A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

Postby catweazel » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:32 pm

As the title suggest, I'm curious to know which gigs weren't taped - or haven't been unearthed since.

To add to this, what gigs would people love to have been taped/shared over the years because they were something special or different to the others? Maybe something happened during the performance, etc.

I ask because it seems like most were taped (I'm guessing by Pete) but what has slipped through the cracks?

Also, I should be digging out that Subteranea video over the next few months... I'm getting closer to which box its in!
catweazel
Known user
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:56 am

Re: A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

Postby olan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:07 am

catweazel wrote: I should be digging out that Subteranea video over the next few months... I'm getting closer to which box its in!


Is it this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKys-TmhrbA&feature=youtu.be

This is the first part, the second part is to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ND1TE34MM

Interesting Sonic Boom gig posted by the same person.
olan
Known user
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:42 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

Postby catweazel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Yup, that familiar blue 'tint' :) That's the one, and thanks for saving me the effort of converting the VHS>DVD and then uploading it (my broadband connection is brutally slow)

Interesting that it's the exact same VHS I received years ago via eBay. It's those three gigs, Sonic ULU, Spiritualized Marquee and SP3 Subteranea. I'm guessing that's how it was sold at the time... probably in Camden :)

Now, if anyone can dig up that video from the Mean Fiddler - where the All Fucked Up bootleg is sourced.

Btw/ A bit of a heads up - Discogs is having a massive purge of bootlegs but the Spacemen 3 ones are still available but probably won't be for long. They tend to be cheaper on Discogs than eBay iirc. The Spiritualized boot from Sweden was blocked from sale last week. Check 'Unoffical' releases to find them.
catweazel
Known user
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:56 am

Re: A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

Postby Ian » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 pm

olan wrote:
catweazel wrote: I should be digging out that Subteranea video over the next few months... I'm getting closer to which box its in!


Is it this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKys-TmhrbA&feature=youtu.be

This is the first part, the second part is to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ND1TE34MM

I think that's the best quality copy of this that I've seen. I've not watched my VHS of this for some time, but all I remember is blue... You can actually see people in this one!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Ian
Known user
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:55 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

Postby plastic37 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Basingstoke Caribbean Club. Early November (from memory the 3rd) 1988.
They didn't play, but legend has it that Jason and the promoter each told their side of the story onstage, through the pa to the 15people (10 of whom were in the support bands) in the venue. Ok, 25 if you count barstaff, the engineers and the promotler/band themselves.
Priceless.
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

Postby Laz69 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:01 am

catweazel wrote:Btw/ A bit of a heads up - Discogs is having a massive purge of bootlegs but the Spacemen 3 ones are still available but probably won't be for long. They tend to be cheaper on Discogs than eBay iirc. The Spiritualized boot from Sweden was blocked from sale last week. Check 'Unoffical' releases to find them.


Looks like these have been blocked already but there is definitely some inconsistency there; some still for sale, others not.
Laz69
Known user
 
Posts: 2174
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:09 am

Re: A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

Postby catweazel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:37 pm

plastic37 wrote:Basingstoke Caribbean Club. Early November (from memory the 3rd) 1988.
They didn't play, but legend has it that Jason and the promoter each told their side of the story onstage, through the pa to the 15people (10 of whom were in the support bands) in the venue. Ok, 25 if you count barstaff, the engineers and the promotler/band themselves.
Priceless.


LOL :) That's a great one, thank you! Would be great to get an eye-witness account of what was said? It all sounds so utterly surreal. Did they not play because there was nobody there or because they'd had a bust-up with the promoter (not that they seem do have done much promoting?) I wonder if that's the smallest gig they played.... well, didn't play.

I've read the Erik Morse book but I'm trying to remember if Spacemen 3 gigs were generally well-attended? The impression I get is that they played for a lot of audiences who were (mostly) complete strangers to their music (esp the European tour, I'm thinking of the one in the ski lodge?) Makes an interesting parallel with the Velvet Underground who must have gone through a similar experience touring. It has always staggered me just how similar musically the Kember/Pierce duo is to Cale/Reed... during SP3 and more specifically after.
catweazel
Known user
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:56 am

Re: A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

Postby SpaceLine » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Probably the best list I can recall was on spacemen3.co.uk

I can find it in way back machine using above URL

https://web.archive.org/web/20090415222 ... engigs.htm
SpaceLine
Known user
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am

Re: A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

Postby Ian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:41 pm

SpaceLine wrote:Probably the best list I can recall was on spacemen3.co.uk

I can find it in way back machine using above URL

https://web.archive.org/web/20090415222 ... engigs.htm

I really must try and fix that site one day. It's worth saying that a fair few people emailed me over the years with corrections and additions, which I should really do something about. But glad that the old list is still helpful.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Ian
Known user
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:55 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: A list of SP3 gigs that haven't been bootlegged...

Postby catweazel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 am

SpaceLine wrote:Probably the best list I can recall was on spacemen3.co.uk

I can find it in way back machine using above URL

https://web.archive.org/web/20090415222 ... engigs.htm


Thanks! I remember seeing that list years ago - Ian, it would be great if you could update it at some point.
catweazel
Known user
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:56 am


Return to Spacemen3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest