Sonic Update

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

KingHarry
Known user

Sonic Update

Post by KingHarry »

An update to the sonicboom.info site -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEWS AND UPDATES
====================
FEBRUARY 2013 LIVE DATE

Sonic Boom set
24 February at Le Lieu Unique, Nantes, France
A special evening of music where the audience are invited to lie down to listen to the music
http://www.lelieuunique.com
PRESS CONTACT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what to make of that? A DJ slot with Sun Araw in April in London, a Sonic only show above. No full band?

Spectrum, The End?
mc
Known user

Re: Sonic Update

Post by mc »

Argh. Will "On The Wings Of Mercury" ever see the light of day? I know Sonic thinks his appeal is selective these days and is rather jaded with the whole music business (that recent interview showed as much), but Spectrum's Facebook page has in excess of 6000 likes. Surely a decent proportion of these people will buy an album? If he's short of cash and can't afford to finish up, he should get himself on Kickstarter and ask people to pledge. If he meets his target he gets his cash and he can finish the album; if he doesn't the money doesn't get taken from the pledgers and nothing's lost. I'd pledge cash straight away and I know tons of people here would do the same. I know he has to spend time making a living producing etc, but he's got his home studio; how much would it cost, really? Surely he could recoup in this day and age when it's so much easier to reach your fans directly? And how happy would he make those fans... fingers crossed...
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

yeah the idea that there isnt an audience for his material is really frustrating

if hes cool with playing small clubs then why does he need an album to have mass appeal
Krayola
New user

Post by Krayola »

Spectrum play at Austin Psych Fest in April. So not the end for Spectrum (yet?). I don't really care for 'On The Wings Of Mercury' anymore tbh. I just hope I will ever see something from the reissues that are being talked about for 3 years already now.

I don't quite follow Sonic's logic. Like in that recent interview (WOS magazine): he talks about sales falling back since the rise of MP3 etc. And in other interviews I have read he urges you not to make copies or download music.
But as a 'new' fan of Spacemen 3, I'm having a hard time finding his Spectrum/Sonic Boom albums anywhere. Except the used copies that circulate on eBay and other sites that go for almost £100 and more. I don't know if the circumstances (financial, copyright issues, license issues...) make it possible (or impossible) to create (elaborate) reissues, but it is not even possible to buy his albums in MP3 (or preferably FLAC or High-Res).

And I'm aware he's not a real fan of MP3, but even Neil Young as a notable anti-MP3 crusader has released most of his albums in MP3-format.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

From Sonic's website yesterday. Doesn't specify whether they're all Spectrum shows or some solo.

April/May 2013 LIVE DATE

Apr 23, 2013. Los Angeles, CA, United States
The Echo
Apr 24, 2013. San Diego, CA, United States
The Void
Apr 27, 2013. Austin, TX, United States
Carson Creek Ranch
May 7, 2013. Bordeaux, France
Rock school Barbey Le club
May 8, 2013. Toulouse, M-P, France
Le Saint des Seins
May 9, 2013. Marseille, France
L'Embobineuse
May 10, 2013. Lyon, R-A, France
Le Nuit Sonores
May 11, 2013. Paris, France
Point Ephemere
May 16, 2013. Lausanne, Switzerland
Le Bourg
May 18, 2013. San Sebastian, Basque Country
Guardetxe
May 19, 2013. Madrid
Nasti
May 20, 2013. Barcelona, Catalonia
Sala Apolo
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Krayola wrote:Spectrum play at Austin Psych Fest in April. So not the end for Spectrum (yet?). I don't really care for 'On The Wings Of Mercury' anymore tbh. I just hope I will ever see something from the reissues that are being talked about for 3 years already now.

I don't quite follow Sonic's logic. Like in that recent interview (WOS magazine): he talks about sales falling back since the rise of MP3 etc. And in other interviews I have read he urges you not to make copies or download music.
But as a 'new' fan of Spacemen 3, I'm having a hard time finding his Spectrum/Sonic Boom albums anywhere. Except the used copies that circulate on eBay and other sites that go for almost £100 and more. I don't know if the circumstances (financial, copyright issues, license issues...) make it possible (or impossible) to create (elaborate) reissues, but it is not even possible to buy his albums in MP3 (or preferably FLAC or High-Res).

And I'm aware he's not a real fan of MP3, but even Neil Young as a notable anti-MP3 crusader has released most of his albums in MP3-format.
You can pick most of them up for much less than that on eBay pretty regularly. "Spectrum" was just reissued and the only one of his Spectrum records that'll set you back anything like that amount AFAIK is "Highs, Lows..."
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

You must remember that the albums you are after are on labels PK isn't connected to so he can't just reissue them much as I suspect he'd like to. And some of the releases back then were done in such lame circumstances I find it hard to believe it even happened. Highs Lows was actually deleted before the tour to support it had even started as Silvertone just wanted rid of him and had absolutely no interest in supporting him. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

The fact that stuff has appeared on this Spanish label must be hard to swallow as I bet he gets no money from them as they licensed the releases through Sony. This is why PK has such deep mistrust of labels and such like - it's completely understandable.

Finally look how long it took for Forged Prescriptions to appear - that was on the cards for years before it was released but it was worth the wait.