New stuff from Pete this year?

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

olan
Known user

Re: New stuff from Pete this year?

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:48 pm I'm following Olan and Veiko's lead and ignoring this one. So far anyway.
Yep. Not listening to any of this stuff that comes out early. I'm really looking forward to settling down for an afternoon to listen to the LP as a whole for the first time. I think it is out in the first week of June so not too much longer to wait. It is the first thing Sonic has released on his own for years so it deserves special attention.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angelsighs wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:06 pm New one is really good, I don't think you guys will be disappointed. Can definitely hear the Panda Bear influence again.
This album is shaping up to be great.
This is my fav so far. Cracking
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Mine arrived yesterday, the packaging is lovely, the sound is really good. Only managed to listen once but really like it. Worth the wait.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Really surprised some people have received copies already as it's not actually out for another couple of weeks. I managed to get one of the VERY limited ones from Carpark and an indies only one too. Do they come with a download code by the way?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Dreamweapon wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:09 am Really surprised some people have received copies already as it's not actually out for another couple of weeks. I managed to get one of the VERY limited ones from Carpark and an indies only one too. Do they come with a download code by the way?
The limited one arrived here yesterday. It comes with a download card for MP3s. I bought mine from Bandcamp so a FLAC D/L will be available eventually. I was surprised at how quietly mastered the red glow in the dark vinyl is (it is a milky pink in daylight). I've also ordered the black vinyl and hope that is pressed with a bit more oomph. It is a really very decent LP at first listen. More importantly though, it is great to see Pete releasing his own music after all this time. It is more than a decade since his last 'new' material was released (ignoring collaborations and the archival releases on Great Pop Supplement).
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

My glow in the dark vinyl doesn't seem that quietly.mastered. The sound is deep and punchy and the clarity is immense.

Really like "Just a Little Piece of Me", "On a Summer's Day", "I Can See Light Bend" and "The Way That You Live", which was my favourite of the three released prior to the LP so far.

It's a really good record. Couldn't have come at a better time.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

what a thorough review - https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/s ... d=80102327

Not got my copy yet. Hoping for a postman this morning,
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

olan wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 am (it is a milky pink in daylight)
Ah, good! It's obviously meant to be that colour. Mine came today and I was a bit surprised when I opened it. Looking forward to listening this evening (and seeing it in the dark) :)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

mc wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:04 pm
olan wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 am (it is a milky pink in daylight)
Ah, good! It's obviously meant to be that colour. Mine came today and I was a bit surprised when I opened it. Looking forward to listening this evening (and seeing it in the dark) :)

It is nice to see this getting out a bit early. It is a lovely LP and just the thing to lift the spirits. A bit of sun, some new music from Sonic and all the current bullshit just drifts away for a while.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

A little surface noise and slight warp on my copy, but who cares when the album itself is this good :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Mines came yesterday, two listens last night and listening just now, I`m loving it, joyous electronica, this stuff is being done by someone who totally knows their shit though , a lot of this stuff going about but not as good as this, Tawkin Techno on side two? Very close cousin to Girl by Suicide, incestuously close, its ace though.
Such a buzz to have a new Sonic Boom album, looks amazing artistically as well, except the glow in the dark aint glowing too much, minor quibble
Last edited by niamhm on Thu May 28, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

niamhm wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:48 pm Mines came yesterday, two listens last night and listening just now, I`m loving it, joyous electronica, this stuff is being done by someone who totally knows their shit though , a lot of this stuff going about but not as good as this, Tawkin Techno on side two? Very close cousin to Girl by Suicide, incestuously close, its f#ckin` though.
Such a buzz to have a new Sonic Boom album, looks amazing artistically as well, except the glow in the dark aint glowing too much, minor quibble
Stick it under a light for a bit. Then it glows brightly.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mine just arrived in the post :D It does indeed look great. Won't get to listen until tonight though.

Anyone else get two posters as well as the foil print? Or was i just lucky on that score? :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

So is it both Bandcamp & Carpark who have sent these out early? I ordered through Rough Trade to collect, as I used to be based about 5 minutes away from there. Can’t see that happening by next week. Also, the post has been erratic to say the least round here, sometimes taking a month to arrive. So, at this rate, I’ll let you know what I think of the album sometime in July! First world problems, I know....
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Has anyone received a black vinyl LP or CD yet or is it just the 'glow-in-the-dark-red' LPs that have been distributed?
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

