New stuff from Pete this year?

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

natty
Known user

New stuff from Pete this year?

Post by natty »

Website updated this week, for the first time in a while, with this image:

No further info at the moment.
Ian
Known user

Re: New stuff from Pete this year?

Post by Ian »

Small clip on Facebook suggests you might be right. https://www.facebook.com/130990610074/v ... 764385935/
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Ian wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:13 pm Small clip on Facebook suggests you might be right. https://www.facebook.com/130990610074/v ... 764385935/
Saw that the other day. Sounds gorgeous.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Great stuff! It's been a long time since I've had a new Spectrum/Sonic Boom release to add to the collection. Was War Sucks really 2009? Over 10 years ago - blimey!

Ste
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

really look forward to this if it materializes.

that graphic slots right into the new psych scene- very Panda Bear.
Pete needs to capitalise on all his production and mastering work etc with these young bands and get new material out.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Another clip of new music posted on Sonic's social media pages today.

https://www.facebook.com/130990610074/p ... 057920075/
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Sounds like something off Forever Alien. Not complaining, just observing.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Latest post has a hashtag on 03032020.

Make of that what you will.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

natty wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:07 pm Latest post has a hashtag on 03032020.

Interesting, eagerly waiting for next Tuesday to see if anything is revealed :)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I haven't had time to listen. Does it seem like it's new Sonic material and not some other act he's producing?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

TheWarmth wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:16 pm I haven't had time to listen. Does it seem like it's new Sonic material and not some other act he's producing?
As much as anyone can tell, i'm sure its new Sonic material.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:16 pm I haven't had time to listen. Does it seem like it's new Sonic material and not some other act he's producing?
It's all new Sonic solo material.

I actually had a dream last night that Pete played me the whole album!Told him that I loved some of it, thought some was ok and there were a couple of tracks I didn't care for. I also suggested that some folks might find it challenging in parts. He thanked me for my honesty and then revealed that he was actually Italian and Kember wasn't his real surname :lol:
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

natty wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:07 pm Latest post has a hashtag on 03032020.

Most recent video (the one you've just linked to) includes #tomorrow, which is of course 03032020... Could be a download opportunity on the way.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

"Just Imagine" is now on Spotify, and presumably others, as a new Sonic Boom solo (not Spectrum) single.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAqMtNK9kGw

Youtube link sorted...

Very "Panda Bear" to my ears, which is not bad thing 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

exciting. can't listen to the song yet (can't very well blast it out at work!) but if it is reminiscent of Panda Bear that's also a plus for me. that brief clip did sound slightly different to the old Sonic stuff- a bit lusher and more modern.

wonder why this is being released under the Sonic Boom name rather than Spectrum

there is also a new twitter feed @sonic2020boom. it shows that he's on Car Park Records, a record label based in DC.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Listening to it now.
Have been following his new Instagram account with mounting excitement over past few weeks.
Absolutely fantastic to have PK making new music. Sounds pretty cool to these ears.
What a man.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I like it, but I think I'd like it more with less vocals - let the music breathe a little more.

Ste
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

New album All Things Being Equal up for pre-order:
https://sonicboomspacemen3.bandcamp.com ... dEwNimeYv0
I think I feel it coming on
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Deluxe version of album only available from label direct. Glow in the dark vinyl and nice shiny sleeve by the sounds of it.

Deluxe version

Ltd LP and standard available from Sonic's bandcamp. T-shirt also available.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Laz69 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:17 pm Deluxe version of album only available from label direct. Glow in the dark vinyl and nice shiny sleeve by the sounds of it.

Deluxe version

Nice one!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's not actually 'On The Wings of Mercury ' then. but still, exciting 🙂

look at that thank you list on the bandcamp page. its like a list of who's who! Panda Bear and Britta Phillips both do guest spots too.

the artist who did the sleeve has indeed also done some Panda Bear stuff amongst others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Papiro
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

This is really good news!! Can't wait!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

If the single, " All Things Being Equal " is anything to go by then this will hopefully be a great album. I like it. Very lush.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:17 pm Deluxe version of album only available from label direct. Glow in the dark vinyl and nice shiny sleeve by the sounds of it.

Deluxe version

That deluxe version is just over the import duty threshold, so if you do buy a copy from the USA, expect abill and an £8 fee from the Royal Feckin' Mail.

Gouging feckers...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

On Sonic's FB page he mentioned that Carpark ships from USA and UK so i guess there shouldn't be any import tax issues. It would certainly explain why my postage was only $9!

Fancy pants glow in the dark vinyl ordered :D

Liking the first tune. Sonic doing what Sonic does. Would agree with the less vocals comment, just to let the music sing a bit more. Nitpicking though.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Serves me right for being too quick. Bought the bandcamp limited vinyl and a CD, now having to back out to buy the delux vinyl + tshirt + cd from Car Park. Damn the expense. This is the first Sonic Boom album in 30 years! (althoguh I hope I don't get caught out by import duty)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Some people are just suckers for fancy pants vinyl huh :)

Aside from the video there's a longer 7 minute version on YouTube as well.

