New Spectrum/Spacemen 3/MGMT 7"

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

New Spectrum/Spacemen 3/MGMT 7"

Post by runcible »

I just got this from The Great Pop Supplement. Got to be one of the releases of the year - I mean just look at the sleeve! When a label is doing such positive things as this I think a friendly plug is more than apt.

Hats off Dominic...

GPS100 Spectrum | Spacemen 3 | MGMT 7” (1000 copies on green vinyl with insert in spiral top opening packaging)

This one‘s a beauty, the 100th release on The Great Pop Supplement sees a mighty 3 band split 45 dressed up in a tasty, psychedelic, octagonal spiral clam like sleeve, with onbody design by Sonic Boom and released as a green vinyl pressing of 1000 only.

Spectrum kick off proceedings with the unreleased “Bo‘s Web“, an out-take from the “Soul Kiss“ LP sessions from 1992. Following that is the gorgeously stripped down, instrumental demo to the fabulous “Why Couldn‘t I See?” from the final Spacemen 3 full length “Recurring“, debuting here for the first time. Side B features ace new MGMT tune “Something to do with Prince” a ‘backwards’ sounding synth track that compliments the A side perfectly…

This will disappear in the blink of an eye so be quick. 1000 copies, as cool on the eye as the ear and a perfect way to see in the label’s 100th release following their entire 99 release sold out back catalogue…

Available to order from monday 6th may, cost £6.99 (+post, write: dom @ thegreatpopsupplement@hotmail.com)
Attachments
s33.jpg
s33.jpg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 13231 times
s2.jpg
s2.jpg (47.52 KiB) Viewed 13231 times
catweazel
Known user

Re: New Spectrum/Spacemen 3/MGMT 7"

Post by catweazel »

Looking forward to this! Just sent them an email about pre-ordering :)
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Wow.

Has anyone ever heard Bo's Web?

Looking forward to this
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Oh my. Can't wait.

The Sun Araw/Spacemen 3 split is easily my favorite record I own period. Maybe even my favorite thing I own. I must have played it hundreds of times over the past 6 months. So beautiful (aurally/visually). I feel like the grooves are deteriorating or something (at least on the SA side). Does anybody know if this actually happens or if I am making it up? My only complaint is that there's not really a sleeve or anything with that, I should have gone to by one... feel like it gets scratched up by the dirt inside the jacket when you slide it in and out.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runcible wrote:Side B features ace new MGMT tune “Something to do with Prince” a ‘backwards’ sounding synth track that compliments the A side perfectly…
What does it have to do with Prince?

:D
O P 8
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

KingHarry wrote:Wow.

Has anyone ever heard Bo's Web?

Looking forward to this
Trust me you wont be dissapointed :D
'Remember, change is not good'
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've e-mailed them to reserve a copy...looks wonderful 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Got mine today - they look fantastic. Er... also now available via Dock Ellis UK and, shortly, Dock Ellis US...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

A thing of beauty :D
'Remember, change is not good'
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Looking forward to getting a copy of this. Very exciting.

Even the NME are paying attention http://www.nme.com/news/mgmt/70096
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

runcible wrote:Got mine today - they look fantastic. Er... also now available via Dock Ellis UK and, shortly, Dock Ellis US...

At least we know they exist and must be released at some point! Will be looking forward to this for quite a while.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

My copy arrived this morning. I've been gazing at it throughout the day. Will be hooking the turntable up later for a first spin.

Have to say that I'm grateful to the GPS for delving into the vaults to put this stuff out.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:Got mine today - they look fantastic. Er... also now available via Dock Ellis UK and, shortly, Dock Ellis US...
spzretent wrote:This release has been shelved until Sony agree to let it out looks like post summer. Ironically its the MGMT tune causing the delay.
Sorry folks.
When its released I will get them.
Alan
KingHarry wrote:My copy arrived this morning. I've been gazing at it throughout the day. Will be hooking the turntable up later for a first spin.

Have to say that I'm grateful to the GPS for delving into the vaults to put this stuff out.
Bit of confusion here. Is this release out now or been put on hold? Is the delay just in the States Alan? :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mine arrived today :D It looks lovely. Will give it a listen later on this evening.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Mine arrived on Tuesday morning and have only managed to play side A once, the version of Why Couldn't I See is short and very sweet. Very happy with this 7", it's fitting for the 100th GPS release.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, got mine in the post today (sorry Spzretent :wink: ). What an absolute stunner of a 7", both sonically and visually 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

The whole thing is stunning.

Bo's Web sounds like Little Doll.

Why Couldn't I See is, as Broc says above, short but perfectly formed.

The MGMT track is also good.

