fire vs taang!

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

rock n roll animal
New user

fire vs taang!

Post by rock n roll animal »

i'm in the US.

i have the perfect prescription us taang! cd release.

i googled and read on the internet suspicions that the taang! cd was mastered from vinyl, resulting in minor imperfections and other more noticeable defects such as the blips at 0:58 and 2:01 seconds in "Ode to Street Hassle".

i have TDTMMTTDT space age release, and really want to get Sound of Confusion. my local store has the Taang! release, but should i try to get the UK fire release of SoC (and Perf. Pres. too)? or is what i read a bunch of nonsense?
porkchop
Known user

fire vs taang

Post by porkchop »

i'm not sure about the mastering with taang. there used to be a taang store in LA and was one of the only places to get any s3 stuff. but its now closed. i'd say pick up whatever you can find for cheap and in good condition regardless what label its on
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hey porkchop,

they still have a twaang! here in san diego. the guys a bit of a cunt tho, he has a ton of SP3 white labels that he sells for $100+.

the twaang! records are crap anyways. at least all that i have come across. the only thing they have besides the lps is SP3 posters and a t-shirt. i bought a ton of the posters for a buck a piece!

xxxshonnxxx

p/s let me know if your looking for something in particular, i will be there next week.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Does this guy have a list, a.b.n.? I'm after a test press of Take Me To The Other Side if he does...
a beautiful noise
Known user

hey runci,

he should, i can go check him out and see what he has. he is "usually" cheaper at the shop than online.

speaking of his shop, it's what used to be someones front living situated right on the beach. the last place in the world you would think to find SP3 merch.

xxxshonnxxx
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

[quote="a beautiful noise"]hey porkchop,

they still have a twaang! here in san diego. the guys a bit of a cunt tho, he has a ton of SP3 white labels that he sells for $100+.

the twaang! records are crap anyways. at least all that i have come across. the only thing they have besides the lps is SP3 posters and a t-shirt. i bought a ton of the posters for a buck a piece!

xxxshonnxxx
yeah those taang posters are crap and so are their t shirts, last i saw. strange that they're in sd. did find a copy of sonic's soul kiss cd there once.
though that doesn't mean he always had the goods.
p/s let me know if your looking for something in particular, i will be there next week.[/quote]

Post by Guest »

runcible wrote:Does this guy have a list, a.b.n.? I'm after a test press of Take Me To The Other Side if he does...
We all have a dream !!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:Does this guy have a list, a.b.n.? I'm after a test press of Take Me To The Other Side if he does...
To be honest I didn't think they were that hard to come by !!!!
a beautiful noise
Known user

well they might not have been that hard to come by back in the day but as for now, good luck finding one.

well since there was an outpouring of concern about twaang!, i called them four seperate times yesterday, each time getting the answer phone. if i have time tomorrow i will go down and "make a list for the children" of what SP3 goods they have in stock.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s don't bother with the site, it's outdated as far as stock is concerned.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

a beautiful noise wrote:well they might not have been that hard to come by back in the day but as for now, good luck finding one.

well since there was an outpouring of concern about twaang!, i called them four seperate times yesterday, each time getting the answer phone. if i have time tomorrow i will go down and "make a list for the children" of what SP3 goods they have in stock.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s don't bother with the site, it's outdated as far as stock is concerned.
That was just my little joke at Runcible's expense. Would love to know what SP3 stuff they currently have as I'm looking for some pretty hard to find nuggets myself.
a beautiful noise
Known user

ooppss, sorry! sarcasm is usually right up my alley.

xxxshonnxxx

check in tomorrow night for any info.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

The Taang! version of The Perfect Prescription is not mastered from vinyl, it's a buggered-up port of the Fire CD, which didn't sound so hot to begin with. There are three or four different versions of PP floating around on the Taang label, some with a pause between Ecstasy Symphony and Transparent Radiation, some with jumps in Ode to Street Hassle, and even one that supposedly sounds OK, although I doubt it. Mine has the pause. The Fire CD sounds (obviously) better.

The sound of their Playing With Fire suggests that it was not outside Taang!'s means to make their releases sound decent. I have no idea why they've never gotten The Perfect Prescription right.

Collector's note: Taang have apparently reissued Playing With Fire - the back cover has slightly different lettering now. Maybe they had another go at the sound. I think they're redoing these silently every few years. As is my understanding they don't let them go out of print for too long. Pity Spacemen 3 have never attracted any sort of legitimate (read: at least semi-major label) distribution outside of Recurring. Even the Red Krayola were picked up by Collector's Choice. Even that will do.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The best bet seems to be to get the Space Age issues of whatever comes out. The sound is better and I'd prefer more money go directly to the artists than another label. Of course I'm stirring up the old does-Jason-receive-royalties debate but I can cope with that.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Not much of a debate on that really. Those on here who know best (maybe even yourself) have said that cheques have been issued and cashed so, er, that's it.