I haven't posted on here for ages as I've fallen out of love with spiritualized, haven't liked anything since amazing grace, and I've been busy 😂 but had to jump back after this coming out, fuck me....what a return ! We've all been waiting for decades for a new album, I'd given up thinking " on the wings of mercury" was meant to come out and it was all over. But Pete has knocked it out of the park with this one. Hopefully we'll get some 12" remixes stretched out. Such good music at a much needed time.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:18 pm Has anyone received a black vinyl LP or CD yet or is it just the 'glow-in-the-dark-red' LPs that have been distributed?
My black one arrived last Saturday 🙂
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

No turntable at the moment and the digital option won't let me download until Monday. Aaaaargh!!!!! :(
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

olan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:18 pm Has anyone received a black vinyl LP or CD yet or is it just the 'glow-in-the-dark-red' LPs that have been distributed?
I got both black and luminous at the same time in the same mailer! Only played it once and I was distracted but it sounded pretty good. Loved the track with Panda Bear particularly. More investigation required...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:49 am
I got both black and luminous at the same time in the same mailer! Only played it once and I was distracted but it sounded pretty good. Loved the track with Panda Bear particularly. More investigation required...
That is what I needed to know. They might have forgotten to post my black copy out. I'll email them.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Has anyone not received it yet? I bought the CD from (I think) Bandcamp rather than CarPark, and it's not with me yet ... getting worried
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

KingHarry wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:42 pm Has anyone not received it yet? I bought the CD from (I think) Bandcamp rather than CarPark, and it's not with me yet ... getting worried
Didn't think it was technically released until Friday
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I contacted Carpark today because a lot of people in the UK have received their LP's but not the US. He said the CDs were delayed.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Norman Records are saying they are sending their copies out today I saw, so it's being distributed all over the UK.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I was in touch with the Alec Moss from Carpark. It appears that orders may be delayed if the order includes a CD (as mine via Bandcamp did). I did get the Glow-in-the-dark version directly from Carpark so that will tide me over. I think the Bandcamp downloads become active from Friday 5th.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Review in this month's Q - 4 out of 5 stars
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Also a full 4 page feature on Sonic as he’s this month’s Maverick
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Pete's doing a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) next week. We can ask him all those burning geeky questions :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA-CUy1nZeP/
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

spzretent wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:41 pm I contacted Carpark today because a lot of people in the UK have received their LP's but not the US. He said the CDs were delayed.
I ordered the deluxe vinyl and cd from Carpark...Will it shop from the US? I wonder how long it will take to get to the UK?
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Apparently Carpark originally cut the orders of the limited, Indie only, foil sleeve vinyl for a number of record shops. Then, on delivery, those record shops received even less copies again, having already taken people’s orders. Did they underestimate the sales demand? Hope this hasn’t affected Pete in any way financially, especially after all that has gone down with Spaceage!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

clewsr wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:37 pm I ordered the deluxe vinyl and cd from Carpark...Will it shop from the US? I wonder how long it will take to get to the UK?
Carpark were shipping from the UK too. So i guess you haven't received yours because they're waiting on the cd, which has been delayed.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The reason I emailed them on the US side is because people I know in the UK were receiving their Lp's over a week before we were.
The guy who responded mention the CD delay. I'd imagine that is worldwide. The upshot I got from the response that Carpark were waiting to send the CD and LP bundles together. I only ordered the ltd LP and it arrived yesterday here in Detroit.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

I've had my copy from Carpark, and waiting to receive my indies copy from Piccadilly Records today (had an email to say it's been mailed out). First listen as I'm working this morning - really like tracks 1,2,3,7 and 10.

About to go for a second listen.....
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Hmm, just been listening to it on Spotify, and other than the previously released tracks, all the other tracks play back at the wrong speed. I listened to the whole of 'Spinning Coins...' like this, thinking it was an amazing drone, reading reviews and wondering how the reviewers were able to work out the lyrics. Then I realised it was toooo slllooooowwww.

This is Pete's way of making sure I buy the album. Fair enough - I like what I've heard so far.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Got an email from Bandcamp yesterday saying that it's been shipped. Got an email with digital download and a thanks from Pete this morning.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Spiby wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:57 pm Hmm, just been listening to it on Spotify, and other than the previously released tracks, all the other tracks play back at the wrong speed. I listened to the whole of 'Spinning Coins...' like this, thinking it was an amazing drone, reading reviews and wondering how the reviewers were able to work out the lyrics. Then I realised it was toooo slllooooowwww.

