWEVER, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the article on the Heads as well as the various SA/Chilean bands. Oh, and there's a pretty cool article on a long forgotten Canadian folk-psych band as well as a killer front cover ( :D ).
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I am hearing great things about the plans for issue 2. Some excellent contributors, cool articles and really positive ideas. Early days but I see no reason why it won't be as good as the first one.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Been laid up in bed with a pretty nasty virus (thanks kids!) but wanted to say thanks for all the praise. Should say it was not my intention to make the reading hard to read and after printing 20 issues i took a few of the backdrops out that did not work so well (but mainly because it was costing me about £6 per issue to print!!!) One i just couldn't alter was the back drop in the heads interview that features the at last poster for a gig at the louisanna with a swirl behind I really liked that!! I also toned down some of the backgrounds just a shade and turned all the text to black print after some of the coloured text came out a bit fuzzy! Also those looking at the jpgs on the blog site should not be put off by how the text looks there as it just comes out quite faint looking in the conversion from a publisher file to jpg. One thing I should also say is that I know the price looks high but believe me I am not making a penny. Issue 2 should be ready sometime April and this is what should be featured Interviews and Article on Pete Kember + Interviews with Magic Lantern,Santiago Special (Overview of the Chilian Underground Psych Scene and Interviews with Follakzoid Watch Out and hopefully Psychedelic Schafferson Jetplane), White Fence, Gnod, Mugstar,Lumerians, Asteroid No4, + Articles on The Damned, Broadcast, Hawkwind Kollectors Rare Vinyl, Simon Price (The Heads) on Loop, Dave from The White Hills is writing as well! And something from our own Red Cloud!
Could do with some help if there are any fans of the Asteroid No4 any questions you would like me to put to them??
Thanks again next one will be a bit easier to read!
Dave
check some follakzoid here http://ravensingstheblues.blogspot.com/
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Questions for The Asteroid #4

1) With all of their albums almost taking a different influence/direction/sound/style from the previous one, do they have any particular styles or influences they are hoping to incorporate in the new album?

2) With all the rave reviews of their live shows, any possibilities of a live album?

3) Any possibility of them ever dabbling in the sound of the debut album again?

4) Why have they never came to Scotland?!?!!?!?!? :D
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Yeah, mine arrived today. Thanks a lot for the quick delivery. 8)

I only read the Spacemen article so far, but I can already tell: It was really worth it. I totally dig the lo-fi psychedelic look of it.

Aaaaah, issue 2 sounds amazing already. Really looking forward to that.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

What a breath of fresh air away from all the corporate shite that floats around these days.
Thanks for the speedy delivery too.
Already brightening a dull boozeless weekend so thank you very much!
First article is brilliant looking forward to the rest - good one mark and all involved.
Looking forward to the next......
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Meo wrote:What a breath of fresh air away from all the corporate shite that floats around these days.
Thanks for the speedy delivery too.
Already brightening a dull boozeless weekend so thank you very much!
First article is brilliant looking forward to the rest - good one mark and all involved.
Looking forward to the next......
Yeah, I have the same feeling when it comes to all the big magazines, it's almost as bad as music television these days.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

received my copy ,and very good it looks to ,the print is fine ,if your struggling to read it Optical Express is doing free tests get yor f8ckin` eyes tested!

my pile of "to read " is well exceeding my free time to attack the pile ,but being a big Spacemen fan had to read Runcibles Spacemen piece first ,hat off , great article had waves of deja vu coming all over me (ooer missus ),
your description off the mid to late 80`s rung so true to my own experiences ,big fan -at the time - of Crazyhead what alive band saw them about 5/6 times ,their records could never do the band live justice ,
as confirmed hashead looking for, more lsd was an urban myth ,then all of a sudden ,coincidental with acid house and madchester it was everywhere ,6 months previous unicorn horn ,now anybody with the dosh can have a sheet of 50,the next few years were very entertaining!!