Fantastic stuff - hope they don't have to pull it, deserves to reach caring homes.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Got mine too - arrived today and is indeed a thing of beauty. Opened it up and looked at it - it is gorgeous. I am however really anxious about catching the sleeve with a fingerprint due to it's lovely texture. I've also unfortunately not had a stereo for a few years now so it will have to go to one side for the time being. As lovely vinyl editions (in general, but not as a matter of course) also come with mp3 codes too, is this going to happen with this 7" so it can be kept untarnished?
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Dreamweapon wrote:Got mine too - arrived today and is indeed a thing of beauty. Opened it up and looked at it - it is gorgeous. I am however really anxious about catching the sleeve with a fingerprint due to it's lovely texture. I've also unfortunately not had a stereo for a few years now so it will have to go to one side for the time being. As lovely vinyl editions (in general, but not as a matter of course) also come with mp3 codes too, is this going to happen with this 7" so it can be kept untarnished?
Would think that's unlikely - I met Dom from GPS at, I think, a Wooden Shjips gig, and asked him the same thing. He wasn't keen on MP3, just the purity of vinyl.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I heard recently that the idea of having download codes with vinyl is a huge extra cost that would rather be ploughed into the vinyl itself, so not something that a lot of vinyl-based labels will offer, which is understandable really...
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

MattBenn wrote:
Laz69 wrote:I heard recently that the idea of having download codes with vinyl is a huge extra cost that would rather be ploughed into the vinyl itself, so not something that a lot of vinyl-based labels will offer, which is understandable really...
Nah, that's rubbish. Our new 7" wasn't going to have download codes, but I know how much it annoys me when I get a record without one, so I personally paid for them, and printed/cut all 750 out at home myself and posted them to the record label. To create 1000 download codes, print them out and post them 1st class cost me £16 altogether...
This makes me want to buy another one. Can't wait for it to arrive.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

MattBenn wrote:
Laz69 wrote:I heard recently that the idea of having download codes with vinyl is a huge extra cost that would rather be ploughed into the vinyl itself, so not something that a lot of vinyl-based labels will offer, which is understandable really...
Nah, that's rubbish. Our new 7" wasn't going to have download codes, but I know how much it annoys me when I get a record without one, so I personally paid for them, and printed/cut all 750 out at home myself and posted them to the record label. To create 1000 download codes, print them out and post them 1st class cost me £16 altogether...
Fair enough. Wasn't looking to question my source and took it at face value. I just assumed it wasn't as straighforward as it sounded.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Got Mine on Monday, rather splendid it is too, plus Soundcarriers LP as well.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spzretent wrote:Some were sent out by Dom. Then he was told to stop. Unfortunately my parcel didn't make it out. I am assuming some lucky folks who ordered directly from Dom got them. Not sure though.
I ordered from Dom when the post hit this site and it arrived today.
I think I feel it coming on
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Piccadilly said this will never be happening now?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Is this now the rarest Spacemen related release?
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

Dom said he sent about 200 out. In terms of rarity, the I love you white label had 50 and Sonic's "how the blues" was a release of 100 I think. I guess it depends on whether you count promos, semi legit bootlegs, or color vinyl pressings (100 on orange vinyl of playing with fire Space Age reissue)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Cool, I thought only a handful may have been sent out.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

here is what Dom posted on discogs

Dom @ GPS: around 200 of these got out to mailorder list first before SONY stepped in to postpone it as MGMT hadn't gained permission for their appearance. all being well expect release in stores for november 2013, IF things go to plan!
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I do hope GPS manages to deal with this hassle. Only selling 10% of the pressing might leave Dom with a fairly hefty loss. Hopefully, the release schedulefor any other GPS releases doesn't get too delayed as a result. I have yet to buy a bad release on either GPS or Deep Distance.

FWIW the Spectrum & SP3 tracks are great. I haven't listened to MGMT as my 3-year old was expressing an unhealthy interest in the cover of the single so temptation had to be promptly removed from her path.To be honest, I was terrified that I would wreck the cover without her assistance....it is a wonderful but scary bit of design.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

there were 2 copies of the GPS 7' on Ebay, posted yesterday at £50 a piece - seemed to have gone already.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

This 7" is a piece of art, really is stunning. I was lucky enough to get my hands on it. Massive praise to Dom at GPS again for his work with the label,
Also - the future GPS schedule does not appear to be delayed :D Great Pop Supplement are doing the vinyl of our debut album next month (The Lucid Dream), with Eat Lights Become Light's new album coming out at the same time.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Noddy wrote:This 7" is a piece of art, really is stunning. I was lucky enough to get my hands on it. Massive praise to Dom at GPS again for his work with the label,
Also - the future GPS schedule does not appear to be delayed :D Great Pop Supplement are doing the vinyl of our debut album next month (The Lucid Dream), with Eat Lights Become Light's new album coming out at the same time.
Whaaat??? Another Eat Lights Become Lights LP? Excellent news!
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Yep, here's the latest from The Great Pop Supplement facebook:

press release spiel for the 2 new ace GPS LPs ready at end of the month.... should you wish to read them now like!?

