Spacemen 3 record value

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

captain_howdy
New user

Spacemen 3 record value

Post by captain_howdy »

I have a bunch of Spacemen 3 releases and they are not worth massive amounts. I do however have a copy of Dreamweapon on Fierce Recordings. The b-side is designed to play from the inner to the outer which is pretty rad. It is also signed by Sonic Boom himself.

http://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-Dream ... ase/381711

Is their a good market for stuff like this? I know the release is worth a bit by itself - just interested.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Spacemen 3 record value

Post by BzaInSpace »

I deleted the second post as it was probably just a double post.
The cynical might argue the SP3 records that aren't signed by Sonic might be worth more... :wink:
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Spacemen 3 record value

Post by runcible »

You found one of the best places to sell it if you choose - Discogs is a great site. Otherwise Eb*y.

The signature does nothing for the value as Barry says. Pete signs so much stuff - nice to have as a personal thing but not adding value. With both his and Jason's signatures and that'd be different.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I'd like to have that record, but even the lowest price in sales history, $40, is a bit much for me.
captain_howdy
New user

Post by captain_howdy »

hmm.... interesting. Still nice to have on display. Not sure I'd ever sell any of my collection, might give it away to the right person.

is there any of their stuff that is considered super rare?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

captain_howdy wrote:is there any of their stuff that is considered super rare?
Spacemen 3? Christ - where to start?!

The Big City remix with I Love You on the b-side. Only 50 made.

The first Munster 7" - very hard to get.

How The Blues Should've Turned Out double CD. 100 copies.

That's for starters. Tip on an iceberg mate!
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Spacemen 3 record value; Subjective, perhaps unnecessary

Post by semisynthetic »

I enjoy adding to my collection; my "Arkiv"; and of course funds are central to increasing the fullness and "library-like" nature of music I REALLY LIKE, and music in general, however I personally try to avoid conversation of "What is it WORTH?" Certainly NOT a slight against anyone else who may be curious or wishes to know what to expect if a certain list is in front of them; but after all these years, I know "I can't have Everything"; so I do my best to obtain only the best for my collection; and if I do somehow come up with a less than satisfactory quality disc, and deem it "essential", I will replace if at all possible; sometimes this has taken 25 years or more!

"Worth" is so subjective, that I usually avoid Ebay and these types of outlets unless the recording is sealed and appears "as new". I can obtain from "the old dealers" exceptionally obscure, quality pieces within a 2-5 figure price tag if I am patient and the piece is something special to me. Bargain Bin visits are as frequent as I can make them, since the old idiom "one man's trash is another man's treasure" is easily seen here. A "Treasure" which I have looked out for YEARS to find that apparently no one else cares for, will be there for "almost free". I enjoy sharing bits of my collection, to share images that are more obscure; but the price paid at that point, is, in my mind, irrelevant. The music matters more. As long as I can obtain what I am looking for at what I consider "fair", that is enough talk about price in my opinion.

Again, I mean no slight of another persons opinion; it is simply that a fixation on price, ( in my opinion), detracts from wonderful examples to see and hear and enjoy. But, I suppose it is "fun to share" the fact that you DID pick up a desirable piece for $1! I just object to the overdone fixation of ($), since ($) is simply a means to an end.

(I like the "somewhat cynical joke" if it ISN'T signed by Pete K it is probably rarer!). Personally, I don't mind an extra "variable" that shows the interest of the artist by adding some personal touch. I think both Pete K and Jason P do a good job of this; usually signing promo pieces and artwork and recordings with something better than an unintelligible scrawl.
:D
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

One of the things i like about discussing hard to find records on these pages is the way that few people show any fixation on the prices. I'll bet that most people on here brought the commercially available records at retail price when they first came out.
Its the ones that were only available with some magazine or other/test pressings that stir interest.
I was looking at the latest Record Collector guide the other day. It's funny how this book has become redundant now that we have discogs/popsike.

semisynthetic wrote:it is "fun to share" the fact that you DID pick up a desirable piece for $1

...sounds like a good idea for a thread
Heavy Tourism
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

If I had unlimited means, or even 3x my salary, I could collect without concern for price and only pick the top quality pieces at the moment I wanted them. That would be great! But it's not my reality. I must dig and hunt bargains. Things like the Spacemen 3 box set are not for people like me, who might LOVE to have it, but simply can't fit it into my ever-tightening budget, as costs go up and income stays mostly the same.

I only focus on price when I get a great deal, not when I feel I have paid too much. Fortunately, that doesn't happen too often.