This is Pete's way of making sure I buy the album. Fair enough - I like what I've heard so far.
Confirmed on Facebook yesterday that Spotify and Amazon music both had issues and had some tracks at the wrong speed. I believe it was in the process of being corrected.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

ABOCA wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 pm Apparently Carpark originally cut the orders of the limited, Indie only, foil sleeve vinyl for a number of record shops. Then, on delivery, those record shops received even less copies again, having already taken people’s orders. Did they underestimate the sales demand? Hope this hasn’t affected Pete in any way financially, especially after all that has gone down with Spaceage!
I've now received my Carpark exclusive edition, and my indies only LP also arrived today, so really happy. I managed to find a download this week on a music blog, so haven't actually opened either of them yet. I know this may sound like a dichotomy, and I'm always trying to find the balance in my head between opening them to look at the beautiful product inside (unfortunately due to various circumstances, I haven't had a turntable or stereo for several years now, so can only listen to my music digitally). I also bought the orange vinyl, pink vinyl, white vinyl and silver vinyl editions of ANH), and haven't opened these yet either - I really want to, but can't bring myself to at the moment... Unfortunately I didn't manage to get a VMP magenta edition of the LP, but other than the Carpark exclusive and indies only, does anyone know of any other special editions either released or in the pipeline? Pete is also known for his love of the packaging as well as the actual product..

You also mention about whether Carpark underestimated demand and shops receiving fewer copies (it seems to have got universally good reviews), and the potential effect on Pete. I know he's never been overly commercially oriented and we are now in a world that's changed very considerably in terms of how charts now seem to work and the music that does receive commercial success). Having said that, it would be nice to see him get the recognition that he and his music deserves.

Do we know for sure that he has managed to make 'All Things...' without losing anything to Gerald?

Do we also know (I know some of the board are in touch with him personally too) whether 'On The Wings..' will see the light of day, or whether anything will also be released from 'All Things' with additional tracks?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Dreamweapon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:32 pm Also a full 4 page feature on Sonic as he’s this month’s Maverick
Towards the end of the article, he also seems to indicate more of a thawing of relations with Jason. I know they got together to encourage fans not to buy any of the endless stream of RSD releases from which they weren't going to see any of the proceeds of, and which seemed to go straight back to Gerald, but this seemed to go further. I know nobody's getting ahead of themselves in terms of a reunion or anything, but Sonic at least states that there has been communication between them, which is nice.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Love in the middle of an afternoon. Just me, my bike, my Pharm and new Boom.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

looking at the RSD list (now being done in a slightly different way due to the pandemic), some other releases are on Space Age too including Acid Mothers Temple and Telescopes. wonder if they are as dodgy too? even if not do we want to give money to them at all?

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/media/1386 ... -dates.pdf

wonder if there's still gonna be some legal action?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

sunray wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:50 pm Love in the middle of an afternoon. Just me, my bike, my Pharm and new Boom.
:D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Pete was on Reddit answering questions yesterday. Anyone chime in? It was here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/com ... _june_8th/

Some interesting questions. A few silly ones inevitably.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Spiby wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:57 pm Hmm, just been listening to it on Spotify, and other than the previously released tracks, all the other tracks play back at the wrong speed. I listened to the whole of 'Spinning Coins...' like this, thinking it was an amazing drone, reading reviews and wondering how the reviewers were able to work out the lyrics. Then I realised it was toooo slllooooowwww.

All sorted now :)
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

runcible wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:38 pm Pete was on Reddit answering questions yesterday. Anyone chime in? It was here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/com ... _june_8th/

Some interesting questions. A few silly ones inevitably.
OK, so sorry if missing the obvious. I've gone to the link, and within the discussion it mentions a new post where he'll be answering the questions, but I can't see this....
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Cancel that - found it by doing a Google Search...

Sorry!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Just had a read through the Reddit, pretty interesting. Seems the legal action against Palmer is still ongoing

and On The Wings Of Mercury may still come out. He had to get this album out of the way first.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

A while ago someone posted a link on here where you could enter a band name, and find out when they were last played on the radio. Can't find the post, but was just wondering whether Sonic had managed to get any radio attention for 'All Things..'

Did anyone bookmark this website?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I saw elsewhere online (think it was popmatters) that he will be playing the album in full whenever the gigs do happen. In the Reddit AMA he mentions a lightshow to go with the gigs, so could be an all round great experience.

Two albums with Cheval Sombre laying around. I wonder how much input he has on those? Are they named as CS albums or CS & SB?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Trying to navigate through that reddit thread makes me feel like an old person trying out the internet for the first time. Is it just me?

I spotted a snippet where Pete said the September shows are unlikely to happen.

Very disappointing I'd still been holding out for this show as a light at the end of the insanity tunnel.