like you say Runcible I consider myself very lucky to have seen the Spacemen ,saw them 4 times in 89 ,the first time at the now demised Edinburgh Venue will live long in the memory , we loved the records up till that point , 4 scruffy f8ckers saunterd on stage and parked their arses ,tuned up a bit then started Rollercoaster and it was amazing ,never heard controlled power like that before or since ,remember a stupid dumbass smile spreading all over my face and turning to my mate who had the same stupid look on his face ,we knew the score ,this was it ,pure rock`n roll ,the real thing ,no amount of bootlegs or live cds does them justice,

we went backstage and the band were really cool my brother who`s always been a cheeky c8nt ribbed Sonic a bit ,told him he was much ugler in real life as he`d seen him on tv ,the Snub TV interview ,and he looked much better on tv ,then asked him if he should call him Mr Boom ,all good natured ,I think I had a quick blether with Jason about The Electric Cool Acid Test ,Sonic and Will were quite boisterous ,Jason not so ,we were on such a high from the show ,one of my fav. gigs ever , that in retrospect maybe their was some tension in the air ,but it wasn`t obvious at the time,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned something that appeared right at the end of The Heads interview: the re-issue of "Everybody Knows..." is going to be a TRIPLE cd!!!! :shock: :D 8)

Also, "Undersided" is getting a 2cd re-issue after that.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:I'm surprised no one's mentioned something that appeared right at the end of The Heads interview: the re-issue of "Everybody Knows..." is going to be a TRIPLE cd!!!! :shock: :D 8)

Also, "Undersided" is getting a 2cd re-issue after that.
There is work being done an a bonus disc for Relaxing With too that will sit by the recent double reissue. We just need some gigs!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have 10 questions into Asteroid #4. All of Laz69's included. The bonus question was the Scotland one.
As well as a review of the new Lp.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Issue 2 is another fantastic read! Seeing Captain Sensible in a very different light, as well as itching to take family on holiday to Chile sometime soon! :lol:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

My copy arrived a while back. I really enjoyed The Heads interview in particular. Many thanks to all concerned, I'll have a bash at ithe next ssue if/when it becomes available. Much easier on the eyes than the shite I usually have to read in the course of my work BTW...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A little proof reading to do but it's basically finished. Some great work by a few people on this very board helped make it worthwhile. More news as soon as things are finalised.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Issue 2 done and printed. Got mine yesterday but haven't had a chance to read it all yet. Another great effort Dave!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

On the money again Dave. Good work :)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

is this issue available to buy yet? ,as I can`t seem to figure out how to order it :?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Waiting for the issue with wine and beer tasting tests.

B,
M
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

niamhm wrote:is this issue available to buy yet? ,as I can`t seem to figure out how to order it :?
Should be details here:
http://opticalsoundsfanzine.blogspot.com/

Any problems drop me a PM or to sonic124 as it's his baby. Just got home from work but I am looking forward to reading it!
MODLAB wrote:Waiting for the issue with wine and beer tasting tests.

B,
M
Well we had an ad for the finest wine shop in Yorkshire (and beyond) in issue 1. In issue 2 there's an ad for a wonderful t-shirt and music shop in Detroit. :)

(quick disclaimer - no one is making any money from this mag. Dave is doing it purely because of his passion for the music it contains and everyone who's contributed is doing it for the same reasons. Issue 1 almost broke even. Everyone involved knows how much their contributions are appreciated I'm sure and I hope it will continue as Dave's enthusiasm is truly remarkable)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Yeah, I've been meaning to order this.

Is the first issue still available as well?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Should be. They are all hand printed to order.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Paypal is up now. Hope you all enjoy since the magazine is pretty much the work of people from this forum!!

http://opticalsoundsfanzine.blogspot.com/

apologies for massive postage charges!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Thanks to Dave and everyone on this board who contributed to v.2 (you know who you are!) looking forward to another great read :wink:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Ordered! Looking forward to this. Must have another read ofissue #1 at some stage....
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ordered and anticipated,cheers,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just ordered so looking forward to reading this soon. How do I go about ordering issue 1 as I completely forgot to order it at the time. Well done to all the contributors for getting this together by the way. Would be up for adding some material at some point myself... maybe a live or album review? Let me know.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Sounds good! Good to see a fanzine working out again these days.

