Peter Kember on Stereolab ABC music

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

KingHarry
Known user

Peter Kember on Stereolab ABC music

Post by KingHarry »

On the tracklist PK is credited on 3 tracks on ABC Music, but I'm sure that I've heard, possibly from PK in an interview, that he played on more / most of it?

Can anyone confirm?
Laz69
Known user

Re: Peter Kember on Stereolab ABC music

Post by Laz69 »

Stereolab's ABC Music is a collection of radio sessions Stereolab did from '91 to '01 if i'm not mistaken. I don't imagine PK played on them all. Probably just one one or two around the Emperor Tomato Ketchup album (circa 1996) which he was also credited/thanks on. Don't have it to hand but i think he plays on Metronomic Underground on that album.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

That's all correct, so I wouldn't have expected him to be presnet on all of them, but sure I've seen somewhere that his involvement was more than the single session that he's credited on. Small details - presumably this is the same period that the Splitting the Atom 7' came from?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

If you can go back far enough on this very forum, there is a post from PK addressing this exact issue - ie he points out the inaccuracies in the relevant liner notes.

As I recall it was around the same time he posted about his dislike of working with a certain non-tragically-now-dead member of Stereolab.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

mojo filters wrote:As I recall it was around the same time he posted about his dislike of working with a certain non-tragically-now-dead member of Stereolab.
I'm trying to work out this sentence...

If you mean Mary Hanson that's not right at all - Pete was devoted to her and wrote Mary from Indian Giver in her memory. On the other hand he didn't like Laetitia at all. But your words rather suggest that it's not tragic that Mary is dead!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

runcible wrote:
mojo filters wrote:As I recall it was around the same time he posted about his dislike of working with a certain non-tragically-now-dead member of Stereolab.
I'm trying to work out this sentence...

If you mean Mary Hanson that's not right at all - Pete was devoted to her and wrote Mary from Indian Giver in her memory. On the other hand he didn't like Laetitia at all. But your words rather suggest that it's not tragic that Mary is dead!
Apologies for confusing the issue - I was (quite unsuccessfully apparently) trying to discreetly imply a reference to Laetitia Sadier, who to the best of my knowledge is not now tragically dead (nor did I intend to give the impression that her death would not be tragic, simply that it had not yet happened) - as opposed to Mary Hanson who very sadly is, and who inspired the lovely opening track on the rather good "Indian Giver" / "vs Capt Memphis" Spectrum album.

I meant to imply that there was a now tragically dead female member of Stereolab, in addition to another who could not be described in such terms ... next time I shall try and refrain from attempting confusing double-negatives in wordplay, in the interests of clarity - as I in no way intended to cast aspersions that Mary's death was not a very sad and tragic event, as it was and still is.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle