Spacemen Pod

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Ian
Known user

Spacemen Pod

Post by Ian »

Here's the first of what we hope will be a series of Spacemen 3 themed podcasts, hosted by myself and Runcible. If you fancy listening to a couple of long time fans nattering on about their enthusiasm for the band, then this is for you!

Spacemen Pod
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
sunray
Known user

Re: Spacemen Pod

Post by sunray »

Nice one chaps. Only met Runci once but i don't remember him sounding like that :)
Transcendental Cosmic Fuck-rock played by Superfit amphetamine Visionary Poet-druids
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

thanks, guys. That was fun to listen to.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:52 am Only met Runci once but i don't remember him sounding like that :)
I had more hair back then... :wink:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Wonderful listen :D
'Remember, change is not good'
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Loved it.

Well done to you both.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Subscribed! Can't wait to listen.

Thanks for doing all this!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Second episode out now, at the same address as in the first post on this thread.

This time we chat about Transparent Radiation, the November 1985 gig at the Mercia Leisure Centre, and Greg Jarvis from Flowers Of Hell tells us about his Spacemen 3 voyage of discovery.

(We went on too long this time so apologies for the length - we shall try and be more concise in future.)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

That Transparent Radiation discussion made my head hurt (in a good way). However, the next day i went down the TR wormhole and listened to all the studio versions. What struck me most is that for 30 years i've been hearing (and singing to myself) the wrong lyrics! :oops:

All my misheard lyrics are in brackets at the end.

Towards insanitary bits of HIDE (Life)

Split nostrils HOVERING or ARE GREEN open wide (Hungry) I really hope it's not 'are green'. That just reminds me of a snotty nose!

I walk through BUSHEL & PECK OF GRAIN (Bush & land & pick off prey)

STYROFOAM people quite violent (Starfolk)

Funny bird with it's forehead BENT (Bare)

With the last one, even though every line in that verse ends in '...ent' i still heard bare instead of bent.

I actually prefer 'my' lyrics :lol:
Transcendental Cosmic Fuck-rock played by Superfit amphetamine Visionary Poet-druids
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

had a listen to episode 2 over the weekend, very much enjoyed it and will be continuing to listen.

the fact that 2 people came to that Coventry gig really brings home how out of step the band were- looking back it's amazing how they stuck to their guns really with such a minimalist musical style. before the internet I don't know how fans of this stuff would even find each other!

I also liked the little musical stings to transition to the next part- very Spacemen!

sunray wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:52 am Nice one chaps. Only met Runci once but i don't remember him sounding like that :)
it must be Runci's "radio voice"! :)
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

If this forum had a "like" button, I would have been hitting it regularly throughout this thread. Thanks so much everyone, glad you're enjoying the podcast so far. The next few are planned and the next should be along before the end of the month. Do please carry on letting us know what you think, both positive and negative, it's good to know what is popular and less successful.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

As you appear to be discussing a particular song each episode i'd like to volunteer Rollercoaster for a future show.

"We want Spacemen Pod NOW!!! C'mon Spacemen Pod, play again!"
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:07 pm "We want Spacemen Pod NOW!!! C'mon Spacemen Pod, play again!"
:lol: :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Lots of nice comments which is great. Thank you so much!

I have to hand it to Ian who has done 90% of the work. Probably more actually.

Part 3 is in the pipeline. I enjoyed doing that one the most so far and I think people will find it very interesting. I know I did!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

sunray wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:07 pm "We want Spacemen Pod NOW!!! C'mon Spacemen Pod, play again!"
Ha! Whenever I hear that bit, I tend to think...

veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Just adding that it has been a marvelous idea and future is bright for this endeavour. Loving the tempo of it! Also good that Mark having a bigger bank of personal experience with the actual band, is not the driving force of the show. Don't get me wrong, i'm only commenting from the good side of it, meaning that Ian is perfect for the role of leading that show and Mark has his shoulder against it all the time, but both never interrupt each other by wanting to outdo themselves. I wonder how much can you squeez out of dissecting "Dreamweapon"? That would be a challenge, as it seems that all the background info has been out there by now for a long time, but it still would be interesting perhaps to hear what the two hosts could put together dissecting that thing.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Cheers guys, pod subscribed to and will be catching up on back episodes the next few days, no review yet but I`m sure its f#ckin` great 8)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Ian wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:00 pm Second episode out now, at the same address as in the first post on this thread.