I really like the new song, there's something so pleasing to the ear about those bubbling synths. An evolution for Pete but still with that essence of Sonic Boom.

That t shirt would melt your eyeballs wouldn't it! Not sure I've got the balls to wear that.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:00 pm
That t shirt would melt your eyeballs wouldn't it! Not sure I've got the balls to wear that.
My eldest daughter has taken to nicking my band tshirt to wear as pyjammas. She wouldn't be seen outside the house with them on though! I imagine this one will end up being adopted as well.

It reminds me of when a few years ago I bought a spacemen 3 tshirst emblazoned with 'for all the fucked up children' on the back. I realsed then I was far too old to wear tshirts with Angry swear words on them.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Ha yeah! I almost bought one of those 'Fucked up Children' T shirts.. Then I realised I'd never actually wear the thing.
I'm sure it would make dress down Friday much more interesting though..
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'm not trying to disrespect the LGBT community, but that t-shirt would be a bit risque' for me. Just sayin ...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

But will the glow in the dark sound anygood🤔
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

spacemanrich wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 pm I'm not trying to disrespect the LGBT community, but that t-shirt would be a bit risque' for me. Just sayin ...
It's not in bands and the colours aren't even in spectrum order! I presume it's supposed to look like the sun over the sea.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

takemymoney.jpg
takemymoney.jpg (118.34 KiB) Viewed 23099 times
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Sold out of the deluxe and ltd vinyl :shock:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

burningwheel wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:16 am Sold out of the deluxe and ltd vinyl :shock:
Those went fast! Managed to nab both a limited and deluxe vinyl.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Ordered the glow in the dark LP + T shirt bundle. I honestly thought it unlikely Pete would ever put out another LP, he seemed to be keeping himself pretty busy with other work.

I like the shirt, not even arsed. Not as good as the one Panda Bear did for "Meets the Grim Reaper" though. That was something else.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

burningwheel wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:31 pm But will the glow in the dark sound anygood🤔
Had the same doubts, but by 10pm last night had a sudden change of heart. I was able to put the deluxe version in the cart but then received a message saying that there was a problem with my credit card. Turned out I hadn't entered my post code with the card security code. When do you ever have to do that? So, went back and did that only to get a message saying that this had now sold out! Oh well....

Limited vinyl is still available from all Independent shops though.

It's great that there is still so much interest in Pete's music and really pleased that this looks like it's going to be a success. Looking forward to hearing the whole album, even if it isn't going to be glowing in the dark.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

From Sonic's FB page a few minutes ago:

Due to Time differences and the fast sale of the Deluxe lp , we are making available the last 100 copies of the Deluxe lp at 10AM EST/3pm GMT on Monday 9th of March .
These copies will only be available without the all over print pre-order T-shirt . There will be some stock of the ltd Foil LPs & non-limited LPs available from usual Independant stores
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ian wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:38 pm
spacemanrich wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 pm I'm not trying to disrespect the LGBT community, but that t-shirt would be a bit risque' for me. Just sayin ...
It's not in bands and the colours aren't even in spectrum order! I presume it's supposed to look like the sun over the sea.
Must admit my initial reaction was the same as spacemanrich! Wasn't until reading your post that i realised it was basically the album cover without the squiggly writing :roll:
I would like the 'Sonic Boom' to be bigger than the LP title though.

I've only just remembered that he also released an E.A.R 12" named All Things Being Equal! :?:
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Vinyl Me Please have it as a VMP Exclusive (300 copies in magenta coloured vinyl):
https://www.vinylmeplease.com/products/ ... ing-equal/
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's good to see that Pete's return is generating a bit of excitement (well relatively speaking in this little corner of the internet).
wonder if there'll be many live dates? I remember Pete saying in an interview a few years back that he was looking to wind down any substantial touring. but he is doing that Fuzz Club festival so hopefully at least one UK date on top of that. scarily it's been 10 years since I saw him as Spectrum (although I have seen him do his electronic thing couple of times since then).
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I was initially desperate for the glow in the dark version and then remembered the p&p charges from the states and also this from the production company I use for pressing my vinyl:-

"Glow in the Dark vinyl records are unassumingly translucent by the light of day, but by night can glow red, blue or green.

They may seem like the best invention since the pizza wheel, but please bear in mind that Glow in the Dark pigments can unfortunately deteriorate some of the acoustic properties of your recording, and usually create increased surface noise."

Anyway, I've reserved a copy of the vinyl with my local record shop and the main thing is that Pete is releasing new music and playing live again. He's really been really responsive on social media and alluded to playing more dates including the UK on Instagram.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

How has he managed to get round any of the monies going to Gerald Palmer? I know it's being released on Carpark and not Space Age, but thought the whole issue was that he also owned the rights to anything Sonic related.

