For All The Fucked Up Children

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

jadams501
Known user

For All The Fucked Up Children

Post by jadams501 »

Astonishing collection, and amazing that the Spacemen aesthetic was more or less intact from day one. Most bands' best albums are not this good, let alone their first demos. An essential part of any Spacemen 3 collection.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: For All The Fucked Up Children

Post by runcible »

Is this the CD or the original demos? If so I don't play it very much - more for interest than anything. Only OD Catastrophe (called TV Catastrophe) is really hinting at what they were going to do.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I am referring to the cd of the original demos. You should give them another shot. Tv catastrophe is great, but the version(s) of things'll never be the same is fantastic and one of the best arrangements of the song. Fixin to die is a fascinating look at the making of come down easy and also an insight into the band's rural roots in folk and blues. The garage influences came to the fore later on, but in some ways the demos reflect the purest expression of what the spacemen were all about.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sorry - typo. That's what I meant. Out of curiosity which version do you have? Sympathy released it officially but before that a limited run of 500 were done on the oddly named Quiver At Dawn Enterprises label. You don't see those too often.

It's an interesting CD but I don't find it that rewarding bar the nature of hearing what those songs sounded like back then. The bluesy angle is interesting but if I play Spacemen 3 it's not the CD I'd reach for. I find a lot of the How The Blues Should've Turned Out more interesting as they'd found their niche and were just starting to perfect it. The 1st CD of that has some fascinating stuff - you can hear their obsession with The Cramps shining through on stuff like Blow My Top and the addition of masses of guitar noise was now almost standard.
Ro S_repeater
Known user

Post by Ro S_repeater »

I acquired this album on vinyl not long after it came out.

I was rather disappointed with it. But it's interesting nevertheless.

S3 certainly got it together by the time they did their Northampton demos (TDTMMTTDT)