Making a book about Spacemen 3, looking for content

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

ahtlast93
New user

Making a book about Spacemen 3, looking for content

Post by ahtlast93 »

Hi there! I'm a new member here but let me reassure I'm quite serious.
I'm currently a graduating student at an Academy for Graphic Design in The Netherlands and have been a fan of Spacemen 3 for a while.

I think it's a pity that such a band doesn't have a thorough historical coverage, and aside from the book that is also sold out (and honestly just looks bad), there's isn't much. I wanted to then make my own project, and possibly self publish it.

So I came here, in hopes that you guys could point me to some kind of image archives, concert lists, interviews, interesting text, and anything else for that matter that could find it's way into a book. Even wholly original contributions would be great, but this early I cannot tell.

So, please let me know if you have some pointers; links, texts, your own personal folders; everything is great.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Making a book about Spacemen 3, looking for content

Post by runcible »

I'm sure a lot of people here can assist you. There are many very knowledgeable - and indeed friendly - folks here who have a lot of information you will find useful. I'd be happy to help if I can as I have a truly ridiculous amount of Spacemen stuff that goes well beyond just the vinyl and CDs.
plastic37
Known user

Re: Making a book about Spacemen 3, looking for content

Post by plastic37 »

if you are gonna self publish this is a good place to ask - what do people (folks here, your market) want from a new Spacemen 3 book?

Another narrative biography? Always gonna be lacking.
A collectors scrapbook of artefacts and ephemera? With the co operation of a few of the collectors here that could be achieved and I'd buy it.

I actually think we are lucky that Spacemen 3 does have a thorough historical coverage thanks to:
Spacemen 3 dot co dot UK - there are articles lovingly transcribed there that you won't get on Rocks Back Pages
the book - come on, it's flawed rather than bad. And also very funny in places.
The original sources such as Outerlimits.
If you know your way round an an advanced google search - that's hours of historical fun too.
This forum itself

But, yeah, visually there's room as none of those mentioned above are image led.

Maybe you could simply collect everything that's online and put it in one place? Forget all this physical publishing stuff. Runcible's collection alone scanned and put on a tumblr itself would be a boon.

All the best, good luck etc
Heavy Tourism