Spectrum Live Dates

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

ABOCA
Known user

Spectrum Live Dates

Post by ABOCA »

There are some Spectrum live gigs in the first week of June:

Tue 3rd June. The Music Café, Leicester, UK.
Wed 4th June. Electrowekrz, London, UK.
Thurs 5th June. Magasin 4, Brussels, Belgium w/ Wooden Shjips
Fri 6th June. Eindhoven Psych Lab, Holland
Sat 7th June. Haute Frequencies Festival, Leysin, Switzerland
KingHarry
Known user

Re: Spectrum Live Dates

Post by KingHarry »

FANTASTIC NEWS

thanks for posting

Christ - Leicester?!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Might go to Brussels....Wooden Shjips and Spectrum 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it is pretty weird he is playing the well known musical hotbed that is Leicester :) but that's actually not too far from me so might go for it... Spectrum don't play live that often so you have to take advantage!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:it is pretty weird he is playing the well known musical hotbed that is Leicester :) but that's actually not too far from me so might go for it... Spectrum don't play live that often so you have to take advantage!
I agree - maybe there are more dates to be announced?

Assuming there are only 2 UK dates; whilst Leicester is closer to me, London is better for accommodation plus would prefer to see the 2nd gig on the tour - got burned that way when I last saw Spz at the Sage as the 1st gig of the last leg of their last proper UK tour...
Last edited by mojo filters on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

PS why are Songkick / Bad Vibrations using such an unflattering photo to "promote" the London gig?
Last edited by mojo filters on Wed May 07, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Full band do you think?

Hasn't the most recent European dates been PK alone?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

KingHarry wrote:Full band do you think?

... hence I suspect this will also be a solo show ...

I will be exceptionally pleased to be proved wrong - I will be even more pleased to get to one of the gigs :D
Dave Chappelle
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

mojo filters wrote:

... hence I suspect this will also be a solo show ...

I will be exceptionally pleased to be proved wrong - I will be even more pleased to get to one of the gigs :D
I will definitely going to the London show - although as Olan notes, the Brussels date would be the one to go to if possible
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I am told this is indeed a full band - you lucky people. Wish they were coming to Leeds! :(
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I'm in, looking forward to this already.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

I'm in for Brussels. Pete's opening indeed with a full band before the Wooden Shjips. There's also a third band playing, not shure who that will be

http://www.heartbreaktunes.com/en/concerts/3557
"Thank you"
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:it is pretty weird he is playing the well known musical hotbed that is Leicester :) but that's actually not too far from me so might go for it... Spectrum don't play live that often so you have to take advantage!
I've been told that the Music Cafe has a relatively new, very nice and well-installed sound system. Apparently there's a well-respected small Manchester venue with a very similar rig and great sound, though I can't remember the name mentioned right now.

However apparently the Music Cafe, Leicester is mostly known for what our cousins across the pond call EDM - putting on both DJs and live acts. Which is probably good, since the keys/synths (eg as opposed to guitars) are really the lead instrument(s) in the music of Spectrum. A decent PA rig should in theory be very linear, and hence equally capable of accurately reproducing a guitar as a filtered wobbly TB303 bass - though to properly do the latter justice, you really need (compared to typical rock'n'roll) at least an extra octave or two of extension down at the bottom of the sub frequencies 8)

Also if Electrowerkz is the club I'm thinking of, last time I went nearly 10 years ago now - Soul Jazz Records used to sound ska-tastic at their 100% Dynamite celebration of everything seriously skanking!
Dave Chappelle
bluelineswinger
New user

Post by bluelineswinger »

Brussels :D
I saw Spectrum in 2010 and it was good good good.
At the end of suicide Pete came to the bar and watched the band play.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

bluelineswinger wrote:Brussels :D
I saw Spectrum in 2010 and it was good good good.
At the end of suicide Pete came to the bar and watched the band play.
Where's that set list from?

Yoo Doo Right?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

They played You Doo Right??? Is there a recording of that?? Would love to hear it.
bluelineswinger
New user

Post by bluelineswinger »

It was this show: http://www.4ad.be/page/events/detail.php?event=2249
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bm1/4578838060/?rb=1

Yoo doo right is on the setlist, but I don't know if they didn't play it or if I just didn't recognize it in the noise. In any case it can't have been the complete song. I wondered about that too when I saw it written there :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The gigs this week feature Will on bass. Wish I could go!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

likewise! bit to far for me. shame there isn't a gig in the north.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

clewsr wrote:likewise! bit to far for me. shame there isn't a gig in the north.
Absolutely - the really annoying thing is they were trying to play at the Brudenell but it didn't work out. :cry: Leicester was tempting but I have a school run to do first thing next day and I am also going to Follakzoid on Wednesday. Plus I'm barely awake today after last night's horror show getting back from the Etihad and only just surviving the school run this morning!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

yes that did sound horrific. I had a similar experience leaving the Trafford centre many years ago. I vowed never to return. Hellish place.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

I'm absolutley gutted that I just can't get to either date. I was hoping to get to London and arrange around work, but unable to do so. Only possibility is driving across to Leicester from Warrington, there and back on the night. I've considered it, but would be madness

Prolem is, you feel there may not be many more of these - hope he sells lots of tickets (although that may convince him to play Leicester again :? ).

