"Covered by Mudhoney and...Elvis Costello?"

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

A saint
Known user

"Covered by Mudhoney and...Elvis Costello?"

Post by A saint »

Right, so here's a weird one. In this '89 interview, asked what aspects of the band's legacy he's proud of, Sonic says "all of it," then remarks upon writing songs covered by Mudhoney ("Revolution," obviously) and....Elvis Costello?

I assume I'm hearing him correctly, and I also assume this would've been never recorded, only played live. Anyone have any info about what Spacemen 3 song Costello would've covered?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uJj7mWqI7E
Ian
Known user

Re: "Covered by Mudhoney and...Elvis Costello?"

Post by Ian »

I'm pretty sure that this is about Glastonbury '89. Costello sometimes played The Beatles' Revolution, which I'm pretty sure he did on this occasion, and I suspect that he played a bit of the Spacemen's Revolution during the play-out. I don't think it was a complete cover. However, I've not heard a recording, so this is a bit of a guess.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Ah - this Costello site suggests that this happened during the play-out of Pump It Up, as part of a medley of snatches from other songs.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

Ah! Love it.

I figured it was likely to be "Revolution," somehow. (What else was Costello going to cover? "Walkin With Jesus?")

Funny. There's something sweet about Sonic appreciating that. I wouldn't imagine the S3 boys were big Costello fans. It's nice to think of a minor bit of crossover.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The story I heard is Will was on acid watching the EC set at Glasto when suddenly EC started singing lyrics from Spacemen 3's Revolution which completely freaked Will out!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Surely there must be a bootleg of this online?

EDIT: Found remnants of a torrent, but nothing active.
Drussell622+
Known user

Post by Drussell622+ »

who knew he was a fan?!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I asked Will about this and, as runcible says, he was tripping at Glastonbury when he heard it and then told the others about it.
But Will says he heard a bootleg of the set some time later and there was sign of it, so it was probably the hallucinogens playing tricks! They do that....
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

runcible wrote:The story I heard is Will was on acid watching the EC set at Glasto when suddenly EC started singing lyrics from Spacemen 3's Revolution which completely freaked Will out!

That's hilarious. Even w/o the acid it'd be a wtf?/unbelievable moment.. you couldn't credit it. top stuff.
gonna burn brightly
for a while