Cheval Sombre

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

sublow
Known user

Cheval Sombre

Post by sublow »

Im quite surprise that there is no mention of him over this forum.
Ive been enjoying his first album very much, and his new album Mad Love just came out and is equally beautiful.

Its sounds A LOT like sonic boom stuff, and yes, i know he is also behind this project, but still, the similarity and influence is very clear.

These are beautiful beautiful albums, and i HIGHLY recommend you guys to give it a listen if you havent already.

Cheers ! :D
Laz69
Known user

Re: Cheval Sombre

Post by Laz69 »

I love his first album. Really chilled and, as you say, beautiful songs. Not heard the new one yet, but i did see a clip of him playing in a church-type venue with Sonic online and it was amazing!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

re the chuch venue, he and PK are doing something similar later this month at St Pancras Old Church in London, 22nd November. I'm definately attending and have also had happy confirmation that although it is being held in a house of worship, they will be selling alcohol.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

The new Lp is great! Lucky folks who attend the gig this month!
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

Men, I bought this album, I found it good as the first one. There's a beautiful song co-written by Sonic and Cheval and another song that lasts 9 minutes very psychedelic. You can find l lot of little treats inside it, believe me.

I suggest you to buy it, it's one of the best work of 2012, and let me say, we're in november, so I wrote something important

Fede77
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Sonic is playing with Cheval this coming Thursday in London
CHEVAL SOMBRE & SONIC BOOM
Thursday, November 22 at 19:00

st. pancras old church
st. pancras way
london, london nw1

New York-based singer-songwriter Cheval Sombre plays a one-off show following the release of his hugely acclaimed second album 'Mad Love', accompanied by former Spacemen 3 legend Sonic Boom. In support are psych-folk duo The Left Outsides and Prayer Meeting, the new solo project from erstwhile Fields guitarist Jamie Putnam.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

This really is a beautiful album and, not unsurprisingly, has a bit of a Spectrum feel to it. Didn't realise just how much involvement Sonic had with the album.... I was under the impression that he just produced or mastered it but he plays on every track and co-wrote a couple of the tracks too. Really chilled out vibe and lush soundscapes. Gorgeous.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Shinesalight wrote:This really is a beautiful album and, not unsurprisingly, has a bit of a Spectrum feel to it. Didn't realise just how much involvement Sonic had with the album.... I was under the impression that he just produced or mastered it but he plays on every track and co-wrote a couple of the tracks too. Really chilled out vibe and lush soundscapes. Gorgeous.
Yes, it's really tremendous stuff.

It would be difficult to imagine music further removed from the word 'frantic'.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

This interview has just reminded me to buy this album, I'd not got round to it.

http://fracturedair.com/tag/spacemen-3/
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

great interview. Mad Love is amazing on vinyl. Still searching for the first one on vinyl.
I think I feel it coming on
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Also a live show can be bought on bandcamp, http://soniccathedral.bandcamp.com/albu ... rch-london

or in a cassette format from Sonic Cathedral -

>>>>> Cheval Sombre's show at St Pancras Old Church in London last November was one of those 'I was there' moments. A hushed and understated display of the man's talents, all aided and abetted by Spacemen 3 legend Sonic Boom.

Luckily, Joel Cormack, the sound engineer, recorded the whole thing, so on June 15 we are going to release it on a Camden Market-style bootleg cassette. If you've thrown your tape player away, then don't worry - the cassette comes with a card to download all eight tracks from Bandcamp in the format of your choice. It would appear you might have been a bit hasty, though, as cassettes are making a comeback according to this recent BBC report.

***PRE-ORDER YOUR CASSETTE HERE!***

If you don't want the physical product you can simply download all eight tracks from our Bandcamp page.

We're also selling a limited number of giclée art prints of Sharon Lock's stunning poster for the show. They are professionally printed using archival inks on heavyweight 100% cotton rag paper and the print size is 10.5" x 7", plus white borders. Anyone ordering one will also receive a copy of the cassette. All proceeds from these will be donated to the St Pancras Old Church Appeal, which is raising money for repairs to this historic building.

***PRE-ORDER YOUR POSTER HERE!***

>>>>> A reminder that Nick Talbot, aka Gravenhurst, will be playing an intimate solo show for us tomorrow night (Friday, May 24). The show takes place in the beautiful Heath Street Baptist Church in London’s leafy Hampstead.

The supporting line-up is impressive too – Norfolk-based singer/songwriter Mary Epworth (whose debut album ‘Dream Life’ is well worth getting hold of) and our favourite psych-folk duo The Left Outsides, who have just released their excellent new album ‘The Shape Of Things To Come’ via Dead Meadow’s Xemu label.

***BUY YOUR TICKETS HERE!***

Doors are at 7pm, and music will finish in good time for you to take the short, five-minute stroll back down to the tube. And just in case you were wondering, THERE WILL BE A BAR!

If you want to let other people know that you're coming, here's the Facebook event page.

www.soniccathedral.co.uk
Change email address / Leave mailing list
Powered by YMLP
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

just ordered that - my favourite musical evening of last year I reckon.

Poster, mp3, plus cassette (not sure what to do what this bit tbh) for £15.

