Spacemen 3 Live In Europe 1989 Double UK LP

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

semisynthetic
Known user

Spacemen 3 Live In Europe 1989 Double UK LP

Post by semisynthetic »

I would like some help on this, please.

"Spacemen 3 Live In Europe" 1989 Double UK LP Space Age 3rd Stone;
is this release a re-issue, or the original release?
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
bbbhenko
Known user

Re: Spacemen 3 Live In Europe 1989 Double UK LP

Post by bbbhenko »

as far as i know, that album has not been reissued on vinyl by space age since it was first released in 1995
no such reissue is listed in discogs either ( http://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-Live- ... ase/542042 )
maybe someone else knows for sure?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

No Spaceage vinyl reissue has been pressed - I know that for a fact. This is, of course, the vinyl version of Bomp's 'Spacemen Are Go!' CD, but it has more music on it. Or ar least I think it does - I'd need to double check as I haven't played my Bomp! CD for ages. Chris Barrus would know...

Having said that I know there has been discussion about reissuing Spacemen vinyl on Spaceage, including this album. Worth watching out for - maybe even later this year I'm told.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

You're right Runci, the Spaceage release has TMTTOS and a second version of Suicide added to it.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

IIRC, the Space Age CD and vinyl have the same tracks on them, but the CD version of the second version of Suicide fades out to fit on the disc, whereas the vinyl version is the whole thing.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Thank You ALL very much for the info; I naturally prefer the original release in the collection; but I DID (in addition) obtain the "Spacemen are Go" on BOMP. My "Spacemen 3 Collection" is incomplete, but improving! :D
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Also there was no Bomp vinyl so the Spaceage release becomes the only issue on that format.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I came to the earlier Spacemen 3 rather late; and Spiritualized and Spectrum
are some of my FAVORITE MUSIC, Period. Just BRILLIANT. But for my own enjoyment,
and to add to the "Arkiv", I need some helpful advice on what to get and where best to obtain
the recordings.

Can you please help with what YOU consider as the Earliest, possibly rarist and most ESSENTIAL
for my Arkiv? I would rather have your opinions than JUST a discography.

Where do YOU have the greatest "luck" in obtaining these "Arkiv" kind of items; I am interested in the first, the "best",
(your opinions) and Test Pressings; (and all must be MINT, or at LEAST "Near MINT").
I am certain to have greater insights through the forum, then again, JUST a discography.

THANKS!
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

You mean Spacemen 3? (deep breath)

The rarest release of all is one of the last ones, the legendary Big City remix white label 12" with 'I Love You' instead of 'Drive' on the b-side. 25 were pressed and were sent out without Pete K's knowledge so he made them do another 25. Just 50 exist. They were sold for just £15 each when they first came out but you'd be lucky to find one under £200 now and I'd say £300 is what people would generally charge.

Genuine test pressings of the Glass stuff are very rare too. I don't know how many white labels were made - maybe none in fact - but the real rarities are the Mayking test pressings with the die cut sleeves. Opinions vary but I've been told only 5 were made of each release. Someone sold one for Perfect Prescrption for £250 a couple of years ago. Many more white labels of the Fire reissues were made but these are still quite collectable.

Still on Perfect Prescription there are 2 different Glass sleeve colours - gold/silver and bronze/silver, both worth about the same. All the Glass issues are valuable. The U.S. Genius vinyl with the purple and white sleeve (not the purple vinyl although that's quite valuable) is highly sought after - I have hardly ever seen those for sale. The same goes for the Genius CD with the same cover - very rare, although there is also an orange and white sleeve, a silver and white sleeve and even a '50,000th Anniversary Edition', all quite hard to find. Finally on Genius the CD of Performance is extremely rare - I may have only ever seen 2 of those ever. The Glass CD of Performance is more common but still very collectable. Despite catalogue numbers being made for Glass CDs of Perfect Prescription and Sound of Confusion no CDs were pressed.

The first 1000 Walkin' With Jesus 12"s came with a numbered lyric sheet. Those are very hard to find.

The Munster 7" - 'Munster Dance Hall Favourites Volume 1' is very rare if you find the first issue which was in a pink and green coloured sleeve. Hardly ever seen and must be worth over £100. Even the reissues - I have a black and red printed sleeve - are very, very rare.

The Forced Exposure 7" of Honey and Transparent Radiation is rare, but a few years after it came out some ultra limited test pressings appeared in custom made sleeves. They went for lot of money when they appeared so I am slightly suspicious of these but I still bought one.

