Spacemen 3 double CDs

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Dreamweapon
Known user

Spacemen 3 double CDs

Post by Dreamweapon »

Following on from the bonus treatment that was given to The Perfect Prescription becoming Forged Prescriptions and the double CD that Space Age did of Playing With Fire, is there any chance that the same would happen with The Sound Of Confusion and particularly for me Recurring?

I know that there are the Taking Drugs... and For All The F***** Up Children... CDs that have different versions on them regarding the earlier material, but nothing for Recurring. Having revisited the Spacemen 3 wiki page recently, it talks about there being different versions / mixes of Sonic's material. I REALLY loved and still do Big City, I Love You and some of the other tracks of his as well as Hypnotized, Feel So Sad, Drive etc (it also mentions Drive being faded out earlier than intended). I was surprised that when it was remastered an double CD wasn't released. I'd love to hear some of these other versions.

Further to this, is there any other stuff in the archives that hasn't seen the light of day? I once heard of a CD through a label called Nectar - it was titled 1+1=3 but have never had this confirmed. It was listed repeatedly in a Music Master catalogue that record stores used to use. Anyone know of this too?
jadams501
Known user

Re: Spacemen 3 double CDs

Post by jadams501 »

There are some Recurring demo sessions floating around out there... pretty hissy from what I've heard and I haven't listened to them comprehensively. I don't have a sense of how different they are from the LP or whether they might be marketable.

Much as I'd like to see more material from the under-rated SOC sessions, I suspect pretty much everything has been released between Taking Drugs... and How The Blues Shoulda Turned Out. I don't know if the album has enough recognition for an expanded rerelease.

I'm not sure what's left in the vaults at this point, but if there's anything left to be released I'd probably expect a dribble of bonus tracks rather than big packages.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I do have a "Recurring Demos" CD kicking around somewhere. I think I got it off Dime ages ago. I've not listened to it in a while, but I remember it being pretty samey and unenlightening. It's the demo listed on this page:

http://www.oocities.org/theblacklodge20 ... cemen.html

Tracklist:

01. These Blues
02. Feel So Sad
03. Feelin Just Fine
04. Sometimes
05. Billy Whiz / Blue 1
06. Drive / Feel So Sad
07. Feelin' Just Fine

Nothing from Sonic on it, sadly.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I am almost certain that there was talk of a 2CD reissue of Recurring at some point.. this was years ago. but it never materialised.

still hoping for reissues of the Spectrum albums too :)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

The Recurring demos are only really notable for the version of "These Blues", which is different to the one on the DJ Tones EP. The recording I've got of them isn't the best quality, as said above, very quiet and hissy, and probably not something you'd put out on an "official" release, unless something can be done with them.

I would absolutely love to hear what Soul Kiss era demos PK's got in the vaults, although the way I understand it is the sessions from Recurring and Soul Kiss kind of blurred into one, as he was working with Richard Formby on Recurring. He did say, IIRC though, that "How The Blues..." would be absolutely the last bits released from the SP3 vaults so I wouldn't hold your breath.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

natty wrote:The Recurring demos are only really notable for the version of "These Blues", which is different to the one on the DJ Tones EP.
Are you sure? I hadn't noticed that if so. The version I had was that ultra hissy one on the tapes that did the circuits a few years ago. When Pete K produced a crisp hiss-free version - firstly on How The Blues and then the same version appeared on TGPS - which I felt was the same as the hissy version, but without the hiss, I rejoiced, as did many.

What's different about it?
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

The Recurring sessions version doesn't have the "Lord y'know, my heart's still burning/Lord y'know that I ain't certain/but my smile is cracked/and my hands are shaking/'cos something deep down inside my heart still turns me on" bit at the end. It sounds like a completely different take to me.

Edit: Just listened to them both, the Recurring sessions one has a "ba ba ba ba" vocal from the start as well, there's no percussion and Jason's vocal has got way more reverb on it. It's definitely a different version.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

For anyone who doesn't have them (if this is OK to post) here are the Recurring Demos that circulated a few years back -- 2 separate folders. I'm not clear on how much overlap there is between the collections, but one of them has the Battery Studio remixes of Big City, Drive and I Love You.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p44jpm

Mods, please delete this post if it shouldn't be up.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jadams501 wrote:For anyone who doesn't have them (if this is OK to post) here are the Recurring Demos that circulated a few years back -- 2 separate folders. I'm not clear on how much overlap there is between the collections, but one of them has the Battery Studio remixes of Big City, Drive and I Love You.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p44jpm

Mods, please delete this post if it shouldn't be up.
Battery studio stuff is great.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

this is text from some sessions that were shared in late 2005...