Most excellent work Nathaniel.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mad Love cd is currently available for £4 in the Sonic Cathedral shop: http://soniccathedral.bigcartel.com/category/cds
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Anyone else got a copy of the new Cheval Sombre 7" , "It’s Not Time"? It comes on a lovely green and black vinyl. Although nice and mellow, it sounds quite different to the stuff on his last album. I think it must just be him on his own, because it has no Sonic like keyboards that give it that dreamy quality and feel. Wonder if his new long player is a completely solo affair?
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Dean Wareham has mentioned that he may be working on a country lp with CS in the near future..that would be cool
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Well, it's finally arriving. The joint Dean Wareham/Cheval Sombre "western" album. Go to wait until October, but very much lookign forward to this:

https://deanwareham.com/pre-order-album

:D
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

new 7" available now too:

http://fatelvisrecords.com/

sonic mixing, producing and playing of course
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

snagged a copy of all 5 versions including the Wax Mage and a test pressing. Geeked!
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I see that the latest Cheval Sombre 7" - Had enough blues, is available in UK places. The P&P was too much for me from the states - just bought a copy from Sonic Cathedral. Smashing!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

We flew to NYC weekend before last ago to see Cheval Sombre live at a very small venue in Brooklyn. It was magic. Had the chance to speak with him at length afterward and he was kind enough to sign all of the vinyl I had brought with me and exchange a hug. We might go back to NYC see him and Dean Wareham play on December 7th.
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

purespace wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm We flew to NYC weekend before last ago to see Cheval Sombre live at a very small venue in Brooklyn. It was magic. Had the chance to speak with him at length afterward and he was kind enough to sign all of the vinyl I had brought with me and exchange a hug. We might go back to NYC see him and Dean Wareham play on December 7th.
very jealous. i'm sorta amazed he hasn't received the acclaim that he deserves. he has consistently released wonderful recordings. was really hoping they would have released the live recording in London with Sonic on vinyl, really have no use for a cassette. I tend to wax and wane on Dean Wareham, but the bits of the new cover LP I've heard are fantastic. covers seem to suit Dean well.

also thinking of heading to NYC for the show, not sure as we are literally in the process of closing on a new home, but maybe just maybe everything will be back to normal by then!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

a beautiful shonn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:57 pm
purespace wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm We flew to NYC weekend before last ago to see Cheval Sombre live at a very small venue in Brooklyn. It was magic. Had the chance to speak with him at length afterward and he was kind enough to sign all of the vinyl I had brought with me and exchange a hug. We might go back to NYC see him and Dean Wareham play on December 7th.
very jealous. i'm sorta amazed he hasn't received the acclaim that he deserves. he has consistently released wonderful recordings. was really hoping they would have released the live recording in London with Sonic on vinyl, really have no use for a cassette. I tend to wax and wane on Dean Wareham, but the bits of the new cover LP I've heard are fantastic. covers seem to suit Dean well.

also thinking of heading to NYC for the show, not sure as we are literally in the process of closing on a new home, but maybe just maybe everything will be back to normal by then!
Hey Shonn!
We pulled the trigger and will be at the NYC show on December 7th. There's also a Velvet Underground exhibit running October - December about 4 blocks from the gig venue so we're hitting that the next day. If you end up coming over, let's make a plan to share a pint. Here's a shot of the 5 versions of Had Enough Blues (test pressing included) that Cheval signed for me at the Brooklyn show along with a limited hand numbered poem booklet of his (#43/99) he gave me as a birthday gift
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

That Dec. 7th show is at (le) poisson rouge?
That's a pretty cool venue.
I saw that J. Spaceman show with Kid Millions there that they officially released.
It's a cool little spot with table service and a good menu to snack on.
1st come, 1st seated.
Not a bad spot in the house.
I'm 20 min north of Manhattan.
Might try to make it down for that show.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

good dope/good fun wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:14 pm That Dec. 7th show is at (le) poisson rouge?
That's a pretty cool venue.
I saw that J. Spaceman show with Kid Millions there that they officially released.
It's a cool little spot with table service and a good menu to snack on.
1st come, 1st seated.
Not a bad spot in the house.
I'm 20 min north of Manhattan.
Might try to make it down for that show.
If you decide to go, PM me for a pre-show or during show pint. Love meeting long time board members in person :)
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

wow what a nice collection, well done. I know I have a split 7" and that's about it. I don't ever see his vinyl at the shops. I don't blame you for loading up when you can!

will definitely let you know if we are going make the show. yeah I agree it would be great to meet up.

not sure If you have heard:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/dean-wareh ... collab-lp/
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

That cover of "If I Could Only Fly" is absolutely beautiful. Really really beautiful. Thanks for sharing that.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Got the Dean Wareham vs Cheval Sombre album yesterday. Listened to to three times in a row last night. Great stuff. Highly recommended. What a wonderful collection of 10 songs.

Ste
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Just finished "Black Postcards" by Dean. Enlightening and light. Honest confession ruing a gig while having a E in pocket makes us all same. Spain saves!

Sonic "the hedgehog". For warm-up band feeling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIGN93cNcKo
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Really enjoying the Dean Wareham v Cheval Sombre album as well. A great collection of songs. Also a heads up for people in the US, the Dean Wareham shop has got some additional copies of the Root beer coloured vinyl on sale, with signed copies for $30. I would have got one but the postage to UK pushes it up to $53. Anyway, if you're in the US this seems a bargain, especially as some chancer is trying to flog one for $120 on discogs, albeit with the additional lathe cut single.