Interview for WOS magazine

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Krayola
New user

Interview for WOS magazine

Post by Krayola »

Fine interview here with Pete Kember: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46-O5lNkKYA for some Russian magazine called WOS. Looks like there's going to be very little (or no more) Spectrum touring in the future. Too bad I've never had the chance to see them!
helterskelter
Known user

Re: Interview for WOS magazine

Post by helterskelter »

Sounds like me after a few beers
Not sure if this is fine lol
A good night though
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

seems a bit weary/melancholic when talking about the future for Spectrum , that would be a shame if thats how he feels , still hope to see another album, nice footage though,
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Can't really blame him for not sounding too positive about a new Spectrum album. The minimal rewards for so much effort are a reality of the modern music business. It makes sense when he can indulge his passion for music through production work, and other adjuncts he can provide to the artist recording/performer dynamic.

However it would be a real shame if there were no more Spectrum gigs - if I knew the next tour would be the last, I'd be much more incentivised to make the effort to travel to the nearest UK gig (assuming there'll only be a small number and none local from past experience).
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Pretty sure they are down for next Austin Psych Fest? Not a tour, but hopefully shows they've not jacked it in.
Frankly, would be devestated if they did.

Each time I've seen them recently the small venues they have played have been completely rammed - Shacklewell Arms and particularly the Lexington. When they were due to play Ruby Lounge in Manchester a couple of years ago and cancelled last minute, I'm sure Runcible confirmed that they had sold a lot of tickets. I'm convinced they could sell out larger venues - but I suppose he and his wife are better informed about that.

When he talks about the ageing nature of the fanbase, shines some light on rationale for his working with people like MGMT - as theoretically that should open the Spectrum back cat to a younger crowd.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

KingHarry wrote:Pretty sure they are down for next Austin Psych Fest? Not a tour, but hopefully shows they've not jacked it in.
Frankly, would be devestated if they did.

Each time I've seen them recently the small venues they have played have been completely rammed - Shacklewell Arms and particularly the Lexington. When they were due to play Ruby Lounge in Manchester a couple of years ago and cancelled last minute, I'm sure Runcible confirmed that they had sold a lot of tickets. I'm convinced they could sell out larger venues - but I suppose he and his wife are better informed about that.

When he talks about the ageing nature of the fanbase, shines some light on rationale for his working with people like MGMT - as theoretically that should open the Spectrum back cat to a younger crowd.
Totally agree with you here. I saw them for the first time recently and absolutely loved it. Would be a real shame if he quit touring. Of course his work with MGMT/panda bear etc brings his stuff to a new audience, but then wouldn't releasing the long-awaited new album (first in 15 years!? wow) be a good way of drawing in the crowds too? To be honest I see the tone of that interview as more of a general despondency about the state of the music industry (which is fair enough!). I'm hoping it doesn't necessarily correspond with the way things pan out...
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

Well if this is the end of Pete touring and making his own music, THANK YOU! It is sad for those of us who have been around his music for 20+ years, but there is a reason I have no interest in seeing or hearing the Stones performing these days. However, I am a bit disappointed that for those of us who were supposedly helping to fund the new Spectrum record by purchasing limited CD-Rs at very high prices many moons ago, may never see that come to fruition. Either way, good luck Pete.
zaltakid2000
New user

Post by zaltakid2000 »

interesting to hear him go off on spotify like that. usually the arguments are more focused around their low royalty checks. i'd be interested in hearing more about this whole 'switching out' versions of songs issue...
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I don't know how anyone can deal with Spotify. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and there's like adverts after every two or three tracks. It's unlistenable in my opinion.