Earth name check Spacemen 3

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

plastic37
Known user

Earth name check Spacemen 3

Post by plastic37 »

Earth mention Spacemen 3 in this interview
http://pitchfork.com/news/41370-5-10-15 ... n-carlson/
I'm sure we all enjoy it when bands reference Spacemen 3.

I like Earth. Superb live. Hardly ever listen to their records. I was reading the interview as it mentions Black Sabbath and the Home of Metal project i am working on.
If you like Godflesh, and I am sure some of you do, you might want to venture over the Home of Metal archive
http://www.homeofmetal.com/the-archive/ ... -4th-1990/

where you will find people talking about seeing Godflesh and various interesting items from the days when Spacemen 3 were still about. The chap on that link was a sound engineer with The Darkside for a spell. Fancy that.
Heavy Tourism
toomilk
Known user

Re: Earth name check Spacemen 3

Post by toomilk »

"That's the double 10"...."

NOT REAL FANS.

(just kidding)
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I was at that Loop/Godflesh/World Domination Enterprises gig.

That was the first time I saw Godflesh where the volume was bearable. Had seen them at The School of Oriental & African studies supporting Killdozer and they were making the windows in the toilets vibrate at the other side of the building (quite a way away). That was a gig I listened to (rather than watched) from the foyer where the noise levels were just a couple of notches under fucking ridiculous.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

He also mentions Spiritualized's "Electric Mainline" as "not a good rehab record" but something that he liked.

I assume that he meant Pure Phase.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nickh wrote:I was at that Loop/Godflesh/World Domination Enterprises gig.
Yeah I was at that too (among many other gig experiences you and I shared whilst not knowing each other Nick!). I thought Godflesh were excellent and bought that album with all the burning crosses on, but I really didn't like it.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

runcible wrote:
nickh wrote:I was at that Loop/Godflesh/World Domination Enterprises gig.
Yeah I was at that too (among many other gig experiences you and I shared whilst not knowing each other Nick!). I thought Godflesh were excellent and bought that album with all the burning crosses on, but I really didn't like it.
I did think when I was typing this post you were probably at this one Mark!

The only songs from that record I like are Streetcleaner and Christbait Rising and I listen to them sparingly.

I had a friend who was a big fan of the whole grindcore scene. He was always dragging me to Napalm Death's earlyish gigs in awful shithole pubs and they never showed up (or I had fucked off before they did). He would get quite sniffy about me going to see Spacemen 3 who he thought were a bunch of po faced wankers and I should be going with him to see Carcass or whoever.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I too went to a Loop, World Dom, Godlflesh gig.
Manchester. With my sister. i taped it. Between one of the songs in the Loop set you can hear her say: "What are people supposed to DO to this music?"
I think we know the answer to that, though thankfully its been a while.
Taking...
Heavy Tourism
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

plastic37 wrote:I too went to a Loop, World Dom, Godlflesh gig.
Manchester.
One I went to was in London. 29.1.89. Actually maybe Godflesh played at another gig with Loop come to think of it...?
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

runcible wrote:
plastic37 wrote:I too went to a Loop, World Dom, Godlflesh gig.
Manchester.
One I went to was in London. 29.1.89. Actually maybe Godflesh played at another gig with Loop come to think of it...?
There was a Justin Broadrick band called Sweet Tooth who supported Loop at the Kilburn show. I don’t remember much about them other than they made an equally un-holy racket (not a criticism) as Godflesh and had a drummer instead of a drum machine, cool T-shirts too.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Earth are one of my favourite bands. Dylan is a fukn genius. They haven't made a duff record as far as I'm concerned, and I can't wait for the new one to drop this week. Some of the tracks are on youtube already if anyone is interested.

Not the greatest quality but you get the idea. The Cello in it sounds amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb-3eBlv_qE