New Sonic Boom Interview

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

mc
Known user

New Sonic Boom Interview

Post by mc »

Found this on the Collected Animals forum:

http://www.alteredzones.com/posts/1234/ ... onic-boom/

Some interesting comments on Jason's musical style and the recording of The Perfect Prescription. If I'm not reading too much into Sonic's words, it seems that Jason was the driving force behind the more intricate mixes that eventually appeared on Forged Prescriptions. I guess that shouldn't be surprising, but I had the impression that both Sonic and Jason wanted the songs to sound very layered and intricate then decided to scale them back afterwards.
johnnyboy
Known user

Re: New Sonic Boom Interview

Post by johnnyboy »

That's a great link, cheers.

Mastering the next Wooden Shjips album should be interesting.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

mc wrote:Found this on the Collected Animals forum:

http://www.alteredzones.com/posts/1234/ ... onic-boom/

Some interesting comments on Jason's musical style and the recording of The Perfect Prescription. If I'm not reading too much into Sonic's words, it seems that Jason was the driving force behind the more intricate mixes that eventually appeared on Forged Prescriptions. I guess that shouldn't be surprising, but I had the impression that both Sonic and Jason wanted the songs to sound very layered and intricate then decided to scale them back afterwards.
I think the idea to scale them back was more Sonic's thing. Didn't Jason actually say that this was always a problem for him? That he wanted the songs to be more layered, but Pete would always say, "No, we can't do that."
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The issue seemed to be that for them to appear the way they originally intended (like on some of Forged Prescriptions) the songs would be impossible to do live so they changed them to some extent.
Drussell622+
Known user

Post by Drussell622+ »

"I suppose I do believe in spirituality and stuff, but I think it's more within than from some outside force. I think it developed more through psychedelics. There was a strong sense of déjà vu with psychedelics that opened up things that I experienced as a child that had been fairly fleeting or distant memories. I feel like there was a type of therapy involved" He describes psychedelics better than almost any other musician I've ever heard he never comes off as cliched or out of touch with reality