That's interesting Mark re PK trying to get on at Brudenell. How difficult can booking a venue be?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

KingHarry wrote:That's interesting Mark re PK trying to get on at Brudenell. How difficult can booking a venue be?
I think the dates just didn't work, that's all. I know they tried though.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:
KingHarry wrote:That's interesting Mark re PK trying to get on at Brudenell. How difficult can booking a venue be?
I think the dates just didn't work, that's all. I know they tried though.
That is such a shame :(
'Remember, change is not good'
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Did anyone go to Leicester last night? how was it and what was the rough setlist?
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Well I was fortunate enough to make it. I checked the venue details late last week, and there was no mention of it on the Music Café website. The only mentions I'd found were here, and on sonic-boom.info where the dates were initially announced; so I was a bit wary that the whole thing may have been called off.

So glad I went though! I was one of the first in, and it seemed to be a long time before punters started filling the place up, but by the time the support ('Children of Leir') had finished their set, the place seemed pretty full. It's only a small venue, so we're maybe talking 100 - 200 people (I could have a completely warped sense of 'full' though...), but at one point I had visions of there just being a handful of folk there.

Short and sweet gig, Pete and Will were on top form. I think I recognised the other guitarist and drummer from the last time I saw them in Brighton 3 or 4 years ago. Cracking set list, played nice and tight. A highlight for me (there were no low points)was 'Angel'. It was sublime; that sparse, shimmering minimalism taking me back 25-odd years to when I first moved out of home and into a flat with my now wife :) I used to have 'Angel' and 'Just to see you smile' on heavy rotation, and it really fitted with the aesthetic of our place, and of the day.

I'm a complete tart, because I loved the encore of 'Revolution' - made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. And again, rocketed me back to Spacemen 3 at Warwick University in the 90's.

Not wanting to post a spoiler, but 'Suicide' had the 'usual' finish...

All topped off with a 'Merry Christmas' from Pete. Lovely stuff.

Set List:

Che
Lord I'm So Drunk I Don't Even Know My Name
Angel
How You Satisfy Me
When Tomorrow Hits
Suicide
...encore...
Revolution

Started at 21:55, finished 22:35
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

...some nice merch too, but I didn't want to frighten my wallet, so kept well away.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Thanks for that above Spiby. Did you hang about and have any chat with PK?

I've always found that to be one of the highlights of Spectrum gigs - their availability afterwards and happiness to chat.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

A recording of the Leicester gig is now seeding on dimeadozen. All aboard, all aboard...

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=494312

Spectrum
Music Cafe
Leicester
England
3rd June 2014

Lineage: Church Audio CA-11 cardoid mics>Church Audio Battery Box>Sony PCM-M10 (24 bit, 44.1kHz)
Transfer: Sony PCM-M10> usb > wav > Soundforge 9 (Slight compression, Normalise, Fade-in/fade-out, 16 bit 44.1kHz)>CD Wave (Track splits)>FLAC>mp3tagv2.55a (Tag Flacs)

1.Che
2.Lord I Don't Even Know My Name
3.Angel
4.How You Satisfy Me
5.When Tomorrow Hits
6.Suicide
7.Revolution

Notes:
Recorded next to right stack.
The band went off after the sixth song but the effects kept going so I didn't split a separate track for the encore break.
Undo the Taboo was listed on the setlist but I don't think it was played. Suicide and Revolution swapped places on the setlist after the band had a bit of a get together after the fifth track.

Really stunning set to a pretty good sized and very appreciative crowd - I'd estimate 200ish in a 350 capacity venue which has rarely been used for this sort of event in recent times. Pete was in good form afterwards and happily signed stuff and had photos taken - seemed a nice bloke.

I'd never heard much by Spectrum/Sonic Boom/Spacemen 3 and went to this primarily as it's reasonably rare to have a name like this bother coming to Leicester, so hats off to the local promoter who made it happen. They were a revelation to me, just up my street and there was a buzz amongst a number of the regular Leicester gig goers afterwards and on facebook that you don't see that often.

