Peaking Lights/Sonic Boom collaboration

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

angelsighs
Known user

Peaking Lights/Sonic Boom collaboration

Post by angelsighs »

is in the works
as evidenced by this pic :)

http://instagram.com/p/bhkYY3QSZe/#
James T
Known user

Re: Peaking Lights/Sonic Boom collaboration

Post by James T »

sweeeet
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

he was talking about it when i saw him at atp! i think he might be coming in to dublab for aaron of p.l.'s show on friday, yall should tune in it was rad last time!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The photo is reminiscent of a homage to the cover of Nevermind - is this perhaps a subtle clue as to the nature of this eagerly-awaited forthcoming musical collaboration :?:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

mojo filters wrote:The photo is reminiscent of a homage to the cover of Nevermind - is this perhaps a subtle clue as to the nature of this eagerly-awaited forthcoming musical collaboration :?:

i don't think you could be wider of the mark if possible. i mean honestly have you ever listened to Peaking Lights or Sonic? it will sound nothing like Nevermind. the photo seems to be of a candid moment hanging out in the backyard under the sweltering heat of the California sun. nothing more. nice one for having your tits out Sonic. can't wait to hear the finished product. i have been a champion of Peaking Lights since day one and i feel like schoolgirl with all the excitement!

me.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I was only kidding; the juxtaposition of PK yawning and the little kid staring at him was a bit odd I thought.

The little kid in the water reminded me of Nevermind, but for the record and for any other non sarcasm-literate readers who may have been mislead by my devilishly clever wordplay, the supposition made in my previous post was not a serious one.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

mojo filters wrote:I was only kidding; the juxtaposition of PK yawning and the little kid staring at him was a bit odd I thought.

The little kid in the water reminded me of Nevermind, but for the record and for any other non sarcasm-literate readers who may have been mislead by my devilishly clever wordplay, the supposition made in my previous post was not a serious one.

sorry for any confusion mojo...you just never know round here! but yes i am absolutely thrilled about the possibilities of this collaboration.

oddly, i seem to be more interested with what Sonic has been up to lately rather than J. i loved what he did with MGMT and Panda Bear. his last release War Sucks was really good and some of the remixes that have been popping up are fantastic. huh, i never really thought all of that would come from my mouth! :shock:

does anybody remember the last remix J. did? was it the one for Goldfrapp?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Sorry if I sounded rather sanctimonious and patronizing; stereotyping folk from across the pond in respect of recognising irony :shock:

I'm not a huge fan of the MGMT material, though I can appreciate what they're trying to do. Unfortunately I don't think I've heard the Panda Bear material - what's the name of the record(s) he was involved with?

I love "War Sucks" and thought that plus the Capt Memphis collaboration album is amongst the best material he has produced over the whole course of his career - it really whets one's appetite for the "On the Wings of Mercury" Spectrum album, which I very much hope is still in the pipeline. If the quality is up there with those two it will be a seminal work and thoroughly worthy of the excitement and anticipation preceding it!

I didn't realise Jason had remixed anything since the "Editors" single which was enjoyable but not the Spaceman style that when on form works real magic 8)

I'll have to seek this Goldfrapp mix out. I'm not a massive fan - the stuff of theirs I know sounds ok but very much like good library music designed to appeal to those soundtracking tv, adverts and so forth. However compared to "Editors" at least the base material will be better, with more potential for him to work some musical magic on the remixed final product. Thanks for bringing this to my attention :D
Dave Chappelle
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

ha! i have never heard the Editors remix. i never heard of Goldfrapp till J. mixed them. here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9UKxsoFbM4

ahh yep Capt Memphis is probably my favorite thing Sonic has done. some great renditions on that album. yeah i'm not holding my breath for the Wings of... album, for some reason that title has been kicked around for years yet nothing has come to fruition. hopefully it will eventually see the light of day.

the Panda Bear album Sonic produced is called Tomboy, personally not as good as the non-associated Sonic album Person Pitch.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Thanks for that! Whilst I enjoyed Jason's remix, I then listened to the Maps mix of Goldfrapp's "A&E" and thought in comparison, that remix was not only better as a standalone track, but having also just listened to the originals of both songs, the Maps remix was the more impressive development and reworking of the original source material - well worth a listen and easily found if you scroll down the YouTube link above!

To be fair I'm a big fan of James Chapman. Not only is his original material innovative and enjoyable, his remixes are consistently brilliant. In the case of all Maps remixed tracks I've heard, he never fails to improve on the originals and achieves fantastic results. Obviously it helps that he always starts with good (and mostly very good) tunes -but I'm always impressed with the innovative signature sonics that characterize all his remixes.

I'll keep an ear open for the Panda Bear tunes as well.
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wonder when this collaboration will see the light of day. Sonic has his hands in many pies doesn't he.
re: Peaking Lights I must confess to being slightly disappointed that their Liverpool Psych Fest set is to be a 'Sound System' appearance rather than the band proper. not sure what this will entail but wonder whether it is just a glorified DJ set?

also, off topic a bit... I really like Maps but I went off them on the second album. the first album was really great (as were many of the EP tracks from the time), also saw him live around that time and really enjoyed it- he had a full band and it had a big swirling shoegaze sound to it. I liked that he took a lot of obvious influences (MBV, Lazer Guided-era Spz) but also but his own stamp on it. there was a particular atmosphere and attention to detail that was so Maps.
the second album was poor though, it moved towards pounding dance beats and weaker versions of the first album's tunes. also saw a live show at the time that jettisoned the rock band format for just him, another bloke and a laptop. it was totally lacklustre.
their latest album came out a couple of weeks ago, and I guess I should see if he is back on form..

so I guess what I am trying to say in this whole post is I prefer 'proper bands' (whatever that means!) to DJ's/laptops :)