Incidentally looking at the Adasam website, it also seems to feature Glass Redux, and therefore the reissue Of F***** Up Inside.....

Also looking at the website it points to Sonic's Bandcamp and All Things... making me think and hoping not that some of the proceeds will head the wrong way...
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Dreamweapon wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:09 am How has he managed to get round any of the monies going to Gerald Palmer? I know it's being released on Carpark and not Space Age, but thought the whole issue was that he also owned the rights to anything Sonic related.

Incidentally looking at the Adasam website, it also seems to feature Glass Redux, and therefore the reissue Of F***** Up Inside.....

Also looking at the website it points to Sonic's Bandcamp and All Things... making me think and hoping not that some of the proceeds will head the wrong way...
I don't think so. I think he only owns the rights to Fire-era Spacemen 3 - hence no reissues of SOC, PP or Performance or any of the records Sonic made with Silvertone on SpaceAge - and anything Sonic released on SpaceAge as Spectrum or E.A.R.

He's also reissued For All The..., Dreamweapon and Taking Drugs, so seems to have grabbed the rights to anything he possibly could relating to the band.

Don't think he automatically owns publishing rights to Pete's (or, for that matter, Jason's) music per se though.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Unless I missed it earlier, Metacritic has All Things Being Equal by Sonic Boom getting released June 5.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah I very much doubt Gerald Palmer had any hand in the new Sonic album. He probably put the links on his site to give it some appearance of legitimacy
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Would you put anything past Greasy Palmer at this point?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

No one? :? I think it's fucking great and probably should've been the lead-off track rather than 'Just Imagine'. Should also be longer!

Really looking forward to the album.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

sunray wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:39 am No one? :? I think it's fucking great and probably should've been the lead-off track rather than 'Just Imagine'. Should also be longer!

I do like it but think I prefer Just Imagine. Only heard it once so far though. Really looking forward to the album, but would rather we don't get any more previews, it's great to enjoy a whole album's worth of new stuff in one go. They could always release the whole album early, wouldn't complain about that!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Ian wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:27 am
sunray wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:39 am No one? :? I think it's fucking great and probably should've been the lead-off track rather than 'Just Imagine'. Should also be longer!

I do like it but think I prefer Just Imagine. Only heard it once so far though. Really looking forward to the album, but would rather we don't get any more previews, it's great to enjoy a whole album's worth of new stuff in one go. They could always release the whole album early, wouldn't complain about that!
I have ordered the LPs and am trying very hard not to hear any of this music before it lands on the platter of my turntable.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

a mention in the new york times, no less.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/arts ... -1975.html
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

olan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:47 pm I have ordered the LPs and am trying very hard not to hear any of this music before it lands on the platter of my turntable.
I have absolutely same attitude. Just happen to share totally same approach. Will avoid every preview as open fire, though i have ordered (probably) every format of his new album and will try to collect few still missing things to my collection and THEN, oh :D , what an evening i will have spinning all that mind expansion.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I prefer Just Imagine myself! that sounded like something slightly new for Pete whereas this is in a similar vein to his previous stuff
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

We all probably want to hear something new from Pete but we also know what he does best, being predominantly coming from an electronics perspective. I think the new track is better than Just Imagine IMO as it has a slightly different dynamic to the repetative, mantra nature of Just Imagine. Some of the sound bites that have been leaked by him suggest the album could be very interesting, which can only be good.

I'm super excited to get the LP now although, I hope it's not delayed too much by the current situation. No mention of delays so far though...
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Loving both tracks, astonished we have any new music by him tbh, the fact its coming out in the middle of this pandemic is also weird, I think Sonic understands that the music industry has moved on in the last 30 yrs, and a new album has to be bled into social media to connect with people who might wont it, Sonic`s not in a position where he can surprise us all by just throwing a new album out there, the way he`s doing it is just the business
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

The Way That You Live is the best thing that has happened this year.

It's an absolute gem.

The timing is unbelievable.

Underlying tone is bang on to any positives that will come out of the current cluster fuck
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah I mean I don't dislike the new one.. and I'm aware that Pete is an artist who works within certain parameters. just prefer Just Imagine at this early stage. definitely looking forward to the album.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I really like the new stuff I've heard so far. Love the artwork too!
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Interview on the Vinyl Me Please site:
[url][http://magazine.vinylmeplease.com/magaz ... In0%3D/url]
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Just posted another new track "Things Like This (A Little Bit Deeper)" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Joc9YZ ... enG2-OYY38
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'm following Olan and Veiko's lead and ignoring this one. So far anyway.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

New one is really good, I don't think you guys will be disappointed. Can definitely hear the Panda Bear influence again.
This album is shaping up to be great.