Still holding off on listening to the flacs. Fucking c'mon Mr Postman.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

clewsr wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:50 am Trying to navigate through that reddit thread makes me feel like an old person trying out the internet for the first time. Is it just me?

I spotted a snippet where Pete said the September shows are unlikely to happen.

Very disappointing I'd still been holding out for this show as a light at the end of the insanity tunnel.

Still holding off on listening to the flacs. Fucking c'mon Mr Postman.
The black vinyl pressings arrived today Richard, so hopefully yours have arrived too. They are a big step up on the glow-in-the-dark red vinyl which is a bit weedy and lacking in oomph. The digital is 56:41 long so we have over 28 minutes per side if the vinyl track times are the same as the FLACs. This is a very long album to be on a single LP (and so the FLACs sound very good compared to the vinyl too). It is a great LP and superb value for money but there is a bit of me that would like to see a version pressed over two 12" disks to really allow the power of the tracks shine through.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Can't be bothered to go back through the Reddit thread now (I also found it hard to navigate!) but didn't Pete also say that the new material was played live (perhaps in its entirety?) at gigs in recent years. Perhaps it was still instrumental then.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Are all the reviewers totally deaf to the blatant steal of Suicide's 'Girl' for 'Tawkin Techno'? Or do they just not want to mention it? I refuse to believe they're all that ignorant to the Rev/Vega tune. Or maybe they are, which would be a sad indictment of today's music writing. Sure, there's a nod to Kraftwerk but it's obviously Suicide that's the driving force of the song :roll:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:55 pm Are all the reviewers totally deaf to the blatant steal of Suicide's 'Girl' for 'Tawkin Techno'? Or do they just not want to mention it? I refuse to believe they're all that ignorant to the Rev/Vega tune. Or maybe they are, which would be a sad indictment of today's music writing. Sure, there's a nod to Kraftwerk but it's obviously Suicide that's the driving force of the song :roll:
Yep, its pretty obvious, my ears pricked up to it on first listen
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Sonic joins Tim Burgess for one of his lockdown Twitter Listening Parties later this month :D

https://twitter.com/Tim_Burgess/status/ ... 0171146241

Ps, great review https://thequietus.com/articles/28472-s ... ual-review
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Sonic Boom – guest session (06.20.20)

https://www.mixcloud.com/dublab/sonic-b ... on-062020/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Given the new Sonic album a few listens now, at this point I have to report that as a whole it’s not blowing me away. Some of the more melodic songs I really enjoy, and with those the more layered sound really works well. But the more fully droney ones aren’t doing it for me, something about those worked better when they were really minimalist like before. Hoping they might be growers though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

not sure if these new tour dates have been shared here yet. some good venues.
I'd still be sceptical as to whether live music is back in March to be honest

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/sonic-boom
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'd second that sentiment.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

The additional 2 tracks on the Japanese import are both fantastic too. Almost Nothing Is Nearly Enough is the Like track he's been playing live and almost 15 minutes long, and Tick Tock is beautiful, reminds me of Go To Sleep.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Wonder if he'll make these two extra tracks more available? Just shy of 30 quid on Discogs for the Japenese version and that doesn't include P&P. Maybe a EP/single with these on the "b side"?
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

stegraham wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:17 am Wonder if he'll make these two extra tracks more available? Just shy of 30 quid on Discogs for the Japenese version and that doesn't include P&P. Maybe a EP/single with these on the "b side"?
Think it cost about 40 quid all in. Was hit by £11 customs duty on top. Not arsed though - glad to have it!
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I ordered from these guys, total cost was below the tax threshold for Germany, ended up paying around 27 quid. https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/OTCD- ... 44b591bb3a
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

I ordered two from Amazon Japan, one for me & the other for a mate of mine. Between us it came to around £29 each. That included a pre paid customs tax & they sent it by DHL. I ordered on a Wednesday & it arrived the following Saturday morning! Almost 20 minutes additional music over the two extra tracks. Tick Tock is a light & breezy track, briefly aired on the Sonic Boom Instagram page before the release of ATB=. The other one is, as has been pointed out, the number Pete was doing in the Spectrum gigs last year. The one that goes “Like copper, like gold, like fire, like.....” Although this version has elements of the E.A.R. track DMT Symphony appearing occasionally. Adds nicely to an already excellent album.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

My Japanese CD arrived last week. £12 customs charges!!!! Bastards! I paid for the correct shipping; what the fuck is that all about?!

Just as well the two extra tracks are fucking marvellous!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Bizarrely my one came from Amazon Japan less than 48 hours after I ordered it and without any customs charges. Took me by surprise. Not often that happens... :D