GPS102 The Lucid Dream “Songs of Lies and Deceit” LP (coloured vinyl pressing of 500) ….ready end of June

Cumbria‘s “The Lucid Dream“ finally unleash their debut full length this June, following 4 sold out 45s, steady press coverage and widespread acclaim for live shows which have seen them support everyone from Beefheart’s “Magic Band”, Death In Vegas, A Place to Bury Strangers and Spectrum.

Previous descriptions of the bands’ sound has honed in on fuzz and drone heavy nods to Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized, BJM and The Heads, yet that somehow overlooks the pure pop savvy and stripped down acid drenched hooks of the US West Coast and prime era Mary Chain and Beach Boys feel to tunes like “Heartbreak Girl” and “Love In My Veins”. To these ears, tips of the hat also include a favourable one towards Motown in places even, so to dig a wee bit here is no bad thing…

A great album and a real grower and sure to build upon the great reviews the 45s attained with accompanying radio play and press attention from the likes of Gideon Coe, Steve Lamacq, Lauren Laverne and Tom Robinson. The band tour in support of the album including slots supporting label favourites Sic Alps and the Liverpool Festival of Psychedelia in September.

Vinyl pressing of 500 is sure to sell out quickly- so we urge haste! The (tri colour, splatter) vinyl appears on The Great Pop Supplement here in an edition of 500 only with CD/ Downloads via Holy Are You Recordings.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

An ELBL album and a gig in Liverpool. :shock:

Officially excited now!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Any updates on the 7"??? I decided to wait to get it through DER and then all the stuff happened :(
Still would love to get a copy.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I think it got pulled as there wasn't clearance to use the MGMT track. Which is a shame as it looked (and probably sounded) ace. It appears on eBay occasionally but is far to costly for me. :cry:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spacemen-3-Sp ... 1e82c24762
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Thanks for the info. :mrgreen:
It's nice to be liked,
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

25 GBP for a 7"?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote:25 GBP for a 7"?
£25 is clearly very expensive, but these fetch more than £50 on Ebay regularly. Seems a decent enough offer all things considered....
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Here's one. :-)

Sent by my droid using Tapatalk.
It's nice to be liked,
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

When Pete DJ'd at Dots & Loops he did say it would be coming out eventually but didn't know when.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

are there digital copies available? would love to hear both of these tracks. soul kiss is great and pete was the hero of recurring.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

don't know if it's released digitally, but I did a vinyl transfer for my own personal ipod use. If anyone else wants a copy, just pm me. If that's alright with the moderators...
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

yes please ! ! ! if it's alright with the mods...
stinkydj
New user

Post by stinkydj »

Sadly, I haven't been able to find this anywhere, not even on eBay. How many copies of the original 1000 were actually sold before Sony put their foot down?
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

There's a copy on discogs for the obscene price of 100 and something euros...

http://www.discogs.com/Spectrum-4-Space ... se/4576109

Scroll down to see the comments, apparently around 200 copies made it out before the release was stalled.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Will C is selling 5 of these on his facebook. £35 each signed by Pete.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

James T wrote:Will C is selling 5 of these on his facebook. £35 each signed by Pete.
Gone.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Shipping was only within the UK too. Bummer all around
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I completely missed Will's initial post and they were long gone by the time I realised, although even I would have struggled to stretch to get one. Accepted id missed out and noticed my brother had missed out too. Will told us we need to be quicker off the block. Anyways, just found out that those two bastards were ripping the pish at my expense and that my wee brother actually picked one of them up for my birthday pressie!! :D :D :D Just picked it up and its gorgeous! Im thrilled with it... Might even forgive them two for their scheming...:)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Laz69 wrote:I completely missed Will's initial post and they were long gone by the time I realised, although even I would have struggled to stretch to get one. Accepted id missed out and noticed my brother had missed out too. Will told us we need to be quicker off the block. Anyways, just found out that those two bastards were ripping the pish at my expense and that my wee brother actually picked one of them up for my birthday pressie!! :D :D :D Just picked it up and its gorgeous! Im thrilled with it... Might even forgive them two for their scheming...:)
Good man , noticed them speaking on the f/b , I might have stretched had I been in from work quicker, but then I would have missed a top gig last night, everything happens for a reason right enough, good brother you`ve got there, enjoy your birthday :)