so Where is Ian Goodchild?

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

clewsr
Known user

so Where is Ian Goodchild?

Post by clewsr »

Took possession of the Spacemen book today, and notice that Ian Godchild is about the only board member to get an acknowledgement, apart from perhaps 'Love, Ian' and Runcible.

So Ian G where are you? I bet you still browse this board occasionally. Give us a post to show you haven't disappeared completely....

Favorite bit in the pages I've read so far?
'I can't believe Elvis Died for this'
- some film goer exposed to the Dreamweapon show.

Post by Guest »

well i got a mention in the UK/Europe aknowledgements...although im not a particularly prolific poster on the board!!!

Christopher.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Sorry Christopher - didn't mean to beliitle anyone's involvement! What was your input, and have you got a copy of the book yet?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I got a nice comment plus some picture credits and have even been quoted on a couple of occasions. Erik did talk to a lot of people.
The Black Lodge
Known user

Post by The Black Lodge »

Forgot to log-in before!!!

Erik contacted me and asked if i could supply him with copies of gigs that i had acquired.
Not exactly sure why he wanted them but he was nice enough to give me an aknowledgement.

Yes, i do have the book. Was delivered yesterday, so ive only got through the first 80 or so pages.

Im not convinced by all the DREAMWEAPON posturing at the start.
And the natural tendency for books like this to slip into the "he said this", "then he did that" format is already becoming apparent, but hey, its the nature of the beast.

Im not too sure about the small section on sexuality...it just seems to be stuck in there...i cant say the question of either sonic or jasons sexual persuasion has ever even occured to me!!!
Perhaps there was more to it and it just went over my head???

So far im thoroughly enjoying it...or maybe im just a sucker for rock 'n' roll drug anecdotes??? ;)

Christopher
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

I'm nearly at the end and to be honest haven't learned much new at all. But then I've been a fan since Recurring came out when I was 15 (nearly twice that now so have had 15 yearsa of reading and delving). I expect alot of Spz fans or people who have only heard about Sp3 from reissues or association with newer groups will get alot out of it.

What's obvoiusly lacking is Jason's side but then we knew that already. In some ways I admire and understand the split between personal life and musical public life but it makes the book too lop-sided.

Very much agree with the above re sexual preference. It's never even occured to me in connection with Sp3 or any subsequent bands. Not sure why it's in the book at all really.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'm about two thirds through it now. It is an interesting read. Mainly though it makes me feel a little sad or whitsfull perhaps for what could have been...if girlfriends, drugs and circumstances hadn't had got in the way, then that song writing partnership could and should have delivered an awfull lot more.
The Black Lodge
Known user

Post by The Black Lodge »

Without the "girlfriends, drugs and circumstances" there would have been no songs...

Christopher.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

lol. fair point.
Ian Goodchild
Known user

I'm back!!!!! And pissed!

Post by Ian Goodchild »

I've been away, because I've heard nought to excite me, and nothing to irritate me, but now I find this...this...further outrage perpetrated against me, in respect of the...book. It's coaxed me out of my hermetically sealed existence.

Do you know how many days I spent collating articles/posters/gig tickets/spacemen related correspondence, photocopying them, and sending parcels over to the states for that...book?!?! Well, I'll tell you - lots. Yes, Erik did send me a nice book on 'Beat Punks' signed by Victor Bockris, which I love, and money to cover the cost of photocopying, but I spent fucking hours doing all that. That's all the thanks I get. I don't care if he needed to interview the fucking Pope - Ian Goodchild is everything that represents the anally retentive, esoterica loving, detail knowing, supremely arrogant 'I'm-the-best-and-longest-fanboy-of-spacemen 3' character that all REAL (see, I even capitalised 'real' to show how seriously I take this) Sp 3 fans have.

Now I understand how Sonic feels, and agree with him 110% about everything negative he said about 'Dreamweapon'. In fact, I don't think I'll even buy the book now.

In fact, I'm tempted to write my own book. Nope, that requires effort. I'll just moan instead. :) :)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

:shock: :shock:

Well, welcome back Ian. Glad I coaxed you out of retirement. But haven't got a fucking clue what you'e on about.

Did you want Eric to put you on the front cover? :D
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

thats crap (warnig runcible and retent, this is not a flame) i feel for you as well. i was involved in getting the spiritualized dvd together from the san diego in store.

look at it this way at least your hard work and devotion produced something. i will read the book and thank you in advance. if you ever see the san diego in store of spiritualized, think of me brother!

xxxshonnxxx
BsaInFortuna

I'm nobody and that makes me sad

Post by BsaInFortuna »

Although I suspect someone has edited your post Ian G i think that attitude is supremely sad...I mean I INVENTED Spacemen 3 back in 1983 at the age of 5 and wheres my fucking ca$hmoney???

[it seems the world is full of those who claim "I could have done that"....SO WHY DIDN'T YOU?]

Were you expecting a front page tribute? Or just 'lightly miffed' you didn't get a credit for third guitar on 'Playing With Fire'?

I suspect the real reason you are having such a hissy fit is because once again, people are getting into a band that YOU SAW FIRST.

Like some kind of Old Testament God, you will only reply if we mention thou by name....

Its about time for a Menswear retrospective and IAN you are the man
thrill this do?

Post by thrill this do? »

It could, of course (and this is my theory) be an extremely dry joke by Ian...I doubt he'll explain himself, even if here is a Second Coming.

(if I am right, give yourself a 'woooooosh' (that's the noise of something going over your head), ABN et al).
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

you know, Thrill, I think you might just be right. :roll:

Ian - please desist from using humour on these boards. Only Orbital is allowed to do that. Everyone else must argue and have hissy fits.
thrill this do?

Post by thrill this do? »

It's me, Willthisdo? but I forgot to log in again!

To quote Comic Book Store Bloke (whateverrrrr): "there is no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now!!"
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Dreamweapon

Post by Ian Goodchild »

>>>>>woooooooosh!!!
Okay, for posters other than Clewsr, and those who know me, let me put my previous post into perspective. A little quote from Blackadder should do:
Blackadder: Have you no conception of what irony is, Baldrick?
Baldrick (in response): Yeh, it's like goldy...or coppery.

(n.b. On a serious note, Erik is a great guy. He did send me the book I mentioned, and I think he did a fine job with 'Dreamweapon'. Some of Sonic's criticisms are valid, but I think the book is as balanced as it could be.)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Ha ha ha ha...oh.

Post by BzaInSpace »

yeah...heavy irony indeed sounding exactly like you have done before, with regards to other product.

But really! Good to hear from you again Ian.
veiko
Known user

Re: I'm back!!!!! And pissed!

Post by veiko »

Ian Goodchild wrote: In fact, I'm tempted to write my own book.
well, i would not mind writing it together with you!

come on, Ian. lets do it.