B,

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have copies of Issue 1 for those in the US/ $10 post paid.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

really looking forward to #2, big shout out to all of the contributors :!:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

(quick disclaimer - no one is making any money from this mag. Dave is doing it purely because of his passion for the music it contains and everyone who's contributed is doing it for the same reasons. Issue 1 almost broke even. Everyone involved knows how much their contributions are appreciated I'm sure and I hope it will continue as Dave's enthusiasm is truly remarkable)[/quote]

I know this for a fact, printing is not cheap! Just buy it you'll love it and hopefully he'll be able to put out issue. 3 :!:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Too right BVCP206! Huge kudos to sonic124 for his incredible enthusiasm and commitment to get this ball rolling. We all know there is a massive hole in the magazine market when it comes to this type of music. Optical Sounds is doing what it can to fill that hole. Printing though is hugely expensive and a project like this quickly drinks expensive ink cartridges. So the goal is to stay in the black and at the very least break even with printing costs. With every 'zine sold that will help sonic124 attain this goal.

Issue one is beautiful and a wonder to read. I very much look forward to issue two and also hope that we can help create more issues in the future.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I've just got my copies of issues one and two (cheers Dave). Only had time for a quick thumb through issue one and it does look good. Can't wait to get stuck in.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Issue 2 arrived today, and a quick scan through would suggest it's even better than issue one. I'll give it a proper read next week as tomorrow this year's festie season kicks off for me at small Irish festival Vantastival :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

prompt delivery for issue 2 ,ariving today,unlike some cds ordered recently :evil:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got mine yesterday. Looking forward to reading it over the long weekend while avoiding the wedding nonsense. 8)

Ads...

PS: Still interested in getting my hands on issue 1 if its still available.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shinesalight wrote:PS: Still interested in getting my hands on issue 1 if its still available.
Drop Dave a line - should be possible as he prints every copy individually by hand.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Mine arrived today. Have only glanced but another good looking issue ready for me to dive into this weekend (along with the new issue of Ugly Things). I love the choice of typewriter font, Dave!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Having read most of it now can I just tip my cap to the guys involved ,a great read ,nice articles on Captain Sensible a long time fan giving plenty kudos to the mans psychedelic talents,completely turned on to the Lumerians now ,cheers ,very good interview with Sonic (did I pick up the vibe that he doesn`t seem to be in the same hurry to release new music as we are to hear something from the great man?) never the less good to read something about him.
Seems to be stacks of great music of a pyschedleic hue not getting hardly any coverage at all which is a great shame ,thankfully somebodies trying to do their bit to change that,oh yeah really enjoyed the piece on Loop ,should a been about 9 pages though :wink:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm glad you liked it. It has a good vibe and is really a way for those involved to get the music they have in their system out there. The enthusiasm is obvious which I really like. The Sensible piece is something close to my heart as that guy is massively underrated - his effortless delivery and obvious expertise when I saw the Damned last year after not seeing them for donkeys years really impressed me. He's a fantastic guitarist and deserves a lot more credit. I have tickets to see the Damned again this November as a result.

Pete K wants the Spectrum album finished and out for sure. That interview was done on the phone rather than by email and printed pretty much word for word - so it was easier to pick up on how he really felt about those subjects a lot more. He certainly sounded suspicious about people's attitudes towards music and how easy it is to obtain without paying for it - the download generation isn't something he's fond of. He sounded resigned to the fact that it's taking a long time but, as he said in the piece, no one is backing him to make the Spectrum album so he's financing it himself, and that's making it a slow process. Plus he's frantically busy with working on other people's music so the Spectrum project keeps getting put back as a result.

Issue 3 is in the pipeline. Dave has some choice bits for that already and some great people involved. I think the end of June is a rough date.