Call The Doctor

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

jadams501
Known user

Call The Doctor

Post by jadams501 »

I was just listening to the Forged Prescriptions version of this and... wow. It's perfect in every way and one of the high points of the Spacemen/Sonic/Spz catalogue.

Not only is the production (in both versions, but particularly the alternate take) spot-on, but the lyrics are dazzlingly literary but nonetheless also simple and direct. There are so many strands of the Spacemen's influences -- some blues, some Velvets, some garage rock, even a bit of Victorian songs of moral rectitude like "Pictures from Life's Other Side." And it all combines into something that could only have been made by the Spacemen. I'd say it's timeless, and it almost is, except that I don't think anything as good could be done today.
spunder
Known user

Re: Call The Doctor

Post by spunder »

better than JJ Cale?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I recently heard the Bardo Pond version while listening to the SP3 tribute album... i always liked their take on it...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Bardo do some excellent cover versions. Their Cry Baby Cry is impressive but their take on Hawkwind's Lord of Light is absolutely ridiculous - the end section is well intense...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Indeed it is Mark... i only recently heard that and its a fantastic cover version... can you imagine a covers album of theirs???