Revolution cover...

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Revolution cover...

Post by runcible »

I don't know these guys but Roadburn is a cool festival by all accounts. A tad stoner rock but really nice people involved and the 013 in Tilburg is a great venue..

Pharoah Overlord are from Finland and connected to drone loopers Circle I'm told.

http://www.roadburn.com/?p=14910

sunray
Known user

Re: Revolution cover...

Post by sunray »

Pharaoh Overlord again. This time off their upcoming album Zero: https://soundcloud.com/ektrorecords/pha ... revolution
You wanna help stop war? Well we reject your application. You crack too many jokes and you eat meat.
https://soundcloud.com/the-balsaw-garden-party

wilder
New user

Post by wilder »

I'm a little loopy this morning but it sounds like he is burping the lyrics.

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

wilder wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:13 pm
There is a touch of Yoda/Fozzie Bear going on too. The music is OK, the vox are pure comedy gold.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:27 pm
wilder wrote:
There is a touch of Yoda/Fozzie Bear going on too. The music is OK, the vox are pure comedy gold.
it's often the way isn't it? a lot of metal music is badass musically, then the vocals come in and it's risible.

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:25 pm
olan wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:27 pm
wilder wrote:
it's often the way isn't it? a lot of metal music is badass musically, then the vocals come in and it's risible.
Yep. I think that's way I enjoyed Monolord so much recently, their vocals were normal rock style swathed in echo. UFOMammut were right up against the edge of Metal when I saw them live but retained a typical rock vocal which kept them within the realms of Heavy Psych.
You wanna help stop war? Well we reject your application. You crack too many jokes and you eat meat.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:09 pm
Yep. I think that's way I enjoyed Monolord so much recently, their vocals were normal rock style swathed in echo. UFOMammut were right up against the edge of Metal when I saw them live but retained a typical rock vocal which kept them within the realms of Heavy Psych.
exactly. it's a bit of a grey area sometimes where metal meets stoner rock or heavy psych.
would like some more recommendations along these lines if possible..

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 pm
sunray wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:09 pm
exactly. it's a bit of a grey area sometimes where metal meets stoner rock or heavy psych.
would like some more recommendations along these lines if possible..
I'll give it a go John but i'm no expert in this field, just have a casual interest really.

These kind of bands essentially operate within a Stoner/Sludge/Doom axis with elements of Post-rock, Prog and Psych but this might only amount to something as simple as a chord change or effect that makes you think "Oh, a bit Proggy there". Needless to say they all love a BIG RIFF.

Vocals range from rock to cookie monster. Unfortunately the rock vocal can too often veer into RAWK territory :roll:

I think all these bands would be greatly improved if they adopted a Dave Wyndorf from Monster Magnet or the dude from Pigsx7 vocal style. Or even Robert Hampson from Loop.

Slomatics: Very sludgey with a more rock vocal.
Dopelord: Stoner / Doom w/rock vocal.
Dopethrone: Named after an Electric Wizard album. Very heavy Sludge / Doom but the singer opts more for a screechy Black Metal style. If you can get past the vocals the music really hits the spot. Playing Birmingham at the end of the month.
Bongripper: Instrumental Doom.
Motherplant: Stoner Doom w/ plenty of Psych influence.
Old Red Skin: Instrumental Stoner.
Weeed: Describe themselves as Hippie Metal! Definitely more of a Heavy Psych vibe here and not so much vocals.
Also try out the bands in initial post: UFOMammut and Monolord.

As with all Stoner or Doom based bands it can get a bit samey but I find dropping in just occasionally can really blast away the cobwebs!

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for the tips Joycey I think some bandcamp listening is in order this weekend!