Playing With Fire provides a huge variety of diffrerent editions - I have over 20 different ones but 6 are different coloured vinyls on Bomp; curiously the rarest of these is the black vinyl issue! The rarest of the PWF vinyl issues are the Greek Hitchhyke and the French Vogue pressings. The Bomp CD is pretty rare.

The first issue of the original demos on CD 'For All The Fucked Up Children...' (released in 1993 so many years after they were recorded) was really limited and on the Quiver At Dawn Enterprises label. You see the Sympathy For The Record Industry CD a lot but not the original issue.

There was a semi-legit CD of the 1st 2 Glass 12"s - WWJ/TR on Oblivious Participant label. I'm not sure of the amount made but they are rare.

Another semi-legit thing was the Mudhoney 7" split featuring the bands covering each others tracks - When Tomoorrow Hits and Revolution. This was intended to be a Sub Pop singles club release but Pete K was somewhat offended by Mudhoney's cover of his song (not surprising really) so he wouldn't go for it. That was a shame as it would have brought Spacemen 3 to worldwide attention. What's more Mudhoney, Mark Arm particularly, were obsessed by Spacemen 3 and pleaded with the band to play some dates together but it never happened. A 7" did appear, German I think, and is very collectable indeed - I used to sell these for £50 about 15 years ago.

Other things that I found really hard to find are quite easy these days. The Glass compilation '50,000 Glass Fans Can't Be Wrong' on clear vinyl was highly sought after but they turn up regularly now and not for a great deal of money. Also the Take 5 Shelter compilation - took me an age to find that but these are seen a lot today. Some copies have one track clumsily scratched out as one band were unhappy for some reason I don't know. These ones look horrible - great gouges cut into the vinyl! I still regard these 2 comps as important parts of a definitive Spacemen collection despite their lack of value as they were released while the band were together.

As far as finding all this stuff is concerned the usual haunts - Ebay, Discogs and music stores in general. 18 years ago I'd have been able to sell you masses of this stuff as Runcible Records had an insane Spacemen selection including the vast majority of what I've mentioned here. But that was then and Runcible shut down, so it's a case of trawling everywhere for stuff.

Hope that helps. Sorry if you are asking about Spectrum and Spiritualized but I can probably offer a bit of info on those if required, but so can a few others here I dare say! After reading this back I see the word 'rare' appears an awful lot. Nothing to be done about that.... Good luck!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Just the other day I saw a purple and white copy of 'PP' on Genius Records for $45. They also had a Fire issue of 'Sound of Confusion' priced at $40. I thought it seemed a tad high and Alan agreed.

Semi, if you are interested in these I can certainly go see if they still have them.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:Just the other day I saw a purple and white copy of 'PP' on Genius Records for $45. They also had a Fire issue of 'Sound of Confusion' priced at $40. I thought it seemed a tad high and Alan agreed.

Semi, if you are interested in these I can certainly go see if they still have them.
Wow. Buy the Genius issue - if that's vinyl - and leave the other. In my lifetime I must have only seen that purple PP about 3 times and it rarely turns up for sale. Bizarrely I bought my copy in the seaside town of Turangi, New Zealand. Fuck knows what it was doing thre.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I certainly appreciate the help. I have listed every single item, and "Spacemen 3" in general, and sent it out.

The people I usually buy from are not fast; BUT they are very very picky, and THAT I do appreciate.
I realize that it is very difficult to always obtain "sealed" copies, especially from certain Countries and eras; but it IS still possible to obtain MINT copies, or something damn close. So, I have sent out specific lists of what I do NOT have; and with your help, that number should decrease. I do like test pressings; if they are cared for properly, they are not just "some collectable" (to me, anyway), but they USUALLY sound Great! A few weeks ago I obtained several Spiritualized, Talking Heads, Fun Boy Three, and B-52's Test Pressings, and they were all superb; there is always the interesting difference in sequence and other trivial, but still interesting differences.

Unfortunately, too many recordings are damaged, or in some other way made substandard, and that is just too bad.

