RSD "Live in Europe '89"

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

natty
Known user

RSD "Live in Europe '89"

Post by natty »

I see Gerald is still flogging the bit of ground where the corpse of Spacemen 3 once lay:

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/r ... pacemen-3/

"Live in Europe '89" getting a vinyl reissue for RSD 2019, if anyone cares at this point. Remastered 180g audiophile "splatter vinyl" double LP. "Audiophile" 180g vinyl of what's a bootleg quality recording in the first place. FFS, give over, you knob.
mojo filters
Known user

Re: RSD "Live in Europe '89"

Post by mojo filters »

It's notably in line with Morrissey's prophetic lyrics from Paint A Vulgar Picture, on The Smiths final album. Pretty much ticks every box of this verse:

Reissue, repackage, repackage
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra track...

Regardless of how talented, no mastering engineer can extract information never captured at source. I'm sure John Rivers will make it sound as nice as is realistic to expect, but neither the extra width of the double vinyl grooves nor the heavyweight pressing will further make much perceptible difference...except to the price and profitability of course, where the supposed exclusivity of an RSD limited quantity and an extra 8 minutes of Suicide will further increase such unnecessarily!

I'd expect any record company genuinely interested and invested in both maintaining and improving the canonical body of the band's work, offering fans something carefully curated they have not already heard - would manage to release something more interesting, whether live material, unreleased demos, or just existing material better suited to benefit from the John Rivers and upmarket vinyl treatment.

I wonder if the limited RSD run is as much just cover to put a premium price on a release, that even if Palmer was not complicating the purchasing decisions of fans, was potentially unlikely to sell in higher numbers anyway?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

mojo filters wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:21 amexcept to the price and profitability of course, where the supposed exclusivity of an RSD limited quantity and an extra 8 minutes of Suicide will further increase such unnecessarily!
I'm pretty sure those extra 8 minutes have always been on the viynl pressings of this album, right from the start. They were only edited out of the CD version because it would make it too long for a single CD otherwise.

The only reason I'd buy any of these albums again is if someone wrestled the rights away from Palmer and issued some nice difinitive remasters.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A seriously defensive stance from Adasam, Gerald Palmer's company - regarding this release on Facebook's Spacemen 3 Appreciation Society.

They may own the legal rights to these recordings but the morals of reissuing
an artist's material totally against their will appears to be irrelevant.

I may be an obsessive Spacemen 3 conpletist but I didn't buy this...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:31 am I may be an obsessive Spacemen 3 conpletist but I didn't buy this...
Me neither. Spaceage also put out the original recordings for the first Chapterhouse LP for RSD. It must be a nice little earner for the label given the zero overhead other than the costs of pressing up and distributing some LPs.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I posted something in that FB thread.
I have never bought any of those releases.
I do have the Superior Viaduct Highs Lows and the RSD Fucked Up Inside reissue. Those seem to be distributed by the same Adasam guy? I don't understand this at all.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Adasam, Third Stone, Space Age. All part of the same group.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runcible wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:30 pm Adasam, Third Stone, Space Age. All part of the same group...
...mercilessly re-releasing some of the greatest music in the universe without even the slightest care and attention towards audio fidelity, and worse still, ensuring the artists responsible are fucked over at every level.
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Gerald will argue royalties are being paid correctly. Even if so the poor sound on the majority of the records is reason enough to let Pete or Jason remaster them. Which can't happen.

I just find it sad that the people who made the music have no control over it.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

mojo filters wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:21 am It's notably in line with Morrissey's prophetic lyrics from Paint A Vulgar Picture, on The Smiths final album. Pretty much ticks every box of this verse:

Reissue, repackage, repackage
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra track...

Regardless of how talented, no mastering engineer can extract information never captured at source. I'm sure John Rivers will make it sound as nice as is realistic to expect, but neither the extra width of the double vinyl grooves nor the heavyweight pressing will further make much perceptible difference...except to the price and profitability of course, where the supposed exclusivity of an RSD limited quantity and an extra 8 minutes of Suicide will further increase such unnecessarily!

I'd expect any record company genuinely interested and invested in both maintaining and improving the canonical body of the band's work, offering fans something carefully curated they have not already heard - would manage to release something more interesting, whether live material, unreleased demos, or just existing material better suited to benefit from the John Rivers and upmarket vinyl treatment.

I wonder if the limited RSD run is as much just cover to put a premium price on a release, that even if Palmer was not complicating the purchasing decisions of fans, was potentially unlikely to sell in higher numbers anyway?
Is this the same john rivers who produced love and rockets express ? It’s amazing what you remember from looking at records
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I bought a used copy at my local shop. Since the damage was done, and it supported a local, I went for it.