sound of confusion/definitive lp issues

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

anorthernsoul
Known user

sound of confusion/definitive lp issues

Post by anorthernsoul »

i've been toying with starting a thread like this for a while entirely for my own selfish means. there's regular advice and comment on here about the difference in quality between issues of spacemen 3 lps, but without taking into account the bonus tracks and discs, which are the best to buy? i'm frightened of buying things if things like transparent radiation are gonna be interrupted half way through.

i've searched the internet high and low for sound of confusion on glass; record collector lists it at £25 - is that about right?

any help on hunting down GLALP 018, or advice on spacemen lp buying, is appreciated. this isn't really for a massive list telling me what to buy and from where, but any pointers would be top.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

There really is no "definitive" SOC release. The TAANG CD is as good as anything else although the bonus tracks (WWJ 12" + a 2:35 demo) appear elsewhere, but if you can't get the proper Translucent Flashbacks (i.e. with the unedited Rollercoaster) it's what you want. Sound quality is decent (for once) and the artwork is a vast improvement on the original, so long as you're not picky about that kinda thing.

The original Glass PP on vinyl has the best sound quality I've ever heard for that LP. I've never heard any CD issue of it with the infamous gap in Ecstasy Symphony/Transparent Radiation, but it's been so often reported that I have no reason to doubt they do exist. Avoid the TAANG reissue.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

thanks for that ...
i've just managed to get a sound of confusion on glass, so i'll be hunting for a perfect prescription soon i expect. i'll get the cd issues sooner or later to supplement what i've got.

is forged prescriptions the chronological-buying-defying bag of treats that i think it'll be?
ro
Known user

Re: lp to cd

Post by ro »

that's pure poetry