Upped by PontiacB
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

thanks for the heads up. Nothing doing on the torrent at the moment, hopefully someone will seed it.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by nickh on Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

KingHarry wrote:Thanks for that above Spiby. Did you hang about and have any chat with PK?

I've always found that to be one of the highlights of Spectrum gigs - their availability afterwards and happiness to chat.
Unfortunately I had to dash off, as I had an early start the next day (that's the problem with gigs on a school night!). I did bump into an urban fox just outside the venue though, but I'm not sure that counts.

I heard from Mark Refoy yesterday that he and Jonny were there too, and it sounds like they enjoyed it.

Hey Mark! I think it only takes a few seconds of decision... to realise... that the time... is RIGHT... to start thinking about...

a Slipstream/Spectrum split 7" of "B-Day" and "Revolution" :lol:

They both catch the mood of the day.
Harmony
New user

Post by Harmony »

Sorry everyone, first time poster, long time reader, did anyone at the London date catch the name of the support band? I thought they were pretty good. I don't think it was Children of Leir who played Leicester.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i was at the leicester date. lovely fun all round really. leicester gigs are hard to promote at the best of times but to pull over 200 to a little used venue on a monday night is really impressive. mark and johnny were there also and i picked up a copy of the withdrawn spectrum / mgmt 7" which topped off a fantastic night all round. nice to see mr carruthers back playing with pete as well.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Thanks for the video footage ... especially nice for those of us not lucky enough to get to any of these gigs!

Does anyone know what bass Willie B was playing? The headstock (all I could make out on the footage) with a hole and Rickenbacker-type tuning-peg layout isn't one I can put a name to, though it slightly reminds me of some expensive and esoteric types of bass I normally only see in magazine reviews (for example the pig-ugly yet fancy and upmarket types of bass John Entwhistle nearly always played in his later years).

Also I'd love to see a full Sound on Sound-esque production profile of Spectrum's live ensemble. Particularly focussed on how Pete generates the various synth lines while he plays another instrument over the top. From the look of the video these weren't typical straightforward backing tracks (ie JoeCo Black Box, laptop with Ableton and so forth) but something else he had on stage with him, and manipulated/triggered before each song ... any ideas?
Dave Chappelle
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Harmony wrote:Sorry everyone, first time poster, long time reader, did anyone at the London date catch the name of the support band? I thought they were pretty good. I don't think it was Children of Leir who played Leicester.
Last edited by nickh on Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by nickh on Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I downloaded this show from Dime last night. Hoping to give it a whirl tonight...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

did that work for you? I tried and it didn't seem to find any peers to connect to.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

If i can organise myself i'll offer it up via Dropbox...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

clewsr wrote:did that work for you? I tried and it didn't seem to find any peers to connect to.
I am having the same problem. I believe it is down to a bug in the latest version of uTorrent in my case. I am tempted to downgrade to an earlier version, but a fix is on the way.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

heres some footage of revolution from leicester. i believe will recently put his thunderbird bass up for sale :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasc2c09twk#t=13
Harmony
New user

Post by Harmony »

nickh wrote:
Harmony wrote:Sorry everyone, first time poster, long time reader, did anyone at the London date catch the name of the support band? I thought they were pretty good. I don't think it was Children of Leir who played Leicester.
Hello,

They are called Tripwires, there is some footage of Wedneday night's show on YouTube too.
Cheers mate.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/69eaqp8qpmwa ... rybtz2XM8a

Link to my Dropbox folder with the Spectrum show from Leicester.... any probs, let me know.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Harmony wrote:
nickh wrote:
Hello,

They are called Tripwires, there is some footage of Wedneday night's show on YouTube too.
Cheers mate.
You are welcome, review here: http://shindig-magazine.com/blog/index. ... ve-review/
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

andyblacktoo wrote:i was at the leicester date. lovely fun all round really. leicester gigs are hard to promote at the best of times but to pull over 200 to a little used venue on a monday night is really impressive. mark and johnny were there also and i picked up a copy of the withdrawn spectrum / mgmt 7" which topped off a fantastic night all round. nice to see mr carruthers back playing with pete as well.
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the split 7"?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I believe they were £20 at the shows...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Laz69 wrote:I believe they were £20 at the shows...
That's a good price.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

And a 6th June Eindhoven gig recording is on dimeadozen:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=502474

Spectrum
Friday 6 June 2014
Eindhoven Psych Lab festival (Day 1 of 2)
Effenaar (Main Lab)
Eindhoven, Netherlands

