Starstreamer

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

plastic37
Known user

Starstreamer

Post by plastic37 »

A couple of mentions of the Starstreamer on the thread discussing Runcible's excellent Soul Kiss Glide Divide (sic) article.
I'm sure we'd all agree that this most important member of the band deserves its own thread.
Share your memories, thoughts and favoured settings here. Photos, circuit diagrams and pilfered content welcome.

Here's one of the latest YouTube show-off vids to kick us off.
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Re: Starstreamer

Post by plastic37 »

Towards the end of typing that i thought: "I bet there's one of these on the Instruments page". And sure enough, there is. But that's more about the pedal that came out a a couple of years ago. This is more of a fan homage to the guitar itself.
Heavy Tourism
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I notice he fiddles around with the various onboard fx, but only actually plays something when he comes to a generic distortion sound - where he knocks out a dreadfully hackneyed and predictable blues riff. I guess to his credit he did give a brief demo of the palm wah sound.

But really, why pick a guitar with such unique and unusual features to make a video of, then only use the most common and generic ones, virtually ignoring everything that makes that Vox interesting and noteworthy?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

mojo filters wrote:virtually ignoring everything that makes that Vox interesting and noteworthy?
Your point made me think of a conversation i had with a vintage Vox user. He didn't have a Starstreamer but it was one of the models with the same on board effects - none of which worked!
Heavy Tourism
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

plastic37 wrote:Your point made me think of a conversation i had with a vintage Vox user. He didn't have a Starstreamer but it was one of the models with the same on board effects - none of which worked!
It was issues with QC that eventually stopped production of guitars like this I believe, making them so collectible now. In its 1960s heyday JMI / Vox were manufacturing stuff in Italy, UK and the US - but ended up in trouble with a bad reputation for inconsistency.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

here is a link to a very in depth topic about the repeat percussion circuit by itself.

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2687

It helped me through the process of building one that would work...
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Again, here's me misreading a thread title.

I thought this was about a Spacemen 3 influenced band called Starstreamer who used a loop of Feelin Just Fine in this track:

http://www.mixcloud.com/chris_farmer/mo ... l_version/
burdman72
Known user

Post by burdman72 »

Dreamweapon you have just made my day! Why? I was in that band Starstreamer and, yes, we did name ourselves after the guitar! 8)