New S3 book

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Starfish
Known user

New S3 book

Post by Starfish »

Are Your Dreams At Night 1985 Sizes Too Big
by Graham Holliday

http://goodpressgallery.co.uk/new-in/a- ... m-holliday

A book about the 1985 Black Lion gig (of the For All The Fucked Up Children... bootleg)
Ian
Known user

Re: New S3 book

Post by Ian »

Graham is a great guy. I presume this is an expanded version of a very extensive blog post he wrote about this gig a few years ago. He's got a very entertaining style. Ordered!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Ian wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:29 pm ... I presume this is an expanded version of a very extensive blog post he wrote about this gig a few years ago...
It is, apparently.
The blog is still online.
Here > https://medium.com/@noodlepie/a-side-ar ... 22596968a0
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Well spotted, ordered.
I think I feel it coming on
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Pete Bassman was a little less complimentary about the book online recently... but i can't help but think a book about someone's experience of life growing up among the people and music of Northampton/Rugby around that time is ENTIRELY their story. Not Pete's, or Sonic's or Jason's. Seemed a bit of an OTT response tbh...
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 am Pete Bassman was a little less complimentary about the book online recently... but i can't help but think a book about someone's experience of life growing up among the people and music of Northampton/Rugby around that time is ENTIRELY their story. Not Pete's, or Sonic's or Jason's. Seemed a bit of an OTT response tbh...
Thought Pete Bassman was unnecessarily harsh, but it seems he and the author have a bit of "previous". Seemed to know a lot about the contents of a book he'd not read, mind.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 am Pete Bassman was a little less complimentary about the book online recently... but i can't help but think a book about someone's experience of life growing up among the people and music of Northampton/Rugby around that time is ENTIRELY their story. Not Pete's, or Sonic's or Jason's. Seemed a bit of an OTT response tbh...
Hmm, is it really a book about the Spacemen ? Or is that just a hook to sell it on? A quick scan of that blog and Pete`s name is missing so yeah, he has a point I think. The blurb says it was the best gig he ever saw lol, his opinion I suppose,
Last edited by niamhm on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

They were a three piece at the time of the gig in the book think, which is probably why it doesn't mention Pete Bain.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ah, I see, so really early.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I read this in one sitting on Saturday, after the spz gig in Amsterdam. Made me wish I was just a few years older so I could have actually seen Spacemen 3. An enjoyable easy read, love letter to the band I'd say.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Just finished it. Nice little book, worth any fan's money. Had an extra dimension for me as an ex-pat Northamptonian I think.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

natty wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:48 pm Just finished it. Nice little book, worth any fan's money. Had an extra dimension for me as an ex-pat Northamptonian I think.
Likewise for me, having spent many of my formative teenage years out and about in Rugby. Sadly post the Spacemen3 era though.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Got a copy during the week, not had a chance to read or even have a proper look at it yet though,
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

I havent read this yet, but Graham very kindly has put one in the post for me. I dont think he's really made it for any form of notable financial benefit, but just to document the blog post after it received quite a bit of attention after he'd written it. I'm looking forward to getting my copy x
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

clewsr wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:11 am
natty wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:48 pm Just finished it. Nice little book, worth any fan's money. Had an extra dimension for me as an ex-pat Northamptonian I think.
Likewise for me, having spent many of my formative teenage years out and about in Rugby. Sadly post the Spacemen3 era though.
My dad caught one of the dirty duck shows. weirdly he would have been the age then that I am now I guess.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Just finished this. Very interesting document of the time. Succeeded in making me jealous that I didn't see any of the gigs mentioned... Graham's tapes (which I think are all out there somewhere) will have to do!

Actually, it's been far too long since I listened to any shows from this era. Time to do something about that.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

I had the book on the same month when it was out, but had other things waiting in line for reading. Indeed - nice document of that time. For a fan every document is satisfying. Art book of Spacemen 3 would be good also. Pete said in Copenhagen that he had read some parts of Will's book :D He was surprised that he had turned out the most sensitive. "Who could expect, that four guys playing together their minds out, having simultaneously feelings flying in all different directions", he added.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

My copy just arrived. Looks great so far! Lots of bits of memorabilia and some great pictures from that era. Probably won't be getting around to it for a while because of the giant stack of "to-reads." :oops:
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

Mine arrived today, looking forward to this!