This time we chat about Transparent Radiation, the November 1985 gig at the Mercia Leisure Centre, and Greg Jarvis from Flowers Of Hell tells us about his Spacemen 3 voyage of discovery.

(We went on too long this time so apologies for the length - we shall try and be more concise in future.)
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the length. If it's interesting, which it was, then I'm happy to listen for as long as whoever wants to go on for. Sure others must feel the same.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

sunray wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:47 pm That Transparent Radiation discussion made my head hurt (in a good way). However, the next day i went down the TR wormhole and listened to all the studio versions. What struck me most is that for 30 years i've been hearing (and singing to myself) the wrong lyrics! :oops:

Split nostrils HOVERING or ARE GREEN open wide (Hungry) I really hope it's not 'are green'. That just reminds me of a snotty nose!

With the last one, even though every line in that verse ends in '...ent' i still heard bare instead of bent.

The one thing that's always got my goat about Transparent Radiation is that Mayo Thompson quite clearly sings "Selfless MAIDEN slip by my side", but thanks to Spacemen 3's mistake in transcription, it's now given as the lyric everywhere.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

You're quite right about the maiden/man thing. Whether it is that clear in the original is open to question! I think Pete did a better job than I would of making out what is being sung on the original, even if he doesn't get it spot on. As far as I can make out, these are the sung lyrics.

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:47 pm That Transparent Radiation discussion made my head hurt (in a good way). However, the next day i went down the TR wormhole and listened to all the studio versions. What struck me most is that for 30 years i've been hearing (and singing to myself) the wrong lyrics! :oops:

Far too many of these are also how i've heard/known them! You are not alone! :lol:
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

In the new episode of Spacemen Pod, Runcible and I talk to Mark Refoy about his time in many Northampton bands in the 1980s, as well as his experiences of seeing Spacemen 3 as a fan. The next epsiode will be along sooner than usual, where the chat with Mark continues as he tells us about his time in Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized. Link in the first post of this thread.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

What a nice surprise that was. Obviously the real meat will be when Mark talks about his time in the band (nice cliffhanger!) but still interesting to hear about the local scene and all the different bands he was in.
Imagine being a huge fan of a band.. And then later actually joining them!!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

angelsighs wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:54 pm Imagine being a huge fan of a band.. And then later actually joining them!!
Marc Riley said something along these lines about The Fall: "I was their biggest fan when I joined, and I was still their biggest fan when I was sacked".
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Listened to the first two episodes, well done, sounds great, nice relaxed vibe you`ve got going and very informative to boot so yeah, big thumbs up :) find myself listening to podcasts almost as much as I listen to radio these days, maybe more, its a great medium, look forward to many more episodes.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Ian, can you get Pat Fish? That would be awesome. Or maybe even Dave Barker from Glass Records?
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

veiko wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:39 pm Ian, can you get Pat Fish? That would be awesome. Or maybe even Dave Barker from Glass Records?
Pat is definitely someone I'd like to talk to, but I haven't asked him yet. The thing is that I know pretty much nothing about his music, and worry that it would be a bit insulting to ask him to talk about his Spacemen connections while ignoring his enormous body of work. Dave Barker would be great to have on, I swapped a few messages with him on a Facebook page for another band he was heavily involved in, but he went very quiet when I mentioned Spacemen 3! (Almost certainly a coincidence, there are photos from the last few years of him with both Pete and Jason.)
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

In this new episode, we continue our chat with Mark Refoy, talking about his time in Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized, and we examine I Love You from the final Spacemen3 album Recurring. www.spacemen3.co.uk/pod

Photo of Mark with the first Spiritualized lineup courtesy of Phil Nicholls (https://www.instagram.com/philnichollsphotography/).
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Episode five is now live, continuing the interview with Mark. This time we talk about the recording of Pure Phase. The original plan was for this to be the last part about Mark's solo work, but that's been pushed off until next time. Mark was keen to talk about Pure Phase, and the chance to tie it in to the reissue was too good to pass up.

Photo of Mark with the first Spiritualized lineup courtesy of Phil Nicholls (https://www.instagram.com/philnichollsphotography/).