Lineage: CA-14 (Omnis) > CA-9200 Preamp > Sony PCM-M10 (24/48) > Audacity (conversion to 16/44.1 wav-format) > Trader's Little Helper (conversion to flac) > Trader's Little Helper (conversion to wav) > Adobe Audition (tracksplits, cut on sector boundaries) > Trader's Little Helper (conversion to flac) > Mp3Tag (tags) > Trader's Little Helper (creation of checksums and .torrent file) > Flac [16bps/44.1kHz]
Position: ~3 meters from stage
Mics: clamped to chest
Recorded by _tunic_ [last.fm/user/_tunic_]
Tracking and setlist by yangen
Duration: 1h00m31s

Setlist:
01 (intro)
02 Che *
03 Lord I Don't Even Know My Name
04 Angel
05 How You Satisfy Me
06 When Tomorrow Hits #
07 Revolution %
08 Suicide %

* originally by Suicide
# originally by Mudhoney
% originally by Spacemen 3

Blurb from the Psych Lab site:
If you’ve never heard of Spacemen3: the group was a legendary psychedelic -space- kraut- group from the UK that disbanded in 1991. Soon after, Spectrum was formed by Pete 'Sonic Boom' Kember, founder of Spacemen 3. Aside from occasional live tours, Kember has played, collaborated with a number of artists, including Stereolab, Yo La Tengo and produced bands like MGMT and Panda Bear. Today, he will bring the best psychedelia he can produce to Eindhoven Psych Lab. This is nothing less than monumental!, with a well-deserved exclamation mark after mental!

Links:
http://www.sonic-boom.info/
http://www.eindhovenpsychlab.com/
http://www.effenaar.nl/agenda/7784

Reviews:
http://3voor12.vpro.nl/lokaal/eindhoven ... worms.html
http://www.kindamuzik.net/live/eindhove ... dag/25069/

Pix:
http://www.achromemoments.nl/photobook/ ... -lab-2014/

Notes:
Eindhoven Psych Lab festival was the first edition (and hopefully not the last) of a two day festival in the Effenaar in Eindhoven. Not to be missed for me, it doesn't happen so often that there's so many nice bands playing on a 10 minute bike ride from my home. Only a couple days earlier my new microphones and preamp had arrived, so this was the first time I got to use them. And fortunately all recordings came out very nice, except for the first band (Peter J Taylor) where I had set the levels too high. Over the two days the following acts were recorded:
- Peter J Taylor (quite clipped)
- Cosmonauts
- Great Ytene
- Weird Owl
- The Oscillation
- Spectrum
- Wooden Shjips (incomplete)
- Dans Dans
- Nisennenmondai (incomplete)
- Disappears

Most of these bands I didn't really know, and especially for Spectrum I had a hard time in finding out where to put the tracksplits, let alone find the titles to the tracks. Fortunately Yangen offered his help. Thanks a lot!
To be honest, Spectrum was probably the band I liked the least, except for the last two tracks. I should have done my homework a bit better and listen to their work beforehand (and Spacemen 3 too, I know I know). During the first couple of songs I had almost walked out to check out what was going on in the small hall (for this festival renamed to Observatory), or sit outside for a bit to enjoy the bloody hot weather. I did love the last two tracks though, so in the end I was glad that I stayed.
The remaining recordings of this festival will be shared as well some time soonish. But my backlog is getting quite large, and there's a whole lot of fine shows coming up. So it may still take some time.
I know that there was one other taper on the first day of this festival. If you're reading this or you know who I'm talking about, I would love to hear your captures as well! Especially the one of Peter J Taylor, because mine is a bit screwed (and I'm not yet sure whether I will ever share it).

Please don't sell!
Please don't share in lossy format!
Please don't share without the original .txt file!
If you want to remaster this, please let me know so that you can use the master recording!
Support the band. Buy their albums, go see them live!
Category Psychedelic
Last seeder Last activity 1:00 ago
Size 295.72 MB (310,087,817 bytes)
Added Sat 23rd Aug, 2014 10:43 GMT
Views 60
Hits 25
Snatched 17 time(s)
Upped by _tunic_
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

Jebus could you re-upload it somewhere public - I can't get on to Dime.

Thanks in advance!
yangen
Known user

Post by yangen »

If you are still looking for it catweazel let me know, I will try to upload it to mega shortly.
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, I'm still looking for it - Mega would be perfect (and thanks in advance!)
yangen
Known user

Post by yangen »

No worries, here is the link: https://mega.co.nz/#F!hwRB3AqT!kMveIblEubY27kE0Ba_bAg
Files name are different than tunic's upload and it doesn't include the complete info file (not an issue as you can copy it above).
Enjoy!
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

Thanks Yangen, most appreciated!

Gonna give it a listen later tonight...
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Thanks for posting that, just listened now. Really good