Erik Morse interview

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

clewsr
Known user

Erik Morse interview

Post by clewsr »

Not sure if its just me, but you know when you read something and you can barely understand what's being talked about? Makes me realise how not very clever I am. Its an interesting read anyway.

Although I would have to differ on his comment about Screamadelica.

http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/inland-empire/
jadams501
Known user

Re: Erik Morse interview

Post by jadams501 »

I was impressed with the research in Dreamweapon, but felt the extensive and overwrought exposition about music theory was unnecessary and a bit dubious.

It's not surprising to me, then, to learn that he wrote the book as an undergraduate. The actual bits about the Spacemen are really well done, though.

In the interview he sometimes seems to overintellectualize rock 'n' roll. Putting things in academic context is well & good, but at a certain point you have to stop projecting today's academic preoccupations onto scruffy rock 'n' rollers on drugs living out of a tour van however many years ago.
plastic37
Known user

Re: Erik Morse interview

Post by plastic37 »

Any final words before the tape runs out?
i don't think that was a face to face interview. But i enjoyed it. Reminded me of some of the things i have done as a result of the Home of Metal project. The musical map of Birmingham ... infamous spaces. People claim that x, y, z happened but it's really difficult to pin down. And when you do visit them its ... just a doorway - and that's if the building is still standing.

I find the whole idea that a place influences the music that emerges from it fascinating and it appears that Erik's contribution - concerning the architecture, is one that i haven't seen discussed in the kind of detail that he appears to be concerned with. Its usually more about social conditions, musical infrastructure, traditions and aspects of the local culture. The way that people talk about those influences is always very interesting.

Thanks for posting. The interview has some really good links in it. innit.

And i do think that academic/cultural commentary on music is a very worthwhile enterprise.
Music is political in every sense that it can be conceived (DeNora, 2000)
Heavy Tourism