Thanks again for your help.
:D
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:
redcloud wrote:Just the other day I saw a purple and white copy of 'PP' on Genius Records for $45. They also had a Fire issue of 'Sound of Confusion' priced at $40. I thought it seemed a tad high and Alan agreed.
Wow. Buy the Genius issue - if that's vinyl - and leave the other. In my lifetime I must have only seen that purple PP about 3 times and it rarely turns up for sale. Bizarrely I bought my copy in the seaside town of Turangi, New Zealand. Fuck knows what it was doing thre.
Sold. I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'm sure it is still there.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I can't remember buying 'sealed' copies of any Glass pressings - they never came in shrink wrap - and I worked at a record shop at the time. Obviously test pressings don't either. Are you actually going to play those? I have never played any of the ones I have as they are purely collectors items and ought to sound the same as the finished product.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I have a couple albums that are test pressings (but nothing of S3). I have played these particular records very few times but they sounded fine. Once I managed to get them transferred digitally I sealed them up and filed them away.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:
runcible wrote:
Sold. I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'm sure it is still there.
I am trying to work out if Genius did a dodgy deal and repressed it. This was one of THE most sought after Spacemen items for many a year, but a few labels did repress and took the piss out of their licence to press up copies.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

:oops:
I just said try and get the Glass pressings, I dont have any more US pressings of Sp3 records but I did a trade for Mayking Perfect Prescription test pressing a while back off this board.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote::oops:
I just said try and get the Glass pressings,
Yea, I know.

I actually think it was the SOC 'Fire' label that you and I agreed was high. I didn't buy the 'Prescription' album that day simply because I couldn't justify $45. But, if it is as rare as that (and it isn't a dodgy reissue) I think I will grab it. Now, I have to think of how to convince the Mrs. on this potential purchase. :wink:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

See if the guy will come down off that price a bit. Doesn't hurt to ask.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

runcible wrote:I can't remember buying 'sealed' copies of any Glass pressings - they never came in shrink wrap - and I worked at a record shop at the time. Obviously test pressings don't either. Are you actually going to play those? I have never played any of the ones I have as they are purely collectors items and ought to sound the same as the finished product.

I never obtained a Test Pressing "SEALED"; but the Better Quality examples were always placed in resealable
plastics; one or two layers; IF the disc had not been played by the reviewers, or by the DJ's (who usually did not care much for the preservation of the pressing) They sound GREAT! "Remain in Light" a talking Heads example of which I have 3 variants is an EXCELLENT example; the vinyl was better than "the massed produced", the pressings were done more carefully, and in THIS particular example set, each song order was different than the other, and 1 cover (all were US) was different in the artwork. MOST test Pressings have NO artwork, coming simply in White or Black Jackets; one of my Favorites is a PINK VINYL test pressing "Mastered by Capitol" of the Pink Floyd, "A Saucerful of Secrets", w/ the words "it was really late man" written in the wax dead space about the spindle.

To be sure, some will stink; some clown grabs the discs with sandwiche spread on his fingers, or some dumbshit
move; and sometimes the pressings are JUST BAD; the band "Syringe" sent me a Test Press of their latest and
greatest a few years ago that was off centered; another that the clear vinyl was NOT pressed properly. I finally on the "third try is a charm" principle, I received an excellent disc; actually (2).

I PREFER test pressings for listening 9/10 times, because the quality is inherent; now, when it comes time to press as fast as the machines will go for Commercial Pressings, naturally the sound quality can be diminished. That is another reason it is always nice to see 1A/2B or similar matrix numbers in the dead air space. (even if it IS a commercial pressing). I also prefer Japanese Vinyl or Deutche Grammophone - Graet vinyl AND pressings.

Before I "retired", I used to visit a radio Station where I lived then and was allowed to "glean" the new stuff that came in BEFORE the DJ's saw it; even one of my OLDEST and BEST friends had a nasty habit of backspinning the disc to correlate with his intros; well done, but NOT good for the recording! (or a true audiophile).
Naturally it is better to get "hooked up" early w/ a band you like, or think you will like, because I have had to pass on a great many discs that I would have LIKED to have had a good copy of, but it had already been trashed.

HAVE FUN; and Thank You for Your Help!
Paracelsus
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

runcible wrote:No Spaceage vinyl reissue has been pressed - I know that for a fact. This is, of course, the vinyl version of Bomp's 'Spacemen Are Go!' CD, but it has more music on it. Or ar least I think it does - I'd need to double check as I haven't played my Bomp! CD for ages. Chris Barrus would know...
All correct. The Space Age version (both vinyl and CD versions) add a couple of tracks. Spacemen Are Go! and the Bomp "Taking Drugs" were only released on CD.