Spaceman 3 - "Recurring Sessions" - 1990

01. Big City (Waves Of Joy) - Demo 3:55
02. These Blues 3:19
03. Drive 10:23
04. Feel So Sad 2:36
05. Feelin' Just Fine (1) 4:20
06. Sometimes 6:34
07. Billy Whizz / Blue 1 7:27
08. Feel So Sad (Instrumental) 3:40
09. Feelin' Just Fine (2) 4:34
10. Big City (Remix, Battery Studios by Anjali Dutt) 10:48
11. Drive (Remix, Battery Studios by Anjali Dutt) 10:49
12. I Love You (Remix, Battery Studios by Anjali Dutt) 5:34
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

natty wrote:The Recurring sessions version doesn't have the "Lord y'know, my heart's still burning/Lord y'know that I ain't certain/but my smile is cracked/and my hands are shaking/'cos something deep down inside my heart still turns me on" bit at the end. It sounds like a completely different take to me.

Edit: Just listened to them both, the Recurring sessions one has a "ba ba ba ba" vocal from the start as well, there's no percussion and Jason's vocal has got way more reverb on it. It's definitely a different version.
This one that I just downloaded is indeed different and I didn't have it so many thanks for that. It doesn't have the hiss the version I already had does for starters and is very different in feel on the vocal. It's also very short at 2 minutes - a shame.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Just started to listen to these Recurring Sessions on the way into work this morning and am intrigued by these descriptions. Thank you very much as this appears to be what we may have hoped for had there been a double CD version.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Can someone kindly post this session again.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I seem to have missed this first time round too - hence I would also ask that some kind soul could re-upload it on Sendspace, Dropbox etc.

Many thanks in advance!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

i had this ages ago and lost it, so a re-up would be swell. thanks a lot if you can.

yeah i think the bottom of the barrel has been scraped clean unfortunately. i have asked j/pete/will about anything that might be left and they all seem extremely doubtful. Jason replied wtih a candid "i hope not". we both had a good laugh about it.

as for Recurring i absolutely love the "second" half of that album. for my money it represents some of J's best work in the atmospheric, spacey, blissed out vibe (whereas i feel that Pete's was yet to come). i'm amazed there isn't complete pages around here dedicated to the brilliance of 'billy whizz' or the lyrical beauty of 'sometimes'.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I can probably upload these in a few hours
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

here are the these :

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ve27t9
davedecay wrote:this is text from some sessions that were shared in late 2005...

I can put up the "Hissy" ones as well, if anyone wants.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thanks Ro - I've always wanted to hear these legendary Recurrying demos. :wink:
O P 8
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I couldn't resist
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Perfect Pasanda
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

veiko wrote:Can someone kindly post this session again.
By the way - nice to see/hear from you again Veiko. Hope you are well - PM me!
O P 8
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

super duper thanks ro.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

BzaInSpace wrote:The Perfect Pasanda
Feel So Saag
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Excellent!
Splendid job.

And what "hissy" you have on mind?
I do also have hissy demos from Recurring, but in this post i was more looking for those Anjali Dutt things. Huge thanks for those.
Even "more" hissy, then the tracks here in the middle? What are they or what versions/trades are you referring to?

ro wrote:here are the these :

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ve27t9
davedecay wrote:this is text from some sessions that were shared in late 2005...

I can put up the "Hissy" ones as well, if anyone wants.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

hey there veiko.
these are the "hissy" ones I mean, which it sounds like you already have.
mc wrote:01. These Blues
02. Feel So Sad
03. Feelin Just Fine
04. Sometimes
05. Billy Whiz / Blue 1
06. Drive / Feel So Sad
07. Feelin' Just Fine
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

veiko wrote:Even "more" hissy, then the tracks here in the middle? What are they or what versions/trades are you referring to?
yes, more hiss than the ones in the middle, but i am just now realizing :oops: they are indeed the same recordings. just with more hiss.

:D rock on!